• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you think of PS5's look

Hayriko

Just like somebody already said.

The series X is designed to blend with your media setup and the ps5 is designed to look futuristic and stylish.

Zabuzauron

Neo Member
I like it a lot, but I would love to see the black version. White console don't match my living room (not only mine, I suppose)...I remember the effect of the first white xbox 360 near a black TV and black PS3 slim....

Just like somebody already said.

The series X is designed to blend with your media setup and the ps5 is designed to look futuristic and stylish.

The only way that the XSX will fit in people's media setups is if you lay it on the side, and that image is just hideous!

It has style, it took a risk... I love it and I wouldn't count on gamers who think a black cuboid is amazing for opinions on design.

The way the LED's highlight the fins and make the vents a style feature rather than just big holes. The curves are sexy and more akin to car or modern building design, as people have compared it to buildings in Dubai...I believe that supports the fact that many people felt similarly.

The simple fact is that if it had an X on the side, almost everyone here criticising the design would completely change their tune.
What do you have against cuboids (ie gamecube)? Unusual/Outlandish design isn't necessarily better design. Subdued/simple not always worse. XSX not "amazing", but is easier on the eyes. Neutral. If PS5 had X on the side it'd be just as divisive. Also would be easier to swallow if half the size.

Both consoles could look better, but PS5 easier to make fun of. Problem is design language used associated as much with the expensive (cars, modern skyscrapers) as well as the cheap that tries to look expensive (hair dryers, air purifiers). Just look at all the memes already.

Bryank75

Banned
What do you have against cuboids (ie gamecube)? Unusual/Outlandish design isn't necessarily better design. Subdued/simple not always worse. XSX not "amazing", but is easier on the eyes. Neutral. If PS5 had X on the side it'd be just as divisive. Also would be easier to swallow if half the size.

Both consoles could look better, but PS5 easier to make fun of. Problem is design language used associated as much with the expensive (cars, modern skyscrapers) as well as the cheap that tries to look expensive (hair dryers, air purifiers). Just look at all the memes already.
As I said, at least they put in some effort, a two year old with a crayon could design the SX...
It is obvious that the aesthetics of the vents spanning the entire console had significant thought put into it.... there is an elegance to it despite it's size.

Unfortunately the Xbox has very little that stands out or makes it different from the older generations... controller is almost identical, console is just a bigger black box and it doesnt even have it's own dash or 1st party exclusives.... where is the push to upgrade?

HomerSimpsonCar.jpeg

Looks like a clusterfuck to be honest. I don't see anything aesthetically pleasing about it from a design perspective. Its lacking the Japanese design philosophies that were present in the previous console iterations.

Roufianos

I actually don't mind the colour, it's the collar part that's killing me. It just looks so odd.

Looks good from the side though, might just display it like that.

Orta

Banned
You can change it up if you want :messenger_sunglasses:

gdrfsgrsf.jpg

:messenger_sunglasses:

the_master

As I said, at least they put in some effort, a two year old with a crayon could design the SX...
It is obvious that the aesthetics of the vents spanning the entire console had significant thought put into it.... there is an elegance to it despite it's size.

Unfortunately the Xbox has very little that stands out or makes it different from the older generations... controller is almost identical, console is just a bigger black box and it doesnt even have it's own dash or 1st party exclusives.... where is the push to upgrade?
You can't estimate the time it took to design based on its simplicity.
There are hundreds of cheap products that look like the ps5 (but don't have the ps logo)

Breakage

Official horizontal shot of both PS5 models:
ps5-console.original.jpg

I said it before, but the illusion that the design creates makes it look as if someone has pulled the white casing apart to expose the inner section of the console. It's more noticeable on the disc model of the PS5. It looks broken.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
It looks strange horizontally, looks fine vertically. If it was all one colour it looks really cool. But Sony obviously wanted to take a risk with the two tone. And judging by views on YouTube etc. It has got a lot of attention.

as long as it is cool and quiet then I don't really care what it looks like. I will most likely pick up the inevitable “pro” version at some stage in the future anyway. Or a special edition.

It is bad. It look muy mal.

It is bad enough that am very close to waiting for the PS5 Pro. It just doesnt belong in my living room where everything is black and hides itself. Maybe if I was 15 and worshipped Sony I might be stoked.

I have no doubt that the pro version will be a total re-engineer of whatever this thing is.

Trimesh

Banned
I said it before, but the illusion that the design creates makes it look as if someone has pulled the white casing apart to expose the inner section of the console. It's more noticeable on the disc model of the PS5. It looks broken.

My guess is that they were trying to design the case so that the air was exhausted in a direction where it was unlikely to be obstructed - the problem is that in practice that also means some place where it's likely to be visible. I certainly think that putting LEDs there to draw attention to the gap in the casing is a bold - if possibly questionable - design decision. I guess the real question is going to be just how much cooling is it going to need? It's quite a bit narrower than the XSX (36 CU Vs 52), but it's also running significantly faster - so it comes down to how far up the (process determined) ramp of increasing power consumption it's going to be. It would also be nice to see inside to check out the cooling system.

Arkam

The more I look at it horizontal the more I really like it. A week in and it feels "normal" and not as out there as it did at first blush. Just looks like a PlayStation (PS2/3 asymmetry) with some curves and a side vent. Vertical still looks a bit avant garde but I am sure that too will fade a bit.

Rodolink

Official horizontal shot of both PS5 models:
ps5-console.original.jpg

I'll definitely not place it horizontally. I can't stop seeing a duck beak.

iJudged

Banned
To me, honestly, it looks stupid, i don't like it at all, but at the end of the day, i never look at my consoles, i can hide it if i need to. I plug that sucka in and play games, i don't stare at it, not gonna stop me from enjoying the shit out of it.

Elcid

Banned
I love the look. Looks like a router but nowadays routers look cool AF so.... XSX though looks like a speaker. Disappointed in that one.

-Arcadia-

Banned
After some time has gone by, I mostly like it.

I do feel like Sony aesthetics tend to be over-engineered, and trying a little bit too hard, but all the same, I enjoy the cool, white-on-black, LED lit, futuristic vibes here. At least vertically. I have serious doubts about this design as a horizontal one.

My only concern is how these new systems (Series X is a problem too) are going to fit in my entertainment center, without resorting to the horizontal configurations (again, Series X sucks here too). It seems like I’m going to have to make radical adjustments, or buy a new one altogether, and that’s really annoying.

With all this brutalist design that permeats everything from houses to gadgets, I kinda like it looks different. I would be far more disappointed if it looks like the run of the mill NZXT , Phanteks, Razr design. I enjoyed it when it was novel at first, but now everyone does it, kinda lost its fizzle imo.

The Alien

Banned
I dont particularly like the design...but appreciate Sony trying to have some flair.

The size is more of an issue to me. I wasnt particularly bothered my OG X1, but that pic of the first PS5 rolling of the line is meme worthy.

Blueghost

Neo Member
I like the futuristic vibes, for too long I’ve had “low profile” consoles, boxes designed to not stand out and just be another one in you setup, so I welcome the change. Also I’m pretty sure down the line there will be options for those who just can’t stand the design as well as the color scheme.

Top Bottom