• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VG Tech] Outriders PS5 and Xbox Series X|S Frame Rate Test

Concern

Native resolution pixel counts at 1920x1080 seem to be very rare on Xbox Series X and were found less often than on PS5.
Dj Khaled GIF by Kids' Choice Awards
Dr Evil Lol GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Kinda crazy that ps5 is dropping to 1080p more often, I thought with the speed of the GPU it wouldnt need to do so as much.

I deffo think the tools seem to be shaping up.

TheDude108

The final image quality is all that matters in the end, which appears to be in favour of the PS5 in this case. I wonder what has caused the texture filtering to be so low on the XSX, could be a configuration mismatch with it and the XSS, but even for close up objects, the image quality is a good bit better on PS5.

The resolution difference is pretty much imperceptible at a normal sitting distance, especially since it's dynamic on both consoles. The 0.01% framerate advantage on PS5 is honestly laughable. Anyone using that as an argument needs to leave the chat.

The only real perceptible difference to me is the texture filtering and on that front, the PS5 seems to have a clear advantage according to the screenshots. Still, I don't know about any of you but when I play this type of game, I rarely focus on floor textures and analyze them. I usually move a lot, turn the camera, shoot, etc. This is something I see myself noticing once of twice, wish it was better and then move on.

If I had to choose a version as the best version, I'd pick the PS5 version. I'm still going to play on my Series X since it's included with gamepass.

I think both versions are worth of anyone's time and picking a version as the best version is just academic exercice. I don't think anyone playing the PS5 version wishes they were playing the Series X version or vice-versa.

ethomaz

Banned
you have to be joking right, like literally nothing in it. PS5 has the drop to the lowest point in FPS but it isn't even noticeable, your trolling just gets worse and worse
Actually Series X has the lowest drop in framerate... one frame at 50ms (between 20 and 29fps) but it is just one frame for 50ms and it is imperceptible.

The lowest drop in PS5 is 30ms that means over 30fps and below 59fps.

The framerate difference is really imperceptible.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Huge texture filtering advantage in ps5

QmBHfD1.gif
Now in this pic, what do you see, the resolution advantage or the texture advantage.....I feel when games start to use the IO to do more varied locales using even higher fidelity textures, where you move faster between different locales whilst keeping textures placed in within seconds or a second, the differences will expand even more....Seeing textures load in or swapped in would be something you see less on PS5 due to the faster IO...Anything texture/asset related tbh....

Mr.ODST

Completed the game close to 100% on Series S so ill give my 2 pennies on how it looks and performs on the console as im away for work so cant play on XSX

On a 1080p monotor looks really crisp at times been extremely impressed with ot, performance has been good but there has been quite a few crashes that have happened way to often!

good experience on the machine!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
check minimum frame rate and PS5 is 55fps and xbox series x is 56FPs so ps5 has lowest but there is nothing in it basically
I'm not sure. Wouldnt fps and frame time go together?

How could PS5 be lowest at 55 fps, but X has the worst frame time of 50 which is 20 fps?

ethomaz

Banned
check minimum frame rate and PS5 is 55fps and xbox series x is 56FPs so ps5 has lowest but there is nothing in it basically
Number of frames in that second higher yes.
But you said drop and Series X has the lowest drop... 50ms... 50ms is when the render is below 30fps.

It dropped to 20-29fps for 50ms but in that second number of frames where higher because the others 57 frames were in 16ms.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo

How could PS5 be lowest at 55 fps, but X has the worst frame time of 50 which is 20 fps?
its on the first page the stats, also there is only 3fps difference between the 2 in the whole count of fps on the whole test

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Number of frames in that second higher yes.
But you said drop and Series X has the lowest drop... 50ms... 50ms is when the render is below 30fps.

It dropped to 20-29fps for 50ms but in that second number of frames where higher because the others 58 frames were in 16ms.

there is 3fps difference counted between the whole test, there isn't much difference like I said but lowest count is 55fps

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Ya, I saw the chart, but wouldnt a 50 frame time mean X would have a Min Frame Time of 20 fps?

Maybe I'm misinterpreting the charts wrong and these things dont go together.

look at the amount of frames counted between both, there is only 3fps difference over the whole test

ethomaz

Banned

Probably because in one second you have 1 frame in 50ms but all the others in 16ms... that give you 58 frames in that second.

50ms in 1 frame
950ms in 57 frames (16.66ms)

The 950ms can be 1x 33.33ms and 55x 16.66ms... the combination just need to be equal or over 56 frames in that second.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Probably because in one second you have 1 frame in 50ms but all the others in 16ms... that give you 58 frames in that second.

50ms in 1 frame
950ms in 57 frames (16.66ms)

The 950ms can be 1x 33.33ms and 55x 16.66ms... the combination just need to be equal or over 56 frames in that second.
basically nobody will notice the difference on either version frame rate wise

What happened there? AF looks completely broken on Xbox, looks like N64 textures further into the screen.
Is it like that all the time or is that some split second oddity?
All the time. It was already like this in the demo and was already noticed by VGTech.

EDIT: I was too slow!

Last edited:
Top Bottom