• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[IGN] Vampire Survivors Is a Beautiful $3 Nightmare Taking Over Steam

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
My man!
Would you look at that? Another update just dropped with 2 new achievements!
Rn3R9Hu.png

That last one was pretty tough!

Holammer

Just tried Boneraiser Minions, a new Survivors clone by indie developer Caiysware. It's a clone, but it's not a straight up clone and different enough mechanically to feel fresh. The gameplay is a bit more involved and hectic. With C64/NES'ish style pixel art & color palette with lots of black, cyan and purple + suitably chippy music. It looks and feels like a long lost Atari arcade that wouldn't have looked out of place next to Robotron.

Caiysware games are... "different", but they are all solid games. His Spirit's Abyss shits on Spelunky 2 from great heights and that's a hill I'm willing to die on.

small_law

Teaser trailer for update coming tomorrow. It's low budget, but it feels like something Blizzard or Riot would do to introduce new characters.

It's so refreshing to see a developer not be deadly serious about their game. I love the level of self-awareness. The game itself is tongue in cheek, but not overly so. The devs hit a balance that AAA developers don't ever seem to achieve.

drotahorror

Just tried Boneraiser Minions, a new Survivors clone by indie developer Caiysware. It's a clone, but it's not a straight up clone and different enough mechanically to feel fresh. The gameplay is a bit more involved and hectic. With C64/NES'ish style pixel art & color palette with lots of black, cyan and purple + suitably chippy music. It looks and feels like a long lost Atari arcade that wouldn't have looked out of place next to Robotron.

Caiysware games are... "different", but they are all solid games. His Spirit's Abyss shits on Spelunky 2 from great heights and that's a hill I'm willing to die on.

Just grabbed that and Vampire Survivors. Time to see what the hype's about. Love Caiysware's artstyle, always have.

Last edited:

Holammer

Just grabbed that and Vampire Survivors. Time to see what the hype's about. Love Caiysware's artstyle, always have.
Played it a bunch today, it is very "involved" as I mentioned before. With a dash, activated abilities and boneraising selection, it's not as chill and podcast friendly as Vampire Survivors.

Holammer

Sunsoft is working on a Survivors clone, modeled after a 1985 arcade game called Ikki. There's a beta sign up on Steam right now.
Its contribution to the genre is multiplayer.

Great recommendation. I love the gameplay and aesthetics of this game. It was one of those hidden indie gems of which I played the demo a lot. Trying my best to land a high score in the dailies in the current release.
I think endless skirmish could use some tuning though, which I've expressed on the Steam forum. The dev seems like a really passionate and down to earth guy who's open to suggestions & feedback:

IUQtQVA.jpg

Without wanting to stray too far from Vampire Survivors, I'd recommend checking out the Deadzoned demo by the same dev. It's a bite-sized, yet deep, sci-fi roguelike.

Last edited:

drotahorror

Played it a bunch today, it is very "involved" as I mentioned before. With a dash, activated abilities and boneraising selection, it's not as chill and podcast friendly as Vampire Survivors.
h8lfW7Q.jpg

Give or take 30 or so minutes. I think I'm pretty hooked! Thanks for the recommendation. Some of the gameplay elements are a bit confusing to me but I'm sure I'll figure it out.

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
I've dropped over 100hrs into this, its great fun, I usually drop it for a couple weeks after getting all the achievements then return when a new patch comes out.
The new character is similar in strength to having 1500 eggs, she's also much easier to start a game with as getting 5 arcanas super early is very beneficial; I used her to farm gold until I got enough eggs in trouser, the best I could get on her was 2.6mil gold for a 30min run.

drotahorror

Just wasted a good bit of time 132/132 VS
BgXz6pp.jpg

Anyone have any other recommendations for these types of games?

So far I have a couple I might check it out :

Would love one that had some crazy blood effects and gibs.

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Game is pretty fun, gotta say. Not sure how long it will stay interesting, but for 30 minutes I enjoyed myself. Worth checking out on GamePass, for sure.

drotahorror

This one is looking like it's going to be really good and much better production values. Free demo available right now with Steam Next Fest

bender

What time is it?
This one is looking like it's going to be really good and much better production values. Free demo available right now with Steam Next Fest

Been playing the demo all day. It really makes the deck chug once you get into the later minutes of any arena. I'm not a fan of the art style, it reminds me a lot of Torchlight but somehow "cheaper". I do like that some of the attack are more interactive and the ability to dodge is nice. I also like that once you fill up your attack ability bar, different abilities can drop and you can replace what you already have equipped. I also really like having rarities on the abilities that you earn every level up. All and all, it is a lot of fun but the demo might be too meaty and let me skip the full release. I guess it depends on the price and if they can get an optimized setting for deck.

drotahorror

Been playing the demo all day. It really makes the deck chug once you get into the later minutes of any arena. I'm not a fan of the art style, it reminds me a lot of Torchlight but somehow "cheaper". I do like that some of the attack are more interactive and the ability to dodge is nice. I also like that once you fill up your attack ability bar, different abilities can drop and you can replace what you already have equipped. I also really like having rarities on the abilities that you earn every level up. All and all, it is a lot of fun but the demo might be too meaty and let me skip the full release. I guess it depends on the price and if they can get an optimized setting for deck.

It's pretty meaty that's for sure. Hopefully Runes are difficulty modifiers or something as I found the demo pretty easy. I've only played the default character but beat the 3 stages pretty easily. I pretty much just made myself quit so I can wait for the full release.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
The more I play Vampire Survivors the better I get at it and it's amazing, right now my average survival time is around 10 minutes
Oh dude, just wait. If you get to the end game, it gets fucking ridiculous in the best way possible.

I am craving an update for the game so I can spend more time with it. Absolute beast of a game at $3. Just need to wait until Oct 20 for the full release.

Hell, I should make an OT for it.

Top Bottom