• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vampire Survivors |OT| There are some very good reasons to be afraid of the dark

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
DD4TBJv.jpg

Developer: poncle
Publisher: poncle
Release Date: 30 October 2022
Platforms: Steam, Game Pass (PC only)
Price: $4.99

V8v2466.png
SYNOPSIS

Mow down thousands of night creatures and survive until dawn! Vampire Survivors is a gothic horror casual game with rogue-lite elements, where your choices can allow you to quickly snowball against the hundreds of monsters that get thrown at you.

dnC2BxT.gif

Vampire Survivors is a time survival game with minimalistic gameplay and roguelite elements.

FxFyoh0.gif

There's no place where to hide, all you can do is try to survive a cursed night and get as much gold as possible for the next survivor, before Death inevitably puts an end to your struggles.

Starting Tips
  • Take your time to grab gems and items, they won't disappear.
  • Get two or three offensive weapons at first, but focus on leveling them up one at a time.
  • Armor and Luck are good starting power-ups to spend money on.
  • Refund power-ups often, it's free, and try new upgrade paths.

16amI6J.png
CAST

SiNOCK5.png

And more...!

Qj0kDOQ.png
PHOTOS

KoYZKwk.jpg
p61VTHL.jpg
RaTUYpd.jpg
l1C2LPA.jpg
efXq5w3.jpg
e9wwWKF.jpg

dWzml32.png
VIDEOS

TES9NGI.png
SOUNDTRACK

More at YouTube.

sYFYRde.png
CREDITS

Twitter: https://twitter.com/poncle_vampire
Discord: https://discord.gg/vampire-survivors
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/PoncleGames

lUcSrHu.gif

Last edited:

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Every day I check to see if it's been released on Android...wtf is taking so long

I played 20 min to dawn but the game is really poorly balanced and is way too easy

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
If anyone wants a preview of sorts, this game is on PC GamePass. Not sure if the full version will also be, but it’s worth a shot. I liked it.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I have a personal rule of not getting games that are still on early access, but man, you guys are making it a bit too difficult with this one.

Does the game feel complete already even if it isn't? Or is it clear that there's a lot of stuff missing?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I have a personal rule of not getting games that are still on early access, but man, you guys are making it a bit too difficult with this one.

Does the game feel complete already even if it isn't? Or is it clear that there's a lot of stuff missing?
Yes, it feels complete. The dev has been teasing the updates that are coming with 1.0 and none of it feels like it is going to radically change how the game is played.

Regardless 1.0 releases in a few hours so it's all moot. Not sure if the price will increase again with 1.0 or if the $5 price tag stays. Regardless, the game's value, IMO, is much higher.

ssringo

I tend to agree regarding Early Access which is why I passed it up for so long. But as Maiden Voyage said, the full release is today. Might as well grab it in case the price goes up. If the gameplay loop is something you enjoy there's easily dozens of hours of replayability if not more. And that's not counting what today's update adds nor any future updates.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Shit Im still stuck on map 3. No idea how to get to other maps?
Survive past the level boss. If you're struggling you can reimburse your power ups and focus on the more expensive ones without penalty. Duplicator is especially useful, if you haven't already unlocked it.

Dairy Plant is getting nerfed in 1.0 from what I've read.

Scrollhjul

Neo Member
Love it. Should just be pre installed on every Steam Deck.

I notice a bunch of copy cats coming out, tried a couple demos but nothing too great. Anything worth checking out or just stick with this?
Looks like you didn't get an answer. Im not familiar with the copycats, there are some suggestions in the other thread. But what I can recommend is Holocure, the Hololive fangame. Even if you dont care about vtubers (the only thing you will miss is all the injokes) the game screams quality since its made by the sprite artist for River City Girls. It also has the one thing I think VS is missing, a strafe button so you can attack forward when backing.
Sadly since they work on it in their spare time it has less content and updates are slow but you can't argue with the price, which is free from here: https://kay-yu.itch.io/holocure

GymWolf

Love it. Should just be pre installed on every Steam Deck.

I notice a bunch of copy cats coming out, tried a couple demos but nothing too great. Anything worth checking out or just stick with this?
The one with the gun is the less shitty one.

20 minutes till down or something.

chixdiggit

Looks like you didn't get an answer. Im not familiar with the copycats, there are some suggestions in the other thread. But what I can recommend is Holocure, the Hololive fangame. Even if you dont care about vtubers (the only thing you will miss is all the injokes) the game screams quality since its made by the sprite artist for River City Girls. It also has the one thing I think VS is missing, a strafe button so you can attack forward when backing.
Sadly since they work on it in their spare time it has less content and updates are slow but you can't argue with the price, which is free from here: https://kay-yu.itch.io/holocure
Thanks. Will give it a try. Hopefully it goes on Steam/Linux at some point. I really like playing these on the Deck and haven't installed windows on it yet.

The one with the gun is the less shitty one.

20 minutes till down or something.
Will try it out. Nice that these games are so cheap.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Spoiler tagging this for anyone coming in fresh. Just the differences I am seeing on the menus below

Booted and immediately unlocked a new achievement. Going into the Unlocks and I see 140. Two modes seem to be unlock able now. Still 14 secrets. Beastiary at 104. Collection at 129.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Wanted to try it out, ended up playing for 3 hours straight. :goog_relieved:

Have a question tho. Managed to survive 30 minutes in the first stage. Some fucker with a scythe just showed up and killed me. Is that the end of the stage? Or am I supposed to beat him?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Eh fuck work, is there any explanation of the mechanics anywhere? Mainly like do waves just operate on a timer or are there other factors like your level, etc?
Waves are timer based. Mechanics unfold naturally through gameplay. If you want a starting hint, here's what the dev recommends:
  • Get two or three offensive weapons at first, but focus on leveling them up one at a time.
I agree with everything except point 3. Luck is okay but not really helpful early in the game. Focus on getting your weapons to their max level. Experiment with different power-ups. When you can get to the 15+ min mark routinely, you'll start to unlock things.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I've been playing this all afternoon during meetings. Finally free from those.

Gameplay remains addictive as hell. There are new secrets, including a random stage that only appeared once. It gave me two choices and hasn't appeared since. Some funny fuckery when the text & menu went upside down afterward. Now I need to figure out how to trigger it again so I can choose the other option.

I've got 2 achievements left with no clue yet how to unlock. So I am concentrating on the remaining secrets left for the time being.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Waves are timer based. Mechanics unfold naturally through gameplay. If you want a starting hint, here's what the dev recommends:
I agree with everything except point 3. Luck is okay but not really helpful early in the game. Focus on getting your weapons to their max level. Experiment with different power-ups. When you can get to the 15+ min mark routinely, you'll start to unlock things.
The last bullet point is just from the start menu right? You can’t re-spec mid game right?

What I’ve seen is mostly focus on DPS, like by leveling a couple weapons early? I gotta say as a newb the garlic is great for running through the rabble and leveling quickly

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
The last bullet point is just from the start menu right? You can’t re-spec mid game right?

What I’ve seen is mostly focus on DPS, like by leveling a couple weapons early? I gotta say as a newb the garlic is great for running through the rabble and leveling quickly
Start menu yes. You cannot respect mid-game.

DPS is a great way to focus for sure, just be aware the power-ups you pick up will influence the efficacy of the those weapons. Experimentation is key.

Garlic is the best beginner weapon but its scaling is absolute shit late game. Use it until it's no longer effective.

VN1X

Banned
Nice OT!

Still working my way through it but ever since Brotato came out have been opting for that for my "Bullet Heaven" fix. Will definitely get back to VS at some point though. I'm 36 hours in and have still so much shit left to unlock hah.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Excellent OT for an amazing game. I've put nearly 60 hours into it during early access, and can't wait to unlock the new stuff.

Top Bottom