• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Turns out people are wrong about the ‘squeeze through cracks’ loading screens

Bartski

Gold Member
VaO0ZYJ.jpg

Three

Why do people always have extremely high standards when it comes to PlayStation games? There was no squeeze through drama when A plague tale Requiem launched, a game that’s current gen only.

Why there was no backlash on how Elding Ring plays similarly to the other souls games? But now it’s a problem for Ragnarok.

I can go on and on… jeez , just play and shut the fuck up, you entitled shits who receive free codes.
They have to find something to bitch about and can't find much so it ends up being the most mundane non issue that they decide to concentrate on. Go look at the Scorn thread and see if anyone is complaining about squeezing through a crack or mostly walking. You would be hard pressed to find anyone.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Sure, there can be a combination of reasons, but if it's purely for game design purposes can they are least be super short? What's annoying are the 10 second ones that are VERY obviously there to mask loading. If you need one for preventing the player from going back or whatever, make it a quick 1 second squeeze. Or have it be a ledge you have to drop from and then can't get back up again, or a door that can't be opened from the other side, or have some rubble fall down and block the path, or whatever. Just don't make it ANNOYING.

?

Silly comment.

It’s only ND and SM overusing this.
Clearly you haven’t played as many games as you think you have. Tomb Raider, Spider-Man, modern Final Fantasy games etc all use similar techniques.

As an aside of this - which developers of 3rd person action games are as heavily awarded in the genre? The games they make are top tier for a variety of reasons including pacing.

I’d take Uncharted, TLOU and GOW over almost every other 3rd person action game because of the overall presentation. The other games you may have played may have had fewer or no sections like this, but I’m willing to bet they are poorer games overall with much poorer technical achievement.

Last edited:

bbeach123

Next time atleast make them move their ass themself pls , Holding the stick in a load screen 100x time wasnt fun .

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Why does this shit even matter? Why does it bother some people to go between a crack for 4 sec. Like seriously, at this point we are just looking for little things to complaign.

“Squeeze through” is some of the most overblown drama in modern gaming.

Real talk.

Only time that shit got on my nerves was Jedi Fallen Order, that shit had to be hiding load times because it in no way added dramatic effect or funneling you one way (because you could go back through).

The only game w squeeze through I ever played was Fallen Order and it didnt bother me at all. I liked some of the environments and how your lightsaber affected them, and the droid on your back would do interesting things too. Although I didnt consider it was a loading device until after I beat the game, but they were so short I dont see how that bothers anyone.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Clearly you haven’t played as many games as you think you have. Tomb Raider, Spider-Man, modern Final Fantasy games etc all use similar techniques.
Yeah I’ve played the modern Tomb Raider trilogy and Spider-Man and MM too. As I said, it’s mainly ND and SM overusing it.

As an aside of this - which developers of 3rd person action games are as heavily awarded in the genre?
Define 3rd person action games? The Witcher 3, From Soft games, Bethesda games, Insomniac’s games - funny question though, I only really care about quality, not the number of awards.

Three

Sure, there can be a combination of reasons, but if it's purely for game design purposes can they are least be super short? What's annoying are the 10 second ones that are VERY obviously there to mask loading. If you need one for preventing the player from going back or whatever, make it a quick 1 second squeeze. Or have it be a ledge you have to drop from and then can't get back up again, or a door that can't be opened from the other side, or have some rubble fall down and block the path, or whatever. Just don't make it ANNOYING.
I think part of that long squeeze is to deter you from wanting to go back. The short alternative is a door that mysteriously locks behind you

Drizzlehell

Banned
'Squeeze through crack' sections are like the 'mirror jump scare' of video games. It's not really something to get worked up about but at the same time, it's such an overused cliche at this point that it's just kinda distracting when you see it.

And just like when you're anticipating a bad guy jumping the hero with a musical sting at the end of the mirror trick, all you can think about during a butt crack squeeze is whether or not someone's gonna grab your character at the end of this animation.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I think part of that long squeeze is to deter you from wanting to go back. The short alternative is a door that mysteriously locks behind you

Why couldn't a very short squeeze do the same? The long ones are to mask loading, no doubt.

ungalo

Why do people always have extremely high standards when it comes to PlayStation games? There was no squeeze through drama when A plague tale Requiem launched, a game that’s current gen only.

Why there was no backlash on how Elding Ring plays similarly to the other souls games? But now it’s a problem for Ragnarok.

I can go on and on… jeez , just play and shut the fuck up, you entitled shits who receive free codes.
Certain narratives stick to certain games and not others yes. But i don't think it's against Playstation games, quite the opposite when you see some reactions.

It's not huge criticism, it's not because a game will obviously be very good that people can't question design choices.

And comparing what is Ragnarok to God of War 2018 and Elden Ring to Dark Souls is laughable.

Last edited:

Neff

The main problem is me having to hold 'up' for a minute while my previously able character edges slowly through an obvious data checkpoint. It looks and feels ridiculous and disconnects me from my tactile relationship with the game.

Just have my character move by themselves as soon as I commit to it and I'll shut up about them.

Yeah I’ve played the modern Tomb Raider trilogy and Spider-Man and MM too. As I said, it’s mainly ND and SM overusing it.

Define 3rd person action games? The Witcher 3, From Soft games, Bethesda games, Insomniac’s games - funny question though, I only really care about quality, not the number of awards.
It’s a good job that Uncharted, God of War and TLOU are fantastic games as well then right?

None of the studios you have mentioned produce tight, excellently paced games as part of their MO. Bethesda games are good, but dear lord they are bloated. The Witcher is open world so it’s pacing is also poor. Good game, but across the board it isn’t as impressive an experience.

Love From Soft games but let’s not pretend their narrative is anything to shout about. They have fewer components to execute on excellently. The same with games like Zelda which are near and dear to me, but I know the narratives, VA, pacing and technical achievement overall isn’t much to shout about.

The games you claim ‘overuse’ the technique are actually doing some clever things *while* you are doing them, and increasingly so narratively. Thresholds crossed in a narrative sense, locking off areas behind you for narrative reasons, giving exposition about the world (Mimir) etc

Far better than the implementations in FF and Tomb Raider.

Last edited:

Haggard

Banned
So it's not always hidden loading but sometimes also bad game design that requires the player to not deviate from a very narrow path or entry point into a level...

That really doesn't make this any better.

Three

Why couldn't a very short squeeze do the same? The long ones are to mask loading, no doubt.
The good ones allow some time to turn back but unfortunately not all. The couple second squeeze for me is an indication that I'm committing to no back tracking once I reach the end. If it were an instant hop I wouldn't know to be honest. Anyway they really don't bother me at all. It's 3 seconds in an hours long game and it can often add to the atmosphere of going to some secluded place. Don't see why some people bitch about it.

BlackTron

This has been a thing ever since Castlevania games had rooms as a throwback to SOTN's CD loading hallways, even though they were on carts.

I guess it takes an extra gen to wean that off the game design lol.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Who knows, maybe some people are really sick of this? And the fact that this discussion is happening as GoW is about to release is because very high-profile releases should be held to a higher standard and maybe find alternative solutions to old problems?
Why should we go by the assumption that “dev I like very much says this is very handy, so if they use this it’s the best there is and who am I to complain?”

But no, of course the defence force are all about “muh immersion” and “so what award-winning game did you develop again, mate?”

The best thing is that the thread is clearly about damage control, as of course this is right on cue with GoW releasing. But somehow this is being turned around to make some others sound like ignorant crybabies with no first-party games to play that have nothing better to do than find flaws in the upcoming PS GOTY contender…

I’ll wait for you all in the inevitable “there’s no squeezing through cracks in Tears of the Kingdom” thread.
I’ll have my popcorn ready 🍿

I swear Nintendo, if there’s a single loading crack in TOTK…

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The good ones allow some time to turn back but unfortunately not all. The couple second squeeze for me is an indication that I'm committing to no back tracking once I reach the end. If it were an instant hop I wouldn't know to be honest. Anyway they really don't bother me at all. It's 3 seconds in an hours long game and it can often add to the atmosphere of going to some secluded place. Don't see why some people bitch about it.

It's a lot more than three seconds in many games.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Sounds reasonable.
The games can stream load along the way. No need for cracks.
But this is needed as area separators.
The worst one was FF7 remake recently but still fine

Yoboman

If used sparingly, it isn’t. It is just another tool in the proverbial toolbox. The issue is that it has become the go-to tool. Whether it is some form of “Squeezing” or a “boost” - these are the two most common methods to “funnel” players despite there being literally hundreds of choices they can choose to help make it feel less frustrating.

Let’s create a scenario where we use these tools to funnel players into finishing a particular combat encounter. We can’t have them back track and they can’t move forward without dispatching every enemy, as suggested by the Twitter prompt. First, let’s look at choices to prevent backtracking:

1.) Enter an area and the entrance crashes down, blocking your retreat.
2.) You enter an area and lock the door behind you to prevent enemies from chasing you.
3.) You drop down into an area, with no way to climb back.
4.) You sneak into a building from a window at a higher vantage point.
5.) Security Protocol engages and blocks your exit.

Those are five ideas I had within as many seconds.

No need to use the same tired “squeeze” gimmick. Now what about forcing them to finish a combat encounter and stopping them from moving past it?

1.) Have a locked door that requires a key or listen to NPCs spout dialogue hints on a passcode for the door. This will force them to explore the environment and location while engaging in stealth mechanics to finish the area.
2.) Have a cutscene play that loads players into a different location.
3.) Have the door locked until the combat encounter ends and a new enemy enters.
4.) Fight a wave of enemies to bring out the boss who has the McGuffin you need for whatever story reason (a lever, a key, a magical artifact, etc).
5.) Give a justification as to why you need to kill all the enemies before you move on.

Again, five ideas in five seconds that don’t require taking control out of the players hands to watch a Slow and frustrating “boost” animation.

If you continue to use a singular design choice to justify reasons to not be able to backtrack or to force players to finish a combat encounter, you will frustrate your audience. That is simply bad design. Diversify your choices and options to keep players on their toes. Don’t force them to slow down, but create interesting environments and level designs to keep them moving at a good pace. You don’t need them to slow down to a crawl to load up another area either - you can just create a series of rooms that tell a small story in of themselves (Environmental Storytelling) that allows you to load up the next area while you are moving through them.

It really isn’t complicated nor that challenging to design. But these particular choices have become a crutch for lazy/bad design.
But games use all of those and more. Squeeze spaces is just an encompassing term for a transition into a new area.

GOW probably only had literal squeezing through a cave wall a handful of times
Other times its opening a big gate or a bridge collapsing.

Explain how that's bad design
They're just annoyed because the character is stuck and you don't have control. Sometimes people who don't like one thing forget to see why it exists at all, having a break somewhere is a good thing. Having enclosed areas (quite big a lot of times) for fights is good too, because in openworld games where you don't have this you can always cheese the fichts, also it gives a direction to the fight (this is not just random stuff happening, so it's more coherent).

There only scenario where they cold be used as loading area is in the ps4 version... I just don't see why, in any scenario, any next gen system would need that much time to load something (anything).

So, the forum people are crazy and the dev is right

Why do people always have extremely high standards when it comes to PlayStation games?
Because they set the bar for the rest of the industry in many ways.

However this thread is strange, I wonder if that will transpire in some lazy review.

People kept complaining about backtracking, QTEs (guilty, but never easy ones), etc.

Gamers are whiners, sometimes they're just not that intelligent too.
Well paced games achieve that by having a variety of moments that are slow, empty, puzzle focused, action focused, story focused. All of it culminates together. Pushing through a crack in the wall is no different than running down a hallway in an FPS between combat portions
You don't sound like someone who has played god of war.
Fanboys on twitter are trying to make a new Craig meme on Ragnraok lol.
That would explain a lot, that probably comes from an MS marketing or one of the Discords.
10 sec is too long and enough to make me put down controller and just push the stick.
Confused Superbowl GIF by Republic Records

Yes, squeeze for more than 3 seconds and I completely forget what I was doing, drop three controller and go do something else, then get lost while walking down the street. This is just who I am.

I don't have a good response to give you guys, because the answer is in the tweet.

I'm willing to make fun of fat Thor or wonder how that little black girl ended up so far North without her parents (bad black parenting stereotype right there, that should come up in a socially minded review).

But this? You guys can probably do better, at least a little bit.

All I know is be careful what you wish for. The Mass Effect 1 elevators sucked, but at least you got witty banter out of them. You know what you got in the sequels, load screens fucking everywhere.

jm89

The only time I got annoyed by squeeze through cracks is in ff7 remake. Having to go back and forth between places that had that was annoying as hell. Linear games where it's one way not a big deal for me.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

This becomes an issue when God of War Ragnarok is coming out… So does cross gen games….. But Elden Ring was fine.
You cant be more obvious with the bias lol

Mobilemofo

Just wanted to nip in and say I have no issue with the squeeze through thing. Often use it as a break to make brews, evaluate my strategy (and life 😄)

MetalRain

I think players have need for closure and making areas "less together" with narrow corridors or slow moving cracks supports that.

For example in Dragon's Dogma (which is capable of making wide open areas as well) there is narrow pass through the mountains from starting area to main hub area. This separates these areas in players mind as "now I'm finished with tutorial, real Dragons Dogma starts here".

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

@01011001 the forced slow walks was one of the things that irked me about GoTG. In that particular case it did break the immersion. Seems like there would be thousands of different ways to stop a player from going backwards or forwards, find some that don't make it feel like you've quit playing. If it's a loading thing, they know how fast your character can move in general and how much time they need, create that tunnel, corridor, or path in the forest that is long enough to get the job done without altering the control over the player. If the player takes their time getting to the end or runs flat out wouldn't make a difference. At the very least, mix it up and don't keep doing the same thing over and over again.

Better yet, make a game out of it. Those something chasing you from behind segments can be fun.

Last edited:

Razvedka

Banned
I can absolutely believe that 'crack squeezing' performs a variety of functions for a game developer. I struggle to believe, though, that tackling issues of loading wasn't its primary goal and everything else (all other 'benefits) isn't secondary to this primary function. Nor that there aren't better ways of achieving these other objectives thanks to new technologies.

FBeeEye

Banned
Asobo and other devs are still using last gen engines. Any game releasing this year was still targeting last gen systems early in their development, so the engine will still include these "hidden" loading screens.

This is baked into the game design so devs can't get around this. Asobo will have to use an updated engine targeting current gen storage specs and design the next game with this in mind. That's a 4-5 year deal there.

This is just straight waffling. Squeeze-throughs are a relic from the old days of constrained resources and have no place on modern systems. End of.

You have to do something. Platter drives are that slow. The cracks are definitely better than loading screens.

As for FF7R, it's only really obnoxious in the first chapter. They hide it better in the later chapters.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
You have to do something. Platter drives are that slow. The cracks are definitely better than loading screens.

As for FF7R, it's only really obnoxious in the first chapter. They hide it better in the later chapters.

The slums chapter is fucking atrocious with the slow 'we're hiding a load time here' stuff.

As someone said above, FFVII R is the one big notable game in recent years that made this trope very obvious.

I appreciated TLoU 2's approach where load times were hidden behind cut-scenes so you never experience a lul in your first run through. But if you are replaying the game and skip cut-scenes, you realize just how damn long the game needs to load from black. Some times it's as long as the cut-scenes that are used to mask it.

Top Bottom