• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Engine 5 Deep Dive on May 26th

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Again you confuse that with the GPU power. The new demo is only 24.8GB, if you open it it's really a big map. It's not as large as AC games or other massive open world, but it's very large to have decent amount inside it. Now you can tone down the polygon count even more and cut that to half and still looks impressive. I mean cut that to 1/8 and it'll still look better than most open world games out there.

The potential is achievable. Great times ahead of us! Also glad to see the new demo running smoothly on XSX which makes multiplats great! Now we need to KILL LAST GEN AND CROSSGEN GAMES!
24.8? It shows 105GB for me to download on the EGS!!!

Bo_Hazem

Banned
24.8? It shows 105GB for me to download on the EGS!!!
its 24.8 packaged up as a game. the project is 100gb

Which is pretty impressive! The map is still big enough for decent mini open world like the ones on Mass Effect: Andromeda.

michael-havart-gate3-unc-1.jpg

3ad0942c7d6788b23e1c277c6e6e8ea9.png

taylor-kingston-elaaden-11.jpg

Darius87

No we don’t. Not saying it won’t be released because all Epic main demos are eventually released. I’m betting it’s waiting on DS release later this year.

You have all the tools ready to stress test the current version of nanite. You don’t need to wait on the demo.
until it's released we can't compare it unless you think camera flyby over some rocks in editor is same thing as flyby with character on screen with destruction and fx with many multiple unique assets in way larger area is the same thing.

What do you mean? It’s not just some rocks. You can fly through the demo. You can do whatever you want. You can multiple assets by 1000x. You can duplicate that 50 million triangle monster 1000 times. You have most of the assets used on the land of the nanite demo ready in quixel at 8k/16k quality.
i'm not talking what can or can't you do in editor i'm talking about specific demo that was shown... i see rocks, cliffs and fireplace... other area has a bit more unique assets though even giant is made from same assets.

No disrespect to you, but I'm already done here and waiting for Horizon FW gameplay now. The monster is 15M though: (timestamped)

Anyway, it's great and that what matters. You may carry on the discussion with other members.

My apologies I meant 15 million it sounded like 50. Thanks for the correction. 15 x 2 = 30. Statue is 33 million. There was actually 483 statues.

So we need to multiply the monster.

I have a 1080 and I’m on my way to pick up a 3070 from micro center.

We can do all the test you want. I can pull up all the nanite stats.

But of course you are not interested in actual facts and deductive reasoning, just fanatism.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
people are starting to make impressive stuff..

Can't tell what I'm more impressed with; is it Nanite or Lumen?! Both are insane technical achievements that will push devs to new heights of creativity.

My apologies I meant 15 million it sounded like 50. Thanks for the correction. 15 x 2 = 30. Statue is 33 million. There was actually 483 statues.

So we need to multiply the monster.

I have a 1080 and I’m on my way to pick up a 3070 from micro center.

We can do all the test you want. I can pull up all the nanite stats.

But of course you are not interested in actual facts and deductive reasoning, just fanatism.

Hello mate. There is a critically missing info about the frame budget, the first one had 20M per frame, something slightly more than 4:1 Polygon : Pixel ratio. Anyway, the old demo was just that, a stress test, the new one is what matters because it can easily be done within game budget.

I'm not interested in this discussion as it's restarting with each member and all that needed to be said was here:

And here:

I have a PC with Ryzen 7 2700x, Radeon VII 16GB HBM2 VRAM, 32GB RAM, 1TB 3.5GB/s NVMe m.2 SSD, and 2TB SATA3 SSD. Could try it out myself.

Last edited:
No disrespect to you, but I'm already done here and waiting for Horizon FW gameplay now. The monster is 15M though: (timestamped)

Anyway, it's great and that what matters. You may carry on the discussion with other members.

actually after listening to it again it says 50 million not 15 million triangles. So I was right.

you need even less of it to match the 33 million statues on the PS5 demo

Bo_Hazem

Banned
actually after listening to it again it says 50 million not 15 million triangles. So I was right.

you need even less of it to match the 33 million statues on the PS5 demo

The statues were a total of 16,000 million, 33 million each mate.

image.png

image.png

image.png

Now with the critical factors:

image.png

image.png

These precise details are missing in the new one, not so in-depth. Also the old one was rendering from 1440p instead of 1080p in the new one.

LiquidRex

Will we ever see the UE5 flying sequence run on XSX and XSS for that matter...

In fact I'd like to also see it run on a PC and gaming laptop.

GreyHand23

Will we ever see the UE5 flying sequence run on XSX and XSS for that matter...

In fact I'd like to also see it run on a PC and gaming laptop.
Shouldn’t be a problem if everything is in ram on the PC. Also shouldn’t be an issue on XSX. The SSD speed is still really fast on there as well. People are acting like it’s slow just because the PS5 i/o is faster.

LiquidRex

Shouldn’t be a problem if everything is in ram on the PC. Also shouldn’t be an issue on XSX. The SSD speed is still really fast on there as well. People are acting like it’s slow just because the PS5 i/o is faster.
Yep, but the longer the wait, the more the argument it is only possible on PS5 will continue. 🤷‍♂️

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Took this pic at 5760x2400p Legit looks like CGI. The image quality is pristine.

demo7.png

And this new TSR makes so much headroom for game logic and NPC's to fill the scene as well with the 1080p base! This is actually a massive boost to AMD cards as they've been viewed lacking compared to nVidia with DLSS 2.0. Also this seems to be much easier to implement and would be supported on consoles as well which makes AMD have nearly full support in most/all new games going forward, not the case with DLSS 2.0 narrow support.

Last edited:

That’s what I said.. and have been saying for the last several posts.

Statue = 33 million
Number of statues = 483x

Monster = 50 million
Number of Monsters that we need to duplicate to match PS5 Demo statues = 319x

I will do this later today or this week.

image.png

You can easily test this. Simply have a bunch of meshes together in a room that are more than 1 billion triangles while being in view.
We can pull up the nanite profiler and I will do that later today and because we have the source code we can change the amount of triangles it crunches down to. Also remember that what ever it is today it will be orders of magnitude faster/better when directstorage and RTX IO arrives

Also the old one was rendering from 1440p instead of 1080p in the new one.

You can easily change that and people have changed it to render natively from 4K.
What part of project files don’t you understand? With all due respect. Have you done any kind of development of any sort?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
That’s what I said.. and have been saying for the last several posts.

Statue = 33 million
Number of statues = 483x

Monster = 50 million
Number of Monsters that we need to duplicate to match PS5 Demo statues = 319x

I will do this later today or this week.

You can easily test this. Simply have a bunch of meshes together in a room that are more than 1 billion triangles while being in view.

We can pull up the nanite profiler and I will do that later today and because we have the source code we can change the amount of triangles it crunches down to. Also remember that what ever it is today it will be orders of magnitude faster/better when directstorage and RTX IO arrives

Also the old one was rendering from 1440p instead of 1080p in the new one.

You can easily change that and people have changed it to render natively from 4K.
What part of project files don’t you understand? With all due respect. Have you done any kind of development of any sort?

You see, the last sentence is the problem I have with some. I'm not a developer, I'm just a gamer. Also I don't disagree with what you said here so far. I just wanna enjoy the new creations on UE5 from now on, and watch Horizon FW few hours from now. I'm not interested in this discussion with the gigantic amount of trolls and insults being thrown around, but have all respect to you and other respectful members here.

We don't even know if this is true. Where's that proof?
Proof is the Twitter post from insomniac stating that they drop all assets from memory the moment they are not in player view anymore (like all 180° behind Player) and instead donating all available memory to what is in front of the camera.

That off course will result in the most vivid, living and busy worlds we saw so far.
Also it means every cameramovment will trigger realtime streaming of assets in the Range of several GB/s .
Not doable on PC right now..

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Proof is the Twitter post from insomniac stating that they drop all assets from memory the moment they are not in player view anymore (like all 180° behind Player) and instead donating all available memory to what is in front of the camera.

That off course will result in the most vivid, living and busy worlds we saw so far.
Also it means every cameramovment will trigger mealtime streaming of assets in the Range of several GB/s .

But the easier route on PC is always more RAM though. Expensive and too niche, making it not a dev target.

But the easier route on PC is always more RAM though. Expensive and too niche, making it not a dev target.
If you referring to that UE5 Demo from yesterday I believe nothing from Epic anymore. That demo must have been downgraded or otherwise tinkered with so that ordinary PCs can play it well..
I got it running yesterday on my system.
I have a Ryzen 1500x and a GTX1650SUPER and 16GB of Ram...

It was not running nice, like 10-15FPS and a few 0fps stutters but all together ot seemd not THAT demanding to me...

So I take the stance for now that this newly released demo has nothing to say about PS5s I/O capability..
I hope we hear something from the developers about the seemingly good performance on systems wich have nonexistent I/O in PS5 Terms..

Bo_Hazem

Banned
If you referring to that UE5 Demo from yesterday I believe nothing from Epic anymore. That demo must have been downgraded or otherwise tinkered with so that ordinary PCs can play it well..

It was not running nice, like 10-15FPS and a few 0fps stutters but all together ot seemd not THAT demanding to me...

So I take the stance for now that this newly released demo has nothing to say about PS5s I/O capability..
I hope we hear something from the developers about the seemingly good performance on systems wich have nonexistent I/O in PS5 Terms..

As you said before: More speed = more efficiency = less stress on GPU/RAM/CPU. With this you can have much more headroom.

As long as it looks wonderful, that all what matters to me.

HFW looking insane even in this high-compressed stream! Watch:

Last edited:

reksveks

Also it means every cameramovment will trigger realtime streaming of assets in the Range of several GB/s .
How does RT reflection work if the objects behind you isn't in memory in the first 'pass'? I might be asking a stupid question here

The thing with the ram though:
If PC wants to leverage ram to solve this then it must mean that assets and textures will be in uncompressed state.
Because only like this you could have them handled fast if you dont have dedicated I/O hardware.
But that means they need to be uncompressed from the get go.
Like the whole game must be uncompressed then.
Or they wait like 5-10minutes to have 60Gb worth of Assets decompressed at each start of the game ..
Gamesizes would go nuclear in such a scenario. Like 1TB installs.
I dont buy it for now..

How does RT reflection work if the objects behind you isn't in memory in the first 'pass'? I might be asking a stupid question here
You stole that Question from DFs Scareface..
But Insomniac answered to someone on their Twitter that they keep track in memory about the Ray's..
But iam not a dev so I dont know their explicit solution.

reksveks

You stole that Question from DFs Scareface..
But Insomniac answered to someone on their Twitter that they keep track in memory about the Ray's..
But iam not a dev so I dont know their explicit solution.
You got a link to the tweet, if it not no worries? It sounds they aren't dropping everything

MonarchJT

Banned

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

These precise details are missing in the new one, not so in-depth. Also the old one was rendering from 1440p instead of 1080p in the new one.
and again and again and again it's not anymore about geometry you it could be 400 instances of 100 millions poly ...on xss

Last edited:

Hage Kamo

Close-ups reduce texture quality
GSpQCtF.jpg

↓
ZRytJ1J.jpg

I said this a long long time ago when the SSD magic was all in the air. I remember it "when you stream in data into view and you are rendering the asset - the GPU becomes the bottleneck". I got shit for it from non-developers. We've come full circle.
Whodathunk that marketing buzzwords are just that.
Cerny could reintroduce blast processing and the PS fanboys would proudly proclaim that "no PC can possibly blast process this game".

What irks me are your undeserved bans for merely dispelling some of the marketing talk.

That's typically how things work for the most part with game assets, but it seems like their IO solution can just do more of it. So to say it's impossible on any other platform is somewhat of a ridiculous statement. Let's also not forget that PC's have Larger SSD's, faster CPU's, more RAM and VRAM which will have advantages as well. Especially when we get to PCIe5, DDR5 and GDDR6. Not to mention GPU's now have IO controllers.

Last edited:

vpance

The demo has nothing going on it basically. It's literally just rendering the terrain map and the character. It's hardly any indication of how UE5 games are going to run on anything.

sendit

The thing with the ram though:
If PC wants to leverage ram to solve this then it must mean that assets and textures will be in uncompressed state.
Because only like this you could have them handled fast if you dont have dedicated I/O hardware.
But that means they need to be uncompressed from the get go.
Like the whole game must be uncompressed then.
Or they wait like 5-10minutes to have 60Gb worth of Assets decompressed at each start of the game ..
Gamesizes would go nuclear in such a scenario. Like 1TB installs.
I dont buy it for now..
Yep. To continuously impose a higher ram requirement is not the most effective way of doing things. This holds true with any type of development. (Not just game developers)

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Cerny could reintroduce blast processing and the PS fanboys would proudly proclaim that "no PC can possibly blast process this game".

What irks me are your undeserved bans for merely dispelling some of the marketing talk.

I don't know about all his bans but the most recent one was far from undeserved. Derailing several Ratchet threads into PC vs PS5, and PC port begging after being warned by mods to knock the shit off made it more than justified.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
That's typically how things work for the most part with game assets, but it seems like their IO solution can just do more of it. So to say it's impossible on any other platform is somewhat of a ridiculous statement. Let's also not forget that PC's have Larger SSD's, faster CPU's, more RAM and VRAM which will have advantages as well. Especially when we get to PCIe5, DDR5 and GDDR6. Not to mention GPU's now have IO controllers.
… and all of that will be all together $399-499 with an UHD Blu-Ray drive when? Because XSX and PS5 shipped November 2020, PS5 breaking even on HW in May already.

Of course you can build a PC with enough resources (and money), RAM specifically, to make at worst a giant initial load and then deal with a slower SSD for example. That is never really the point more than sounding like e-peen waving.

Dr Bass

I never thought the original talk about the SSD had anything to do with rendering capability. Epic said the demo was only possibly on PS5 because how of they were loading the data directly into memory on a per frame basis. Supposedly they only used 768mb or ram or something like that for the first demo on PS5? And the PC requires several dozen gigabytes of memory to run a worse demo with far less going on in the scene?

Wouldn't that indicate Epic was telling the truth about the data requirements, and how they were using it to load the scenes into the viewable space?

Of course the PC has far better GPUs and will be able to render better visuals than the PS5 all things being equal. Anyone who questions that is not living in reality. But Epic clearly stated what the deal was with their UE5 architecture and how it worked with the demo and ...

from what I am seeing they clearly were telling the truth? If not, why would our current demo available on PC behave the way it does and have the requirements that it does?

Am I missing something?

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I never thought the original talk about the SSD had anything to do with rendering capability. Epic said the demo was only possibly on PS5 because how of they were loading the data directly into memory on a per frame basis. Supposedly they only used 768mb or ram or something like that for the first demo on PS5? And the PC requires several dozen gigabytes of memory to run a worse demo with far less going on in the scene?

That number is for the nanite streaming pool... they likely used all of the PS5's memory.

Dr Bass

That number is for the nanite streaming pool... they likely used all of the PS5's memory.
Cool ok, but the point still stands that the PS5 demo had a lot more on screen, and obviously the system has limited ram compared to a decent PC.

So ... Epic was telling the truth and Sony did actually build the necessary custom IO solution to enable this technology to work well on a limited system ... correct?

Top Bottom