• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Windows Central] Xbox's biggest crisis right now isn't games. It's hardware.

I still remember the days of SNES owners saying how much better their version of SF2 was down to nothing more than colours and sound samples and Mega Drive owners saying how much better their version of EA Hockey was.

Its nothing really new
The genesis version of SF2 played better than the snes. There was more animation and the combos were more true to the arcade.

BootsLoader

Banned
spbsMQq.jpg

If You Say So Shrug GIF
Gold! 🥇

b0uncyfr0

X hardware is top notch honestly.

Games are a different story. MS banked on GP and I think that's not enough.

3rd party, 1st party - it all means absolutely nothing to a consumer. I want good looking games that don't repeat the same formula. Switch it up.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I don't really give a shit about this but I just found it funny how the twitter guy who wrote this is like a literal embodiment of the consoomer meme, lol.

Allandor

Well switch should never have been sold that good by that logic.
It is not the hardware, games and good marketing are king in that area.
The series s is good enough. E.g. R&C on Steam-Deck proves that. It does not need to look good, it has to be fun.

Edit: the quote was not intended

Last edited:

Goliath77

Well switch should never have been sold that good by that logic.
It is not the hardware, games and good marketing are king in that area.
The series s is good enough. E.g. R&C on Steam-Deck proves that. It does not need to look good, it has to be fun.
You have either misunderstood me or you have just countered your own argument. The switch sold really well because of the games. What I am saying is that it always comes down to releasing a steady flow of good games, it isnt really about the hardware so much

Allandor

You have either misunderstood me or you have just countered your own argument. The switch sold really well because of the games. What I am saying is that it always comes down to releasing a steady flow of good games, it isnt really about the hardware so much
That's what I wrote...
And I was not answering you, I wrote my opinion on the topic.

Hardware is just not important at all (well only if it is part of the gameplay like the Wii)

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
That's what I wrote...
And I was not answering you, I wrote my opinion on the topic.

Hardware is just not important at all (well only if it is part of the gameplay like the Wii)

Hardware is important when the platform holder doesn't know what direction they want to go in. The Series S is Xbox's real next-gen console. That's confusing.

Allandor

Why

Why quote me then?

Anyway ultimately we agree anyway it seems :)
Sry, I guess I quoted you by accident in my first post :)

WiiU is also a system that shows that software is important. At the beginning Nintendo had almost nothing and third party almost ignored it. It was much later that Nintendo delivered many good games, but the hype was already over.
And yes, many consumers didn't understand if this was s new console or just an addon...
And it was quite expensive for that time.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Series x is a beast. No denying it. Awesome hardware, size, power, performance per watt. Its unmatched.

Problem is games.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Sry, I guess I quoted you by accident in my first post :)

WiiU is also a system that shows that software is important. At the beginning Nintendo had almost nothing and third party almost ignored it. It was much later that Nintendo delivered many good games, but the hype was already over.
And yes, many consumers didn't understand if this was s new console or just an addon...
And it was quite expensive for that time.
Software was an issue, but the problem with the Wii U was it's name. I will die on that hill. They completely and utterly failed to differentiate it between and the Wii.

I cannot believe Nintendo thought that name was a good idea.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I don't think the hardware is the issue. Series X is a powerful, beautifully designed piece of hardware that should be able to match PS5 price points when optimised.

The real issue is the absolute lack of differentiation to previous generation, poor branding and lack of compelling exclusives.

Microsoft tried to obfuscate the difference between generations with the result that people didn't feel compelled to upgrade. Then they had to fess up that the new games don't work on previous generation of consoles, so they put a Series X logo on the boxes. But they also have Series S, which often is not seen on boxes. While Sony has had iconic, high quality exclusives that have inspired people, Microsoft has mostly neglected or mismanaged its big franchises, Forza aside.

The only good thing they have going is GamePass, that would be a real differentiator and innovation, would they have the exclusives Sony has.

I own two Series Xs and one Series S. Last time they saw action was Elden Ring, and I am now hoping I started that on PS5. Other than that, I have not really felt compelled to fire mine up.

tldr - the hardware is not the problem, its' branding, innovation and games

starfield-box-art-hd-v0-v7rb3cwibns91.jpg

u_10230554.jpg

Look at this terrible fucking branding. It says Series X twice. Once with even its own logo and once with a text. Series S is not mentioned once, even though ostensibly it is the most sold console SKU.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Series x is a beast. No denying it. Awesome hardware, size, power, performance per watt. Its unmatched.

Problem is games.
I have both systems and on paper the XSX should offer a superior game experience over the PS5 when it comes to 3rd party games. Much to my surprise, in those instances where I've played a game on both systems, they have been virtually indistinguishable. The PS5 may run a game at 1800p, while the XSX may run at 4K, but on a couch that difference is tough to notice. Plus, I've read that PS5 is often coded to the metal, while the Xbox games are coded to the API, which does cost some performance, BUT makes porting and future compatibility much easier.

Don't worry. The xbox brigade tells me those games are coming. Phil Spencer and Matt Booty have been leading the helm for over 10 years now. Surely, this will be the year they can pull it off! They allowed truly talented people like Bonnie Ross to run the most highly successful studio, 343 Industries to high critical acclaim.
Starfield is going to bring in 10 billion subscribers that will never cancel and then we will have a Sony crushing big exclusive every 3 months!

All sarcasm aside, I'll believe it when I see it and I will have to see it for a while before I believe they have turned a corner. I have never seen a instance where incompetent people suddenly become competent. Phil Spencer has been good at being a spokesperson, but Jim Ryan proves that you don't need a good spokesman, you need good games.

I believe Starfield is just as likely to have the same technical issues that other Bethesda games have had at launch. Not to mention that this has been a pretty poor year for PC ports. My faith is shaken.

skit_data

Edit: I know Remedy devs talked about this before but bringing the subject matter up again pretty much underlines the initial response from some developers and that the situation hasn't really changed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom