• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I have both via Xbox BC. Control wise, 2 is better than 1.

Otogi only has inverted camera movement for both horizontal and vertical directions on the right stick.

Otogi 2 let's you change that.
I bought Otogi 2 on XBL, but I can’t download it. It’s some sorta bug where it gets stuck at 22%. I can download and play Otogi 1, which I am playing at the moment. Only thing I found online is that Microsoft is working on a fix back in January.

Roberts

Finished Miasma Chronicles a few days ago and enjoyed that a lot. I also got back to Turnip Boy Robs a Bank and did 1000/1000 on it.

Moved to Immortals of Aveum. First two levels are somewhat dull - one's a very long exposition dump and one is an even longer tutorial, but then game basically becomes a first person metroidvania and I'm having a blast. I remember reading that console versions were bogged down by terrible performance and sub 1080p res, but while there are still slow-downs, it performs reasonably well on XSX and while the resolution is not high, it looks great. I've heard it being called Call of Duty with magic. I think it is more like Halo with magic. It's possible I will get bored at some point, but right now it is a 8/10 game with solid AAA production values.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Dead Island 2: Collected all of the Legendaries except one, which the mission to get it hasn’t popped up yet. I likely have to clear out another Lost and Found mission to get it.

Callisto Protocol: Next up. I’ll probably start it tonight if I can bring myself to put down Dead Island.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Is Otogi 2 an improvement over 1? Also, you playing via Xbox BC? Been wondering if those games are worth $20/ea ...60 fps I hope?
You can’t download Otogi 2 if you buy it for $20. I found the fix today.

Set your location to Hong Kong and reboot your Xbox. Download Otogi 2. Switch it back. There is a nasty bug if you have your console location set to NA or UK where it’s stuck at 22%. Switching to HK allows it to finish. I can’t believe that did it.

Also, I got a legit Otogi 2 key from eBay but it was from Argentina. Activate it from MS and it’s pretty quick. Cost me $6.

Now it’s time to play some Otogi 2.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

I started Crysis 2 Remastered and I have to say it's way better than I remembered (played the original when it launched and my PC was almost burning). The remaster plays much better than Crysis 1 (I'm playing on PS5) which was very rough in many places. This time it's smooth 60fps, reasonably polished gameplay (pushing heavy objects can cause them to glitch) and the city looks great.

My only complaint is that enemies can respawn. This is not a game for camping and sniping people before heading to the mission objective, because you can bet more patrols will show up.

The Witcher 2 enhanced edition on pc. Played the 360 version back when it was released. Now with every bell and whistle turned on and ubersampling it feels and looks like a fresh game. Gonna replay Witcher 3 after this.

The trailers for Visions of Mana made me buy Trials again (I bought it on the Switch at launch, bought it again on Steam, for... mods :messenger_smirking: ).

Went with the same party for my first game (Hawk, Riesz, Charlotte), except instead of going Rogue/Starlancer/Necromancer I went Dark/Light/Light. Hopefully the combination of Stat Down on Hawk, Stat Up on Riesz, and elemental Sabers on Carlie, will make it easier; it wasn't really "hard", just... some of the end-game bosses were super annoying, and I never felt like I had any real power. Next playthroughs were much, much easier compared to that first one, borderline broken actually (Magus with all Wound Magic you can get, supported by Paladin and Warrior Monk for healing and MP recovery, melted everything and everyone; and Fatal Fist with Fenrir Knight and Bishop, REAL melee powerhouse).

You can’t download Otogi 2 if you buy it for $20. I found the fix today.

Set your location to Hong Kong and reboot your Xbox. Download Otogi 2. Switch it back. There is a nasty bug if you have your console location set to NA or UK where it’s stuck at 22%. Switching to HK allows it to finish. I can’t believe that did it.

Also, I got a legit Otogi 2 key from eBay but it was from Argentina. Activate it from MS and it’s pretty quick. Cost me $6.

Now it’s time to play some Otogi 2.

That's insane that MS is allowing it to be sold on the store with a bug like that! Thanks for the heads up!

simpatico

Red Dead 2 PC
Diablo 4 (Necro run) PC
Castlevania Bloodlines Sega Genesis (OG cart + CRT)
New Vegas (played in perpetuity) PC

Last edited:

TheUsual

Gold Member
I bought Otogi 2 on XBL, but I can’t download it. It’s some sorta bug where it gets stuck at 22%. I can download and play Otogi 1, which I am playing at the moment. Only thing I found online is that Microsoft is working on a fix back in January.
Oh that is a bummer if that still isn't fixed. Bought in downloaded back in December so I got lucky.

Crisis Core finally growing on me as I am drawing closer to the end. They really did him dirty with this voice actor though, not fitting for Zack's character at all. Whoever wrote the dialogue sure isn't helping. Gameplay is a lot more fun than expected, though I am growing weary of combat and the materia fusion system. I do like how they have expanded on the universe of FF7 and show more of the central characters of the story, with the exception of Genesis.

TheUsual

Gold Member
It works by setting your location to Hong Kong, which is odd. I got to play it yesterday and it was great. Neat how they added extra playable characters in 2.
Haven't had a chance to play much of 2 yet. My memories of 1 was I got stuck early on in the game where you had to kill a priest or statue that constantly yells "None shall pass" and objects being thrown at you the entire damn time in that stage. For whatever reason, I could never beat it so I dropped it.

Glad to say I easily got past that now.

I really really wish there's a modern update some day but I doubt we ever will. And I wish Xbox let us also invert the Y axis in a custom controller profile! I just struggle with Otogi's camera controls on the right stick.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Just finished ZOE 2nd Runner and.. it's fine. It reminds me a lot of the first game - good to experience once and never again.
Does it not improve upon the first game? I found that first game had both bad story and gameplay but I wanted to try 2nd Runner anyway one day because it improved a lot upon the first… or at least so I remember reading. That not the case? Should I better stay away from it?

Does it not improve upon the first game? I found that first game had both bad story and gameplay but I wanted to try 2nd Runner anyway one day because it improved a lot upon the first… or at least so I remember reading. That not the case? Should I better stay away from it?
It's been over 20 years since I played the first game, but I mostly bought it for the MGS2 demo. I beat it, but never wanted to return to it. As far as improving, I can't really remember. It feels very similar, but that's a long memory away. It was fine to play through, if you enjoyed the first game you'll likely enjoy this one.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Crisis Core finally growing on me as I am drawing closer to the end. They really did him dirty with this voice actor though, not fitting for Zack's character at all. Whoever wrote the dialogue sure isn't helping. Gameplay is a lot more fun than expected, though I am growing weary of combat and the materia fusion system. I do like how they have expanded on the universe of FF7 and show more of the central characters of the story, with the exception of Genesis.
Even with upgraded visuals the game was design around the limitation of PSP that has only one analog stick....from that perspective the combat works well within limitation of PSP.

Last edited:
I love the moment to moment gameplay in Crisis Core. Love the battle system, thought it was great then and still a lot of fun in modern times with the remaster.

The dialogue isn't awesome and the story is honestly awful for the most part, but I enjoyed playing it.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Playing Shadow of Rose, the expansion of Resident Evil Village, featuring Ethan's daughter Rose. I'm on the second part of the DLC and it's legit pretty creepy. Like, I don't even know if I wanna continue playing, that's how scary it is. RE is usually not very intense when it comes to horror, but this is something else.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Finished the second part of Shadows of Rose. Goddamn, that was intense. Parts of it reminded me of Ghostwire Tokyos scariest mission. I wonder if Capcom stole the idea from that. It was very similar in execution and style. Anyway, it was a good section. Much better than the first part in the castle (although it was pretty good too). I like this expansion so far. I wonder if Rose is going to star in more RE-games or this is it? I read somewhere Capcom was done with the Winters arc and will reboot with part 9. Maybe she could team up with Barry's daughter Moira, another forgotten child of the RE-heroes of old. They could go off on an adventure in Revelations 3.

amigastar

Street Fighter 6
just trying to get good. Easier said than done.
Homeworld Remastered (i like it, good fun)

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
ca77865b4bc8a1ea110fbe1492f7de8f80234dd079fc181a.png

Even with upgraded visuals the game was design around the limitation of PSP that has only one analog stick....from that perspective the combat works well within limitation of PSP.

It's funny, before they announced the remake (like, right before) I started playing the original on my Vita. It was a little clunky but I could appreciate what they were trying to do. Maybe it's just playing on a full console or using a PS5 controller, but Reunion is definitely a lot more fluid. Main complaint is that it gets spammy toward the later chapters, while also being insultingly easy (yet hard unless you abuse fusion for higher rank missions).

I love the moment to moment gameplay in Crisis Core. Love the battle system, thought it was great then and still a lot of fun in modern times with the remaster.

The dialogue isn't awesome and the story is honestly awful for the most part, but I enjoyed playing it.

I liked how they built up Zack's character, and how so many different people end up liking him throughout the game from the odd favors he does. His relationship with Aerith was decent, though I feel the writing didn't do it favors. It's strange because the world building and characters Zack met in the missions were great, but the missions themselves were a slog. I tried nearly half of them and I burnt out hardcore, it was just the same few maps and fights. Thankfully they were quick, but even so there are more games I want to play (especially FF7R Intermission prior to Rebirth) so I gave up on doing them. With all of the similarities to FF7R, seems like it might be a game better revisited after Rebirth or part 3, depending on how things end up.

It's funny, before they announced the remake (like, right before) I started playing the original on my Vita. It was a little clunky but I could appreciate what they were trying to do. Maybe it's just playing on a full console or using a PS5 controller, but Reunion is definitely a lot more fluid. Main complaint is that it gets spammy toward the later chapters, while also being insultingly easy (yet hard unless you abuse fusion for higher rank missions).

I liked how they built up Zack's character, and how so many different people end up liking him throughout the game from the odd favors he does. His relationship with Aerith was decent, though I feel the writing didn't do it favors. It's strange because the world building and characters Zack met in the missions were great, but the missions themselves were a slog. I tried nearly half of them and I burnt out hardcore, it was just the same few maps and fights. Thankfully they were quick, but even so there are more games I want to play (especially FF7R Intermission prior to Rebirth) so I gave up on doing them. With all of the similarities to FF7R, seems like it might be a game better revisited after Rebirth or part 3, depending on how things end up.
Yeah, I guess I should rephrase that and be more specific. I like the stuff that basically lines up with FF VII canon from the original game, even just the day to day Shinra stuff and whatnot, or filling in some of VII's gaps in certain areas or fleshing them out a little. It's when things start to go off rails, like Genesis, that I begin to not enjoy it at all and really dislike it. So it's this strange mixed bag for me. In general I don't like any of the "expanded universe" FF VII stuff so I have the same problem with remake.

But yeah CC is still very enjoyable as a game. Awesome music, too. There's one field track in specific I really love.

Yeah, I guess I should rephrase that and be more specific. I like the stuff that basically lines up with FF VII canon from the original game, even just the day to day Shinra stuff and whatnot, or filling in some of VII's gaps in certain areas or fleshing them out a little. It's when things start to go off rails, like Genesis, that I begin to not enjoy it at all and really dislike it. So it's this strange mixed bag for me. In general I don't like any of the "expanded universe" FF VII stuff so I have the same problem with remake.

But yeah CC is still very enjoyable as a game. Awesome music, too. There's one field track in specific I really love.

The Genesis stuff is maddening. Specifically everything that happens between the Nibelheim incident and the end of the game. Huge WTF.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Finished Shadows of Rose and it got me itching for more Village so I decided to take another stab at it, but this time on Hardcore. I don't know really what I think of Village. It almost feels like a spoof of RE4. It's so ridiculously over the top, even for RE standard, that I'm wondering if Capcom is taking the piss. But it is fun, has some great boss encounters and the graphical detail is so good. The ray tracing mode at 45 fps makes some of the environments look damn near photo realistic. Village is hands down the most beautiful RE game to date. What I like most about RE7 and 8 is that Capcom has been flexing their creativity and just went nuts with the most craziest shit they could come up with. It's a big step up from 5 & 6, totally different games and feels.

Last edited:

TheUsual

Gold Member
Just beat Terminator Resistance yesterday, which took about 12 hours to finish the story. I mentioned I was playing in a prior post, but wanted to follow up.
Gameplay wise its a very average shooter with stealth elements. Nothing bad, but nothing great either. But you will enjoy it if you like Terminator (and you don't have to be a diehard fan to enjoy).

The story could (and should) be canon in my opinion. It fits perfectly in with the first two movies' storylines.

The story premise is : You play as Jacob Rivers and early on you find out you're very high on Skynet's termination list and being hunted by Infiltrators. As you go on missions for the Resistance, you start to piece together why you are being hunted.

Non spoilery end game stuff : the credits music is amazing.

I would recommend if you're a fan of the movies. If you haven't watched the first two, do so, and then play this.

Last edited:

amigastar

Guilty Gear Strive (i like it, i just wish Capcom would make a new Street Fighter Alpha game spin off with this kinda graphics)

Last edited:

foamdino

Into chapter 4 of 40k Rogue Trader on PC. Still loving the atmosphere, lore etc.

Nearly finished Hogwarts Legacy on PS5, the one stain against this game is the bloody stupid idea of utilising enemy level scaling. What the hell is wrong with developers? If I grind out side quests etc to over-level, then let my character be overpowered. That's part of what makes an RPG an RPG - I loathe this trend of "scale the enemies so it's always the same" - if you do this, remove XP and levelling and character power growth. Don't have all these progression systems then make them redundant by scaling up some stupid goblin - I blame Bethesda and Oblivion for this monumentally stupid trope.

Also picking away slowly at Gran Blue Fantasy Relink (PS5) - this is shaping up to be one of my favourite games - could be my personal goty and it's only Feb.

Diddy X

Mainly The Witcher 3 on PC first run, I sometimes play a little of other games I have this bad habit of not finishing any game sometimes being at the final mission and I quit.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Callisto Protocol: In the early goings. It’s flawed, but I’m still having fun with it. Like a good hamburger game.

Gungrave GORE: This has been a little side game I’m trying to get through. The arcade style shooting is fun in short bursts.

Guilty Gear Strive (i like it, i just wish Capcom would make a new Street Fighter Alpha game spin off with this kinda graphics)
I would prefer AcSys to do a Darkstalkers x Guilty Gear. Besides Street Fighter IV is pretty much Alpha 4 outside of air blocking and alpha counters.

amigastar

I would prefer AcSys to do a Darkstalkers x Guilty Gear. Besides Street Fighter IV is pretty much Alpha 4 outside of air blocking and alpha counters.
Yeah, but SF IV is dead, unfortunately. I really miss it, i can't stand the ultra realistic tone of the graphics of Street Fighter VI. It looks so muddy.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Star Wars The Phantom Menace

Oof, this game hasn't aged well. I reckon it was a turd even by release but 25 some years later it's downright unplayable. Blocky graphics, terrible controls, loads of annoying enemies that can drain your health in seconds and fucking Jar jar Binks. PS1 era sure had some major stinkers.

bender

What time is it?
Since this is a favorite thread of mine, I've got Steam Keys for Ultra Street Fighter IV and Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection. Quote me and tell me why Jimmy is better than your favorite Street Fighter Character and they can be yours.

Denton

Finished AssCreed Valhalla's expansions (Ireland and Paris), which were pretty good (especially Paris). Free DLC Fated Encounter where you meet Kassandra was also great.

Now playing through AssCreed Mirage and enjoying it too, Baghdad is a nice contrast to Europe and more focus on stealth makes it play quite differently.

Top Bottom