• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolverine: What should the gameplay be like?

Robb

Gold Member
Devil May Cry, with a rage meter that builds as you combo.
This would be amazing. But it’s Sony, so I think it’s pretty much guaranteed to either be over-the-shoulder and slow/heavy like GoW or use the same fighting style as Spider-Man.

Moses85

Eddie Murphy What GIF by Laff

Michael Scott No GIF

Crayon

And this is honestly why modern AAA gaming is so fucking depressing.

I'm sorry, but GoW 2018's combat and the SM2018 combat was fucking boring beyond belief, and it definitely felt watered down to appeal to casuals. I played GoW on hard and by the end I was only playing for the story, the combat was just getting incredibly repetitive and dull. They lack extremely little depth to not alienate audiences, and thats a bad bad bad thing.

Spider-Man 2 was a massive step up, on hard it actually felt somewhat difficult, but its still not really as rewarding or interesting as the Arkham games' combat.

Tbh I think DMC5 has some of the best combat of any game I can think of thats released within the past decade, Capcom really made a gem of game, I think I've replayed it like 4-5 times and I still want to play it again some day soon.

I don't even compare japanese fighting gameplay to western ones. It's just not on the same level. I did play both those games you mentioned and I thought they both played excellent by western standards.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Has to be mature. I wanna see limbs flying off. Awesome combat, combo mad. Running up walls and buildings with your claws etc. Bring in deadpool and cable lol

Wolverine will be a total conversion mod with the Spiderman blueprint, like Shadow of Mordor was compared to Batman.
In essence those three game series have been all the same in their gameplay and Wolverine will hardly be insanely experimental. More interesting is to me the game worlds and if it is again a game's story ruined by open world and distracting repetitive mini quests all over a map or if it is more like Arkham Asylum.

More interesting is to me the game worlds and if it is again a game's story ruined by open world and distracting repetitive mini quests all over a map or if it is more like Arkham Asylum.
Neither. Based on the leaks I’m leaning heavily towards it being a narrative adventure with open zones, kind of like the Ratchet and Clank series.

Arkham Asylum was a 3d metroidvania by comparison.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I hope there are lots of sections where wolverine goes to a lab and has to put pieces of a circuit in place so the voltage matches the number at the top of the screen. 👌

Ultimately, the best use of the licence would be a brawler where every time you defeat say 2 enemies, the game would cut to an arkanoid sort of game where you'd see wolverine becoming furious in the background as long as you keep knocking the bricks down. A bit like puzzle fighter, perhaps. Clear 100 levels and Wolverine's rage meter would make him invincible for 12 seconds of mayhem where he'll attack enemies by throwing cocktails, fruit and pillows, sending feathers flying across the screen.

If you don't clear 100 levels of Arkanoid style gaming, Wolverine's trousers comedically fall down, revealing some boxer shorts printed with a kiss 💋 pattern or perhaps other patterns that can be unlocked (DLC?) Wolverine will blush and be briefly vulnerable to being one shot killed by Magneto, who is always lurking onscreen, but slightly out of reach of Wolverine's sharp finger nails. Magneto will use his powers to fling household appliances at Wolverine, microwaves, blenders (with a metal jug, not glass) and even fridges and tumble driers will need to be dodged. Even if Wolverine dodges the appliances they'll still appear in the next Arkanoid section of the game, raising the challenge for players, who as Wolverine, will attempt to clear bricks AND household appliances.

"Best use of a superhero license"
- 10/10 PlayStation Nation.

Thirty7ven

Banned
If you know the character and its powers, and aim do it justice, then we are looking at a ronin who’s the deadliest tracker in the world who goes berserk. So you want to be up close to the character, you want a mystery with detective work, you want the action to be bloody, an emotional story with meaningful stakes for the characters (not a save the world story), and ideally you want a wide linear approach to level design that accommodates different kind of gameplay scenarios, from action to horror. The combat itself needs to be simple, say like Sifu is, yet hard to master, like Sifu is.

It’s a hard game to make, difficult to strike the right balance, but in the end if you do the character justice and don’t just make a mindless brawler like your typical dev/gamer would want(because they don’t know the character really), you might just make something that will get people from all types to be enamored with it.

Is Insomniac the right studio to do this? They would not be my first choice at all, but hopefully they know what they are doing.

Last edited:

WitchHunter

Banned
Between the traversal (walking, motorcycle, parkour, whatever) and tracking or puzzles, or whatever, I'm hoping this game's combat is not the same old tired 8th gen.

I want God of War '18 impact on a Prototype scale. I want small and large scale destruction. Powerful and agile enemies that can turn entire levels into the combat zone, as opposed to fights being restricted to one street corner or rooftop arena in Spider-Man.

Wolverine is literally a more grounded character than Spider-Man, but I do not want TLOU with claws. Combat and traversal has to be faster and less realistic.

The screenshots from the (bad) leak have some people scared, but there are sections of Spider-Man that have OTS perspectives, so I don't think it's indicative of anything.

Would be pretty cool to choose when or if the claws on each hand comes out with the trigger buttons. Haptic feedback on that would probably be cool.
What you'll get is 12 year old esrb age gate like pseudo violence. Green glood, blurred details, blurred mouth when searing and no dismemberment. Farts, will be farts.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
It’ll be like the Activision Wolverine game, but with icons on a map indicating side activities. Spiderman had some really bad ones, so I’m expecting the same for Wolverine.

Also Wolverine vision to see where interactive objects are, as well as enemies.

Ghostage

A DMC/Ninja Gaiden-like game with Wolverine and Insomniacs gameplay would be my dream game! They should also make it violent without making it darker or gritter. I would love a similar tone to Spider-man.

And this is honestly why modern AAA gaming is so fucking depressing.

I'm sorry, but GoW 2018's combat and the SM2018 combat was fucking boring beyond belief, and it definitely felt watered down to appeal to casuals. I played GoW on hard and by the end I was only playing for the story, the combat was just getting incredibly repetitive and dull. They lack extremely little depth to not alienate audiences, and thats a bad bad bad thing.

Spider-Man 2 was a massive step up, on hard it actually felt somewhat difficult, but its still not really as rewarding or interesting as the Arkham games' combat.

Tbh I think DMC5 has some of the best combat of any game I can think of thats released within the past decade, Capcom really made a gem of game, I think I've replayed it like 4-5 times and I still want to play it again some day soon.
This post went places!

Shits on God of war combat. Then prasies Spider Man 2 combat. Okay.... I might let this slide strongly disagree but " Arkham combat is interesting and rewarding "
Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

mdkirby

I want a mix of prototype, ghost of Tsushima, and teardown…but I also want some walky talky sections with some dark humor. I’m probably not getting what I want, but I’m sure it’ll be decent. Oh and violent, it needs to be violent. What I really want is for it to be a test bed for them ahead of making a game based on the boys.

RickMasters

I think combat wise it will be similar to spider man or similar third person action games. I think the combat will be one button combos, with some kind of berserker meter, that makes him go into some super slasher mode or something. He won’t be doing all that leaping over building shit like Spider-Man, so things will be more grounded but probably more frentic.

I don’t think it’s gonna reinvent the wheel as far as third person action games. But it will have a good story and be pretty solid mechanically. But I don’t see it treading any new ground. Maybe it don’t need to. Games like this just need to respect their source material and make a game that true to the character and world they are set in. It’s the very reason I liked terminator and that robocop game that came out recently. They don’t do anything new for shooters. But they feel close to the movies they are based on. Wolverine just needs to be like that in the same way the Spider-Man games are. As long as they can do that it will be fine.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
You need a whole button just for sheathing and unsheathing the claws. Maybe two buttons so you can do one hand if you want. Haptics need to be cranked to max so that your hands feel pain when you pull the claws out.

Last edited:

Tommi84

Wolverine is old, tired and soesn't want to get involved. He's like Deacon from Days Gone. He roams on his bike/truck all the time and kill time, but get's involved when his past cstches on him.

Please, please, please

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Hopefully not a beat-em-up, because if that's what it is I'm out. I want cool traversal and smooth flowing combat, so basically like the Arkham and Spidey games.

A character action game with destruction like MGR. Since MGR will likely never get a sequel it would be very welcome and make me actually want to play it.

It’ll probably either be like nuGoW or another game that apes Arkham’s combat though.

IAmRei

I recall 2009(?) Wolverine xmen origin, surprisingly good for that time in which most of tie in games usually bad games. The combat feels fine, although the stage are sometimes too long and repetitive

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
First person view point, plus open world, plus full destruction. Oh, and add a multiplayer function as well. And guns.

I want Mirrors Edge, mixed with Battlefield, mixed with GTA with a Wolverine splash of paint.

Ev1L AuRoN

• Traversal by bike a la Days Gone;
  • The ability to climb walls;
  • Stealth Mechanics being a way to approach enemies Like Ghost of Tsushima;
  • The Healing Factor needs to be in, maybe in some type of meter, like stamina;
  • A morality system that affect the way NPCs react to you as well as the story;
  • Violent with dismemberment, decapitations, blood and gore.

MiguelItUp

• Fast and aggressive combat.
  • Environmental destruction so Wolverine can really go all out.
  • Gore and dismemberment.
  • Very hack & slash/beat 'em up style gameplay.
  • Some unique and strong focus on healing.
  • Some unique and strong focus on adrenaline or going berserk or something.
I'd like to think they'll land on all the things. Or closest to it. However, I feel like the mature aspect of it all won't nearly be as much as I would prefer because that's never been Insomniac's thing.

yurinka

This is what I would do:
  • Combat would be a gory version of GoW 2018 action with claws
  • It would have a bit of optional stealth like in Horizon
  • Would use its superpowered senses to hear or smell enemies who are or were nearby
  • Would have health regeneration because it's one of its powers
  • The structure of the game would be wide linear, no open world
  • As in GoW 2018/GoWR, even if being an action game would have a ND level narrative focus -with great visuals and acting
  • In addition to minions there would be final bosses, as Hulk, Sabertooth, Omega Red, etc. plus some cameos from different Marvel characters, mainly from the X-Men/mutants series as NPCs or occasional sidekicks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom