• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What the fuck!?!? I thought I was past this PS4 Pro overheating bullshit!!!

Nickolaidas

I don't have a PS4 Pro but the way you guys talk about it. You make it sound like I could set it up on the other side of a wall and the sonic vibrations would still be making shit fall off the shelf over my TV.

It can be really irritating. Imagine playing a horror game where it is supposed to be deathly silent (ala RE7) and you must hear creeks and bumping in the ceiling ... all the while being accompanied by the fucking vacuum cleaner your PS4 becomes. It is immersion breaking and it angers me.

Ten_Fold

My base ps4 gets loud when I play the new COD beta or when my girl plays apex. It’s mostly quiet with other games.

Boss Mog

When I played Spider-man on my Pro the fans would go vacuum level, but only when I was in small contained areas like Doc Oc's lab or F.E.A.S.T. they'd be whisper quiet when I was out in the open world. Makes absolutely no sense, surely the open world is more demanding.

BigBooper

You cut a hole in the case and wonder why it's louder? I got a small 4 inch usb fan that I set near the back of the PS4 to move the hot air away.

Bootyful

Banned
I dont understand how some of you get so annoyed by this... seems like your life risks if the fan gets loud enough.

Just let it do its work and keep your console alive.
It's annoying as fuck. Even more so when I go from the X to the Pro.

Last edited:
I found the solution that worked for me best is setting the console to 1080p. This doesn't fix it completely (still goes apeshit during Spider-Man cutscenes, or 60fps games for example), but helps a lot... just sucks that coil whine is much easier to hear when the fan doesn't have to work as hard. I find that much worse than the loud fan. I'm on a 7116b.

Setting to 1080p output might not be an option if you want higher resolutions, though.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
D1b0Pl1U4AAmzkM.jpg

I can't believe people are ok with the jet engine Ps4 Pro.

Dreamer RD

It's no use changing thermal paste or whatever (although some people believe that console becomes more quiet).
The fan speed is controlled by software directly. Why do you think a garbage game with shitty anime graphics like YS Lacrimosa of Dana - makes PS4 Pro a vacuum cleaner like GoW 2018 or Injustice 2? Because it is programmed that way. Worthless programmers are the ones to blame.
I have CUH-7016B console with SSD since 2017 and it's also becomes jet in games OP mentioned. I tried fan control payload (HEN on 5.05 firmware) and you can basically disable the fan or keep it's speed to a minimum even in graphic-heavy games. But it's not recommended for obvious reasons.

Being a guy who buys almost every system (not a fan boy...), I decided to only upgrade the Xbox one to the X, and leave the PS4 because of this. My PlayStation has been untouched this gen because of the fan noise issue. I almost always end up turning the thing off because the noise always pisses me off.

nkarafo

Wouldn't be great if you could install one of these babies on a console?

35-103-099-08.jpg

Seriously though, can you mod a console case and go crazy with it? I'd rather have an ugly silent box instead of a nice looking loud one.

Barakov

I see the compaints about the pro loudness but it seems to die down after the dumb system notices that you're playing a game.

Jtibh

Banned
My fan only goes full retard when i am opening the map or menu on any game.
But fuck i rather take the hoover over all my ps1 and ps2 disk drive failures.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The Pro was put together as cheaply as possible

I keep telling people to sell them while they still work/can

... and buy what console playing the games they were enjoying, assuming they had Sony published titles or looked forward to upcoming ones, exactly with the money made from the sale ;)?

Last edited:

The Shepard

Opening a hole? Like drilling one? That ruins the airpressue necessary to cool other components such as power supply.

Use some gaffers tape etc to cover that up.

Exactly, the ps4 sucks in air from the sides to cool down the internals. Putting a hole in the top is just going to blow all that cool air out and make the fan go into overdrive. That ps4 is fucked if you don't fix that hole.

Best way to keep your pro quiet is to make sure your vents are free from dust, make sure the room it's in is not to hot and if you reapply the thermal paste make sure you don't put to much on.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

I wish console manufacturers would sell official liquid cooling kits or liquid cooled versions.
I can't play with headsets, it hurts my ears. My solution is kinda stupid, I have 2 TVs next to each other, one for gaming the other for cable TV. The noise of TV shows covers up the console sound. It works for me because the sound of people talking in other languages that aren't my native one is like white noise to me and it's a natural sound at the same time, unlike the console fan and disc drive noise.

Nickolaidas

OK, I've been tinkering a bit with some games, and I'm beginning to suspect it's definitely software related.

When I played God of War / Witcher III / Spider-Man, the fan goes into overdrive, but the second I quit the games, the PS4 goes death silent.

In the past (with the old thermal paste and the old fan), when the PS4 would go fan-whack, when I would quit the game, the fan would still be in overdrive for a good 10 minutes before it gradually went slower and slower until it went silent as well. Which means that, back then, the system was ACTUALLY hot, and needed the fan to keep working in order to cool it off. The air was also very hot, while now (with the new paste and fan) while the fan goes ape, the air isn't *really* hot hot, but rather … just warm. As if the system doesn't really have a cooling issue and someone is just telling the machine to use its fan to the max, just to be safe.

The only way to know for sure is to re-install an older PS4 firmware update and see if it is indeed system related. Any clues of doing that without telling my console to go back to factory settings?

I have medium size Sony speakers I got for 300 us maybe, never heard my Ps4 or ps4 pro fan. Gonna turn my volume down so I can be annoyed by the fan.

I remember Xbox 360 making some sounds, but never to stop playing a game.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
My solution was to stop playing the damn thing. The fan was beyond ridiculous! It's been sitting under the TV collecting dust now for almost a year, even though I have so many great games on it.

giphy.gif

scalman

yes it can get loud with no mans sky or some other games, so what ? i allways play games with loud sound or headphones so thats no bother me. mine stands on side. nothing vibrates its just going loud. clean damn dust once in the while.

Petrae

My solution was to stop playing the damn thing. The fan was beyond ridiculous! It's been sitting under the TV collecting dust now for almost a year, even though I have so many great games on it.

giphy.gif

Any games that make my consoles get loud— either on my plebeian PS4 or my Xbox One X— get either traded in or deleted. Ni No Kuni II PS4 was one of these that constantly cranked up the fan noise. Devil May Cry V for Xbox One X was another.

Most games I own run quietly, so when one doesn’t, it’s a huge red flag for me and I don’t want to chance console overheating or other damage. Better to be a bit paranoid than have to cough up hundreds of dollars to replace a console.

Ar¢tos

OK, I've been tinkering a bit with some games, and I'm beginning to suspect it's definitely software related.

When I played God of War / Witcher III / Spider-Man, the fan goes into overdrive, but the second I quit the games, the PS4 goes death silent.

In the past (with the old thermal paste and the old fan), when the PS4 would go fan-whack, when I would quit the game, the fan would still be in overdrive for a good 10 minutes before it gradually went slower and slower until it went silent as well. Which means that, back then, the system was ACTUALLY hot, and needed the fan to keep working in order to cool it off. The air was also very hot, while now (with the new paste and fan) while the fan goes ape, the air isn't *really* hot hot, but rather … just warm. As if the system doesn't really have a cooling issue and someone is just telling the machine to use its fan to the max, just to be safe.

The only way to know for sure is to re-install an older PS4 firmware update and see if it is indeed system related. Any clues of doing that without telling my console to go back to factory settings?
Could the games themselves have some control over the fan speed, bypassing the OS presets for APU temperature?

Nickolaidas

Could the games themselves have some control over the fan speed, bypassing the OS presets for APU temperature?
That's my guess. I can't accept that the new thermal paste which I used in the end of July (and was expensive AAA quality to boot) simply stop 'working' after two months, and the fan which worked beautifully when I installed it two months ago now has problems. I play the same games, so it can't be the fact that I started playing more 'hardware heavy' games.

I think the latest PS4 firmware update did this. I haven't used my PS4 for the past three weeks, so I can't make the connection with 100% certainty, but there's something weird going on, and it doesn't have to do with my console's materials.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Any games that make my consoles get loud— either on my plebeian PS4 or my Xbox One X— get either traded in or deleted. Ni No Kuni II PS4 was one of these that constantly cranked up the fan noise. Devil May Cry V for Xbox One X was another.

Most games I own run quietly, so when one doesn’t, it’s a huge red flag for me and I don’t want to chance console overheating or other damage. Better to be a bit paranoid than have to cough up hundreds of dollars to replace a console.

Devil May Cry V and Gears 5 are the only X1-X games that make me hear my console's fan. It's not annoying in any way, it's just noticeable to the point that I said "Ah yeah, that console has a fan too, hasn't it?"

So I guess that I got lucky with my X1-X, or rather, you got way unlucky with yours. I almost never hear complaints about the X1-X's fan.

Nickolaidas

A good set of gaming headphones is the best remedy for a loud system.
That's a great idea, save for a couple of problems.

1) I live in a house where I'm constantly called upon from the lower floor to do a chore of some kind. Wearing headphones makes said people communicating with me nigh impossible,

2) I didn't buy a 1,000$ home theater just so that I wore headphones,

3) They hurt after a while.

Last edited:

Norse

1) I live in a house where I'm constantly called upon from the lower floor to do a chore of some kind. Wearing headphones makes said people communicating with me nigh impossible,

Good points. It is sad that a PS4 fan can overpower a $1000 surround system. Fix it Sony!!!

Also not all the PRO are the same regarding loud :

Sony has discretely launched its quietest PlayStation 4 Pro yet with the CUH-7200 that is only available as part of the Red Dead Redemption 2 bundle (CUH-7216B). The CUH-7200 brings a revised power supply and better acoustics with almost no cooling system whine or fan noise during gaming.

The CUH-7200 had the least noise emissions of the three, recording just 44 dB and 48 dB at the top and rear respectively — 6 dB lesser than the CUH-7000 and up to 3 dB lesser than the CUH-7100.

gDwEHEY.png

Original tread : https://www.neogaf.com/threads/the-...cuh-7200-reviewed-by-digital-foundry.1467726/

So it looks like they've just traded a hotter chip for a quieter fan curve.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

AV or soundbar

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Disregarding cooling is one of SONY's greatest problems, heat and cooling is a constant battle in general for consoles and should be invested into going into next gen.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I am going to try one of these:

I'll report back whether it works or not. I had my 2013 PS4 shut down last night after flashing the "PS4 is too hot. Please shut down" message. I'm grateful that it at least shuts down as a precaution instead of melting itself (lol RRoD), but I was in the middle of a chapter in Titanfall 2.

I'll report back whether or not it helps the issue. My system has been running "hot" for about a year now, but this is the first time games are shutting the system down due to overheating.

Nickolaidas

I am going to try one of these:

I'll report back whether it works or not. I had my 2013 PS4 shut down last night after flashing the "PS4 is too hot. Please shut down" message. I'm grateful that it at least shuts down as a precaution instead of melting itself (lol RRoD), but I was in the middle of a chapter in Titanfall 2.

I'll report back whether or not it helps the issue. My system has been running "hot" for about a year now, but this is the first time games are shutting the system down due to overheating.
I've heard it's a 50-50 with those things. Some break down after a week, some are just as noisy as the regular fan, some work fine.

But that's the annoying part - my PS4 isn't getting hot. At least, not hot enough to warrant the fan going apeshit. Doom stresses the fan almost as much as God of War, but the second I quit the game, my PS4 is silent as a grave and the air coming out is just warm, not hot as it was with the previous paste and fan.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I've heard it's a 50-50 with those things. Some break down after a week, some are just as noisy as the regular fan, some work fine.

But that's the annoying part - my PS4 isn't getting hot. At least, not hot enough to warrant the fan going apeshit. Doom stresses the fan almost as much as God of War, but the second I quit the game, my PS4 is silent as a grave and the air coming out is just warm, not hot as it was with the previous paste and fan.
That's even worse.

Nickolaidas

Fuck it. Tomorrow when I get back from work, I'll re-open my PS4 and change the thermal paste again.

Maybe I used too little and it dried out? No clue. I'll change it nonetheless. If that doesn't work, maybe I'll swap the fan (yet) again.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'm kinda hoping that there's another PS4 revision at some point, assuming the PS5 isn't fully backwards-compatible. My Pro started off fine, but it is comically loud now. Like, I'm wiling to pay more for a console, just make it work right.

Fuck it. Tomorrow when I get back from work, I'll re-open my PS4 and change the thermal paste again.

Maybe I used too little and it dried out? No clue. I'll change it nonetheless. If that doesn't work, maybe I'll swap the fan (yet) again.
Maybe you didn't tighten the screws properly, so the heatsink is not putting enough pressure on the APU? They could've loosened further from vibrations (BD drive and Fan) leading to your current problems (higher temps/fan speed and vibrations).

Just a wild guess, though, however I doubt that your thermal paste dried out, that shouldn't be possible after only a few month... this is a problem after years, no matter how much of it you use.

Last edited:
Fuck It !!!!

Guys and Gals please recommend me the BEST thermal paste and thermal heat pads for my PS4 Pro. I want to take it apart and completely redo these so the fan doesn't go crazy.
If i play eFootbal Pro Evo 2020 the fans go nuts. I have had my PS4 Pro crash a few times now while in the Division 2 menu checking out my gear. I hate that the fans go crazy because it makes my console look and sound cheap.

Anyone please recommend best parts to replace thermal pads and thermal paste. I prefer to shop on Amazon as i have an account with them.

Nickolaidas

Fuck It !!!!

Guys and Gals please recommend me the BEST thermal paste and thermal heat pads for my PS4 Pro. I want to take it apart and completely redo these so the fan doesn't go crazy.
If i play eFootbal Pro Evo 2020 the fans go nuts. I have had my PS4 Pro crash a few times now while in the Division 2 menu checking out my gear. I hate that the fans go crazy because it makes my console look and sound cheap.

Anyone please recommend best parts to replace thermal pads and thermal paste. I prefer to shop on Amazon as i have an account with them.

The guy whose video I'll watch (again) to pick apart my Pro uses the following thermal paste:

And here's the video opening and cleaning the Pro, top to bottom:

As for thermal pads, this old ERA thread may be of use to you:

The guy whose video I'll watch (again) to pick apart my Pro uses the following thermal paste:

And here's the video opening and cleaning the Pro, top to bottom:

As for thermal pads, this old ERA thread may be of use to you:

I love you man. In the nicest and most non-weird way. I really do and god bless you. I will follow these links.

xool

Dude your RAM chips are overheating (99% certain) - that's why it's specific to certain bandwidth heavy games.

The PS4/PS4-Pro fan blows out the back and is supposed to suck in through the slits on the side - the air entering on the side goes both under and over the main PCB - the RAM chips are on the underside of the PCB and covered with a metal plate that acts as a heat diffuser.

You can see it here https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/PlayStation+4+Pro+Teardown/72946

Image from ifixit of bottom of PCB - see the RAM chips - the metal plate has conductive pads stuck to the metal plate above (you might want to check/replace these too if you really want to be certain)
q4lSM0y.jpg

Don't take my word for it - eg Sony Engineer Compares PS4 to Formula 1 Car; Shares Detailed Schematics and Info on Cooling Solution [comment the PS4-Pro cooling design is the same]

• The airflow design of the PS4 is based on the PS3 version N ..
  • Air coming from the intake port is split in two and used to cool both the bottom and the top of the main board, then flows into the heat sink, cools the internal power source and then is expelled through the exhaust port.
  • The airflow is regulated and channeled thanks to the difference between areas of positive pressure and negative pressure generated by the cooling fan.

(original japanese www.inside-games.jp)
Here's a diagram (it's upside down in the PS4/Pro) :
VgjlfIo.jpg

(grey: heatsink ; blue: fan ; red : APU and RAM ; dark green : PCB ; light red : PSU )

If you cut a hole in the top the fan will suck through there, and won't suck through the case, so your PCB won't get properly cooled. The RAM can get too hot even when the APU isn't working that hard if there's a lot of access ..

(ton of other people told you this too)

You need to cover/close that hole you cut.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Dude your RAM chips are overheating (99% certain) - that's why it's specific to certain bandwidth heavy games.

The PS4/PS4-Pro fan blows out the back and is supposed to suck in through the slits on the side - the air entering on the side goes both under and over the main PCB - the RAM chips are on the underside of the PCB and covered with a metal plate that acts as a heat diffuser.

You can see it here https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/PlayStation+4+Pro+Teardown/72946

Image from ifixit of bottom of PCB - see the RAM chips - the metal plate has conductive pads stuck to the metal plate above (you might want to check/replace these too if you really want to be certain)
q4lSM0y.jpg

Don't take my word for it - eg Sony Engineer Compares PS4 to Formula 1 Car; Shares Detailed Schematics and Info on Cooling Solution [comment the PS4-Pro cooling design is the same]

(original japanese www.inside-games.jp)
Here's a diagram (it's upside down in the PS4/Pro) :
VgjlfIo.jpg

(grey: heatsink ; blue: fan ; red : APU and RAM ; dark green : PCB ; light red : PSU )

If you cut a hole in the top the fan will suck through there, and won't suck through the case, so your PCB won't get properly cooled. The RAM can get too hot even when the APU isn't working that hard if there's a lot of access ..

(ton of other people told you this too)

You need to cover/close that hole you cut.
Thanks for the reply.

Thing is, I covered the hole and nothing changed.

I too suspected the thermal pads, though I don't know why they decided to stop working now. I had bought several 50mm new ones to replace the old ones, but I saw that the original pads were 100mm ones, so I decided not to replace them with pads half their thickness. Should I stack two of each in order to reach 100mm thickness?

Ellis

My launch model base PS4 is incredibly loud when playing demanding titles, especially games that target 60fps like RE2. It gets to the point where I would rather not play the thing, at all.

I also took it apart a couple of years ago and replaced the TP with some MX-4, but it made no difference. The machine is just badly designed when it comes to airflow.

Shouldn't have to contemplate double dipping for a PC version, just so I don't have to hear a fucking passenger jet in my living room.

Last edited:

xool

Thanks for the reply.

Thing is, I covered the hole and nothing changed.

I too suspected the thermal pads, though I don't know why they decided to stop working now. I had bought several 50mm new ones to replace the old ones, but I saw that the original pads were 100mm ones, so I decided not to replace them with pads half their thickness. Should I stack two of each in order to reach 100mm thickness?

Do you mean 100mm wide (they're ~1mm thick ?) I guess it would be ok two side by side..

Seeing as you intend to re-paste I'd try running the machine just before you open it, and to some touch tests when it's open - see if you can find the hotspot.

There are other possibilities like a thermal sensor malfunctioned and stuff like that .. otherwise dunno

Nickolaidas

Do you mean 100mm wide (they're ~1mm thick ?) I guess it would be ok two side by side..

Seeing as you intend to re-paste I'd try running the machine just before you open it, and to some touch tests when it's open - see if you can find the hotspot.

There are other possibilities like a thermal sensor malfunctioned and stuff like that .. otherwise dunno
Sorry about the confusion.

Yeah, I meant they're half as thick as the pads inside. So, should I put one on top of the other in order to match the originals in thickness?

Top Bottom