• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

Finished Miasma Chronicles a few days ago and enjoyed that a lot. I also got back to Turnip Boy Robs a Bank and did 1000/1000 on it.

Moved to Immortals of Aveum. First two levels are somewhat dull - one's a very long exposition dump and one is an even longer tutorial, but then game basically becomes a first person metroidvania and I'm having a blast. I remember reading that console versions were bogged down by terrible performance and sub 1080p res, but while there are still slow-downs, it performs reasonably well on XSX and while the resolution is not high, it looks great. I've heard it being called Call of Duty with magic. I think it is more like Halo with magic. It's possible I will get bored at some point, but right now it is a 8/10 game with solid AAA production values.

So... Metroid Prime? Cause yeah all I heard pre-release was "Call of Duty, but magic" which is a snooze to me, but first person Metroidvania pushes a whole different set of buttons...

Roberts

So... Metroid Prime? Cause yeah all I heard pre-release was "Call of Duty, but magic" which is a snooze to me, but first person Metroidvania pushes a whole different set of buttons...

I wrote this after playing it only for a few hours. Now I have played it lot more and unfortunately I don’t think it is that great after all. Just too many design flaws that keep me from being fully invested in it.

Sorry, I had bought Metroid Prime back in the day but never got around to play it. Weird, I know. So, I can’t really compare but I definitely don’t see Call of Duty comparison at all.

CZY

Went ahead and grabbed a 2TB HDD upgrade for my PS5, so have lots of room (digital) to upgrade my collection. I’m in love tbh. Can’t wait to add baseball in March and college football in July.

• Dead Space Remake
• Shadow of the Colossus Remake
• Witcher 3
• Sniper Elite 4
• Nier Replicant
• Demon’s Souls Remake
• Cuphead
• Death Stranding
• Persona 5 Royal
• Bloodborne
• Alien Isolation
• Dead Cells
• Sekiro
• Resident Evil 4 Remake
• Kingdom Come Deliverance
• Mad Max
• Hollow Knight
• Nier Automata
• Darkest Dungeon
• Hades
• Nioh 2
• Metro Exodus
• Assassin’s Creed Unity
• Prey
• South Park: FBH

Alpha Male

Here's what I'm playing this month:

Series X
Tomb Raider 1-3 Remastered
Valheim
Forza Motorsport
Battlefield 2042
Halo Infinite multiplayer

Deck OLED
Deus Ex Human Revolution
Star Wars Empire at War
Sonic Racing Transformed

amigastar

Here's what I'm playing this month:

Series X
Valheim
Forza Motorsport
Battlefield 2042
Halo Infinite multiplayer

Deck OLED
Deus Ex Human Revolution
Star Wars Empire at War
Sonic Racing Transformed
Star Wars Empire at War? How are the controls of Strategy games work on Steam Deck, are they good?

Last edited:

Synastry

Tomb Raider 1-3 Remastered.
Shadow of the Tomb Raider.
GT7
Rise of the tomb raider
Tomb raider 2013

I been in a tomb raider playing mood lately I'm also gonna start the ps3 collection which features anniversary, legends and underworld.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Finished Resident Evil Village. On Hardcore this time. Not particularly hard when you have upgraded weapons, but a few sections were pretty difficult. The first was right in the beginning with the Lycan assault. They were so many and hit really hard, so I died a couple of times there. Second was Dimitrescu when she appears in the cellar. One hit and you're toast and you can't heal. The final section with Chris was pretty brutal too. Both the Lycan assault and that big dude with a spiked ball for weapon fucked me up. Otherwise it was smooth sailing.

Good game. Not my favorite RE, but it's growing on me. The story is bat shit insane and often hilarious at times, and the four villains are very fun to watch interact with Ethan. Lady Dimitrescu is the most memorable character, she steals the show for sure, but Heisenberg is pretty charismatic too. Cool boss fights, amazing graphics and a really nice setting with a decrepit village and castle to explore. I do wonder what Capcom is cooking up for part 9. Very excited to see what they have in store.

Roberts

I'm going back on forth on liking/disliking Immortals of Aveum. The banter still annoys me but now that I got the basic gist of the story, I can ignore it. Got to the zone with the floating islands and had some fun with the puzzles and bosses. I think I will continue.

Still playing a round or two of Brotato every day. It's nowhere near as addictive as Vampire Survivors but it has its moments. Did pretty much everything you can do in it, now it's just get the last achievements by finishing a run with 30 characters and that is a grind I'm not sure I want to commit to.

I need to pick up a game that I love unconditionally.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Finished RE7 last week and left with a bitter taste. Had the game much better in memory. Guess I was just happy that the series went back to its horror roots back when it released. Seeing how the series developed thus far I find it hard to go back. Struggles with the aiming all the way through. The enemies take way to many bullets to kill and it found it very hard to even hit them…

Anyway, being done with it jumped into Village now. First time in 3rd person mode. So far I like it quite a bit even though I also struggle with the wonky aiming again…

engstra

Ghostwire Tokyo - I'm having a lot of fun with it. The setting and premise are really interesting. The combat is repetitive and feels like there's a bit too much meaningless side content with collecting all spirits etc, however the side missions can be pretty cool and the traversal is really satisfying so I want to fully explore the world.

Garibaldi

Playing a little VN on the deck when we hit the hay. Called Corpse Factory. Jesus the MC and her crew are completely fucked in the head. I'm thoroughly enjoying 'playing a game' from the perspective of a mentally ill person. Especially when they are surrounded by a support group who seems to embolden her delusional instead of help her get well.

Last edited:

Alpha Male

Star Wars Empire at War? How are the controls of Strategy games work on Steam Deck, are they good?
I love them so far. The combo of the track pad for mouse movement and triggers for mouse clicks is great. I have tweaked and customized the controls and bindings to my preference of course. Most games seem to have good community layouts for the Deck. I have played Empire at War and Total War Warhammer 2 so far and they both seem to work really well.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Continued on with Star Ocean Second story R. Took a break because I arrived at the most boring part of the game. The four trial dungeons. I'm on Field of Wisdom and I've forgot how fucking tedious this maze is. The music is also very irritating and headache inducing. Turned the volume down and put on some sweet Final Fantasy melodies so I can endure this dungeon crawling tripe.

Fbh

Started Plague Tale Requiem.
Only a couple of hours in but so far I've enjoyed it. It's very much in the "more of the same" camp so far but I like the first game and the visuals are really nice (playing the 40fps mode).
I'm only a bit annoyed that I was forced to switch from the French voices to the English one because the bad lip sync was too distracting

MiguelItUp

Making my way through the Yakuza series. Beat 0 and Kiwami. On Kiwami 2 now, onward until the completion of Infinite Wealth, LFG!
Aging Matt Damon GIF

TheUsual

Gold Member
Decided to FINALLY go back to Batman Arkham City. Just picked up where I left off and definitely will restart.

But almost made it a full decade between achievements.

jqRy2QL.jpg

Kindela

Banned
Cyberpunk 2077, about 9 hours in and I'm surprised how boring this is. I don't have it in me to type everything up on my phone, but I'm baffled that the same studio made Witcher 3 five years before this one.

T-Cake

The Gunk. I played it through Xcloud on release but it looks much prettier on my computer via a Humble Choice bundle.

Muffdraul

Casually farting around in FFVII Remake. It's my third play through and there's no way I'll finish it before Rebirth.

Also re-playing Dead Space Remake. Last Halloween-month I did a NG+ play through to find all of the marker fragments and finally see the 'secret' ending, but god dammit nobody told me you have to DO SOMETHING with the fragments after you get them all, and I had already saved past where I needed to use them. So now four months later I'm finally bored enough to do another play through. Basically doing one level per night after dinner.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Fourth level in Star Wars the Phantom Menace. Biggest turd I've ever played from the PS1 library, and that's saying something considering the PS1 had quite a few games that were legendary in their ass suckage. This game not only looks like shit, it controls like shit and even talks like shit. When you arrive to the Gungian planet, the third level, Qui Gon says to Obi-Wan that he shouldn't harm the Gungians. They are our friends. Leave them be. Obi Wan then proceeds to slaughter every Gungians he sees. Like wtf? When did the Jedis become straight up murderers? Is it some sick joke from the developers that I don't get?

And then we have the platforming sections. Jesus H Christ, it's easier to walk a tightrope between two skyscrapers in a full blown tornado than it is to land a fucking jump here. The camera is super sensitive and positioned in a god awful angle that obscures much of the scenery. It's like the developers intentionally wants to give you the finger. Lucas Arts is supposed to be representative of quality. They made fucking Monkey Island for Christ's sake! Who the fuck directed this game? How did it pass quality control? Why didn't George Lucas step in and pump the brakes on this abomination? I demand answers! Is there a hotline you can call to the Lucas Arts offices and tell them that this game is so bad it is traumatizing me. Maybe I can sue.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Arrived at Phynal now in Star Second story R. If I remember correctly, this is the final part of the game, beating the Ten Wise Men and going through the end dungeon. It's a great game but I'm starting to lose a bit of interest now nearing the end. I definitely want to move on to something different.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Ghostbusters the video game

I fucking love this game. Played it a ton on PS3, and then when the remaster hit I bought it for both PS4 and Switch. It's basically the third movie. The entire cast of Egon, Pete, Ray and Zeddemore is back, with voice work and a funny script. It has everything you'd want from a Ghostbusters game. Lots of ghost hunting action, funny one liners and tons of references and call backs to the movies. Even Stay Puft makes an appearance. Easily the best Ghostbusters game ever made.

amigastar

Just started Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous
I'm really curious about that game since i've heard good and bad things about it.

RAIDEN1

Probably had the most FRUSTRATING moment so far in the time I have played Forza Horizon over how many months, I was in the colossus race event, which is fairly lengthy holding onto 2nd place most of the way, and about 88% of the way through whilst I was using the rewind tool to negotiate a corner, the game just froze, and then rebooted again from the beginning, so 88% progress of a race which wasn't exactly a five minute stint, just disappeared....unbelievable:messenger_pouting:

Last edited:
Probably had the most FRUSTRATING moment so far in the time I have played Forza Horizon over how many months, I was in the colossus race event, which is fairly lengthy holding onto 2nd place most of the way, and about 88% of the way through whilst I was using the rewind tool to negotiate a corner, the game just froze, and then rebooted again from the beginning, so 88% progress of a race which wasn't exactly a five minute stint, just disappeared....unbelievable:messenger_pouting:
Are you playing on an Xbox One? It never happens on PC, but it happens to me once in a blue moon on console quick resume.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Just finished Persona 3 Reload and it's my GOTY so far.
I'm kinda glad I decided to wait for the PC version of FF7R because all of these long RPGs back to back have been a time commitment lol

bender

What time is it?
Finished Soulstone Survivors. It's....a not great Vampire Survivors clone. It has some interesting ideas in user activated powerups but the bosses and level designs are mostly a drag. I got the feeling early on that I should be playing something else, anything else really, but just couldn't stop playing it.

I tried the Alan Wake 2 trial on PSN which says it is 3 hours but only gave me 2.5 hours and I think that's enough to know the game is for me. The voice acting performances feel really stilted and constantly going back to Case Board and Profiling is super uninteresting. I know there were a lot of complaints about the visuals but it looked fine to me. The into strong with immerging from the lake but bogs down quickly. I think I had 3 enemy encounters in a little over two hours before turning the game off.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Just finished Persona 3 Reload and it's my GOTY so far.
I'm kinda glad I decided to wait for the PC version of FF7R because all of these long RPGs back to back have been a time commitment lol
Dont forget this early March Unicorn Overlord coming out too, the amount quality games coming out back to back is brutal.

All on PS5:

Helldivers 2

I'm all about the single player experience but every once in a while a multiplayer centric game comes along that completely captivates me. I loved the first game, the change in perspective works beautifully for the sequel and it's much more ambitious all around. Shame about the server issues, devs struck unexpected gold and weren't prepared for it.

This trilogy of games stand amongst my fondest gaming memories and this remaster is, well, masterful. New 4K visuals are beautiful and faithful to the original artistic vision. Being able to switch between classic and new look is fascinating, I've been having a lot of fun comparing. In short, they don't make games like this anymore, there is a reason they are considered classics.

Infinite Wealth

I'm over 50h in and it's on track to surpass Yakuza 0 as my all-time favourite in the series. Fantastic narrative, hilarious scenarios, content rich, an engaging battle system, what more could you want? Ichiban has proven to be a worthy successor to my boy Kaz, I hope the series continues for many years to come.

Last edited:

Roberts

Stopped playing Banishers and Immortal of Aveum, because Dead Island 2 is free for the weekend on xbox. Dead Island 2 rocks even if it doesn't really do anything new. I'm buying it.

Dazraell

Still on my Oblivion playthrough, I'm currently moving to Shivering Isles expansion, which will also be a wrap up as I already finished main quest, all of side quests I could find, factions, smaller dlcs and Knights of the Nine expansion. I also finished some neat story mods like The Lost Spires and Knights of the Nine Revelaton. It was a great ride, Oblivion is a very fun game to revisit after so many years

T-0800

Finished Soulstone Survivors. It's....a not great Vampire Survivors clone. It has some interesting ideas in user activated powerups but the bosses and level designs are mostly a drag. I got the feeling early on that I should be playing something else, anything else really, but just couldn't stop playing it.

I tried the Alan Wake 2 trial on PSN which says it is 3 hours but only gave me 2.5 hours and I think that's enough to know the game is for me. The voice acting performances feel really stilted and constantly going back to Case Board and Profiling is super uninteresting. I know there were a lot of complaints about the visuals but it looked fine to me. The into strong with immerging from the lake but bogs down quickly. I think I had 3 enemy encounters in a little over two hours before turning the game off.
I 'played' about 45 minutes of the trial. There was nothing resembling gameplay in those 45 minutes so I deleted it.

Top Bottom