• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UPDATE: Fixed my PS4 Pro Fan Noise!!

Nickolaidas

Banned
Yup! I fucking did it!

Changed the thermal paste to an Arctic Silver Ceramique, replaced all the thermal pads (both those in VRAM as well as those in the semi-conductors), closed the hole I've drilled with a coaster (painted it black and put pitch black scotch tape which is 100% same color with the Pro) and now the PS4 Pro's fan noise has been reduced by 60%. It becomes noticeable when playing God of War and the volume is low, but it never becomes irritating and / or worrying.

Fuck me, my Pro may even be able to handle TLoU2 without boiling itself into a puddle of liquid metal.

I'm going to go with some friends on an escape room, have some drinks and if I'm sober enough, play FFXV and Doom before going to bed.

YES!

Nickolaidas

Banned
pcsRucV.jpg

There it is. The patient has recovered spendidly.

xool

Would you believe me if I told you I've been trying to upload a picture for five minutes and the fucking uploader keeps telling me 'upload failed'?

Randomly refuses - no idea why- open in an image program and try re-saving as a different file type, or just do a tiny crop and resave - usually fixes it. I think it's a meta-data it doesn't like problem .. not file size ..

I was thinking about doing this to my PS4, but my OG Xbox that I had since I was a kid recently broke shortly after I opened it up. The thing Microsoft used to track the time eventually starts to leak and damage the board so I opened it up and took it out. The system worked fine after, but randomly broke like a month later. Now I don't want to open any of my consoles again.

Isa

Gold Member
That is pretty cool, heh, and I applaud you for taking action with good results. I'd taken mine apart like some youtube vids say to clean it, and it didn't work at all. Well, it did for all of 5 minutes. I'm just going to end up buying one of the newer models though.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Would you believe me if I told you I've been trying to upload a picture for five minutes and the fucking uploader keeps telling me 'upload failed'?
Just upload them to imgur yourself and then post em here.
Large files and some .png's don't upload

Looks good. My fan gets loud, but I use headphones, so I dont notice it. Be cool (no pun intended) to replace the thermal paste though. Thanks for post and pics.

PocoJoe

Banned
Making that hole were probably biggest failure. While it feels like it helps to make more airflow, it just fucks up the internal airflows and makes things hotter and maybe some things cooler = worse than before.

But good thing that it is better now.

Reactions: GHG
Top Bottom