• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Windows Central] Xbox's biggest crisis right now isn't games. It's hardware.

Microsoft's hardware strategy for the Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S was promising coming out of the gate back in 2020. But now it's 2023. An unexpected global pandemic, an unprecedented chip shortage, and an upheaval of tech supply chains have impacted both console firms. In terms of hardware sales, PlayStation has come out swinging, though. Microsoft has ... well, not. Microsoft announced just yesterday that Xbox hardware had seen another quarterly decline, although it reflects figures from before its announcement of boosted supplies last June.

I noted in the intro that Sony has a 2:1 advantage over the Xbox Series X|S, but it's actually a little worse than that.

I was quite bullish on the Xbox Series S strategy in the early days. On paper, it makes a lot of sense to have a more affordable SKU that can potentially target students, younger gamers, the gift market, and stuff like that. The Xbox Series S makes up a significant chunk of the Xbox Series X|S player base, although we don't know exactly by how much.

I thought it was a good strategy, but unfortunately, it seems to have come at the expense of the more powerful, direct-PS5 competitor Xbox Series X, which increasingly doesn't seem to have the install base developers and, perhaps Microsoft, need it to have. So, for third-party developers, not only is developing for the Xbox Series X|S lineup more expensive (having to test and maintain two separate versions), it also comes with poorer margins, since you're obviously going to sell far less on Xbox Series X|S. The "S" version will also showcase games at their worst, which is not something developers would want to do ideally, making it easier for PlayStation to land marketing deals.

Much ado was made about the power gap between the PS5 and the Xbox Series X at launch. On paper, the Xbox Series X is "more powerful" than the PS5, but we've yet to really see that manifest into actual results. Outside of Gears 5 and Forza, Microsoft hasn't really produced games that are truly visually impressive generally, with the spectacular license we've seen out of games like Horizon Forbidden West and Final Fantasy 16. Additionally, analysts like Digital Foundry repeatedly cite the Xbox Series X versions of games as having slightly worse performance than their PS5 counterparts.

Developers have begun more openly complaining about the Xbox Series S' power as well. Larian Studios' noted that Microsoft's policies of Xbox Series X|S launch parity are preventing it from shipping Baldur's Gate 3 day and date on Xbox, since the Xbox Series S' lack of power is incompatible with the game's couch co-op features. Microsoft itself scrapped the split-screen co-op for Halo Infinite, probably for the same reason. Despite this, Microsoft has sent out engineers to Larian to see if it's something that's possible to achieve. Other developers have also complained about the console over the past few years, and as we head deeper into the generation, and games become more complex, it's going to become an ever-increasingly fraught issue.

We've already seen games struggle to hit 4K60 on the Xbox Series X and PS5, including Microsoft's own Starfield, and Plague Tale Requiem last year. Meanwhile, Microsoft is struggling to get current-gen games running on its cheap and cheerful Xbox Series S. That's a major problem that will only get worse as the generation follows the market leader, Sony, into higher fidelity gaming.

I wrote recently about how Microsoft's horizontal expansion efforts were distracting them from the Xbox console experience, and I can't help but feel like Xbox Cloud Gaming has to shoulder a large portion of that blame.

Again, I was quite bullish on Xbox Cloud Gaming in previous years. With everyone switching from DVDs to Netflix, it makes total and complete sense that gaming would go down the same route, right? Well, maybe not. The laws of physics are a tricky thing. When you combine the expenses of actually running global server farms to power the cloud, the cost of content acquisition, and the requirement to have near-perfect network circumstances to get even the most vaguely tolerable experience, increasingly I think Xbox Cloud Gaming was a red herring.

Much like the Xbox Series S, it seems that Xbox Cloud Gaming has been at the expense of the Xbox Series X. Microsoft hasn't really made any secret of the fact that Xbox Cloud Gaming is powered by Xbox Series X chips. One of Microsoft's biggest issues since launch has been stock levels, which have been dismal since before the pandemic even. After the pandemic, things still aren't great overall, despite the fact Sony has, once again, plowed ahead and seen triple-digit year-over-year sell-through.

It's not quite as dire as some would expect and predict, of course. 21 million consoles all grabbing FIFA, Fortnite, and Call of Duty microtransactions generates quite absurd levels of revenue, still. And on paper, the console strategy is sound. Xbox Series S would have been a great additive. Xbox Cloud Gaming as well, would have been a great additive. The problem is that it feels like both have detracted from Xbox, rather than helped it.

The engineering effort required for Xbox Cloud Gaming has seen the pace of updates to the Xbox dashboard slow to a crawl, with the console becoming all but featureless despite Microsoft's software legacy. We used to have a clip editor baked into the system. We used to have picture-in-picture video viewing. We used to have TV pass-through and onboard voice commands. We used to have cool Avatar games. We used to have innovation. Now, the best Microsoft can offer is slightly resized Xbox tiles after literal years of begging for it. Forget streaming to YouTube, sharing to socials, or new Xbox achievements features — enjoy your new tiles.

However,
on the off chance Microsoft can somehow truly crack cloud gaming, break the Google-Apple business model-blocking duopoly, and circumvent the latency issues preventing it from being truly fun — they'll be better placed than most to take advantage. In the near term, the Xbox Series X local hardware install base is really the main problem.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Outside of Gears 5 and Forza, Microsoft hasn't really produced games that are truly visually impressive generally

Craig.jpeg

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Hardware sales decline is not great for MS, but I think they almost completely misdiagnose the problem. Without the Series S I think they'd be significantly further behind their current sales targets. The Series S is saving them from being basically destroyed right now. It allows people to try Gamepass and Xbox as a 2nd console if they're unsure about it, rather than spending $500 twice, which most people are not going to do.

I don't think Baldur's Gate 3 splitscreen is quite the huge deal its been painted as in enthusiast press circles. I just don't think it's that big of a deal. They'll figure it out.

I don't understand what they're even talking about as far as the Xbox UI not having innovation. PS5 UI is exactly the same as launch. Xbox UI just changed and it's worse; should have just left it alone. Sounds like a totally absurd paragraph.

It's true they haven't had any flagship AAA graphics IP ready to go, and that's a big issue for lots of people apparently. They have the studios for it, it's just taking too long. The pieces are in place, but it's just taking too much time.

If I had to actually try and suggest 1 thing they're missing, it's support studios that speed up development on software.

Vox Machina

Banned
Hard to sell hardware when you're not putting out enough games. Xbox choosing to bow out from the AAA timed-exclusivity race is what's effecting them the most here. Their studio purchases will pay off but that will take time.

Edit: And yeah, Cloud Gaming was a giant red herring that nobody actually wants to pay money for. They need to drop that shit yesterday (seems like they have, as they're no longer shuttling XSX motherboards into XCloud).

Last edited:

Red5

Wonder how feasible it would be for MS to offer a trade in path for Xbox Series S towards Series X at a discount and discontinue the S.

Wrong, its software. It always comes back to software.

That problem is being remedied through acquisitions, be interesting to see how many units Starfield and future Bethesda titles shift.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Hard to sell hardware when you're not putting out enough games. Xbox choosing to bow out from the AAA timed-exclusivity race is what's effecting them the most here. Their studio purchases will pay off but that will take time.
Like it paid off Rare and Lionhead?

It amazes me that anyone can have faith in MS when they have demonstrated that they run those studios in the ground.

Until i see otherwise, I'd say its more likely that Bethesda flops under MS than flourishes.

I hope I am wrong as I love Bethesda franchises.

Vox Machina

Banned
Like it paid off Rare and Lionhead?

It amazes me that anyone can have faith in MS when they have demonstrated that they run those studios in the ground.

Until i see otherwise, I'd say its more likely that Bethesda flops under MS than flourishes.

I hope I am wrong as I love Bethesda franchises.

Rare did go through a rough patch it seems, but they're thriving right now with SoT. Lionhead RIP.

The Alien

Banned
Meh. I just play on my Xbox and have fun. I don't believe XBox is in an eternally, goal-post changing set of crises.

They just nailed down the ABK deal (a $70B investment) and also just released their financials showing growth and, in some metrics, posted their 2nd best quarter ever.....but crisis. These tired crisis threads always make me laugh as 80% of the responses are clearly from the blue camp.

xBlueStonex

They really need to update their branding. Drop the whole 'Series' nonsense, and just name it Xbox 4 so it's clear what generation it is. I still have family members who have no clue what to buy their kids because the naming has been downright terrible since the Xbox One announce.

They'd also be selling better if they offered a $400 all digital Series X to sit as a middle tier. I'd scoop one up in a second.

Vox Machina

Banned
Yep, I was totally wrong Conker, Banjo & Kazooie, and Perfect Dark are all flourishing under MS.

Oh wait...

Not to mention that they have let Halo get run into the ground.

You just named IPs, not devs. It's okay to let IPs take a rest. Not only that but if your actual concern is the current status of the IPs then I'm glad to inform you that Perfect Dark is literally in active development.

Last edited:
I am increasingly stunned at how similar Microsoft of today is to Sega during the mid '90s in terms of incompetent console brand management.

There's a lot to actually get into on the parallels; I mentioned it years back but in light of new Sega info (thanks, leaks!), I think it deserves a revisit. Some people aren't going to like the parallels but they 1000% exist between the two. History often repeats itself in odd ways.

They really need to update their branding. Drop the whole 'Series' nonsense, and just name it Xbox 4 so it's clear what generation it is. I still have family members who have no clue what to buy their kids because the naming has been downright terrible since the Xbox One announce.

They'd also be selling better if they offered a $400 all digital Series X to sit as a middle tier. I'd scoop one up in a second.

I don't think they can redesign the Series X APU without also redesigning the Series S APU, since they share the same wafer fabs. This was brought to my attention by someone else, but it sounds very plausible.

I have other reasons why we haven't seen a Series X as you described, partly being the associated costs with Microsoft's APUs, partly due to very low sales volumes which makes economies of scale very difficult for Microsoft to leverage.

Last edited:

Red5

Yep, I was totally wrong Conker, Banjo & Kazooie, and Perfect Dark are all flourishing under MS.

Oh wait...

Not to mention that they have let Halo get run into the ground.

A game doesn't flourish a studio does? Rare is having its most successful years with Sea of Thieves raking in cash and attracting millions of younger players. Conker, Banjo are all amazing but they will never do Sea of Thieves numbers.

Launching the console with NOTHING in 2020 while your rival has Spiderman Miles Morales, Demons soul remake, sackboy adventure, then between Halo infinite Dec 2021 and starfield sept 2023 (almost 2 years) you don't get AAA sell consoles (only Hifi rush and Redfail), well It is normal that you have completely killed the sales inertia and you are doing worse than ONE, in the USA since September of last year PS5 sells 2:1 compared to Xbox.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
SW sells HW. Just ask Nintendo.

Except for the WiiU the excellent SW did not overcome the confusing form factor. But Wii U Mario kart is the greatest of all time on the Switch.

Last edited:
Nah their biggest issue is incompetent studio management. The hardware (at least series X wise) is excellent.

You didn't read the OP, did you?

The argument isn't about Xbox hardware quality. The main argument is that Xbox hardware is selling like shit and XSS is holding them back by presenting games at their worst while also increasing the cost of development for Xbox platforms.

That said, I agree with you. Xbox studio management IS their biggest issue, absolutely.

Last edited:
Meh. I just play on my Xbox and have fun. I don't believe XBox is in an eternally, goal-post changing set of crises.

They just nailed down the ABK deal (a $70B investment) and also just released their financials showing growth

What growth? You call missing targets by 50% showing sufficient growth? Some of their growth is effectively within margin of error, and to investors & shareholders, would look like zero growth when compared to competitors.

The console division is stagnating, and this is with having Zenimax revenue and assets rolled into it now (they are 100% included for accounting purposes under Xbox, even if structurally they are limited-integration).

Also the ABK deal hasn't been finalized yet. It's like 90% assured, but that still isn't 100%.

and, in some metrics, posted their 2nd best quarter ever

Nope.

.....but crisis. These tired crisis threads always make me laugh as 80% of the responses are clearly from the blue camp.

If you're on track to underperform OG Xbox's 3rd year sales of 6.2 million with your fourth console generation, and effectively losing market share gen-over-gen, then yeah, there might be a problem growing that needs an honest evaluation. Not a hand-waiving.

All I can say is the 180 from before this gen started to now is something......is the Series S honeymoon over?

The honeymoon was over the moment they started aggressive Series S promotions in late Summer 2022.

If not that point, then surely when the NPD leaks occurred last winter.

Last edited:
Xbox just should drop out of the console race with the little dignity they have (if any). and try to actually fulfill their "Endgame" of reaching every gamer everywhere.

Release games on PS, Nintendo, PC, Mobile and Streaming. It seems the console is counterproductive to that vision.

RespawnX

they are the sides of the same coin, genius.
No games = no hardware
No hardware = no games

Games sell hardware (and game pass)

Funny thing, Sony is so struggling with 1st party output but Microsoft even more. And what they do have, they market rather poorly (hi-fi rush) or bet on the wrong horse (vampire co-op shooter which name I already forgot).

Microsoft is now even failing in their top discipline, the multiplayer titles.

Management really needs to get some heads rolling, and not just at studios like 343.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
You just named IPs, not devs. It's okay to let IPs take a rest. Not only that but if your actual concern is the current status of the IPs then I'm glad to inform you that Perfect Dark is literally in active development.
You really want to make the argumement that MS has done a goob job with Rare.

Perfect Dark has been in development for many fucking years undergoing constant issues....

Jesus Christ....

Arumat

Banned
What growth? You call missing targets by 50% showing sufficient growth? Some of their growth is effectively within margin of error, and to investors & shareholders, would look like zero growth when compared to competitors.

The console division is stagnating, and this is with having Zenimax revenue and assets rolled into it now (they are 100% included for accounting purposes under Xbox, even if structurally they are limited-integration).

Also the ABK deal hasn't been finalized yet. It's like 90% assured, but that still isn't 100%.

Nope.

If you're on track to underperform OG Xbox's 3rd year sales of 6.2 million with your fourth console generation, and effectively losing market share gen-over-gen, then yeah, there might be a problem growing that needs an honest evaluation. Not a hand-waiving.

The honeymoon was over the moment they started aggressive Series S promotions in late Summer 2022.

If not that point, then surely when the NPD leaks occurred last winter.
Except if your that dumb fuck Crapgamer than 1% Is considered fucking excellent LMAO 💀

Top Bottom