• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UPDATE: Fixed my PS4 Pro Fan Noise!!

tagliner

Neo Member
For the jet engine noise problem I unassembled my about 4 years old PS4 Pro for proper cleaning. Then I just re-molded the old thermal paste with a knife blade, reassembled the machine without the front lid leaving the fan exposed.
My PS4 Pro has been literally whisper quiet for about two months now.

p.s. No Man's Sky was the game that used to ignite the console back then. Not anymore.

jaysius

Banned
For the jet engine noise problem I unassembled my about 4 years old PS4 Pro for proper cleaning. Then I just re-molded the old thermal paste with a knife blade, reassembled the machine without the front lid leaving the fan exposed.

p.s. No Man's Sky was the game that used to ignite the console back then. Not anymore.

2 months isn't very long, I'll be interested to hear how long this fix works.

I repasted mine with liquid metal... this was around when God of War came out. It stays at the lowest fan setting almost all of the time. Only time it gets louder is when the ambient temp is high, then the fans spins up to the second level which is a little bit louder than my cable box.

GymWolf

Is there any maintainance for people who don't wanna open their console?

I don't know like blowing air in some particular areas of the console...

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!

EUNuudNXkAIbvBs.jpg

JimboJones

If you want to do the bare minimum and remove build up of dust it's still probably better to open it up to give it a good clean out
But if you really don't want to do that I guess compressed air in one slot and a hoover near the exhaust is all I can think of doing, it will get rid of some dust but the heat sink might still be caked in harder to remove dust.

Max_Po

Banned

did you turn on the PS4 Pro or play No Man's Sky after that procedure?

Grinchy

Banned
I repasted mine with liquid metal... this was around when God of War came out. It stays at the lowest fan setting almost all of the time. Only time it gets louder is when the ambient temp is high, then the fans spins up to the second level which is a little bit louder than my cable box.

I've always wanted to do this just as a fun project, but my Pro is just as quiet as my near-silent launch OG unit. I've been lucky. I guess I also got this Pro after the 7200 line started coming out where it just lets the system get hotter to stay more quiet lol

V2Tommy

CUH-7200 is pretty quiet. Everyone complaining could've sold/traded in for that ages ago and felt some peace.

I don't think leaving the lid open is a good idea. It might mess up the thermal dynamic the Sony engineers designed the PS4 (with the lid on).

Helscream

Banned

Depends on what each person does when they dissemble their PS4 Pro and apply some fresh thermal place. When I did my " fix", I replaced the thermal pads, completely dust busted each part of the PS4 Pro, and thoroughly cleaned and applied a generous amount of thermal paste evenly. My PS4 Pro has been 50% to 80% less noisy depending on the game. And I did my fix about 4 months ago. Keep in mind though the first week or two after you apply a fresh layer of thermal paste the PS4 Pro will be extremely quite. After that it will return back to its "normal" level of fan noise.

It amazes me how all these console manufacturer's always cheap out on thermal paste. I know none of it lasts forever, but come on.

What I could observe during my disassembly is it appeared that during the manufacturing process the appropriate amount of thermal paste was applied, but most of it was squeezed out to the sides and was on the motherboard instead of the GPU. I think what happens the plate that covers the GPU as well as the aluminum casing around the motherboard perhaps is pressed together with too much force. So all that thermal paste just gets squeezed out to the sides with very little being on the actual GPU and most of it being on the outside.

I could be wrong, but I'm not sure how else to explain what I saw.

Compressed Air is really the best thing I can suggest for lazy people. You don't want it to crazy high, but you want enough pressure to feel like a strong gust. Then slowly go over every opening around the PS4. It will help, but there is some dust that can get caught up in places where no amount of compressed air will get rid of. So you will eventually have to take apart you PS4 if you really want to get rid of all the dust build up. I've been using a Air Compressor to dust bust my Playstation devices for over a decade now and I never had any issues.

Last edited:

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I really do need to give my PS4 some attention. It sounds like it's trying to take off.

I've always wanted to do this just as a fun project, but my Pro is just as quiet as my near-silent launch OG unit. I've been lucky. I guess I also got this Pro after the 7200 line started coming out where it just lets the system get hotter to stay more quiet lol

You're definitely lucky. When I took off the HSF on my pro it looked like whoever applied was wearing a blindfold lol.

• LOL
Reactions: Isa
What I could observe during my disassembly is it appeared that during the manufacturing process the appropriate amount of thermal paste was applied, but most of it was squeezed out to the sides and was on the motherboard instead of the GPU. I think what happens the plate that covers the GPU as well as the aluminum casing around the motherboard perhaps is pressed together with too much force. So all that thermal paste just gets squeezed out to the sides with very little being on the actual GPU and most of it being on the outside.

I could be wrong, but I'm not sure how else to explain what I saw.

The correct amount of thermal paste should be just an extremely thin amount covering the entire die of the CPU/GPU/APU which will then make contact with the heatsink. The only purpose of thermal compound is to eliminate irregularities between the die surface and the heatsink. Any air gap between the die and the heatsink will essentially act as a thermal insulator as air is a horrible conductor of heat. Thermal compound is to ensure there is no air gap. So when you say the thermal paste was squeezed out from on top of the APU, that is fine, it's supposed to. Manufacturers put extra on so that they guarantee the whole APU is covered with thermal paste; extra thermal paste is MUCH better than too little. However, when applying thermal paste you are trying to put the smallest amount while ensuring the entire die is covered.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
I don't think leaving the lid open is a good idea. It might mess up the thermal dynamic the Sony engineers designed the PS4 (with the lid on).

I've tried it myself, didn't change anything. Granted, did it for less than an hour, but it reacted exactly the same as with the lid on.

Business

I changed the thermal paste on mine because I had some from a PC build. I didn't change the pads because I was too cheap to buy new ones and thought the thermal paste alone may improve things. Still sounds like a jet engine.

Droxcy

Might do mine this weekend since my lady will be playing Last Of Us II and I’m tired of having a jet engine in the living room lmao

Helscream

Banned
The correct amount of thermal paste should be just an extremely thin amount covering the entire die of the CPU/GPU/APU which will then make contact with the heatsink. The only purpose of thermal compound is to eliminate irregularities between the die surface and the heatsink. Any air gap between the die and the heatsink will essentially act as a thermal insulator as air is a horrible conductor of heat. Thermal compound is to ensure there is no air gap. So when you say the thermal paste was squeezed out from on top of the APU, that is fine, it's supposed to. Manufacturers put extra on so that they guarantee the whole APU is covered with thermal paste; extra thermal paste is MUCH better than too little. However, when applying thermal paste you are trying to put the smallest amount while ensuring the entire die is covered.

Makes sense. There seems to be little on the GPU and it was all dried up. I don't know if that reflects the quality of the thermal paste used, or it is simply an inevitable outcome of using thermal paste. I made sure to put a generous amount of Arctic Silver on mine, just to make damn sure it will last till the PS5 is available.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Yup! I fucking did it!

Changed the thermal paste to an Arctic Silver Ceramique, replaced all the thermal pads (both those in VRAM as well as those in the semi-conductors), closed the hole I've drilled with a coaster (painted it black and put pitch black scotch tape which is 100% same color with the Pro) and now the PS4 Pro's fan noise has been reduced by 60%. It becomes noticeable when playing God of War and the volume is low, but it never becomes irritating and / or worrying.

Fuck me, my Pro may even be able to handle TLoU2 without boiling itself into a puddle of liquid metal.

I'm going to go with some friends on an escape room, have some drinks and if I'm sober enough, play FFXV and Doom before going to bed.

YES!
Man, I completely disassembled my PS4 Pro, replaced the thermal compound, replaced the Delta fan with the (supposedly) more quiet Nidec fan and it still sounds like a jet engine.

It is so loud its making me worried. Whenevr TLoU2 starts, the sounds increase and stays at that volume for the entire playthrough.

Gamerguy84

Thanks to this thread, I was inspired to see if I could solve my (bought day 1) PS4 Pro fan problems.

Fans would spin up very loud, and I had to wear a headphones to enjoy games. I don't like wearing headphones.

I have taken apart the PS4 Pro before, and cleaned out the minimal dust that was present, and it made very little difference.

I had some Artic Silver 5 paste lying around, so I thought I would apply that. I notice the paste that Sony applies was a large amount, applied down the center, and large globs hanging over two sides. Looked like toothpaste, which is weird.

I applied Artic Silver 5 all over the chip surface, and just a moderate amount.

There was also some dust buildup on one side the heatsink, which I cleaned out.

I did this in early June, and it has made a marked difference.

Now I can play Battlefront II co-op and enjoy it with out wearing a headset. I can still hear the fans, but they are not bothersome, and the game sound largely drowns it out, where before it did not.

STRESS TEST: GOD OF WAR: I was amazed the fans did not kick into overdrive, which sounds like a jet taking off, and the game was enjoyable to play without headphones!

Very happy, and pleasantly surprised with the outcome, cause my expectations where not that high going in.

Strongly recommend anyone with high fan noise problems to replace the thermal paste, as I believe Sony's automated application in the factory is poorly applied, and probably very cheap quality.

I did not apply new thermal pads to the memory/VRMS's as there are thermal pads there, and I assume they are sufficient. Might next time consider replacing them. They are very small, but not sure if the size of the thermal pad makes much of a difference.

Thats cool glad you solved your problem. I dont think Ill have to do mine since next gen is around the corner.

I have a launch PRO and a 500 mill spec edition. Im only trading in the launch and keeping spec ed one. My fans only really become audible when a game is paused and in menu for a minute.

I love wearing headphones, especially gaming at night while fam sleeps.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Thanks to this thread, I was inspired to see if I could solve my (bought day 1) PS4 Pro fan problems.

Fans would spin up very loud, and I had to wear a headphones to enjoy games. I don't like wearing headphones.

I have taken apart the PS4 Pro before, and cleaned out the minimal dust that was present, and it made very little difference.

I had some Artic Silver 5 paste lying around, so I thought I would apply that. I notice the paste that Sony applies was a large amount, applied down the center, and large globs hanging over two sides. Looked like toothpaste, which is weird.

I applied Artic Silver 5 all over the chip surface, and just a moderate amount.

There was also some dust buildup on one side the heatsink, which I cleaned out.

I did this in early June, and it has made a marked difference.

Now I can play Battlefront II co-op and enjoy it with out wearing a headset. I can still hear the fans, but they are not bothersome, and the game sound largely drowns it out, where before it did not.

STRESS TEST: GOD OF WAR: I was amazed the fans did not kick into overdrive, which sounds like a jet taking off, and the game was enjoyable to play without headphones!

Very happy, and pleasantly surprised with the outcome, cause my expectations where not that high going in.

Strongly recommend anyone with high fan noise problems to replace the thermal paste, as I believe Sony's automated application in the factory is poorly applied, and probably very cheap quality.

I did not apply new thermal pads to the memory/VRMS's as there are thermal pads there, and I assume they are sufficient. Might next time consider replacing them. They are very small, but not sure if the size of the thermal pad makes much of a difference.

Thanks again for inspiring to do something about it.
No such luck for me. Last month I replaced the fan and thermal paste and it is still as loud as a jet engine. I used Corsair brand.

Tranquil

Is there a version of the PS4 pro that is whisper quite? I bought mine when it first came out and it sits about 2 feet from me and I can barely hear it unless I turn my volume down to low and try and listen for it.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I have a larger room that I use to play games in. I sit probably 10 feet away from my the av racks and I have never heard my PS4 (or Pro) for that matter. Mine sits on a bottom glass shelf (three levels) I have a PC next to it, a few switches, a nvidia shield and a Onex. Outside of POST sounds, or putting in an occasional disc, I cannot hear any of these. units.

Are the folks here sitting much closer to your consoles?

*EDIT
I also use 7.1 audio so maybe that is a reason? Even when I play late at night and use headphones or ear buds (yeah...not ideal) I still don't hear them.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Man, I completely disassembled my PS4 Pro, replaced the thermal compound, replaced the Delta fan with the (supposedly) more quiet Nidec fan and it still sounds like a jet engine.

It is so loud its making me worried. Whenevr TLoU2 starts, the sounds increase and stays at that volume for the entire playthrough.
Did you change the thermal pads as well?

You must change the thermal pads as well.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I just use Arctis 7 headphones. Pretty decent noise cancelling and just turn up the volume.

No way I can take this thing apart without breaking something.

Trimesh

Banned
Is there a version of the PS4 pro that is whisper quite? I bought mine when it first came out and it sits about 2 feet from me and I can barely hear it unless I turn my volume down to low and try and listen for it.

The most recent version (CUH-7200) seems pretty good, at least in my case - but you won't have that one if you got it at launch.

OutRun88

Whisper quiet? Not that I know of. You won't hear it over the game audio though.

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:

Neff

CUH-7200 is the best one, when I bought it last year the most graphic-intensive games would simply make it hum slightly, like you'd have to put your ear to the console to hear it, and with less intensive games/apps/blu rays it was completely silent. Only took a year for it to get loud though. I re-did the thermal paste and it's quiet again.

Patrick S.

Banned
I did my Pro with Arctic Silver MX4 a week ago, and reseated the thermal pads so that the round impressions the metal plate leaves in the pads were in a slightly different position, renewing their efficiency a bit without waiting for new pads. Cleaned them with alcohol, too.

Blew out the cooling fins with my compressor, too. There wasn't much in them, though.

The console is even quieter than my Xbox One X now, meaning I can enjoy it without headphones again, after it had sat for months without use due to the awful noise.

93xfan

Banned
I fixed mine too, but a little differently.

Unplugged it to stop the noise. Then took it to gamestop for a trade in (blu-ray issues as well)

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
I also replaced the thermal paste some months ago, and noticed quite the different.
However, I now know that I should have used liquid metal instead, as this is will yield even better results.

Lupin3

Have you tried No Man's Sky?

I got the PRO right around when it first launched :messenger_sad_relieved: and it annoyed me to no end with its fan noise (mine makes more than the planes at the airport, I'm not sure about military grade planes tho)... I just replaced the thermal paste on the CPU and started TLoU 2, I could not ear a thing!

Lupin3

No, I've heard that can make it scream.

Still have yet to have a game where I can hear it above my speakers, I don't game with the volume cranked or anything.

There's more than a few games that make my Pro go full Rambo. No man's Sky and Wolfenstein are two of them. Sometimes it even starts to whine in XMB. Not as bad as in the games, but still. You're a lucky person!

Nickolaidas

On a more serious note, my Pro also went into Jet engine mode for the past few weeks. After playing an AAA game for 5 minutes, no less. I opened the top lid and blew a little dust that had gathered at the fan's metallic wings with an air spray. I also kept the lid off - didn't put it back in place.

My Pro is whisper quiet now. Been playing MK11 for half an hour and I've barely heard the fan.

Same. Played through TLoU2 in 6 hour sessions, and heard it spin up once for like 5 minutes. Just got lucky I guess.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
On a more serious note, my Pro also went into Jet engine mode for the past few weeks. After playing an AAA game for 5 minutes, no less. I opened the top lid and blew a little dust that had gathered at the fan's metallic wings with an air spray. I also kept the lid off - didn't put it back in place.

My Pro is whisper quiet now. Been playing MK11 for half an hour and I've barely heard the fan.
I've been meaning to research if removing the top cover would quiet it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom