• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Fall TV shows will you be watching? - 2014 Ver. + A Look at the New Fall Shows

Status
Not open for further replies.

L1NETT

OT for Detectorists

Detectorists OT. Really recommended if you are able to watch it. Seemingly a boring topic for a sitcom, but it's really warm and fuzzy with some great understated performances from Crook and Toby Jones.

And Cornballer can you fix the title please I spelt Mackenzie Crook's name wrong ahah

Fortune

Neo Member
Sherlock

The Newsroom

Game of Thrones

How to get away with murder

Archer

The Big Bang Theory

Criminal Minds

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Bad Judge is pretty butt. The premise of a trainwreck municipal judge would be kind of funny, but a) she's not a trainwreck because besides the fact that she looks like a mess she appears to have no problem doing her job, and b) the show gives us visual or written reminders every 15 seconds. Look, she's a mess! She drinks! She sleeps with dudes! She doesn't behave like a judge! She's hip! She's not very classy! Most of the jokes are kind of just zingers, the kind of thing that if someone said in real life you'd politely chuckle because you know they were making a joke, but they're not really funny. The pilot is also a mess because most of it focuses on the Judge's relationship with a black kid that she helps out, and he's clearly supposed to be a supporting character, but I guess he didn't test well so now the pilot has no connection to the rest of the show. The municipal prosecutor is also a tool, so I'm hoping he's written off as well. Ryan Hansen plays Ryan Hansen. Can't see myself watching another episode.

Madam Secretary is just OK.

I watched episode 2. The first thing I noticed is the show's politics are increasingly clear; establishment Democrat. The episode wrestled with the way in which progressives make pragmatic compromises in order to govern. Madam Secretary is forced to call in a private military group to protect an embassy after an intransigent congressman and an unhelpful White House Chief of Staff refuse to fund government troops. As an academic, she had written some pretty unkind things about private military groups. Stuff goes south as a protest attacks the embassy, and it seems like the private military guys fired on civilians unprovoked... but then in a twist they were professionals, they saved the ambassador, and the only casualty was a poor private military contractor :( :( :( See, you liberals thought the private military guys were bad guys, but they aren't. I'm not sure this was a nuanced or interesting take on the subject.

Also, the show utilizes ends-justify-the-means thinking. Both of the major cases of the week have demonstrated Leoni's character's competence by saying "look, her strategy worked, even though everyone else disagreed with her!" rather than questioning the process that actually led to the decision-making to begin with. We can't possibly believe that everyone else is incompetent only because they grumble, they're men, and they're not the main character.

The family soap is OK. The husband seems like a bright guy, but it's not clear what actual role he plays. The new, older daughter (besides being a funny post-pilot retcon) seems like a decent actress and character, but I can't help but feel like we've already seen the story in other, better shows. Her part in this episode was that she was protesting a policy change by her university, while the family tried to encourage her to quiet down lest she attract the public eye. It was a plot on the West Wing, in the pilot even, and then later on again.

It's definitely a better show than Commander-in-Chief, but it's not there. I'll maybe give it another episode or two and hope it pulls up.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
How to Get Away With Murder might've tipped its hat a bit early in episode 2.

I'm 15 minutes into episode 2--just got the flash-forward with Wesley using a burner cell phone--and have never read anything about the show, and here's what I think the season-long arc of the show is:
- Viola Davis' husband sleeps with students in exchange for giving them better grades, or as part of some sort of experiment, or just because he's a creepy rapist (this justifies Davis' infidelity in the pilot, and sets up his murder)
- This is connected to a fraternity on campus; either the professor was a part of the fraternity when he was younger and so they have a loyalty to him, or the frat brothers are involved in things, or maybe they dose girls and then have their way with them (this explains the angry dude fighting with Wes's neighbor and how he's connected to the initial murder of the sorority girl)
- One of the girls involved threatened to blow the whistle on the whole thing or got pregnant or something to that effect; this is the girl who was found in the water tower in the pilot episode. Her killer was probably her boyfriend, but acting on behalf of the professor in some way, which justifies his comment that "It was probably the boyfriend".
- Wes's neighbor was also a victim of this
- The person Wesley is calling on the phone is his neighbor, the girl.
- Either she is a victim or she is involved or The Gang recruits her to try to figure out something about the husband.
- In the course of pursuing this, the husband does something bad or tries to hurt her, and the students end up killing him to save her.
- I suspect the male Teacher's Assistant is involved in this somehow

Edit: Got to the end of the episode, some of the things I predicted have basically been confirmed. Wow.

- Deadline: ‘The Affair’ Premiere: Showtime Sneaking Early Look Today
In advance of Sunday’s premiere, Showtime is giving viewers an opportunity to sample its new drama series The Affair, about the effects of an extramarital affair, told separately from both the male and female perspectives. Starting today, viewers can sample the TV-14 rated version of pilot for free on YouTube (http://s.sho.com/theaffair), SHO.com, via a number of television providers’ free On Demand channels and websites, and on Showtime On Demand. The premiere episode will also be available via Showtime Anytime on any computer, iPhone, iPad, Android phones and tablets, Kindle Fire, Fire Phone, Roku, Amazon Fire TV, Xbox 360 and Apple TV streaming players anywhere in the U.S., on the Showtime Preview app on Smart TVs from Samsung, LG and Panasonic, as well as for download as a free video podcast on iTunes.
I guess I'll try and knock out an OT today, though I don't really have the time.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
So whats going to be on HBO once Boardwalk Empire is over? As far as I can tell it's... nothing

Olive Kitteridge (miniseries) in early November
The Newsroom's final season, The Comeback season 2, and Getting On season 2 in late November - early December

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
From the Cancellation thread, but I'm trying to keep my show impressions in here rather than there:
Mulaney might have been the worst thing I saw last night, and I accidentally left the simpsons on..

I didn't like Mulaney's pilot either. Basically, I don't think the stand-up bits worked as well (the timing on them wasn't great and the material was trite); I don't think the doctor's office bit was all that funny; I don't think Nasim Pedrad's crazy came off as endearing; Martin Short was Martin Short; and every New York standup ever has done a joke about rent control so it's not really cheeky anymore. I dunno. I guess I just felt like it was super shallow. Also, and I feel bad saying this, Mulaney doesn't seem to be a very good lead. I really feel bad, but he's not affable enough and he's too neurotic to be a straight man, and he doesn't have the timing or voice to be a comic center of gravity. I don't see it, anyway.

Now, obviously with a multicam a pilot isn't enough to judge it, because a lot of what makes one work is interesting situations, well lived-in characters, great timing, and actual audience buy-in and you're not going to get any of those in a pilot. But there are a lot of TV shows on the air and so even watching the pilot for all of them is a luxury, so to get to a second episode I typically want to see some kind of spark and I didn't.

Stefon is funny as hell and has a surprising amount of bite to it, so I can point to that and say I respect him as a writer and I'm sure he's capable of something good, but I'm not sure a late 20s-early 30s workplace/home life friends and family multicam on FOX showcases that. Bummer.

Olive Kitteridge (miniseries) in early November
The Newsroom's final season, The Comeback season 2, and Getting On season 2 in late November - early December

Also the Duplass Bros' Togetherness, whenever the hell it ends up airing.

TripOpt55

I watched the Mulaney pilot out of curiosity and didn't like it at all. Mostly it just wasn't funny. But the acting was very stiff and it doesn't help that I don't like Martin Short.

Leeness

I'm actually really enjoying How to Get Away With Murder. Like, yeah, it telegraphs its plot a lot, but I'm having fun with it anyway.

Also Connor is hot and I would like other men to touch him every episode, thanks.

I cannot say the same of Gotham. I tried to watch the second episode and the "LOL DID YOU KNOW YOU WALK LIKE A PENGUIN????" thing made me delete it off my PVR. Less than two episodes and like, four separate characters have made the exact same, stupid fucking comparison and it's just making me roll my eyes so hard, it hurts. And it's just a constant WINK WINK about all the villains and it's so annoying, like, fuck, can't you WINK WINK at the audience a little less? There's silly and corny, and then there's STOP STOP JUST STOP BEFORE I SCREAM. It just made me mad and I don't want to be mad at TV, so deleted it.

I'm 15 minutes into episode 2--just got the flash-forward with Wesley using a burner cell phone--and have never read anything about the show, and here's what I think the season-long arc of the show is:
- Viola Davis' husband sleeps with students in exchange for giving them better grades, or as part of some sort of experiment, or just because he's a creepy rapist (this justifies Davis' infidelity in the pilot, and sets up his murder)
- This is connected to a fraternity on campus; either the professor was a part of the fraternity when he was younger and so they have a loyalty to him, or the frat brothers are involved in things, or maybe they dose girls and then have their way with them (this explains the angry dude fighting with Wes's neighbor and how he's connected to the initial murder of the sorority girl)
- One of the girls involved threatened to blow the whistle on the whole thing or got pregnant or something to that effect; this is the girl who was found in the water tower in the pilot episode. Her killer was probably her boyfriend, but acting on behalf of the professor in some way, which justifies his comment that "It was probably the boyfriend".
- Wes's neighbor was also a victim of this
- The person Wesley is calling on the phone is his neighbor, the girl.
- Either she is a victim or she is involved or The Gang recruits her to try to figure out something about the husband.
- In the course of pursuing this, the husband does something bad or tries to hurt her, and the students end up killing him to save her.
- I suspect the male Teacher's Assistant is involved in this somehow

Edit: Got to the end of the episode, some of the things I predicted have basically been confirmed. Wow.

That's possible

And, yeah, I think it tipped its hat too early with those scenes.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
anyone still watching Forever? Third episode was rough, guess this wont be another Elementary style guilty dumb pleasure >_>

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering today:

The Flash - The CW - 8/7c

Supernatural - The CW - 9/8c

Nail'd It - Oxygen - 9/8c

Town of the Living Dead - Syfy - 10/9c

garath

anyone still watching Forever? Third episode was rough, guess this wont be another Elementary style guilty dumb pleasure >_>

I still only have a 2 tuner TIVO so I was unable to record it. I watched the first episode but wasn't terribly impressed. It seemed like a poor man's House meets Elementary.

I think HBO is holding that over for next year since the year is almost over and we haven't seen or heard anything about yet.

Ratsky, help a bro out on the premium TV front. We currently have both Starz (aka Outlander channel) and Showtime, which came free for three months as a package deal.

The only thing I find remotely interesting in Sho is Homeland, but I already own the first few seasons in Blu Ray and have a mile to go to catch up. I'm thinking of dumping Sho and switching over to HBO. We're fully caught up on Game of Thrones, but that is the only HBO show we're current on.

If there's not a lot coming out in the near future there, is it worth it for the back catalogue. I've noticed some of the older stuff is now on Amazon Prime, but I'm trying to determine what recentish stuff would warrant a subscription. True Detective? Boardwalk Empire? The Leftovers?

I'm pretty clueless on their stuff...

If there's not a lot coming out in the near future there, is it worth it for the back catalogue. I've noticed some of the older stuff is now on Amazon Prime, but I'm trying to determine what recentish stuff would warrant a subscription. True Detective? Boardwalk Empire? The Leftovers?
If you're not hellbent on being up to date for some reason, there's plenty of great shows in the back catalog up on Amazon Prime that will keep you busy for months/years. Take a look at The Sopranos, Deadwood, Rome, etc... HBO is in a bit of a lull right now, so I'd say your time is better spent watching some of the classics.

Dany

Banned
Saw the first two episodes of How To Get Away with Murder. It is great TV, Rhimes knows how to do that. But GOd damn isn't viola davis being completely underutilized in this show. She is an amazing actress and to see her play such a stilted tv character. I hope they improve that :/ Also gay sex
3AQmK.gif

By the second episode i was already uninterested in the main court case.

If you're not hellbent on being up to date for some reason, there's plenty of great shows in the back catalog up on Amazon Prime that will keep you busy for months/years. Take a look at The Sopranos, Deadwood, Rome, etc... HBO is in a bit of a lull right now, so I'd say your time is better spent watching some of the classics.

Thanks for the advice. I realized that I have seen Rome, but not the rest of the back catalogue. The Wire, Deadwood, and The Sopranos would all be brand new to me. I'll take a look at everything they have listed on Amazon.

Thanks for the advice. I realized that I have seen Rome, but not the rest of the back catalogue. The Wire, Deadwood, and The Sopranos would all be brand new to me. I'll take a look at everything they have listed on Amazon.
Those are all great choices. I think Six Feet Under, Band of Brothers, and Treme are up, as well. Plenty of options regardless of what sorts of shows you like.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Ratsky, help a bro out on the premium TV front. We currently have both Starz (aka Outlander channel) and Showtime, which came free for three months as a package deal.

The only thing I find remotely interesting in Sho is Homeland, but I already own the first few seasons in Blu Ray and have a mile to go to catch up. I'm thinking of dumping Sho and switching over to HBO. We're fully caught up on Game of Thrones, but that is the only HBO show we're current on.

I'm pretty clueless on their stuff...

Bro.

Like Cornballer said, you'd be better off picking up Amazon Prime for the time being. They've got most of HBO's back catalog, as well as some of Showtime's older series (Brotherhood, United States of Tara, The Tudors, Californication) if you wanted to catch up on those as well.

There isn't much coming up on HBO in the next few months (the rest of the year is filled with low key fare such as The Newsroom, The Comeback (!!!) and Getting On) that warrants an immediate subscription, and early next year is looking a bit bare until Game of Thrones returns in late March - early April (Girls, Looking, maybe Togetherness, and maybe another comedy or miniseries to fill out their first quarter).

I'd hold off on getting HBO until Game of Thrones returns (if that's something you're interested in) and you can just catch up then on The Leftovers and True Detective.

In the meantime, Amazon Prime's got a ton of worthwhile HBO stuff to entertain you with:

All seasons of:

Oz
The Sopranos
The Wire
Deadwood
Carnivale
Rome
Big Love
Six Feet Under
Flight of the Conchords
Little Britain USA
Eastbound and Down
Enlightened
Family Tree
Bored to Death
Tenacious D

Partial seasons of:

Boardwalk Empire (season 1)
True Blood (seasons 1-3)
Treme (seasons 1-3)
In Treatment (season 1)
Extras (season 1)

(miniseries)

Band of Brothers
The Pacific
Generation Kill
John Adams
Angels in America
Mildred Pierce
Parade's End
House of Saddam

The first seasons of Girls, Veep, and The Newsroom will be added later this year.

I think Curb should be there.

It's not. Neither are Sex and the City or Entourage. I think it has something to do with the fact that those shows have preexisting syndication deals. :/

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering today:

Arrow - The CW - 8/7c

Kingdom - Audience - 9/8c

Ghost Hunters - Syfy - 9/8c

Lucha: Uprising - El Rey - 9/8c

Cutting Crew - El Rey - 10/9c

American Horror Story: Freak Show - FX - 10/9c

Jarnet87

I didn't like how to get away with murder. I think it moves too fast for it's own good. I burned myself out halfway through the first episode. There is a scene in the first episode where two characters stare at each other after a bit of a reveal and the camera literally goes back and forth between the two characters about 8 times lol.

- EW: Syfy sets premiere date for '12 Monkeys' adaptation
Syfy has set a premiere date for the highly anticipated 12 Monkeys adaptation.

Nikita’s Aaron Stanford will star as a time traveler from a decimated future, who journeys back to present day in a bid to locate and eradicate the source of a deadly plague that will pretty much annihilate the human race. Amanda Schull and Kirk Acevedo will also star.

The drama, inspired by the 1995 film that starred Bruce Willis and Brad Pitt, will debut Friday, Jan. 16 at 9 p.m. ET.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The pilot of Star Wars Rebels was just terrible. It is hideous. It is poorly animated. The backgrounds are even uglier than the characters, whose designs are bad. Every shot is poorly framed and oddly sparse, like they didn't have enough budget to polish the environment from draft to final. I am sure very talented people worked very hard on this, but I am shocked at how repulsive it was to look at. Explosions are especially low rent, and there are lots of them.

The actors were annoying. The target audience feels like it's about 7 year olds. Half the script is not particularly clever wise cracks, half of it is references to Star Wars characters ("THIS PLACE IS NAMED AFTER GRAND MOFF TARKIN!!!!!"). Fanservice in the original definition--content inserted to remind fans it's more of something they already like without convincing anyone why they should care or like it.

The sounds are mixed too loud and the sound effects are dubbed poorly; it's often unclear what the source of a sound is. The music is a mix of rewarmed Williams stuff and dull or bad original content.

The plot was basically the same Jedi Origin story as A New Hope, but poorly executed and only coherent from scene to scene. It has none of the breezy mix of serendipity and destiny that made the hero's journey interest in ANH. It basically feels like someone wrote the script in response to a prompt, top down rather than assembling ideas organically bottom up to tell an interesting story. The opening scene, which is basically one of the opening scenes of Aladdin without a catchy song, sharp writing, or earnest acting, was particularly bad.

I know I can sometimes be a little critical, but I was shocked to check the Metacritic for the series and see that the initial reviews are positive. My problem with the reviews is thus: They seem to start from the premise that the Star Wars universe is inherently interesting, and anything set in it will thus be interesting. They don't address the animation, acting, writing, target audience, or audio. They seem to basically be saying "Star Wars is great and everyone loves it and here's more of it!" The NYTimes review says "[The show has a different tone than past films] mostly it’s because the producers of “Rebels” seem to want to make a more adult, less whiz-bang story, even though Disney XD’s target audience is 6 to 14." -- I can't believe this is true. The humour is all slapstick and goofy physical comedy. The pilot was a definition of whiz-bang, driven almost entirely by action, and it seems firmly targeted at 6-14.

So colour me mystified on this one.

Sober

I think they had a blank cheque for most of TCW because Lucas was behind it but not for Rebels; they have a real budget now. Someone showed me a side-by-side of what wookies looked like in TCW vs. Rebels and boy oh boy was it drastically ... bad.

I mean, it has to be the budget or something because even like 2 seasons removed from TCW last I watched it, it had better animation quality than Rebels.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The pilot of Star Wars Rebels was just terrible. It is hideous. It is poorly animated. The backgrounds are even uglier than the characters, whose designs are bad. Every shot is poorly framed and oddly sparse, like they didn't have enough budget to polish the environment from draft to final. I am sure very talented people worked very hard on this, but I am shocked at how repulsive it was to look at. Explosions are especially low rent, and there are lots of them.

The actors were annoying. The target audience feels like it's about 7 year olds. Half the script is not particularly clever wise cracks, half of it is references to Star Wars characters ("THIS PLACE IS NAMED AFTER GRAND MOFF TARKIN!!!!!"). Fanservice in the original definition--content inserted to remind fans it's more of something they already like without convincing anyone why they should care or like it.

The sounds are mixed too loud and the sound effects are dubbed poorly; it's often unclear what the source of a sound is. The music is a mix of rewarmed Williams stuff and dull or bad original content.

So it's basically the same as Star Wars: The Clone Wars?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The Flash was a little surprising to me. Definitely a better pilot than Arrow or Agents of Shield. It reminded me a lot of the Sam Raimi Spiderman, in a few ways, especially the relationship setup. All the characters are pretty thinly drawn and archetypal, but other than that I thought it was mostly a decent ride. Breezy, light, enjoyable, and surprisingly not terrible looking. Moved past the origin story pretty quickly and onto the case of the week. My only real complaint is that, like Arrow, it's shot like a music video--constant constant cuts for the easily distracted generation. I realize I also complained about this in Gotham, so maybe I just don't like superhero TV shows made for teen boys.

... is the review I was going to write, until they had the scene where Flash runs 600 miles (at his speed, still a several hour run) to meet Arrow on top of a building and then they call each other cool siiiiiick and then the back part of the episode is mostly pretty cliché. I did bust out laughing when Flash defeats a tornado supervillain by running as fast as the tornado but in the opposite direction to.... blow up the tornado? Then we get the dumb suit reveal, the worst part of any superhero thing. And then the main paralyzed guy isn't paralyzed and he has a magical future news machine or something?

Anyway, still not terrible. Still better than Arrow or Agents of Shield's pilots. But a little disappointing just how on-formula it went at the end there. I do feel like the massive amount of superhero content available in TV and film is at least encouraging people to refine their techniques and figure out tonal stuff a bit. Like, in the same way that an FPS made now benefits from just how many have been made over the last few years or whatever.

TheOddOne

The plot was basically the same Jedi Origin story as A New Hope, but poorly executed and only coherent from scene to scene. It has none of the breezy mix of serendipity and destiny that made the hero's journey interest in ANH. It basically feels like someone wrote the script in response to a prompt, top down rather than assembling ideas organically bottom up to tell an interesting story. The opening scene, which is basically one of the opening scenes of Aladdin without a catchy song, sharp writing, or earnest acting, was particularly bad.

I know I can sometimes be a little critical, but I was shocked to check the Metacritic for the series and see that the initial reviews are positive. My problem with the reviews is thus: They seem to start from the premise that the Star Wars universe is inherently interesting, and anything set in it will thus be interesting. They don't address the animation, acting, writing, target audience, or audio. They seem to basically be saying "Star Wars is great and everyone loves it and here's more of it!" The NYTimes review says "[The show has a different tone than past films] mostly it’s because the producers of “Rebels” seem to want to make a more adult, less whiz-bang story, even though Disney XD’s target audience is 6 to 14." -- I can't believe this is true. The humour is all slapstick and goofy physical comedy. The pilot was a definition of whiz-bang, driven almost entirely by action, and it seems firmly targeted at 6-14.

So colour me mystified on this one.
I read all of this in Jeff Gertsmann's voice and nodded the whole time.

tim.mbp

The Nance is also on tonight's Live from Lincoln Center on PBS. Stars Nathan Lane who was nominated for a Tony for his performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom