• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 245: Usman vs. Covington

Usman or Covington?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
4Hvv6GF.jpg

rXytHqS.jpg

Source, all cards & starting times in your area

We've had so much time to think about this matchup. I still haven't seen enough from Colby to see how he can beat Kamaru. If Kamaru can keep cool think he'll get this, prolly decision. Colbys cardio is great and he'll go for the numbers trying to outscore Kam for the rounds. Hoping for some high level wrestling at least. If it stays on the feet Colby doesn't have the power for the KO, Kam does. Hoping it's not a Woodley v Thompson.

If Max does his usual spin & combo and keep Volkanovski off him and out of the pocket it should be another win. He's a hard worker though and ex rugby player so has power & stamina. Could be v interesting.

Nunes should have this. Randamie has reach, muay Thai and a chin. So fingers crossed.

Aldo v Moraes..

Petr Yan I think will have this, Faber has a good chin though, so maybe decision.

We got a week though, looking forward to the vlog.

Clarissa

Banned
I just want Colby to get beaten up. He's so Irritating lol. But Colby is really damn good. And very intelligent fighter. So Idk. I want Usman to win but Colby is gonna give him a very hard time.

Ornlu

Banned
I say Covington wins a competitive fight; decision win. It's MMA, though, so who knows!

Great looking card, too

Edit: Holy shit, Matt Brown vs. Ben Saunders? What year is it??!?

Last edited:

highrider

Banned
Usman is a more powerful puncher, but Convington can fight. His schtick has actually improved a lot as well, the name jokes he does, Ralphie Dos Nachos 😂

mekes

Never been too enthused watching either Usman or Covington. But I did respect the hell out of Covington’s fight against Robbie Lawler. And I like him more now that everybody is saying he’s actually a really nice guy and the UFC were going to cut him for being boring. Hats off to him, even if he is annoying.

Haven’t seen enough of either but my gut says Colby wins split decision.

Colbys act was silly, but he committed to it. UFC's Kurt Angle without the necessary credentials, I used to get irritated now I just laugh (at). He's got volume and cardio but rewatching Usmans fight with Woodley shows what he needs to do to cut Colby down, body shots especially within clinches, win early rounds, elbows and then I think he can knock him down and get a stoppage later.

I could be completely wrong, and that's why this fight is so interesting. High-level wrestling I hope rather than just standup.

Edit: Platinum Mike Perry last prelim fight. Can't wait.

Last edited:

GymWolf

i hope colby wins because i hate usman, but usman is gonna win for sure.

Pillow fist from colby can't get that specimen away for too long, and even if they wrestle, the nigerian looks far more powerfull, he is gonna ragdoll poor colby at least for the first 3 round.
Only hope for colby is not getting knocked out and maybe winning a decision if usman get tired in the end.

I have nothing against the blessed one, but i root for volkanosky on this one.

Same for nunes,nothing against her but i root for random meme

Marlon winner over aldo.

I hope platinum get a W after the war with luque.

If yan can avoid loosing both his hands inside the giant asshole chin of faber, he can win this one i think.

Last edited:
I don't dislike Covington because of his act. I dislike him because he's so incredibly shitty at pulling it off. Chael, for example, has charisma, is witty and can talk his ass off.

Then you have Colby. Reciting rehearsed shit (and often fucking it up), stuttering over basic words, and just completely witless. Watching Bisping eviscerate him on live TV was painful.

manfestival

I feel like most of the people that are on the Colby train are the same dudes that got on the McGregor train right before the Aldo fight. JUST SAYIN

As far as the matches go
Usman v Covington : Hard to say since Usman has been out on injury. I don't personally care who wins or loses since I like both fighters for what they bring to the sport. However, if I had to put my money? I guess it would go to Usman despite his hardships and having to walk on grass cause his knees are so bad geeeez.
Holloway v Volkakovski : Great fight here. I think this will be fight of the night. We have seen Holloway bleed. HOWEVER, I do feel the strength of Volkankovskis wins aren't enough to show he will win. Holloway wins.
Nunes v Randamie: Nunes wins. Nothing else to really say about this fight.
Moraes v Aldo: Another potential for FotN. Aldo hasn't been the same since McGregor got in his head. Moraes has the scary air around him like Aldo did back in the day. I am calling this for Moraes.
Yan v Faber: This one is hard to call. Yan is an up and comer. Faber is the seasoned vet and always fan favorite. Might have to lean on the experience on this one and with my bias choose Faber.

manfestival

Imagine the visual of an unabashed MAGA shithead standing over the limp body of a black man though. This could get hilariously riotous.
Colby is a volume striker. Therefore, that is unlikely that this would happen. Colby is also just trolling people since he is playing heel. Which is something Joe and others have brought up. He has gotten better at it but not nearly as good as McGregor.

GymWolf

After the way Colby manhandled Lawler, IMO one of the most dangerous fighters at that weight, I think he has a very solid shot at anyone. He can fight.
Yeah but lawler that night was a shadow of himself, let's be honest here.

Usman is not gonna stop with colby light punches...he was not afraid of woodley's power, what chanche has colby to stop him?

Last edited:

highrider

Banned
Yeah but lawler that night was a shadow of himself, let's be honest here.

Usman is not gonna stop with colby light punches...he was not afraid of woodley's power, what chanche has colby to stop him?

Lawler has looked better than he has in years. By your logic the Diaz brothers should never win fights because they aren’t power punchers, Colby is in that same mold of endurance based attacking. Now I’m not saying it’s easy, but I’m not understanding where you think it’s a wrap and he has no chance.

GymWolf

Lawler has looked better than he has in years. By your logic the Diaz brothers should never win fights because they aren’t power punchers, Colby is in that same mold of endurance based attacking. Now I’m not saying it’s easy, but I’m not understanding where you think it’s a wrap and he has no chance.
Lawler was physically good but was a punching bag for almost the entire match cmon...
Nowhere near his best performance.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Yeah it’s almost as if a guy constantly attacking him caused problems for him.. 🤔
So for you that was a top tier lawler perfomance...ok...

Have you ever watched his match against rory??

Halloway was a volume puncher like colby and he was rocked and stopped by a power puncher like poirier, not anyone is gonna stop if your punches are light...

Last edited:
Colby is a volume striker. Therefore, that is unlikely that this would happen. Colby is also just trolling people since he is playing heel. Which is something Joe and others have brought up. He has gotten better at it but not nearly as good as McGregor.

Yeh he's still pretty bad.

There's nothing wrong with being a nerd or virgin though.

I liked everyone at the panel except him, he tries hard but is baad at it. He's having a go though, so best of luck to him. GSP is a different kettle of fish though.

manfestival

Yeh he's still pretty bad.

There's nothing wrong with being a nerd or virgin though.

I liked everyone at the panel except him, he tries hard but is baad at it. He's having a go though, so best of luck to him. GSP is a different kettle of fish though.
Yeah he is trying way too hard. I know he is doing what sells(and I guess it's working for him). I am just a fan of regular bad blood/trash talking rivalries rather than one guy trying to be the "bad guy" in a sport. Which is why Mayweather and McGregor are able to go so far being mouthy. They don't pretend to be persona and are actually just super cocky.

I do think that Usman is a nightmare(pun intended) match up for Colby. Colby had to have hit that hyperbolic time chamber behind the scenes. He has a chance but it is just not in his favor. Everyone has a chance.

highrider

Banned
So for you that was a top tier lawler perfomance...ok...

Have you ever watched his match against rory??

Halloway was a volume puncher like colby and he was rocked and stopped by a power puncher like poirier, not anyone is gonna stop if your punches are light...

That performance was directly influenced by the attack he was under, be it volume punching or grappling just to drain a dude, pressing the fence. You act as if Lawler just decides to lay an egg despite looking great in his most recent fights. Agree to disagree and all, I totally understand your viewpoint.

Had to think about it a lot this week, mostly do to the main event that, in my eyes, is extremely evenly matched.

Colby and Kamaru have a lot in common, fighting wise.

At first I was pretty confident that Usman is gonna win, but I have wavered, I am picking Colby by close 5 round decision.

My picks:

Colby over Usman - Decision (close fight). I just think Colby has a little more of what's most important (cardio, technical grappling, striking output) .................................................................

Holloway over Volkanovski - 4th round TKO. I just think Holloway is the best ever at 145. Volkan is dangerous as hell and can definitely keep Max off balance with takedowns but Max is just such a best at 145.

Nunes over GDR - clear 5 round decision. This is a fight where GDR's toughness and craftiness will do her more harm than good. She won't get knocked out, as she has a granite chin, but she will absorb hellacious damage for 25 minutes. She will have some moments, for sure, she's a masterful kickboxer, but Nunes cruises IMO..

Moraes over Aldo - I love Aldo, I just think his time is up. Its cool that he made 135 tho, maybe he will surprise me and this rejuvenates him.

Yan over Faber - I think this will be a pretty convincing 3 round decision for Yan.

Pretty safe picks, I am not going with a single underdog. Just the way I see it panning out but in MMA we know the unexpected happens every night

Last edited:
Poll is closed but I got Usman. He's a better version of Colby in every way.

Rooting for Germaine but I think Amanda will wrestlefuck her to death like last time :messenger_sleeping:.

I'm hoping Aldo's corpse can pull out a win and Holloway will outlast his opponent with his slow, looping punches like he always does.

DKehoe

Hoping Usman and Covington doesn’t just turn into a shitty kickboxing match like some fights with two grapplers often do. Looking forward to seeing how it goes.

Top Bottom