• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What the fuck!?!? I thought I was past this PS4 Pro overheating bullshit!!!

Nickolaidas

Sigh ...

My PS4 Pro went like a jet engine whenever I would play a graphically demanding game like Injustice 2, Spider-Man, Horizon or God of War. I got fed up with this shit, bought a solid thermal paste, a Nidec fan to replace the other one, opened the console, cleaned the heat sink (which didn't have any problem, tbh it was 95% clean of dust), replaced the thermal paste, opened a hole in the PS4 lid above the fan in order to help it get better and cooler air faster, then … closed the console.

I tried Mafia III, Horizon and God of War (games that literally pushed the old fan to its high-pitched limits within 3 minutes) and I noticed amazing changes. The fan would only start to go faster after 20 minutes, and it would be 3 times quieter than the older one was. So I said, cool, it was worth it.

A few hours ago I booted up Spider-Man after many months of playing that game and my jaw hit the floor.

The fan goes 10 times louder in this game while traversing the city and fighting baddies, goes whisper quiet when in the map screen, and at irregular intervals goes normal when traversing the city. What the fuck!? Of all the AAA games I've played, Spider-Man makes my PS4 Pro sound EVEN WORSE than it did with the OLD fan - while the other games that stretched it to its limits do not seem to do so.

The weirdest shit is the fact that my Pro doesn't seem to get very hot when the fan goes into overdrive (while it used to when the old fan would go wild). I'm at a loss.

How the heck is that even possible?!

I'm going to boot up a few other games to see how they fare, fan wise.

Caffeine

could just be software applying a fan profile. doesnt actually know you swapped out fans and isnt based on heat build up but on game load. the last one was a blower design so it was isolated to basically the back of the console I assume this one is larger in mm and blows out the top and the sound is coming from it directly instead of the back bouncing off a wall probably.

Last edited:

Alebrije

Maybe its the heat the citie emits.

giphy.gif

I friend did the same , made a hole on his PRO but covered it with some mesh.....some game are louder than others...but basically he says its an improvement compared to original set. Not looking to console war but being honest is what I like about my XboneX ....is very quiet even on games like RDR2... that is why did not get a PRO and the base PS4 that also is quiet. I am pretty sure Sony will improve PS5 on this aspect.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

my XboneX ....is very quiet even on games like RDR2... that is why did not get a PRO and the base PS4 that also is quiet. I am pretty sure Sony will improve PS5 on this aspect.

Funny thing is, while my X1-X was whisper quiet a year ago when I got it, its fan begins to rear its ugly head when I'm playing DMC V or Gears 5. Nothing as tragic as the Pro, though.

Shagger

Banned
I've been quite lucky the the PS4 noise issue I think. I have a near launch console that's only started to get noisy in the last 6 - 9 months. Life is, indeed, Strange because bizarrely Life is Strange 2 is the game that it reacts by far the worst to. Maybe it's something about that version of Unreal Engine 4 that just makes the PS4 firmware panic.

Nickolaidas

I dont understand how some of you get so annoyed by this... seems like your life risks if the fan gets loud enough.

Just let it do its work and keep your console alive.
This is the worst argument one can hear when talking about said subject. Why the heck should anyone be OK with a machine sounding like a vacuum cleaner? It's loud, annoying and irritating. It's not something one can just wave away.

Nickolaidas

could just be software applying a fan profile. doesnt actually know you swapped out fans and isnt based on heat build up but on game load. the last one was a blower design so it was isolated to basically the back of the console I assume this one is larger in mm and blows out the top and the sound is coming from it directly instead of the back bouncing off a wall probably.

I thought about that as well. Maybe a lot of people complained about the game frying their PS4 Pros so Insomniac patched the game to have the fans work at overdrive in order to prevent the console from overheating.

joe_zazen

Opening a hole? Like drilling one? That ruins the airpressue necessary to cool other components such as power supply.

Use some gaffers tape etc to cover that up.

Last edited:

joe_zazen

M
I'll let you in on a little secret. It works.

As is also opening the PS4 upper lid and have the console 'exposed'.

It changes airflow. I cant say i understand it, but i trust the engineers knew what they were doing when they designed it without a hole above apu.

Last edited:
What's the RPM on the new fan compared to the old? if its faster than stock you might have actually fucked up.

Blower fans are loud, full stop. There's no getting around that. They needed to keep the RPM down (about 2500) but obviously the Pro's heatsink is simply not up to it.

I do know some games fuck up though by not capping the framerate in menu's, so they tend to run at max frames and putting fan usage at 100%. Days Gone was the most recent example of this.

Nickolaidas

What's the RPM on the new fan compared to the old? if its faster than stock you might have actually fucked up.

I do not believe it's the fan's fault. If it was, every single AAA game I've played should've looked at my Pro and go "WANNA TAKE YOU FOR A RIDE!!" So far, it's only Spidey who seems to have a problem with my fan.

I actually think that Peter's an asshole.

Alebrije

Also not all the PRO are the same regarding loud :

Sony has discretely launched its quietest PlayStation 4 Pro yet with the CUH-7200 that is only available as part of the Red Dead Redemption 2 bundle (CUH-7216B). The CUH-7200 brings a revised power supply and better acoustics with almost no cooling system whine or fan noise during gaming.

The CUH-7200 had the least noise emissions of the three, recording just 44 dB and 48 dB at the top and rear respectively — 6 dB lesser than the CUH-7000 and up to 3 dB lesser than the CUH-7100.

gDwEHEY.png

Original tread : https://www.neogaf.com/threads/the-...cuh-7200-reviewed-by-digital-foundry.1467726/

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

CAN ANYONE HEAR ME!?!? THIS IS NICKOLAIDAS - MAYBE MY LAST POST (a cupboard falls over) - FUCK! - MY LAST POST FROM THIS EARTH!! I JUST RAN GOD OF WAR - THE FAN - THE FAN MAKES SUCH A LARGE NOISE (window shatters) THAT I DON'T KNOW - DON'T KNOW IF I CAN MAKE IT!! I JUST WANTED YOU GUYS TO KNOW THAT

Whitecrow

Banned
This is the worst argument one can hear when talking about said subject. Why the heck should anyone be OK with a machine sounding like a vacuum cleaner? It's loud, annoying and irritating. It's not something one can just wave away.
You could learn to deal with it if you didnt think that much about it and make a mountain out of a sand grain. But if you are always expecting to hear the noise and paying attention to how loud it is, of course you will find it annoying irritating and whatever.

Caffeine

CAN ANYONE HEAR ME!?!? THIS IS NICKOLAIDAS - MAYBE MY LAST POST (a cupboard falls over) - FUCK! - MY LAST POST FROM THIS EARTH!! I JUST RAN GOD OF WAR - THE FAN - THE FAN MAKES SUCH A LARGE NOISE (window shatters) THAT I DON'T KNOW - DON'T KNOW IF I CAN MAKE IT!! I JUST WANTED YOU GUYS TO KNOW THAT

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Mine started doing alright but lately it's getting real loud. Been playing Iceborne and the thing just roars. Might try opening up to see wether there's dust buildup or it's a different issue altogether.

Caffeine

I think they learn from mistakes the 360 was a red ring machine, now xbox one s and x is whisper silent and cool.

ethomaz

Banned
That is why I buy day one consoles... they never given issues.

Quiet and cool even here in Brasil... well it does got a bit loud when stay sometime in unlocked menus.

Last edited:

PocoJoe

Banned
I dont understand how some of you get so annoyed by this... seems like your life risks if the fan gets loud enough.

Just let it do its work and keep your console alive.

Only simple minded or people with no imagination say things like that.

Think something that annoys you, then imagine that it doesnt annoy somebody else. Does it make your subjective experience any less? No.

Sound sensitivity varies greatly, some dont even notice if rock band plays in the next room and someone gets annoyed if some one sneezes.

I have had 4x OG and 2x pro

2 OG were so loud that it masked games, could not hear what characters were saying and constant annoying vacuum noice in my ears. And no, playing on fucking loud volume isnt an option, and headphones wont help because I could still hear it clearly.

1st Pro were like this too.

And those that were normal = still audible but not annoying enough to bother me

Maybe you havent heard really loud one or have higher than normal tolerance?

Imagine vacuum cleaner next to your head, still "i cant imagine why it brothers anybody"?

We all have our tolerances for noise pollution

PocoJoe

Banned
That is why I buy day consoles... they never given issues.

Quiet and cool even here in Brasil... well it does got a bit loud when stay sometime in unlocked menus.

Day consoles? You mean day one?

Every day one pre-ordered playstation after ps1 have been fucking loud(that i have bought). So it is just luck, some are louder than others, day one or not.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Day consoles? You mean day one?

Every day one pre-ordered playstation after ps1 have been fucking loud(that i have bought). So it is just luck, some are louder than others, day one or not.
Yeap day one... it looks like the PS4 material got cheaper after the day one models.

And PS3 day is a gem... it is the best version of the console by a long shot.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Has Sony ever acknowledged how much of a clusterfuck the PS4's heating/cooling was? Any word on whether they'll be better for the next gen?

Anything?

Fuckin sony with their minimal cooling efforts. Been a problem since ps2 slim. Not necessarily noise, but overall cooling. My launch pro was too loud to tolerate and I sold it.

My current pro 7200 series is pretty quiet, but it does run hotter which surely isnt good for lifespan.

If there is one thing i dont expect from a sony machine it's good cooling

Last edited:

BlackTron

This was exactly my first thought. It's likely that no matter how cool your PS4 actually is it will rev the fan in these sections no matter what.

So by putting a hole in it to keep it cool, you really just added a place for sound to escape more audibly.

I don't have a PS4 Pro but the way you guys talk about it. You make it sound like I could set it up on the other side of a wall and the sonic vibrations would still be making shit fall off the shelf over my TV.

Top Bottom