• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vampire Survivors |OT| There are some very good reasons to be afraid of the dark

Knightime_X

Is it even possible to make it to 30 minutes? I've died twice at 29:54. Despiste doing untold amounts of damage there are just too many enemies on screen.
Some weapons to consider upgrading is the dagger.
At even near max its godlike. It helps you move forward.
Any stronger and you're just mowing the lawn.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Ignore Laurel until mid-late game. If you haven’t evolved weapons, experiment with load outs (or cheat and look the up). 3 or so evolutions in one run is usually enough to get to minute 30 with the bosses gone.

Sorry, I might have been unclear. I reach the end of the stages fine, beyond the 30min mark (Stage Clear) but then I have to face for example the Red Reaper in Mad Forest.

I'm usually rocking at least 3 - 5 evolved weapons / passives. But no matter how god like I am at that point facing the final reaper boss, the boss basically beelines right on top of me and I'm unable to move. I've cleared all the stages (plus 4x Hypers) and have unlocked the bonus and challenge stages. But that Reaper at the end of Mad Forest, (and all the other bosses at the post 30 min mark in all the other stages) have simply murdered me.

Also ... the evolved pistols and the evolved pentagram, and the evolved Santa water is chef's kiss.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Sorry, I might have been unclear. I reach the end of the stages fine, beyond the 30min mark (Stage Clear) but then I have to face for example the Red Reaper in Mad Forest.

I'm usually rocking at least 3 - 5 evolved weapons / passives. But no matter how god like I am at that point facing the final reaper boss, the boss basically beelines right on top of me and I'm unable to move. I've cleared all the stages (plus 4x Hypers) and have unlocked the bonus and challenge stages. But that Reaper at the end of Mad Forest, (and all the other bosses at the post 30 min mark in all the other stages) have simply murdered me.

Also ... the evolved pistols and the evolved pentagram, and the evolved Santa water is chef's kiss.
Have you unlocked arcanas yet?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Yes sir. I usually start with 'Waltz of Pearls', and eventually have 'Tragic Princess' and 'Twilight Requiem' equipped during the run.

For reference: https://vampire-survivors.fandom.com/wiki/Arcana

Keep unlocking arcanas. For a direct spoiler, see below.

Get Arcana # VIII and items / accessories needed to best the reaper will teleport to you every 2 mins. Also all item drops. It’s probably the best arcana for where you’re at. The evolved laurel & lancet will be needed for this. You need both the weapons & accessories maxed out to evolve. Be careful not to take too many accessories and save treasure chests for when you can evolve stuff. More will drop than you need, so you really only need to ration after the 20 min mark.

Last edited:
Highest level I got is about 145-150 ish. Enemies scale with your level, so it's not as important as you'd think.
I had the evolved Crown/Pentagram combo that wiped the enemies while making special gems every few seconds that jumped my levels significantly.

Reaper still wiped me in seconds. I'll need to do the freezing clock thing build to see if I can survive long enough to kill him. Waiting for a patch before I jump back
in as it seems I'm not getting unlocks despite meeting the requirements

Also, is there a reason for gold once you've bought every character/mods?

Edit: Just saw a 185mb update for the game on Series X. So maybe they fixed the issues I had. Time to test it

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Highest level I got is about 145-150 ish. Enemies scale with your level, so it's not as important as you'd think.
I had the evolved Crown/Pentagram combo that wiped the enemies while making special gems every few seconds that jumped my levels significantly.

Reaper still wiped me in seconds. I'll need to do the freezing clock thing build to see if I can survive long enough to kill him. Waiting for a patch before I jump back
in as it seems I'm not getting unlocks despite meeting the requirements

Also, is there a reason for gold once you've bought every character/mods?

Edit: Just saw a 185mb update for the game on Series X. So maybe they fixed the issues I had. Time to test it
No. Money becomes worthless once you’ve bought everything, just like in real life.

I didn’t keep track but the screenshot with my highest level is 597.
tNSwCdh.jpg

Last edited:

Roberts

I really need to take a break from it, but I just can't. Addiction too strong. Got most of the Achievements but I will try to get them all.

It is a rare case where the game gets better as you progress:

First hour: Hmm, yeah, it is cool. I understand the appeal.
5th hour: Ohh, new stuff to toy with. Awesome. Gotta play more.
10th hour: Even more new stuff, new levels, new everything. When will this madness stop?!
20th hour: Fuck, this is one of the best games ever.

Soodanim

Gold Member
After the YouTuber thing the other day, I ended up buying this then spending way too much time with it. Such good fun, though.

Last night I got an insane build going where no one could touch me, and I made it to an actual boss, and eventually beat the combined phase but didn't grab what I assume was the instant win item so the grey reaper form took me down

My i5 4690k was absolutely tanking on a hyper mode run of stage one. I had card 1 with evolved guns along with 2 other evos, and I was down to about 5fps for the last few minutes.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
After the YouTuber thing the other day, I ended up buying this then spending way too much time with it. Such good fun, though.

Last night I got an insane build going where no one could touch me, and I made it to an actual boss, and eventually beat the combined phase but didn't grab what I assume was the instant win item so the grey reaper form took me down

My i5 4690k was absolutely tanking on a hyper mode run of stage one. I had card 1 with evolved guns along with 2 other evos, and I was down to about 5fps for the last few minutes.
What YouTube thing?

Soodanim

Gold Member
What YouTube thing?
tl;dr person gets jealous that his game isn't as fun as VS, then gets mad that someone criticised his criticism.

Youtube person Goufy uploads this, criticising VS and calling it predatory

Asmongold tears it apart point by point on one of his streams, which is then uploaded as a clip to YouTube.
(Video now deleted)

Goufy hides all of his uploads after alleged abuse and uploads another video doubling down on the first. Original is gone, but there's a video about it that's up. A very long video that probably isn't worth your time, but I've timestamped a small clip:

Asmon takes down the original video:

Goufy uploads one final video on VS:

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
tl;dr person gets jealous that his game isn't as fun as VS, then gets mad that someone criticised his criticism.

Youtube person Goufy uploads this, criticising VS and calling it predatory

Asmongold tears it apart point by point on one of his streams, which is then uploaded as a clip to YouTube.
(Video now deleted)

Goufy hides all of his uploads after alleged abuse and uploads another video doubling down on the first. Original is gone, but there's a video about it that's up. A very long video that probably isn't worth your time, but I've timestamped a small clip:

Asmon takes down the original video:

Goufy uploads one final video on VS:

I already forgot about that. The guy seems like a dumbass.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I beat Gallo yesterday which was the easiest ending I had. Other times once the 29 min mark hits the game goes into hyperdrive trying to overwhelm you with sheer numbers.

I had I think max out garlic, bible, santa, lightning, 1000 knives. I forget what other items I had. The enemies couldnt get close to me. They must had been 2-3 inches of TV screen away from me getting obliterated. Loved it.

Also, found some secret room which I think I went through a window.

Some of you guys getting crazy levels, what are you doing? I think every time I hit the 30 min mark I dont think I even crossed level 100.

Last edited:

draliko

As a suggestion don't spend time on garlic after the first hours in the game, go for 6 evos, use the grimoire to plan, use skips, rerolls and banish to attain the perfect build, choose wisely the cards, collect as much eggs as you can, enjoy the chaos and unlock everything and everyone, then real madness start

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I beat Gallo yesterday which was the easiest ending I had. Other times once the 29 min mark hits the game goes into hyperdrive trying to overwhelm you with sheer numbers.

I had I think max out garlic, bible, santa, lightning, 1000 knives. I forget what other items I had. The enemies couldnt get close to me. They must had been 2-3 inches of TV screen away from me getting obliterated. Loved it.

Also, found some secret room which I think I went through a window.

Some of you guys getting crazy levels, what are you doing? I think every time I hit the 30 min mark I dont think I even crossed level 100.
Keep unlocking stuff, use arcana when they become available. You'll eventually want to start stacking cursed items and such to increase enemy density. The progression is somewhat exponential though I don't have the exact figures, the ramp up feels incredibly satisfying.

If I min-maxed a build I think I could probably get to level 1,000 or thereabouts.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Keep unlocking stuff, use arcana when they become available. You'll eventually want to start stacking cursed items and such to increase enemy density. The progression is somewhat exponential though I don't have the exact figures, the ramp up feels incredibly satisfying.

If I min-maxed a build I think I could probably get to level 1,000 or thereabouts.
Arcana cards I just unlocked two of them. I'm still new to the game. I think I only played maybe 15 times. I avoided power upping Curse thinking it was just something to do for people wanting a challenge, but didnt think of the monster density increasing gem counts.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Arcana cards I just unlocked two of them. I'm still new to the game. I think I only played maybe 15 times. I avoided power upping Curse thinking it was just something to do for people wanting a challenge, but didnt think of the monster density increasing gem counts.
Curse and such is better for late game. Focus on the arcanas and other unlocks. You can get into the secrets as well, though you might need help with some of them. I haven't unlocked all eh secret myself. I think I am still missing 3.

Last edited:

akimbo009

Gold Member
Went back at it... got a bunch more unlocks, and tried out death. No love there, but the time freezy thing definitely helps with him. I like level 90 or so is my highest - but apparently, upward onward on that account. Think I'll dive into it again tonight (and it's terribly addicting which is great but... boy do I need to plan my night (time sink) into it).

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I think the first time I beat the reaper at the 30 min mark, I had the combo of the evolved laurel and evolved clock lancet.

If you can't beat the mini-bosses to unlock all of these, you won't stand a chance vs the reaper either.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
I think the first time I beat the reaper at the 30 min mark, I had the combo of the evolved laurel and evolved clock lancet.

If you can't beat the mini-bosses to unlock all of these, you won't stand a chance vs the reaper either.
Yeah the two items I always ignore and then complain about why I get owned post 30min mark :)

For the people wanting to get past 30 minutes, especially to unlock the arcanas that you can get for surviving for 31 minutes on each level, just beat the game and it'll ask you if the game was too easy or too hard. If you select that it was too hard, you'll unlock endless mode.

Death doesn't show up on endless mode. And once you get to 31 minutes, you can just quit the level and you'll still unlock the arcanas.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Did a quick run not expecting much and not expecting to survive at the end because of a lack of AoE power ups (bit of an experiement run with projectiles that aren't guns), but I ended up surviving longer than I thought was possible. Whip held its own with the health regen

image.png

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Did a quick run not expecting much and not expecting to survive at the end because of a lack of AoE power ups (bit of an experiement run with projectiles that aren't guns), but I ended up surviving longer than I thought was possible. Whip held its own with the health regen

image.png
Yeah, Garlic is a trap because it's overwhelmingly less effective than the projectile based weapons. Their capacity for damage once evolved will make the AoE on Garlic irrelevant.

T-Cake

I can't work out how to complete the collection. There appears to be a "victory sword" I'm missing but that doesn't appear until you unlock the Queen who wields it. And you can't get her because you can't complete the collection. Am I missing something obvious or have they broke this with version 1.0.115?

Soodanim

Gold Member
Yeah, Garlic is a trap because it's overwhelmingly less effective than the projectile based weapons. Their capacity for damage once evolved will make the AoE on Garlic irrelevant.
That is so true, since dropping it I've only done better.

I had a look at a couple of the Secrets list items, and I did a few obvious ones but some are a bit too open ended for me to want to do trial and error for. "With the most adverse luck possible, run off the edge of the world" or something to that effect. Am I supposed to stack curses, max them out, then somehow find a map edge for a game I thought was unlimited map space while being spammed to fuck by OP enemies? Maybe it's referring to something at the end of that stage and I just haven't seen it yet. Going to the basement took a little less figuring out.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
This game just keeps going. Seems like there’s always something to unlock. I haven’t been this hooked to title since Hades. Funny how they both expertly mastered the rogue type mechanic in different ways. I typically bounce off games of this genre in like 2-3 hours.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
That is so true, since dropping it I've only done better.

I had a look at a couple of the Secrets list items, and I did a few obvious ones but some are a bit too open ended for me to want to do trial and error for. "With the most adverse luck possible, run off the edge of the world" or something to that effect. Am I supposed to stack curses, max them out, then somehow find a map edge for a game I thought was unlimited map space while being spammed to fuck by OP enemies? Maybe it's referring to something at the end of that stage and I just haven't seen it yet. Going to the basement took a little less figuring out.
The stage appear to just loop around but there are sometimes events if you continue on. I forget which item unlocks your ability to see where things are on the map. I did get this secret but I can't remember if I stumbled onto it or was intentionally trying to unlock it.

Top Bottom