• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

Making my way through Resident Evil 2 (remake).

Finished Leon Normal, Leon Hardcore and Claire Normal on S+, 5 more to go lol.

Game is addicting as hell.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Finished Maneater, got the Plat and am now on the Truth Quest DLC, trying to get all trophies. Those jumping parts during the time trials are driving me insane….

Jesb

Been playing deathloop. What a gem. Had no idea how good this was. Arkane are such good devs. Playing it made me think how much better hands other ip’s would be if they were given a shot at someone’s ip.

engstra

Finished Ghostwire Tokyo, really had fun with it. Was surprised by how quick the final couple chapters took to finish. Might try and find the missing relics and tanukis etc but feel like I've more or less seen all the game has to offer.

Was going to start Death Stranding however with Tchia and Haven both leaving PS+ I might them a go instead.

NahaNago

Working on ff7remake since I like the way the 2nd part looks. This game is so boring, I dislike the spongy enemies, and it is just a ton of jogging to the next place. Currently on chapter 13. Finished Gran blue something last week. That was a fun game, with beautiful visuals but the game is really short and the world is pretty small.

I should be done with ff7 by the end of the week.

Finished my second playthrough of Trials of Mana, with Angela (Archmage, spamming Saint Beam+ all day long), Duran (Liege, stacking all MGC Boost All) and Charlotte (Warlock, stacking all Weak Pint All and MGC DEF Down All). This lead to some absurd damage from Angela, killing Anise in 33:57. I won't bother with Black Rabite though, since I already killed it in my first game anyway, and Angela is hardly the best against the critter.

Planning my last NG+, with Kevin as main this time to see all three paths; probably going Dark with him (not sure which yet, went Fatal Fist when playing on the Switch so maybe Dervish this time?), Dark Riesz for huge debuffs, and Light Charlotte for Sabers.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I just started Death Stranding Director’s Cut on the PS5.

I started the original on the PS4, but dropped it after I completed the first major area. I think that first act ended with a big boss battle near the water. I don’t remember.

foamdino

I'm dabbling in Last Epoch (when the servers aren't afflicted) - I play every diablo-like arpg and this one is rather sweet.

Still crunching through 40k Rogue Trader (last chapter so not much further to go) and on PS5
  • Call of the Sea (nice puzzler)
  • Gran Blue Fantasy Relink
  • Hogwarts Legacy

foamdino

I just started Death Stranding Director’s Cut on the PS5.

I started the original on the PS4, but dropped it after I completed the first major area. I think that first act ended with a big boss battle near the water. I don’t remember.
Death stranding is genuinely brilliant - have fun with it

stn

Banishers - first run, I love it. Very creative lore.
Granblue Relink - beating the end game content tonight and then grinding for the platinum.
Hogwarts - first run, very good overall.

Hogwarts Legacy playthrough continues. I suppose it helps to be a Harry Potter fan but this game is legit fun. I went months and months seeing the positive reviews and impressions, but it wasn't until my sister gifted me the game that I finally tried it out. I love it when you play a game and can tell the devs put their heart and soul into it. So much to do. It's like a harry potter themed tomb raider but exponentially better. I'm enjoying the storyline as well as all of the side quests. The biggest complaint I've seen from others is that outside of Hogwarts and Hogsmeade there isn't much to do. Bullocks. Hogwarts Legacy has a great overworld that feels authentic as opposed to being stuffed with lame filler every 10 feet.

amigastar

So i've started SC2: Legacy of the Void.
It's really nice. I hope Blizzard would make a Warcraft 4 at this point.
Or at least making Warcraft 3: Reforged into an acceptable state.

Last edited:
Working on ff7remake since I like the way the 2nd part looks. This game is so boring,
I had the same idea. I've tried to play through FF7 Remake three times now. I just can't do it. I tried again all day yesterday and part of today. It's just so tedious and boring. It makes me want to re-play the original again.

Oh well, saves me the $100 for Rebirth.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
Last of Us part 2 PS5 only about 2 hours in immediately after completing part 1 so it can feel like a single narrative experience.

Also Borderlands 3 on XSX first run with Fl4k currently lvl 18.
I love the pets & gameplay but those 2 "villains" are insufferable 🙄

Jesb

I’m giving dying light 2 a go this weekend since it’s a free weekend. I’ll probably rotate between that and deathloop.

Cyberpunkd

I had the same idea. I've tried to play through FF7 Remake three times now. I just can't do it. I tried again all day yesterday and part of today. It's just so tedious and boring. It makes me want to re-play the original again.

Oh well, saves me the $100 for Rebirth.
It’s so clunky, the interactions and systems are not natural at all. I think they felt obliged to keep something from the original FFVII but that game is almost 30 years old.

I think I will finally get fucking Yakuza Like a Dragon. The main series never clicked with me, but I read LaD is turn-based? Let’s try it.

Last edited:

engstra

Finished Haven, was like a 7/10 for me. Quite a nice love story but didn't realise it would be so reliant on text and dialogue. Would recommend to people for a chilled out experience, the artsyle and soundtrack is really good.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Finished both RE Village and got all trophies from Maneater.

So since I have to get rid of holiday hours and now have 2 weeks holiday because of that I decided to use the time and finally play and beat Elden Ring. Restarted it a couple of times but never got too far I guess. Since I’m not so much into the exploration thing and have more issues witg missing out on things I’m playing with Mapgenie map. That thing is legit. Also subbed PS+ for the first time in years in case I need help. Also, Souls games ain’t the same without the messages.

Also restarted the original God of War again to play between my Elden Ring Sessions. Man, I love the old games so much. Might just replay all of them in one go. Real shame they never ported Ascension to PS4. That game is better than its reputation.

I think I will finally get fucking Yakuza Like a Dragon. The main series never clicked with me, but I read LaD is turn-based? Let’s try it.
I also didn’t completely enjoy the regular Yakuza games. I played maybe halfway through Judgment. Like a Dragon is fantastic, though. The beginning hour or so feels like non-stop cutscenes, and that is my only complaint.

It was free on PS plus, so I have it there. However, I stopped subscribing due to price increase, so I bought the disc on sale.

I was playing Ys: Memories of Celceta. Based on trophies, I am maybe 40% through it, but I quit. It was fun for a bit, but the “Vita-ness” is so strong. Everything from the UI to the game design is a portable game. It doesn’t have that meat to it that the console games have. I had the same problem with FF7 Crisis Core.

So, I dropped Celceta and instead started Ys IX: Monstrum Nox. Now this is what I am talking about. It clearly isn’t as great (so far) as Ys VIII, but it’s close. I dare say the combat feels better? The closed environment of the city is the only downgrade.

It’s funny how it is essentially a clone of Ys VIII, but in a city. We again have raid battles, defensive structures, map completion, a home base slowly gathering villagers, the blacksmith, bulletin board, etc, and all in the same game engine.

Dr. Suchong

Hades, Yakuza Kiwami, and giving Divinity original sin 2 another stab, in preparation for eventually playing Baldur's gate 3.
Trouble is, I stink at these sorts of games.
I'm determined to get better but the odds are always against you in battle, with ludicrously strong enemies.
Trying out strategies so far have resulted in dismal failure, but I'll keep trying.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Gears of War 2. First time going through it and I was not expecting much. Having a lot of fun honestly. The moving rock worms are hilarious. I just through one of the goriest levels Ive played since hell in Ninja Gaiden 2.

Everspace 2. Grinding quests. Really enjoying it now. Nearly ready to buy a 2nd ship.

Persona 3. Took a break on floor 42
Ready to jump back in.

Go Mecha Ball. Still doing some runs. Roguelike.

Splatoon 3 Side Order. Grinding runs, roguelike mode.

Last edited:

Dazraell

I just finished Shivering Isles expansion to Oblivion. I never played it before and honestly loved it. The story and writing are top notch, exploring its bizarre world was so fun and provides a stark contrast to Cyrodiil's landscape. The unique premise and weird quests were a pure joy to complete. Definitely my favourite TES expansion / DLC so far

I initially thought that I will wrap up Oblivion's playthrough closer to Rebirth's launch and will go immediately to playing it, but considering there is still a few days, I started playing Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time. Finished this game many times before, but my last playthrough was over 12-15 years ago so it's been a while. Just defeated the first boss

xrnzaaas

I will be trying to replay Final Fantasy 7 Remake and I've already encountered many user unfriendly steps when trying to redeem the PS5 version. It's not an automatic download, it's buried deep in the PS Store and the console still wants to install the disc PS4 version afterwards.

Not to mention I can't track the Intermission DLC through popular discount sites like psprices to try to find a good moment to pay less than 20€ for it.

Last edited:

Jesb

Finally decided to dive into An Assassins Creed game since it’s been so long. Started Origins, and it may be my favourite one so far. If I get through this I’ll start Valhalla after this.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
S1P6pXQ.jpg

This is the best Diablo clone I've ever played. It's almost identical and unlike recent Diablo games, this one has local co-op with up to 4 players, so has become a family favourite in my household.

The only bad thing I'd say about it is the voice acting is terrible. Besides that I'm loving this!

After enjoying RE5 and not liking 6, it decided to finally try RE7. Damn it's a solid creepy game. Couple hours in so far but they really nailed the sound design. It seems a lot more like the first game than the others that follow yet also seems like it's own thing. Looking forward to playing more.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Now that Callisto Protocol and Final Transmission are out of the way (no longer doing new game plus because of the bullshit of Final Transmission), I’m digging into the backlog.

Shadow Warrior 3: Liked the first game, Loved the second. This so far is okay. They’re trying to copy Doom’s design and I’m good with it. Enemies are colorful and cartoony and Wang isn’t as funny. Feels like they’re throwing darts at the board with this ip. Plays beautifully on my PC, and is quite a looker graphically.

Tales of Arise: Getting through the opening parts.

Kindela

Banned
Managed to put 25 hours in cp2077 somehow. Mostly because it's an rpg so time moves slower, but also because the gameplay is serviceable enough. The driving, controlling V, presentation, combat ... it's all ok, so I'm not yawning at the thought of playing it.

But I still find it really underwhelming. I cannot for the life of me get invested in this story or these characters. Absolutely nothing about the game is clicking with me. You know the moment when you realize "ok, this is something great". That still hasn't happened to me and at like 10 hour mark I realized it never will.

Some things that I believe detract from my experience a lot are:

- first person - it just doesn't work with me anymore. Maybe Sony destroyed me with this, but I remember very rarely loving fps games, with the exception of Stalker and Half life. I just keep feeling disconnected to V, to movement, to combat (especially when using katanas), to basically everything.

- no proper cutscenes - this absolutely destroys any sense of urgency and story. I keep thinking how some of these conversations would be better if I had actually different camera shots, and not being able to look around the room like an idiot while someone's opening up their soul to me. Zero investment.

- story - don't care about it. Not feeling the plot at all, and it's honestly difficult to follow a lot of times. English is not my first language, but I never have any issues following conversations, reading books or playing games. But something's off with this game. Maybe it's the way it's presented, or the number of characters and different names thrown at me, or the way dialogue flows, but I often find it goes too quickly, and I can't wrap my head around why I'm doing what I'm doing a lot of times.

- missions - this is a gripe I have with most open world games. The way missions are structured and given to V makes them all feel like busywork. Since it's an open world game, after every mission someone has to tell what you should be doing next. The game can't craft these transitions naturally, they always have to be split in separate, trackable missions. That immediately disconnects me from the game, since I'm reminded I am going through a list of events, not through a story that's flowing naturally. Compare that to something like Jedi Survivor (which I also played recently), where after being initially "told" to go to a planet, everything on that planet flows seamlessly. You don't finish a task and then get a notification to speak with someone to start a new task. You start exploring, go through encounters, traverse and things just keep happening by themselves, no weird stop mission/start mission transitions that all open world games do, which just feels so artificial.

- writing - it's too jaded, but not in a fun way. Corpos suck, night city will kill you, everyone's an asshole, everything sucks, dying of old age in this town is impossible, etc. Yeah, I get it, but I don't see how anyone can live here and not be depressed 24/7. I guess that's the point, but that same energy transfers into how characters talk and it's really off putting. Maybe I'm projecting onto every other character because Johnny is all I can think of and how annoying he is.

Open world games are truly a mistake most of the time.

Edit: Remembered a few more:

- no exploration - I still don't know how to explore a modern city in a video game. Everywhere you go, you do so via the city streets. City streets lead you to normal places where people go to every day. How can you find something interesting if you're being lead there by something that every npc in a game uses? You can jump off a street and turn right into an ally, but that ally is just a shortcut to yet another large street where a bunch of cars drive. I'm not exploring, I'm just moving through already established and million times visited places. Plus you can't enter any building so it's not like you can find something "hidden" in there. To explore I need the ability to go off the beaten path, find something not marked on the map, enter some hidden structure and find its secrets. That doesn't exist here from what I have seen. Why even have an open world game if you can't explore.

- constantly being on the phone - someone's calling you once every 5 minutes in this game it seems. Maybe it's a statement how we're constantly available in this day and age, but I still don't like it. Just let me breathe a little, please.

Last edited:

Hestar69

Alan Wake 2. I'd give it a solid 8.5/10 that soundtrack I'd give a 10/10 though.

Some parts dragged and some puzzles were annoying and the backtracking sucked. Still enjoyed the game and youtubed the ng+ ending because ff7 2 days I'm not replaying this lol.

Roberts

Don't have time to play more than one big game, so I put Banishers aside for a while (I love it though) and decided to finish Dead Island 2 first. DI2 is surprisingly addictive with all the fun ways you can kill zombies.

I do one or two runs of Brotato every day. It's not a game that I would recommend to anyone as it is nowhere near as good as Vampire Survivors, but I'm having fun with my builds.

Fbh

Plague Tale Requiem.
It has been good but not great so far, it's a very straightforward sequel that's essentially more of the same with a few new tools and weapons. I do wish they had done a bit more to spice up the gameplay though, as even with the new stuff it's still rather basic. Visually it's really striking, the presentation got a major upgrade and even beyond just the graphics all the various environments and the general art direction is great. The story is still enjoyable too with compelling characters and a dark tone.

It's very "cinematic" in a mixed way. There's some cool setpiece moments and several visually striking sequences that enhance the atmosphere and story, but at the same time I can't remember the last game that had this much forced walking. There's a button to run but I swear it feels like it's disabled for like 80% of the gameplay.

Ulysses 31

Going through Hyrule Warriors (Wii U)Legend Mode again and thinking about going through Adventure Mode maps too(took over a 100 hours to clear those on Definitive Edition on Switch).

But this time "remastered" in 4K 60 fps with better LOD thanks to CEMU. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Never played the DLC on Wii U and I hear the DE version nerfed a lot of Adventure Mode maps.

amigastar

So i'm playing Pathfinder: Wrath of The Righteous and i'm a little bit disappointed by the feedback you get when hitting the enemy. Baldurs Gate 3 does this much better. Pathfinder plays in comparison kinda lame. But the strength of the game is obviously the ruleset.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Going through Hyrule Warriors (Wii U)Legend Mode again and thinking about going through Adventure Mode maps too(took over a 100 hours to clear those on Definitive Edition on Switch).

But this time "remastered" in 4K 60 fps with better LOD thanks to CEMU. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Never played the DLC on Wii U and I hear the DE version nerfed a lot of Adventure Mode maps.

I need to play that game more, it's so much more fun than I expected and this track had me vibing hard. Thrash metal Zelda, so awesome.

fart town usa

Gold Member
A variety of PSVR2 games but I'll be on FF7 Rebirth this weekend. Also some Helldivers 2 with the bros and a bit of Elder Ring as always. The occasional retro title too because I'm always playing like 5 games at once.

If I may, these are some clips from a VR game I've been playing. Game released in a rough manner and was brutalized by people at launch. I saw something in it and had an absolute riot, It recently received a solid update that addressed most of the AI issues. Such a fun game, action/platformer/roguelike and it's just pure bliss with what the game allows you to do. It's the developers first game so I'm not sure if these things were overlooked during development but you can optimize the shit out of your runs by cheesing the mechanics and it just creates so many opportunities when it comes to combat variety.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Subnautica again. Played it a couple of years ago, but didn't finish it. Started over now because I don't remember much. But yeah, this game is so good. Technically a bit of a mess, but at least they fixed the screen tearing which was really bad when I last played it.

I'm SUPPOSED to be playing Alan Wake 2 and Spider-Man 2 (sequels to games I loved), but for some reason I keep putting them off.

I finally stopped being intimidated of Mario vs. Donkey Kong and am like halfway through it. It's fine.

Had some stomach issues making my thoughts fuzzy so I was like i'll wait to play this OH NO PUZZLE GAME when I'm thinking clearer.

Glad I didnt't pay 50 bucks (gamefly'd it)

Currently running through RDR2 on XSX.

Didn't like the original RDR but I beat it.

This one started out slow, and almost ruined it for me, but damn Rockstar put their foot off into this world.

Just hit chapter III, I'm hooked.

Top Bottom