• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 245: Usman vs. Covington

Usman or Covington?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SpiceRacz

Probably one of the worst stoppages in a championship fight. They should have let it go, not just for Colby's sake, but also for Usman so he could definitively finish it.

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
That was a bad stoppage. Colby most likely would have got through that and won the belt.

Now that we know the judges scorecards, he was going to lose anyway,
I can't believe 1 judge had it 3-1 for colby though. He won a round, and 1 was close, but it was clear that Kumaru was the better fighter.

The 3 Championship fights were great.

Now that we know the judges scorecards, he was going to lose anyway,
I can't believe 1 judge had it 3-1 for colby though. He won a round, and 1 was close, but it was clear that Kumaru was the better fighter.

The 3 Championship fights were great.
I didn't catch the judges score cards except the one that gave Colby 4 rounds. Colby won the first 2 rounds, and the 4th. He should have won a decision... with a broken freakin' jaw!

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
I didn't catch the judges score cards except the one that gave Colby 4 rounds. Colby won the first 2 rounds, and the 4th. He should have won a decision... with a broken freakin' jaw!
It was 3-1, Usman, 3-1 Colby, and 2-2. The 5th round didn't get scored because of judges stoppage, but Colby was never going to win the round after getting knocked down twice.
Colby showed a lot of heart, but Usman was breaking him down the whole fight.

If there's a rematch Colby needs to find a way to deal with that front kick. It was keeping him at bay and decreasing his output so Usman could pick apart his body.

I probably wouldn't be as opposed to it all, as I actually like Usman, had he not faked that damn kick to the nuts. That was clearly not legit. The early stoppage was just another phantom nut shot, but to Colby this time. The dude could have finished the fight from that position. Even if he lost to the cards, that would have been ok.

I fell alseep after the first round, I always say how PPVs are tougher for me with their late starts and slow fight pacing

gotta go back and watch the rest of the main event, catch up on reactions/post fight presser, and then share my thoughts

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
04c200ce48d8ca134cd76d5d9fb85830.png

Ok.

So good fight. Both guys had their moments. These are clearly the two best 170’ers on the planet

I had the fight scored for Usman leading up to the TKO. I think he was en route to a decision victory regardless but I still would like refs to let a championship fight go longer than that. Yeah, he turtled up momentarily but he is wasn’t out.

I guess from the refs perspective, he had just gotten dropped twice and there’s about a 3 second stretch where he’s just kinda laying there. I don’t think it’s a terrible stoppage, I also don’t think it’s a good stoppage.

I think Usman was winning either way but still, refs probably need to let that continue a little longer.

As for Leon Edwards saying “I’m next! I’m next!” Uh. No. Your name isn’t Jorge Masvidal. Sorry.

I’m not gonna get into the political shit said after the fight. That’s whatever. Support who you want to support, that shit has nothing to do with MMA.

Masvidal should absolutely be next. Imo anyway

I agree that the ref should have let it continue just so that Usman could shatter the rest of Colby's glass jaw. I don't think either of these guys are world beaters. Masvidal and Wonderboy would destroy them both.

Henry Cejudo vs Aldo doesn’t really interest me at all but Dana says that’s what Cejudo wants
Triple Clown shouldn't dictate it. If Aldo won maybe, as he'd be ranked in the division, Yan next IMO, don't think he wants any of that.

Dana says Colby is right about the nut shot, it wasn’t a low blow, hit the belt line. Says it was absolutely a good stoppage and the eye poke was legit.

I think Aldo got robbed, honestly

I saw the cup move, so legitimate. Eye poke was filthy, eyes spasm when that happens & it looked like the doc checked the eye without asking Usman (was done in 30 secs). He didn't call a timeout like Colby.

“Everybody talked about Colby’s gas tank. Motherfuckers, I got a gas tank too!”

Usman downplays Masvidal, replying “who?” after asked him. Seems to want Edwards next.

bruh

I'd like to see either Edwards or Masvidal. Edwards has 7 fight win streak, last loss was to the champ and can outstrike Usman (he'll need to wrestle) and has good takedown defense.

LOL at Colbys reverse DC (running out). Also didn't Usman predict this on Rogan like a month ago, jaw break and all.

Triple Clown shouldn't dictate it. If Aldo won maybe, as he'd be ranked in the division, Yan next IMO, don't think he wants any of that.

I saw the cup move, so legitimate. Eye poke was filthy, eyes spasm when that happens & it looked like the doc checked the eye without asking Usman (was done in 30 secs). He didn't call a timeout like Colby.

I'd like to see either Edwards or Masvidal. Edwards has 7 fight win streak, last loss was to the champ and can outstrike Usman (he'll need to wrestle) and has good takedown defense.

LOL at Colbys reverse DC (running out). Also didn't Usman predict this on Rogan like a month ago, jaw break and all.

This is the only clip I can find. No mention of breaking his jaw.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Boxing and MMA are funny.

Lots of big talk from the fighters, yet 90% of them aren't even top classes like heavyweights or light heavies.

Some of these idiots will try to move up a weight class which could be a whopping 5 lbs and get demolished.

Last edited:

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
I agree that the ref should have let it continue just so that Usman could shatter the rest of Colby's glass jaw. I don't think either of these guys are world beaters. Masvidal and Wonderboy would destroy them both.
Glass jaw? Guy had broken jaw and went toe to toe with Usman for 3 more rounds. And while he getting pounded he wasn't the one faking nut shots and eye pokes...

Edit fake eye poke meaning getting poked in the left eye and pretending you can't see in the right. Unless the cameras are reversed

Hope Colby comes back but I don't think he could ever beat Usman without KO power

Masvidal vs Usman will be insane ><

Last edited:
Glass jaw? Guy had broken jaw and went toe to toe with Usman for 3 more rounds. And while he getting pounded he wasn't the one faking nut shots and eye pokes...

Edit fake eye poke meaning getting poked in the left eye and pretending you can't see in the right. Unless the cameras are reversed

Hope Colby comes back but I don't think he could ever beat Usman without KO power

Masvidal vs Usman will be insane ><

He literally got his jaw broken by a fighter not known for his power or even striking.

Colby is tough, but his performance afterward wasn't all that impressive. There have been fighters who have gone on to win fights with fractured jaws (with their jaw literally hanging open).

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
such a high level fight

everybody should have increased respect for both these fighters after this

Last edited:
I have zero respect for Cuntington. Running out of the arena like a little girl rather than facing the media negated anything he did in the cage, for me. He may be playing a character, but the actual man is a horrible loser. Much like Rousey.

So has anyone asked Colby why he booked it out of the arena after the decision?
Probably upset and angry at the stoppage and outcome. Doesn't really need to be asked. Why else would he do it?

such a high level fight

everybody should have increased respect for both these fighters after this

People are too jaded to do so. That was a damn great matchup. From the first to the fifth, it was awesome from both sides, regardless of what you feel.

Last edited:

Ornlu

Banned
I have zero respect for Cuntington. Running out of the arena like a little girl rather than facing the media negated anything he did in the cage, for me. He may be playing a character, but the actual man is a horrible loser. Much like Rousey.

Who gives a shit? He went out on his shield, the fight ended. The media shouldn't have anything to ask from someone who just lost a fight.

Who gives a shit? He went out on his shield, the fight ended. The media shouldn't have anything to ask from someone who just lost a fight.
Except it's an obligation. You show up when you win, and you show up when you lose. Unless you're Colby. In which case you run out of the arena and tweet about how the ref screwed you from your hospital bed.

Ornlu

Banned
Except it's an obligation. You show up when you win, and you show up when you lose. Unless you're Colby. In which case you run out of the arena and tweet about how the ref screwed you from your hospital bed.

There's tons of fighters who haven't given interviews/press conference talks after a loss. Especially if they need to go to the hospital. Not saying it's always the norm, but it's definitely not uncommon.

IMO they shouldn't be bothering people who just got done with a fight at all anyway. Especially in a long fight where both fighters took a lot of damage. That's my personal opinion, though. I get that the promoter has every interest in cultivating bad blood and hyping people up for fights and rematches.

DKehoe

Do you think the same about Forrest Griffin? I wanted Usman to win too but I have a hard time shitting on a fighter for taking a loss hard like that. I’ve never been in that situation, maybe I’d do the same thing.

There's tons of fighters who haven't given interviews/press conference talks after a loss. Especially if they need to go to the hospital. Not saying it's always the norm, but it's definitely not uncommon.

IMO they shouldn't be bothering people who just got done with a fight at all anyway. Especially in a long fight where both fighters took a lot of damage. That's my personal opinion, though. I get that the promoter has every interest in cultivating bad blood and hyping people up for fights and rematches.
It's always easy to ask things of people doing the heavy lifting when you are sitting on the couch watching them in entertainment, and have zero on the line other that post fight forum responses.

Do you think the same about Forrest Griffin? I wanted Usman to win too but I have a hard time shitting on a fighter for taking a loss hard like that. I’ve never been in that situation, maybe I’d do the same thing.
Did Griffin talk shit about his opponent's dead former manager? And let's face it, that's barely scratching the surface of the shit Colby has talked. You reap what you sow. Fuck him.

Last edited:

DKehoe

Did Griffin talk shit about his opponent's dead former manager? And let's face it, that's barely scratching the surface of the shit Colby has talked. You reap what you sow. Fuck him.

I get that, and I think Colby does a bad job of trying to work Chael Sonnen's schtick. But if you are looking for shit to humble him then this is it. His opponents are going to be bringing him running out up for years to come.

I get that, and I think Colby does a bad job of trying to work Chael Sonnen's schtick. But if you are looking for shit to humble him then this is it. His opponents are going to be bringing him running out up for years to come.
Here's the thing, though. I think he missed a great opportunity to dial back the act post fight, by facing up and conceding that he lost to the better man on the night. Instead he acted like a petulant brat. He might regret that, as I thought with his public admittance that he adopted the persona to avoid being cut by the UFC, he was giving himself a potential out. Now it looks like he's doubling down.

DKehoe

Here's the thing, though. I think he missed a great opportunity to dial back the act post fight, by facing up and conceding that he lost to the better man on the night. Instead he acted like a petulant brat. He might regret that, as I thought with his public admittance that he adopted the persona to avoid being cut by the UFC, he was giving himself a potential out. Now it looks like he's doubling down.

Gotta live the gimmick, brother.

I actually think it works to his advantage. Love and hate are the same thing when it comes to numbers and attention. If people hate you, give them more of a reason to hate you. I'm not saying that's why he ran. He fought a strong guy with a broken jaw, and the fight ended. Who cares what they say, as long as they are saying it. It's when people aren't saying shit about you that you need to worry. Leon Edwards is the prime example. Not a single person gives a shit about him (outside of those in the know) even though he is definitely the next in line.

Love is the same damn thing as hate when it comes to numbers.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie

colby is a guy that would rather die than concede to someone. he is upset the ref didnt let him die and not live with shame

regardless, all these fighters, even colby and mcgregor, are actually very very humble

Last edited:

DKehoe

I actually think it works to his advantage. Love and hate are the same thing when it comes to numbers and attention. If people hate you, give them more of a reason to hate you. I'm not saying that's why he ran. He fought a strong guy with a broken jaw, and the fight ended. Who cares what they say, as long as they are saying it. It's when people aren't saying shit about you that you need to worry. Leon Edwards is the prime example. Not a single person gives a shit about him (outside of those in the know) even though he is definitely the next in line.

Love is the same damn thing as hate when it comes to numbers.

The thing is, is Colby actually drawing big numbers? I guess we’ll see when the numbers for this one come out. But it just doesn’t feel like it’s really connecting in a meaningful way. I guess it’s working better for him than before at least.

The thing is, is Colby actually drawing big numbers? I guess we’ll see when the numbers for this one come out. But it just doesn’t feel like it’s really connecting in a meaningful way. I guess it’s working better for him than before at least.
True. I just can't imagine this ppv being bigger if, say, Leon was the one fighting instead of Colby. Would anyone have cared at all? Would we have gotten similar numbers and attention from a challenger that was just as deserving, with Edwards?

Glass jaw? Mother fuckers got a chin on him, and hes a good fighter. Hes a disrespectful POS (who IMO represents basically everything wrong with the sport), but I'll give him credit where it's due.

Him getting his jaw broken was the most satisfying ending possible. Too bad the ref didnt let it go until he was completely out though

Last edited:

DKehoe

True. I just can't imagine this ppv being bigger if, say, Leon was the one fighting instead of Colby. Would anyone have cared at all? Would we have gotten similar numbers and attention from a challenger that was just as deserving, with Edwards?

Yeh Covington has made himself more of a star than guys like Edwards. So he does have that going for him and credit to him for trying something when most don’t. It drives me fucking crazy when someone is interviewed post fight, gets asked who they want next and just says “whoever the UFC want me to fight” But he’s trying to carry himself like a top star like Chael or Conor do, but he just doesn’t have the charisma for it so it comes off awkward. He needs to tweak it a little more and find a balance that works for who he is. Currently he just comes across as a guy playing a character, and everyone can tell.

Yeh Covington has made himself more of a star than guys like Edwards. So he does have that going for him and credit to him for trying something when most don’t. It drives me fucking crazy when someone is interviewed post fight, gets asked who they want next and just says “whoever the UFC want me to fight” But he’s trying to carry himself like a top star like Chael or Conor do, but he just doesn’t have the charisma for it so it comes off awkward. He needs to tweak it a little more and find a balance that works for who he is. Currently he just comes across as a guy playing a character, and everyone can tell.
He straight up comes out to Kurt Angle's entrance theme. He thinks it's the WWE and he's going to play the heel character to instant fame. Too bad he has like 1/100th the charisma Kurt Angle did. It's a really bad pro wrestler heel persona in an actual combat sport and it looks phony as shit.

In general the fake trash talking in UFC is cringe tier. These guys are trying to be serious athletes in a sport trying to get mainstream acceptance as a serious competitive sport shown on ESPN and then they act like it's Smackdown and it's fucking embarrassing.

Top Bottom