• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer Has Spent Nearly 200 Hours Playing Vampire Survivors in just two weeks.

It seems that Spencer is so engaged in the game that he spends almost all of his free time playing it – he already has spent almost 200 hours in Vampire Survivors. According to Spencer's Xbox Live profile on TrueAchievements, the head of Xbox started playing Vampire Survivors on November 11, and at the moment, he spent nearly 193 hours in the game.

During this time, Spencer completed 96 achievements out of 142. This indicates that Spencer is really playing Vampire Survivors, and the 193 hours reflected on the tracking website are not a bug.

People have been wondering what's going on with studio mismanagement, 343i etc, and who's looking after Matt Booty, making sure things are running smooth, game delays and such.

But it all makes sense now, Phil has been spending on average near 100 hours a week for two weeks playing Indie game Vampire Survivor. how many other games before did he play instead of using those hours to make sure gamers received on-time hit titles.

To be fair though, I don't play Indie games but maybe it's a decent game. But when you're a boss of a game company, where you get to have hands on with games anyway, and you are the "Microsoft gaming CEO" with a family as well, it makes me wonder how he finds 200 hours in 2 weeks to play the game. Probably still playing it as we speak,

Hopefully it doesn't cause further delays for Redfall and Starfield. He may be addicted and might need an intervention.

However, this does confirm he is a gamer. Not a AAA gamer but still an indie gamer at least.

Last edited:

Ezekiel_

Banned
Animated GIF

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Could be this children or significant other playing on his account???

When I first saw it I was like wtf is this shit?! Then I played it… and fell in love. Feels like an old school NES game with some modern twists. Surprisingly fun. Don’t knock it till you try it.

If he's playing it 14 hours a day, Vampire Survivors better be his children on significant other.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Alright Phil, challenge. Play just the exclusive titles and while playing think about how much more Xbox brand could be with more games.

Like sure, I can play Flight Sim non-stop, but that's just me.

More games, ffs.

Rykan

"MS continues its attempts to convince regulators to allow the acquisitions of Activision Blizzard, insisting that this will not lead to a monopoly and that the acquisition is necessary to stay competitive. One spokesperson said: "The situation of Xbox is so dire that the head of Xbox is currently spending all of his free time playing a 3$ indie game"
ITT people are in denial that a game that cost $1100 to make and costs $4 is GOTY.
There is no way that this game is GOTY. How can it be when it doesn't even have Cinematic walking around sections!?

Last edited:
A lot of presumptuous people here...

Any busy CEO won't have the luxury of devoting so much time into a game... Unless, someone else is playing from his account, or...he's on holiday/vacation (as is customary during this time of year), and is taking this time to unwind and spend time with his family. Who know?

But, I guess he can't win, huh? People have called Phil a "suit" and "PR guy" in every corner of the gaming space, despite the well-known fact that Phil is an actual, real gamer who absolutely enjoys video games. It's not even a question at this point. I'm personally happy that a real gamer is running the video game division of a company - maybe that's exactly the reason why back-compat for all Xbox generations became a thing, or why he lay his neck on the line to push Game Pass, knowing true gamers would flock to it and that it would grow steadily... Maybe, that's why we're getting so many studio acquisitions to bolster development without huge risks and a years-longer drought in games (yes, I know it's taking a while, but it would take even longer if they had to try to build some real triple-A titles from scratch). Maybe, that's why so many gamers resonate with him, or his words, despite the naysayers?

I'm not saying all of his decisions were made strictly because he's a gamer, and no other factors mattered. But, surely, him being an avid gamer would influence many of his decisions, big or small? The turn-around Xbox made after he took over from the debacle that was the Xbox One release is in-part, I believe, to Phil being a gamer.

But, like most things Phil Spencer related on gaf, it's a lose-lose for him. If he talks business, it's "Well, yeah...typical suit." If he talks what's-best-for-gamers, it's "PR talk. Don't trust him", if he spends all his free time playing games it's "No wonder Xbox is so much trash... This guy plays more games than makes them." Good ol' Uncle Phil, the Loser 🙄

Last edited:

Barakov

Gold Member

People have been wondering what's going on with studio mismanagement, 343i etc, and who's looking after Matt Booty, making sure things are running smooth, game delays and such.

But it all makes sense now, Phil has been spending on average near 100 hours a week for two weeks playing Indie game Vampire Survivor. how many other games before did he play instead of using those hours to make sure gamers received on-time hit titles.

To be fair though, I don't play Indie games but maybe it's a decent game. But when you're a boss of a game company, where you get to have hands on with games anyway, and you are the "Microsoft gaming CEO" with a family as well, it makes me wonder how he finds 200 hours in 2 weeks to play the game. Probably still playing it as we speak,

Hopefully it doesn't cause further delays for Redfall and Starfield. He may be addicted and might need an intervention.

However, this does confirm he is a gamer. Not a AAA gamer but still an indie gamer at least.
Good to see the interns putting in some work.

Theres no way 100 hours a week must be left on idle or testing purposes. Not even a teenager with nothing to do will play that much.
I beg to differ.
If you don't have to work or go to school using 16 hours a day to play you can actually get 112 hours in a week.

This sounds like something I could have achieved in my childhood with Ultima Online. My classmates and I played together on a freeshard. During winter holidays this could've been easily possible :D

MadPanda

Banned
Relax guys, he's not sitting home and playing it. He probably spends most of his time traveling so he plays it on xcloud.

Kagey K

Banned
Xbox has a bad habit of running gametine non stop if you don't go to home before shutting if off. I ran and extra day of playtime on Dragon Quest doing this. It holds it right there paused for the duration your Xbox is off.

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
A lot of presumptuous people here...

Any busy CEO won't have the luxury of devoting so much time into a game... Unless, someone else is playing from his account, or...he's on holiday/vacation (as is customary during this time of year), and is taking this time to unwind and spend time with his family. Who know?

But, I guess he can't win, huh? People have called Phil a "suit" and "PR guy" in every corner of the gaming space, despite the well-known fact that Phil is an actual, real gamer who absolutely enjoys video games. It's not even a question at this point. I'm personally happy that a real gamer is running the video game division of a company - maybe that's exactly the reason why back-compat for all Xbox generations became a thing, or why he lay his neck on the line to push Game Pass, knowing true gamers would flock to it and that it would grow steadily... Maybe, that's why we're getting so many studio acquisitions to bolster development without huge risks and a years-longer drought in games (yes, I know it's taking a while, but it would take even longer if they had to try to build some real triple-A titles from scratch). Maybe, that's why so many gamers resonate with him, or his words, despite the naysayers?

I'm not saying all of his decisions were made strictly because he's a gamer, and no other factors mattered. But, surely, him being an avid gamer would influence many of his decisions, big or small? The turn-around Xbox made after he took over from the debacle that was the Xbox One release is in-part, I believe, to Phil being a gamer.

But, like most things Phil Spencer related on gaf, it's a lose-lose for him. If he talks business, it's "Well, yeah...typical suit." If he talks what's-best-for-gamers, it's "PR talk. Don't trust him", if he spends all his free time playing games it's "No wonder Xbox is so much trash... This guy plays more games than makes them." Good ol' Uncle Phil, the Loser 🙄

interview oc GIF

Top Bottom