• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: PS4 Pro

After selling my first gen Nintendo Switch (someone really wanted it and I barely touched the thing so it was a no brainer) I decided to pick up a used PS4 Pro. Through Reddit I found a guy here in China selling a german one with some digital games, Ghost Of Tsushima, The Last Of Us Part 2, Spider Man Miles Morales and God of War (this one is physical). Since the price was relatively cheap I decided to go for it. I was praying that the model was not one of those jet engine ones... but it is, and sincerely doesn't bother me that much.

Bear in mind I already had a PS4 before coming to China but I really wanted to play Tlou Part 2 and Ghost of Tsushima. The moment I got it I felt like a kid, super excited I finally got something to play on my free time and I was super happy that it brought some really quality games. I still tried to get a PS5 but it's too expensive and I think the PS4 Pro will still last me for another 2 years as I still have lots of games I still want to play on it.

I was hoping Sony would do some UI changes since I had my og PS4 but nothing changed there. Still, a pleasant experience that is fast and easy to use.

The controller is good. I remember the first time I got my first Xbox how much I loved the asymmetrical sticks and always though that the Playstation ones were shit. But for some reason the symmetrical ones on the PS4 are very pleasant to use and the controller itself is pretty fucking awesome. It's implementation on GoT, despite not being game changing, really gives a nice touch to it.

Now.... the games. Oh man, the games. I only finished Tlou Part 2 and I'm currently playing Ghost of Tsushima. But I have to say, Tlou Part 2 is a fucking fantastic game. The way the story unfolds, playing with both characters, seeing their revenge journey from opposite sides... what a fucking ride. I still think that the first game is better, but saying that Tlou Part 2 is a bad game or is shit just because people didn't like how the story unfolded is doing this game a disservice. Amazing gunplay, scenery, level design, holy fuck that it's just amazing. A 9/10 for me, and I don't give it a 10 because the friendly AI is still pretty bad and no Factions on this iteration (where the hell is it??). Still, even though Joel was my favorite character, his death is, despite gruesome and making me feel pretty sad about it, justifiable. This game really makes you think about it a lot. Is revenge really worth it? Especially when it makes you lose everything and everyone you love?

Ghost of Tsushima. I admit that the introduction was pretty fucking cool. Being a samurai blazing through mongol hordes is really nice. But after that introduction I could see that this was no Naughty Dog game. I just came from Tlou Part 2 with its amazing animations and dialog and even the damn lip syncing was top notch. Here I saw some jank that kinda threw me off in the first hour of the game. But I told myself to keep trying, the game might surprise me. And oh boooooooy, I decided to take out my ND love from the previous game out of the scene and just accepted this was an open world game made by another studio. I never liked Sucker Punch games, Infamous and Sly Cooper garbage to me. But after what I've played in this game, they're on the top next to ND and GG. The world is fucking fantastic, the combat is amazing and it's a game that lets me do things at my own pace. I'm still in the beginning but I'm loving it. I'm going to take some time to go through this game, because it's a beauty. I'm constantly using photo mode, even my gf said the game looks amazing. My favorite open world is BOTW, but this game might take the crown if it keeps going like this.

God Of War will be next. And there's many other games I want to try, including Persona 5, Bloodborne, and I want to try Horizon again (my first experience with the game was horrible but I'm willing to try it again). To be honest i have no interest in Spider Man, I'm not a big fan of super heroes and Insomniac games. I loved Resistance but Sony canned the franchise and it still hurts.

So yeah, even though the PS5 is already out, the PS4 Pro is still an amazing machine in 2021 and I glad I got one. Just sharing some thoughts.

Tschumi

really glad to hear ur positive thoughts, i came to ps4 pro pretty late too (can't remember the exact timing but i'd say about 1 year ago now) and i've found the games to be great... the last guardian was really special because i played it with my wife watching and she really got into it

i'm currently away from my ps4 pro but i wouldn't dream of selling it, one day i'll come back to it and get more joy out of it

really glad to hear ur positive thoughts, i came to ps4 pro pretty late too (can't remember the exact timing but i'd say about 1 year ago now) and i've found the games to be great... the last guardian was really special because i played it with my wife watching and she really got into it

i'm currently away from my ps4 pro but i wouldn't dream of selling it, one day i'll come back to it and get more joy out of it
Still many games I want to play. This machine will be my gaming platform for a while.

I'm also looking into getting some Final Fantasy games. I'm not the biggest JRPG player but I don't mind trying some (last one was Xenoblade but it was kinda meh to me).

Tschumi

Still many games I want to play. This machine will be my gaming platform for a while.

I'm also looking into getting some Final Fantasy games. I'm not the biggest JRPG player but I don't mind trying some (last one was Xenoblade but it was kinda meh to me).
I only ever got into ff12: the zodiac age.. tried the others lol just didn't manage it.. but even ff12 you have to just accept that you're playing a really cool PS2 game, so there are some gameplay quirks that are hard to swallow..

... Oh ff7R is great fun, but i didn't like how much tifa et al looked like hentai characters lol, my wife would give me so much shit if she saw it

Gamerguy84

I have two PS5 hooked up and still use it. It's a great machine. The 4KCB looks great and I use the media apps as well.

I even use remote play since everything is hardwired. My fans only ramp up sitting on menu so that's really the only time I hear them but you can make that quieter with new thermal pads, paste, and fan.

It's a great console still.

bender

What time is it?
After selling my first gen Nintendo Switch (someone really wanted it and I barely touched the thing so it was a no brainer)
SmoggyChiefJay-max-1mb.gif

Fahdis

After selling my first gen Nintendo Switch (someone really wanted it and I barely touched the thing so it was a no brainer) I decided to pick up a used PS4 Pro. Through Reddit I found a guy here in China selling a german one with some digital games, Ghost Of Tsushima, The Last Of Us Part 2, Spider Man Miles Morales and God of War (this one is physical). Since the price was relatively cheap I decided to go for it. I was praying that the model was not one of those jet engine ones... but it is, and sincerely doesn't bother me that much.

Bear in mind I already had a PS4 before coming to China but I really wanted to play Tlou Part 2 and Ghost of Tsushima. The moment I got it I felt like a kid, super excited I finally got something to play on my free time and I was super happy that it brought some really quality games. I still tried to get a PS5 but it's too expensive and I think the PS4 Pro will still last me for another 2 years as I still have lots of games I still want to play on it.

I was hoping Sony would do some UI changes since I had my og PS4 but nothing changed there. Still, a pleasant experience that is fast and easy to use.

The controller is good. I remember the first time I got my first Xbox how much I loved the asymmetrical sticks and always though that the Playstation ones were shit. But for some reason the symmetrical ones on the PS4 are very pleasant to use and the controller itself is pretty fucking awesome. It's implementation on GoT, despite not being game changing, really gives a nice touch to it.

Now.... the games. Oh man, the games. I only finished Tlou Part 2 and I'm currently playing Ghost of Tsushima. But I have to say, Tlou Part 2 is a fucking fantastic game. The way the story unfolds, playing with both characters, seeing their revenge journey from opposite sides... what a fucking ride. I still think that the first game is better, but saying that Tlou Part 2 is a bad game or is shit just because people didn't like how the story unfolded is doing this game a disservice. Amazing gunplay, scenery, level design, holy fuck that it's just amazing. A 9/10 for me, and I don't give it a 10 because the friendly AI is still pretty bad and no Factions on this iteration (where the hell is it??). Still, even though Joel was my favorite character, his death is, despite gruesome and making me feel pretty sad about it, justifiable. This game really makes you think about it a lot. Is revenge really worth it? Especially when it makes you lose everything and everyone you love?

Ghost of Tsushima. I admit that the introduction was pretty fucking cool. Being a samurai blazing through mongol hordes is really nice. But after that introduction I could see that this was no Naughty Dog game. I just came from Tlou Part 2 with its amazing animations and dialog and even the damn lip syncing was top notch. Here I saw some jank that kinda threw me off in the first hour of the game. But I told myself to keep trying, the game might surprise me. And oh boooooooy, I decided to take out my ND love from the previous game out of the scene and just accepted this was an open world game made by another studio. I never liked Sucker Punch games, Infamous and Sly Cooper garbage to me. But after what I've played in this game, they're on the top next to ND and GG. The world is fucking fantastic, the combat is amazing and it's a game that lets me do things at my own pace. I'm still in the beginning but I'm loving it. I'm going to take some time to go through this game, because it's a beauty. I'm constantly using photo mode, even my gf said the game looks amazing. My favorite open world is BOTW, but this game might take the crown if it keeps going like this.

God Of War will be next. And there's many other games I want to try, including Persona 5, Bloodborne, and I want to try Horizon again (my first experience with the game was horrible but I'm willing to try it again). To be honest i have no interest in Spider Man, I'm not a big fan of super heroes and Insomniac games. I loved Resistance but Sony canned the franchise and it still hurts.

So yeah, even though the PS5 is already out, the PS4 Pro is still an amazing machine in 2021 and I glad I got one. Just sharing some thoughts.

I like your description for what you played.. but Infamous and Sly are definitely NOT garbage 😡🤬.

... on a more serious note fucking can't find PS5 anywhere. Aaaaaaaaaa.

Last edited:
I only ever got into ff12: the zodiac age.. tried the others lol just didn't manage it.. but even ff12 you have to just accept that you're playing a really cool PS2 game, so there are some gameplay quirks that are hard to swallow..

... Oh ff7R is great fun, but i didn't like how much tifa et al looked like hentai characters lol, my wife would give me so much shit if she saw it
Yeah, I saw how tifa looks. But after playing Xenoblade I don't think Tifa is that bad hahaha
I will still get a Switch Oled very probably. Metroid and the new Zelda are too good to pass up.

I do regret selling it but now it's done. :messenger_pensive: I miss my Fire Emblem and BOTW.
I like your description for what you played.. but Infamous and Sly are definitely NOT garbage 😡🤬.

... on a more serious note fucking can't find PS5 anywhere. Aaaaaaaaaa.
Never clicked with me. Ghost of Tsushima is amazing though.

Yeah, forget the PS5, I don't even plan on getting one for at least two years.

kyliethicc

Cool to read. The Pro really is a damn good system with lots of great games.

I'm sure you'll love God of War. Game is fucking fantastic.

I love The Last of Us and Part 2, and God of War is right up with those games. Its a must play, hope you enjoy it.

GuinGuin

Banned
Yeah those are some awesome games, dude. Glad you enjoyed them. Give Horizon another shot. Once you get to the part where Aloy is an adult it really shines.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler

All of them are worth a try. Even XV has some redeeming qualities, just do yourself a favor and get the Royal Edition. The final Dungeon alone is worth it. XII and VIIR are bangers, though.

stranno

The loudest console I've ever owned, to the point where some games (Doom Eternal, No Man's Sky etc.) are almost painful to play, due to the constant leaf-blower noises.
You should try Dreamcast. Disc reader spoils the enemy encounter.. to you neighbor.

emivita

and I want to try Horizon again (my first experience with the game was horrible but I'm willing to try it again).

Lol same here, horrible first experience. I only played a few hours, the characters and the environment were pretty amazing, but once the games opens up I felt... underwhelmed? Maybe at that time I wasn't in the mood to play an open world game. I'm undecided whether to play it again on PS4 Pro or wait for a PS5 and play it at 60 FPS.

And I agree that TLOU2 was amazing. A lot of people shits on the game and especially Abby, but her character was pretty unique and I loved how her personality unfolds over the course of the story. And on PS4 Pro it was a neat experience.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Congrats. You bought the worst hardware Iv ever had the pleasure to own. Horrible designed console
Considered the price and the specs, I wouldn't call it horrible designed. Especially if we look at the Nintendo hardware.

Last edited:

Calverz

Considered the price and the specs, I wouldn't call it horrible designed. Especially if we look at the Nintendo hardware.
Jet engine noise
rhombus design that makes accessing back ports almost impossible
sunken in front usb ports meaning nothing other than standard usb devices fit.
the weird power and eject buttons.
Easily the worst for me. The ps5 is a huge step up in functionality. Design is out there though!

Celcius

°Temp. member
I've yet to buy a single game on my PS5 that isn't also available on PS4. It's still a very good system and has some amazing games to check out.

Banned
experience that is fast

you and I seem to have different definitions of fast there. ever since the new consoles are out it's really hard going back to last gen speeds... the boot time alone is so long and the amount of time it takes to do anything while a game is running in the background is atrocious... or simply starting a game... so slow

Skifi28

My one and only issue was the sound, it was just terribly loud especially in summer, people aren't joking when they talk about it taking off. It really did sound like a jet engine. I wanted to play at night but I couldn't because I'd wake half the bulding up. After experiencing how quiet the PS5 is, there is no way I could go back.

I had one a little bit after release mainly for the performance modes in some games and I had no regrets.

PRetty good little machine, but I can see why many skipped it.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I've loved my PS4 Pro. Sure the fans are loud but overall it's been the best way to experience the PS4 library. Now that I have a PS5 I'm considering selling my Pro.

Amazing games. Shit hardware. Controller is great though.

That's my take on PS4 Pro. Everything is a plus except for the cooling solution of this console.

If you like GOT, try horizon zero dawn also. Its free anyway. You can download from PS Home or something.
Didn't find it anywhere.
Yeah those are some awesome games, dude. Glad you enjoyed them. Give Horizon another shot. Once you get to the part where Aloy is an adult it really shines.
Yeah, might do it. I hated what I played back in the day but maybe now I can enjoy it? Worth the shot.
Congrats. You bought the worst hardware Iv ever had the pleasure to own. Horrible designed console
No problems here. It does get loud and I'm sitting pretty close to it but headphones on and I don't hear a damn thing.
The loudest console I've ever owned, to the point where some games (Doom Eternal, No Man's Sky etc.) are almost painful to play, due to the constant leaf-blower noises.
Been playing GoT and never gets super loud.
All of them are worth a try. Even XV has some redeeming qualities, just do yourself a favor and get the Royal Edition. The final Dungeon alone is worth it. XII and VIIR are bangers, though.
Yeah yeah, willing to try some more. I'll probably start with VII since is the one I've been eager to play the most.
Lol same here, horrible first experience. I only played a few hours, the characters and the environment were pretty amazing, but once the games opens up I felt... underwhelmed? Maybe at that time I wasn't in the mood to play an open world game. I'm undecided whether to play it again on PS4 Pro or wait for a PS5 and play it at 60 FPS.

And I agree that TLOU2 was amazing. A lot of people shits on the game and especially Abby, but her character was pretty unique and I loved how her personality unfolds over the course of the story. And on PS4 Pro it was a neat experience.
TLOU2 gets hate because a lot of people here want waifu material. Abby being less feminine triggered some folks here, but taking into consideration what she's been through... well, kinda makes sense. She got stronger and I don't see that as a problem.

The story in the game is really well told and overall I really love the game. Not as good as the first one, but fuck, it's still better than 90% of games out there.
you and I seem to have different definitions of fast there. ever since the new consoles are out it's really hard going back to last gen speeds... the boot time alone is so long and the amount of time it takes to do anything while a game is running in the background is atrocious... or simply starting a game... so slow
I never used a PS5. I don't mind the slow startup or loadings.

Top Bottom