• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft and Massive Entertainment announce open-world Star Wars game

VN1X

Banned
Uhh whatever happened to Avatar? I mean I get that they are maybe holding out for when the movies finally release but damn, that initial announcement was ages ago.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This sounds like it could be a very good collaboration. Definitely going to be keeping an eye on it. At least Ubisoft more consistently delivers quality (if not rather cookie cutter) games.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
So I guess Division 3 is not happening anytime soon?
This is Division 3, its just renamed to Star Wars

4tnjh0.jpg

Yeah thought that as well. Prepare for a player customized character making repetitive fetch quests all day, maybe with a mix of climbing towers and finding thousands of collectibles.

Did EA lose the star wars deal?

Last edited:

Kumomeme

despite made by division studio but since its ubisoft, hopefully this is not another assasins creed with different skin.

yurinka

Uhh whatever happened to Avatar? I mean I get that they are maybe holding out for when the movies finally release but damn, that initial announcement was ages ago.
Massive is working on it. As I remember it was announced for 2022 or 2023. The Star Wars game seems to be on early stages and won't be released soon, like the Indiana Jones game. The EA deal ends in 2023 so I highly doubt other publishers may release this or other Star Wars games before that year.

What a dumb tweet. The Star Wars deal is maybe with the FIFA one the most important license deal EA, and maybe the gaming industry, ever had. It generated a ton of money for EA only because of the license, specially these years where the non-licensed EA games didn't perform as well as when they created new EA IPs like Dead Space or Mirrors Edge. They obviously want this deal, and wanted to renew it. But Disney bought Star Wars and Disney won't renew the deal because knows they can milk the IP more and better if working with other top publishers in addition to EA.

Last edited:

Aion002

Wow! If it is a Division like game with multiple classes, going from Jedis to Bounty Hunters with multiple planets to explore plus some space battles, this could be one of the best game of the gen!

Ubi just needs to be careful with the microtransactions galore.

shoplifter

This could be great...if it's nothing like the Division. I don't want any of the MMO bullshit in this.
Fair enough, but I think a Division-style game could work well in the proper corner of the SW universe. Mercs, smugglers, military would all fit right in.

Trogdor1123

Sounds awesome, ubi gas really done a great job with their open world games lately. This has some real potential.

Also, when is the NextGen division 2 patch coming?

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

If you can’t hop into an X-Wing and blow shit up on the ground they’ve failed. Transitioning up into space would be a bonus but they at least need to nail that.

Last edited:
Really surprised that neither Sony nor Microsoft have a deal with Disney for a Star Wars exclusive. Seems like EA lost the license so that should be a good opportunity for them both.
I don't think Disney wants to see their biggest IP exclusive to any one platform, which would happen if given to either Sony or Microsoft.

MiguelItUp

Gold Member
So we can expect to be capturing towers and control points?

I'm hoping for the best with this project regardless. Still really cool that we're gonna be getting Star Wars games from other devs now that the EA contract is complete. Still hoping for the best Battlefront yet, a new Jedi Knight, a new Republic Commando, and other awesome new experiences.

GeorgPrime

Banned
ErnUymEXAAAqkWH

Publisher Ubisoft and The Division series developer Massive Entertainment have entered into a partnership with Lucasfilm Games to develop an open-world Star Wars game, the companies announced.

Development on the new title is still very early, and Massive Entertainment is still recruiting staff for the project. The Division 2 and The Crew director Julian Gerighty will serve as the game’s creative director, and it will use the Snowdrop Engine.

The Massive Entertainment-developed Star Wars game is the first major Star Wars game not developed by Electronic Arts to be announced in eight years.

According to Sean Shopaw, senior vice president of Global Games and Interactive Experiences at Disney, “Electronic Arts has been and will continue to be a very strategic and important partner for us now and going forward. But we did feel like there’s room for others.”

Gematsu

Wait for the inevitable "Search 100 Force Fragments". "Find the 100 hidden Wookies" and 50 times "Climb those Raider Outposts to enhance the mini map"

And people will LOVE!!!!! it.

Last edited:
I hope we get to play as a Bounty Hunter who travels across different worlds as they try to create a name for themselves. Wouldn't mind if it takes place canonically at the same time as The Mandalorian. If not, a spiritual successor to Star Wars 1313 would also be amazing.

Saber

Gold Member
Not sure its good news either.

I mean, its not like Ubisoft is much different from EA. They gonna probably sink Star Wars from good, either from gameplay, predatory business or story(mainly story).

pratyush

It's raining Star wars .. final season of Clone wars, Fallen Order, Mandalorian .. now Ubisoft and EA have promised new games. Plus Indiana Jones.. This gen is going to be great

Lanrutcon

Fair enough, but I think a Division-style game could work well in the proper corner of the SW universe. Mercs, smugglers, military would all fit right in.
Yeah...without the online requirement, forced multiplayer, staggered activities, HP bloat and shallow character progression. Could be great.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Cant be any worse than what EA managed to do in the last 7 years.

Ubisoft games are forgettable but fairly playable and do have some redeeming qualities. Plus you can be sure it will be a single player game and not a shitty mp BF clone. worst case scenario we will get a AC clone set in a sci fi world and im ok with that.

CamHostage

What a dumb tweet. The Star Wars deal is maybe with the FIFA one the most important license deal EA, and maybe the gaming industry, ever had. It generated a ton of money for EA only because of the license, specially these years where the non-licensed EA games didn't perform as well as when they created new EA IPs like Dead Space or Mirrors Edge. They obviously want this deal, and wanted to renew it. But Disney bought Star Wars and Disney won't renew the deal because knows they can milk the IP more and better if working with other top publishers in addition to EA.

But wait, we don't know the terms of the deal on the EA/Disney Star Wars products, right? We know that the games have generated a lot of revenue (the first Battlefront alone moved 13m units in its first year, and so has probably generated >$1b in business; SWTOR has also surprisingly crossed $1b, so let's be clear, it's a shitload of bank moving because of this brand,) but the terms of rev share with Disney for the franchise is undisclosed. It could be a significant slice of the pie.

There seems to be something in these Disney partnerships that makes them not worth working with. They have two of the monolith brands of all of entertainment in Star Wars and Marvel, both of which they have licensed out the properties rather than making products internally. Star Wars, they bought in 2012 and licensed out to Electronic Arts, and they have produced a total of, what, 4 console products? (Maybe 5 if you count SWTOR, but that was in development before the deal I assume?) in that time under an exclusive deal. Marvel, they bought in 2009, and they did a associative deal system (like Star Wars is going towards, where the rights managers choose publishers to work with in creating titles under an internal brand manager and the development studio,) and that has produced in that decade two Spider-Mans, the long-long-long-in-gestation failure Avengers game, Iron Man VR, and Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, and a bunch of mobile games. Almost a decade each, and total number of AAA products (as "gamers" would normally count them) generated for two massive brands across multiple development studios is barely 10 by my count.

(*Meanwhile, TT Games' LEGO team, which don't seem to fit into either of these "AAA exclusives with oversite" contracts, have quietly produced 2 Star Wars and 3 Marvel LEGO games, so half that in a much more casual arrangement.)

If they make ungodly amount of money, why haven't other publishers been selling their first-borns to get these Star Wars and Marvel games going?

Last edited:

GreyHorace

And Disney seems to be a pain in the ass to work with. They have two of the biggest brands in entertainment in Star Wars and Marvel, both of which they have licensed out the properties rather than making products internally. Star Wars, they bought in 2012 and licensed out to Electronic Arts, and they have produced a total of, what, 4 console products? (Maybe 5 if you count SWTOR, but that was in development before the deal I assume?) in that time under an exclusive deal. Marvel, they bought in 2009, and they did a associative deal system (like Star Wars is going towards, where the rights managers choose publishers to work with in creating titles under an internal brand manager and the development studio,) and that has produced in that decade two Spider-Mans, the long-long-long-in-gestation failure Avengers game, Iron Man VR, and Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, and a bunch of mobile games. Almost a decade each, and total number of AAA products (as "gamers" would normally count them) generated for two massive brands across multiple development studios is barely 10 by my count.

(*Meanwhile, TT Games' LEGO team, which don't seem to fit into either of these "AAA exclusives with oversite" contracts, have quietly produced 2 Star Wars and 3 Marvel LEGO games, so half that in a much more casual arrangement.)

If they make ungodly amount of money, why haven't other publishers been selling their first-borns to get these Star Wars and Marvel games going?
Respawn actually confirmed this. It took a lot of effort to convince Lucasfilm to let them make Jedi Fallen Order. Apparently the people at Lucasfilm are very protective of Jedi as characters and didn't want a game made about one.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
A licensing deal they never wanted eh?, i'm sure they were super unhappy with the 33mil combined sales of Battlefront 1 and 2 (and that 33mil was reported Oct 2019), and the 10+mil sales of Fallen Jedi.
What rubbish lol.
The bad part of this for me means no Battlefront 3.
Without knowing what cut Disney is getting, it could very well be a deal they don't want.

CamHostage

Respawn actually confirmed this. It took a lot of effort to convince Lucasfilm to let them make Jedi Fallen Order. Apparently the people at Lucasfilm are very protective of Jedi as characters and didn't want a game made about one.

(*I revised my "Disney seems to be a pain in the ass to work with" wording since I only know what I read, but...)

Right, just look at what's become of this "sweetheart EA/Disney deal".

EA has formed brand new studios for Star Wars, they have acquired major talent, they have started and restarted products and canceled projects, they have significantly overhauled games to meet new demands (SW Battlefront II was going to use some form of their microtransactions market - the business that generates all those billions in real profit in the FIFA deal - but because it was a name brand and because it was a controlling licenser, that all had to be totally redone when MTX became a hot-button issue; IMO the game is better for the change, and there's still MTX in there under a different form, but other brands have no problem milking the whales for every penny while Star Wars is deemed too classy for that in the AAA products, despite the mobile games being lootbox lunchboxes.) Motive had a game. Visceral had a game. EA Canada Vancouver had a different game from the assets of the Visceral game. "Every developer dreams of creating games for the Star Wars universe," said Frank Gibeau of EA Labels when the deal was announced. And yet, how many EA developers saw their dreams come true?

Was Ragtag really such a colossal piece of crap that EA could not finish it, or was working with LucasFilm just not worth it at some point?
Kt94CqZ.jpg

STAR WARS "RAGTAG", the Visceral / Amy Henning Project

The previous LucasArts already had a rep for being picky and finicky. This is the company that shitcanned Star Wars Battlefront 3 and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 3. Star Wars 1313, First Assault and RedFly's Maul died on the vine (much of that was the EA deal, but each was in some kind of turmoil at the time anyway, and if any was worth continuing, they could have potentially been written into from the EA deal.) Quality did not necessarily rule the galaxy at LucasArts either (it seems like people have just purged from their minds that something like 2 out of 3 Star Wars games were garbage... although maybe Star Wars Kinect gets a bad reputation?) And with the move towards making all the Star Wars products in the Disney/LucasFilm era "canon", the micromanagement may have been even more intense.

HyKs3Fe.jpg

CANCELED

(BTW, I already mentioned the LEGO brand as being outside the AAA deal management, but Lego Star Wars: Skywalker Saga should have been out a year ago, what happened there?)

I only know what's in public regarding the Disney's EA/Star Wars and Marvel/publisher deals, but from my perspective of a consumer, I don't see on store shelves what I would assume to be based on the profitability of these properties. So something's more complicated than easy answers offer.

Hopefully that's something the new LucasFilm Games (and ideally future Marvel Games deals) will take into account as they make partnerships going forward.

Last edited:
Top Bottom