• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Spring TV shows will you be watching? - 2014 Edition -

Status
Not open for further replies.
GoT has run long the last two years on its season finale, so that might also be a reason to push. They might not want to premiere a new show 10 minutes after the hour.

I was looking forward to it. Well we have too many premieres in the middle of June anyway. I just hope it's a HBO level show.
GoT has run long the last two years on its season finale, so that might also be a reason to push. They might not want to premiere a new show 10 minutes after the hour.

They actualy wanted to show it after, because finale is gonna be huge ratings wise.

They actualy wanted to show it after, because finale is gonna be huge ratings wise.
I'm sure they do, but maybe they did the schedule before the GoT episode came in long (assuming that it does).

Not a big deal for them though, still plenty of eyeballs on HBO with True Blood on before it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I watched the pilot of Black Box and was pleasantly surprised. Mental illness is a relatively difficult subject to broach in a creative work, and very easy to do poorly; you could sentimentalize the victimhood of the mentally ill; you could portray serious illness as benign quirk; or you could just make something that's fundamentally a bummer. Black Box manages to avoid this. It's a medical procedural about a neuroscientist who is bipolar and not very compliant.

The weakness of the show is that it's a network procedural. Dialogue is a little weak, the show doesn't have much confidence in the intelligence of the viewers, the frame story that opens the pilot is really dull, and the procedural elements seem to suck so far.

But if you set aside that, at its core, I think the actors playing mentally ill characters seem to do a very good job of grounding their performances. The showrunner apparently based the material on her bipolar father, and I think that shines through. It does one of the best jobs I've ever seen of depicting a character in withdrawal from mood medication, and the flighty staccato depiction of mania is impressive as well. The show wisely uses a very loud jazz soundtrack to score scenes where the main character is off her meds. The worse it gets, the more improvisational and runaway the jazz. This is an awesome decision, because I think jazz and madness have a long and fruitful connection.

I can't imagine I'll watch it long term, especially because I don't care about case-of-the-week stuff, but I remain impressed by the pilot.

I can't believe I missed Bron/Broen (The Bridge) ending up on Hulu this year. And season 2, already! I'm guessing the Danish ver. of the Killing is forever in purgatory when it comes to a US release.

Edit: Ugh, Hulu has the worst possible subtitles (yellow/black background), with no option to change them. Come on.

Poster for The Leftovers.

the-leftovers-poster.jpg

And Penny Dreadful is available On Demand and Showtime Anytime. Also episode 2 will be up on May 12th.

Anyone watch the full pilot for Penny Dreadful? What is the plot, exactly?

Freaky shit happening in London in 1891. Josh Hartnett looks out of place, Timothy Dalton looks suave and Eva Green looks amazing as they look for Dalton's daughter. And also
Dr. Frankenstein created his monster

There are pre-season threads for discussion of The Leftovers and Penny Dreadful up if anyone is looking for like minded people to chat with before those OTs go up. (I'm not trying to completely redirect all discussion over there, just pointing out that those are there in case anyone is interested.)

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I can't decide if I like that poster or not. It's sort of cool but also sort of terrible.

Freaky shit happening in London in 1891. Josh Hartnett looks out of place, Timothy Dalton looks suave and Eva Green looks amazing as they look for Dalton's daughter. And also
Dr. Frankenstein created his monster

Is there an overarching storyline or is the storyline basically: crazy shit is happening and the main characters react to it?

There are pre-season threads for discussion of The Leftovers and Penny Dreadful up if anyone is looking for like minded people to chat with before those OTs go up. (I'm not trying to completely redirect all discussion over there, just pointing out that those are there in case anyone is interested.)

:)

Had no idea what The Leftovers was but thought the trailer they showed before GoT was intriguing. Will probably watch the first couple episodes to see if it holds my interest.

Still not sure I want to dive into Penny Dreadful. Any feedback on the premier yet (other than Hartnett's ass and fake mustache)?

Still not sure I want to dive into Penny Dreadful. Any feedback on the premier yet (other than Hartnett's ass and fake mustache)?

I liked it. The acting was good, especially Eva Green and Timothy Dalton. While it took itself seriously, there was also a sense of fun. Also, nothing was wrapped up in the pilot so it's heavily serialized.

For the ladies and gays, you get to see
Frankenstein's monster's cock
if that is a draw for you.

RPGCrazied

I need a new show, I know its not a suggestion thread, but what the hell. Vikings is now over. I'd like something like this, fantasy. Anything out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom