• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Fall TV shows will you be watching? - 2014 Ver. + A Look at the New Fall Shows

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering today:

Selfie - ABC - 8/7c

Manhattan Love Story - ABC - 8:30/7:30c

Makers: Women Who Make America - PBS - 9/8c

Happyland - MTV - 11/10c

Just finished Broadchurch last night and I discovered that Gracepoint, the US Fox remake, starts tomorrow.
That trailer is ridiculous - it's the exact same show scene-for-scene. And David Tennant again? Dude must be suffering from major deja vu at this point. Figures Anna Gunn is in this too.
What a disastrous US entry for Tennant.

Vert boil

So Manhatten Love Story started last night,

A little rough and I doubt that it will get any better but I'll watch a some more.

So Happyland started last night,

no... that wasn't Josh Groban...
it was
. He's really done a good job playing both sides. *doffs cap*

Bog standard MTV show. Poop compared to Awkward.

Penguin

Just finished Broadchurch last night and I discovered that Gracepoint, the US Fox remake, starts tomorrow.
That trailer is ridiculous - it's the exact same show scene-for-scene. And David Tennant again? Dude must be suffering from major deja vu at this point. Figures Anna Gunn is in this too.
What a disastrous US entry for Tennant.

I'm kind of curious about the changes/pacing because ours will be 10 episode, while Broadchurch was only 8.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I'm kind of curious about the changes/pacing because ours will be 10 episode, while Broadchurch was only 8.

Critics were sent the first 7 episodes, and it's only in the 7th that any real plot changes begin. It's unclear what will happen from there.

Sober

Manhattan Love Story has that terrible thing where the first 2 acts are utter shit but it mostly hits the landing in the end. Maybe I'll give it a few more. Except I didn't see much that was any good in those first two acts either, unlike, say Selfie which wasn't great either but had some more going for it.

Well here comes the rampant misogyny and utter hatred for Anna Gunn just because she played Skylar White.

Critics were sent the first 7 episodes, and it's only in the 7th that any real plot changes begin. It's unclear what will happen from there.

I wasn't really planning on watching it, but once I heard Sepinwall/Fienberg say that on their podcast yesterday it went from "really unlikely" to "not a chance in hell" to me.

I still don't get why Fox decided to remake this.

Dan

I wasn't really planning on watching it, but once I heard Sepinwall/Fienberg say that on their podcast yesterday it went from "really unlikely" to "not a chance in hell" to me.

I still don't get why Fox decided to remake this.

It would be easier to find merit in it if they simply took the premise and did their own thing. But when you use the same writer, same director, same leading man, and follow the plot beat-by-beat for several episodes... what are you doing?

The Fall, Season 2
The-Fall.jpg

Downhome

My lord, Bad Judge looks like one of the worst things ever. Every time I see a commercial for it I think it's a parody or something like that. It comes across like one of those Sarah Marshall shows from the movie, those different parody commercials they had.

Holy smokes, I already can't believe it got the green light and I haven't even watched it yet.

I've only watched the pilot for Scorpion but just wanted to add a comment. It gave me strong 80s action show vibes. Like A-Team or Riptide. Cheesy as fuck, over the top and taking itself too seriously but fun anyway.

L1NETT

January in the UK.

Thanks Ratsky :)

Speaking of unknown airdates still wanna know when Babylon airs, if it's still this year. Think that has so much potential

---

Also, first ep of Series 2 of Peaky Blinders this evening. Should be a good un.

Edit: Oh, and Cornballer..apologies if this isn't the right place to ask this but would it possible to change the title of The official Peaky Blinders thread to Learn to hate the accent - Series 2 Thursdays on BBC Two @ 9:00

Ta in advance!

Leependi

*MAJOR SPOILER ALERT*
She plays another oblivious wife who discovers her mild husband is a cold-blooded killer
*MAJOR SPOILER ALERT*

- for Gracepoint/Broadchurch.

Surely in Gracepoint they would have changed the killer to avoid having it spoiled so easily? But I suppose if they're dumb enough to think it required a remake, who knows?

Btw, did someone volunteer to make a Gracepoint thread? Hopefully we can have one up before the premiere tonight. (No, I'm not going to do it.)

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Prmiering today:

The Vampire Diaries - The CW - 8/7c

Reign - The CW - 9/8c

Gracepoint - Fox - 9/8c

Bad Judge - NBC - 9/8c

A to Z - NBC - 9:30/8:30c

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Man, watching the second episode of Gotham. Again, the editing is terrible. A major scene happens and then a fraction of a second later, cut to something else. They won't let anything breathe. Is the target audience this distracted that two seconds of a lingering camera would make them lose interest?

Scene 1: Alfred hugs Bruce Wayne and says "It's gonna be alright". The shot is held for less than half a second
* cut to establishing shot of Gotham*
Scene 2: Bad Guys show up to where Catwoman is. Scene ends with dude throwing a kid through the restaurant window. They show the glass of the window explode from two different angles (incidentally, terrible shot). The shot is held for less than a second
*cut to establishing shot of Gotham*
Scene 3: Gordon and cops investigate dead homeless vet. Gordon calls random cop a bad cop, a fight stops, Bullock drops his coffee, close up of Bullock's exasperated face. Shot is held for... about half a second
Scene 4: Kid who got thrown through a window is at Gotham PD, tells the conspiracy, Gordon tells Bullock it's illegal to beat the shit out of a random person for no reason. Pushing fight, Bullock knees a random cop in the nuts (who is totally not a cameo intro of a future villain omg ~squee fanboy ~ *rolleyes*) Cut to reaction shot of Gordon, which is held for a never-ending two seconds.
*cut to Penguin hitchhiking*
Scene 5: Penguin hitchhiking. Penguin breaks a beer bottle and stabs one of the guys in the truck. This shot is held for about 1/10th of a second
*cut to Gotham title card*

Dan

As if you didn't have enough TV to watch at the moment, Peaky Blinders: Series 1 crossed the pond to Netflix two days ago.

Thanks Ratsky :)

Speaking of unknown airdates still wanna know when Babylon airs, if it's still this year. Think that has so much potential

Was the pilot/movie any good? I recorded it off Sundance, haven't watched it yet, however. I don't see any info on a firm date for the series.

Are there ant discussions or threads about UK shows? I'm in the US but I've been watching Glue, which is a UK based show on Channel 4 and was wondering if anyone else was watching.

Commercials breaks in the US can easily add up to 2 full episodes, especially Fox.

Surely in Gracepoint they would have changed the killer to avoid having it spoiled so easily? But I suppose if they're dumb enough to think it required a remake, who knows?

As far as I can tell it's a scene-for-scene remake.

Considering about 12 people in the US have seen Broadchurch, I don't really think it's an issue.

Haha yeah, that's probably true. Hell I'll probably watch it tonight just to see Tennant's attempt at an American accent.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Was the pilot/movie any good? I recorded it off Sundance, haven't watched it yet, however. I don't see any info on a firm date for the series.

Babylon was excellent. Good performance by Brit Marling, interesting subject matter, well executed, visually novel.

Pickman

Man, I'm really looking forward to Mulaney. John Mulaney is one of my favorite comedians and he's got massive comedy writing chops, so I'm excited to see what he pulls off.

Sober

Man, watching the second episode of Gotham. Again, the editing is terrible. A major scene happens and then a fraction of a second later, cut to something else. They won't let anything breathe. Is the target audience this distracted that two seconds of a lingering camera would make them lose interest?

Scene 1: Alfred hugs Bruce Wayne and says "It's gonna be alright". The shot is held for less than half a second
Scene 2: Bad Guys show up to where Catwoman is. Scene ends with dude throwing a kid through the restaurant window. They show the glass of the window explode from two different angles (incidentally, terrible shot). The shot is held for less than a second
*cut to establishing shot of Gotham*
Scene 3: Gordon and cops investigate dead homeless vet. Gordon calls random cop a bad cop, a fight stops, Bullock drops his coffee, close up of Bullock's exasperated face. Shot is held for... about half a second
Scene 4: Kid who got thrown through a window is at Gotham PD, tells the conspiracy, Gordon tells Bullock it's illegal to beat the shit out of a random person for no reason. Pushing fight, Bullock knees a random cop in the nuts (who is totally not a cameo intro of a future villain omg ~squee fanboy ~ *rolleyes*) Cut to reaction shot of Gordon, which is held for a never-ending two seconds.
*cut to Penguin hitchhiking*
Scene 5: Penguin hitchhiking. Penguin breaks a beer bottle and stabs one of the guys in the truck. This shot is held for about 1/10th of a second
*cut to Gotham title card*
You could cut one of scene 3 or 4 (or both) out of the teaser and stick them at the start of the first act. Felt way too busy. But yeah, it's really bothered me how they just cut immediately to something else like it's nobody's business. Or is it supposed to be a trademark thing where Penguin murders someone but they cut away immediately. I don't get it.

Linius

So, any good comedies (20 minute -ish ones) debuted yet? Last year B99 took me by surprise so I hope there's another gem this year.

Vert boil

So Bad Judge started last night,

You know that faecal transplant therapy, right? Well, they took an episode of Trophy Wife and put it up Bad Teachers bottom. Instead of curing Bad Teacher, the stool merged with an episode of Bad Teacher and Bad Judge was created. 💩💩💩

edit,

So Scrotal Recall started last night,

Only watch it due to the name and was expecting it to be shit. It was fairly decent, cliched but it had some charm.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering today:

Legend of Korra - Nick.com

Last Man Standing - ABC - 8/7c

Star Wars Rebels: Spark Of Rebellion - Disney XD - 9/8c

Austin City Limits Celebrates 40 Years - PBS - 9/8c

Gabriel Iglesias Presents Stand Up Revolution - Comedy Central

So Bad Judge started last night,

You know that faecal transplant therapy, right? Well, they took an episode of Trophy Wife and put it up Bad Teachers bottom. Instead of curing Bad Teacher, the stool merged with an episode of Bad Teacher and Bad Judge was created.

WOW

Scrotal Recall

great title, but what is it?

Vert boil

great title, but what is it?

Guy gets an STD and has to let all his ex partners know aboot it. (I'm presuming from the pilot and the title of the next episode) that it will be a mini romcom each week about how he met each girl with an season long story arc about
his best friend being his true love. She got engaged at the end of the first ep. *YAWN*

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Guy gets an STD and has to let all his ex partners know aboot it. (I'm presuming from the pilot and the title of the next episode) that it will be a mini romcom each week about how he met each girl with an season long story arc about
his best friend being his true love. She got engaged at the end of the first ep. *YAWN*

sounds amazing lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom