• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you think of PS5's look

Absolutely, I bought both PS4 and PRO at their launches. Consoles still run like a dream. It's the only gen I've not opened one of my PS systems to check it out or clean it. I don't even cover it for dust like I did prior consoles. They are just sitting there taking all the dust, I dust the top of it occasionally, that's it. At odd occasions the fans ramp up, most times when I'm not even playing anything really. I think this maybe some cleaning measure or some auto maintenance feature that PS4 has. Most of the time whilst I've been gaming, I don't hear a thing. I guess you may hear the fan if your job is to put your ear next to it instead of playing the game....
I have a tough time believing this. My Pro is loud AF when it spools up the fans and always has been, whereas my One X is always quiet. Personally, I think the asthetic design of the PS5 is terrible. I want the console to blend in with the rest of my electronics. Hopefully, they'll release a more subdued design that can stillstay cool in the future

Last edited:

MetalAlien

Banned
Quick 'n dirty job to make it look boring.

fgvsFTg.png
Oh my god it is a router.

Tehvenom

Honestly, It's a really great design and very different than what they had shown in the past. very futuristic and artistic with of course a design choice in mind for all that heat to disperse nicely.

Kanton

Looks like some cheap ali express product. Sony has a lot of great design in their high end stuff, wtf!?! Minimalism, clear lines, how difficult is it?

nemiroff

Gold Member
It's funny how I love the controller while at the same time I think the console looks super-weird (and add to that the size..), and worsening every time I see it. I can't unsee "the jacket". A possible quick fix until a slim version would be an optional matte black finish.

cormack12

Gold Member
Just been looking again, it looks to be much shallower than the PS4 Pro. It looks like lying down, it's only2 and a bit controllers deep, whereas the Pro is pretty much three - unless the Dualsense is much bigger than the DS4 as well.

Breakage

I think the idea behind the white outer casing was to give the illusion that the console was in motion or in a state of partial undress. But it just ends up looking as if someone has prised the casing apart to reveal the inner console.

Last edited:

sinnergy

Its designed with cooling efficiency in mind, we await to see how they did it. Some fun mock ups below from others (note this is just a guess from someone its not real)

Function first then form after.

ZGk3OcR.jpg
Function over form , is often miss used . But great for PR.

nobody likes ugly stuff, the trick is to make it nice and functional .

there is a nice article about how they designed the sr-71 blackbird airplane , which was form first , mantra was : something that’s beautiful and well designed will also function nicely .

as itmore about thinking and solving problems.

engineers not always liked this approach but it is a winning philosophy.

much like apple’s is.

that’s why series X design is spot on. Not to large , fits in cabinets , it blends in, doesn’t stand out , but has personality.

Last edited:

geordiemp

Function over form , is often misused .
nobody likes ugly stuff, the trick is to make it nice and functional .

there is a nice article about how they designed the sr-71 blackbird airplane , which was form first , mantra was : something that’s beautiful and well designed will also function nicely .

as it more about thinking and solving problems.

engineers not always liked this approach but it is a winning philosophy.

much like apple’s is.

So show me a design with AMD silicon running at 2.23 Ghz and I will believe you.

Ps5 is designed around this function and the GPU is clocking 20 % above XSX so needed a better design to do this function.

At the moment its the fastest clocked AMD GPU we have seen until the new wave of PC stuiff comes.

sinnergy

So show me a design with AMD silicon running at 2.23 Ghz and I will believe you.

Ps5 is designed around this function and the GPU is clocking 20 % above XSX so needed a better design to do this function.

At the moment its the fastest clocked AMD GPU we have seen until the new wave of PC stuiff comes.
Why would I need to? I design different stuff, that’s Sony’s job. And seeing what MS did , And what Sony did in the past, I think Sony can do better.

the outer shell could look like anything , so I don’t really know why they did it like this . But it’s what they stand for so atleast they stand by it, I think it’s unpractical and So it’s not helping convenience, and products are about convenience. If you lay it down it does not fit in most cabinets for example .

in my designs I always try to remove as much as I can but keep the feeling and convenience stuff.

the whole coat part , I would have removed it, it adds nothing and if it adds nothing it’s not worth keeping .

Its more about the internal airflow you are referring to.

Last edited:

sinnergy

You can only make that call when we see the cooling layout and function, not before,
Imo it still more about the internal design for airflow, the weird taco designed outside , I can hardly imagine it has impact on that.

they could have made it more rectangular with rounded corners for example.

but for the sake of the discussion, yeah you are right , we don’t have all the ins and outs.

but aesthetically, personally, I think it’s a mess.

Last edited:

Rippa

It’s slowly growing on me.
I have to say though it looks like Sony actually put some thought into the design and came out with something unique.
Unlike the tall (when vertical) rectangle that is the XSX. To me it seems like Microsoft didn’t give a shit what it looks like. Just stacked all the components together put a box around it and called it a day.
The X1X looks so much sexier.

Last edited:

sinnergy

I have to say though it looks like Sony actually put some thought into the design and came out with something unique.
Unlike the tall (when vertical) rectangle that is the XSX. To me it seems like Microsoft didn’t give a shit what it looks like. Just stacked all the components together put a box around it and called it a day.
Something that’s looks as simple as you mention is most of the time the hardest to achieve.

just saying .

scalman

it looks great, but until i will own it same as with ps4 pro, it looks good, but its there stands side by TV and thats all, i dont look at it when i play games for sure , so doesit matter much, XSX box would stand there too and be just box, still fine.
as with most things you most excited about them until you have them, and later its just daily stuff nothing special. what will we special is controller and games , UI , those will be that you will handle everytime. i personaly wont touch PS5 box or put discs in it , so controller is more important thing there.

Last edited:
Do you think that the edges of the plastic "coat" can be filed down?

Of course, it can. It's just plastic. But I wouldn't do that. The PS5 engineers probably designed those flairs for function. It looks to me that in addition to directing the airflow outward, they may serve as a protective layer for the middle section of the PS5 in case you dropped it on the floor.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
They chose to not let the console standout too much. It blends in your environment. Some people call that boring, but I actually love it. It's clean, simple, minimal, and probably doesn't make a lot of noise.

Bryank75

Banned
It has style, it took a risk... I love it and I wouldn't count on gamers who think a black cuboid is amazing for opinions on design.

The way the LED's highlight the fins and make the vents a style feature rather than just big holes. The curves are sexy and more akin to car or modern building design, as people have compared it to buildings in Dubai...I believe that supports the fact that many people felt similarly.

The simple fact is that if it had an X on the side, almost everyone here criticising the design would completely change their tune.

Last edited:
Top Bottom