• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wanting to play Resident Evil series for the first time, need advice

RE1 on PC takes a bit to get used to, but once you do, damn is it an amazing game. I guess I'm used to the controls as I played the OGs on PS1, so I can imagine it might be a bit more difficult for someone who never did. Well worth the investment though.

As for the rest, I recommend RE2/3/4 Remake, OG RE4 with the high-res texture mod, 7 and Village.

You can safely skip 0, Veronica and 6.

5, Revelations 1 and Revelations 2 are okay, and worth at least one playthrough, but you should only get those if you are a fan.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
RE1 on PC takes a bit to get used to, but once you do, damn is it an amazing game. I guess I'm used to the controls as I played the OGs on PS1, so I can imagine it might be a bit more difficult for someone who never did. Well worth the investment though.

As for the rest, I recommend RE2/3/4 Remake, OG RE4 with the high-res texture mod, 7 and Village.

You can safely skip 0, Veronica and 6.

5, Revelations 1 and Revelations 2 are okay, and worth at least one playthrough, but you should only get those if you are a fan.

Yeah, plan on going back to RE1 after I get into the franchise a bit. Too many folks encouraging me to just let it go. Loving RE2R still.

Topher

Gold Member
RE2R is a bit of a maze. I've been in the police station the whole time trying to figure out the way forward. Finally referred to a guide. I definitely get the appeal of this game. Managing resources is a huge part. Having to decide what to keep in inventory is crucial considering anything discarded is gone for good.

Is it possible to discard something in the game that makes it impossible to complete?

killatopak

RE2R is a bit of a maze. I've been in the police station the whole time trying to figure out the way forward. Finally referred to a guide. I definitely get the appeal of this game. Managing resources is a huge part. Having to decide what to keep in inventory is crucial considering anything discarded is gone for good.

Is it possible to discard something in the game that makes it impossible to complete?
Other ridding yourself of all your ammo, effectively losing any way for combat, no.

Key items aren't able to be discarded until they have been used on all actions that require them. You'll notice this when you see a red checkmark hovering around the item icon.

violence

The map will tell you rooms you haven’t entered or collected all items. You likely need to solve a puzzle

Beechos

Don't horde resources or ammo. Theres usually more than enough to get you through the whole game as long as you don't really suck and waste a ton of ammo/health recovery items.

Last edited:

SHA

1,2,3,cv,4,5,6,7,8
Outbreak 1,2
Revelation 1,2
Dead Aim
Umbrella Chronicles
Darkside Chronicles
Remakes 0,1,2,3,4
Visit the Wikipedia page to put them in order.

Top Bottom