• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Treme - the creators of The Wire look at life in New Orleans - S3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sonny pretty much has to put a ring on Lin's finger. Its the only way; especially if Lin is the youngest daughter of the household. Vietnamese are very protective; they want to know that family will be taken care of; that's the only way they can leave the household. I totally called Lin's dad tagging along with their night in the city. I was laughing my ass off.

CrankyJay

Banned
Sonny pretty much has to put a ring on Lin's finger. Its the only way; especially if Lin is the youngest daughter of the household. Vietnamese are very protective; they want to know that family will be taken care of; that's the only way they can leave the household. I totally called Lin's dad tagging along with their night in the city. I was laughing my ass off.

I got a kick out of that too. He was having a good time. Haha.

New episode tonight:
Me Donkey Want Water

Janette, Aunt Mimi and Annie commit to new deals; Toni searches for a killer; L.P. Everett meets his victim's family; Antoine plays in Texas; Sonny plays music closer to home.

- Sepinwall's review
- Treme explained

- ProPublica Podcast: David Simon, A.C. Thompson Talk About Fictionalizing a Real Life Investigation
On Sept. 18, David Simon and his Treme co-creater/executive producer Eric Overmyer joined our A.C. Thompson and New York University's Joe Pichirallo for a conversation about how they turned Thompson's investigative work into a story line for the new season of the HBO show.

We excerpted the talk for this podcast. The group discussed how Simon and Overmyer first met Thompson over dinner, why they modeled a new cast member after Thompson but didn't use his name for the character, how it's difficult to assign motivation to a real-life person and how Thompson helped the creative duo keep the "L. P. Everett" character honest. They also veered off on riffs about "the copy desk nightmare" and their hardcore/metal musical choices.
Might be some spoilers in here.

kassatsu

Banned
Another great episode, another dead night on the thread.

Can't decide if it will be Janette or Annie that gets screwed on their deal first

CrankyJay

Banned
Another great episode, another dead night on the thread.

Can't decide if it will be Janette or Annie that gets screwed on their deal first

Yeah. Both of the men in these situations seem shady.

As for Annie you get a sense that maybe Davis is starting to realize she will eventually slip away from being on the road so much. He's kind of a selfish jerk anyway with the way he prioritized his own self interests whether its his passion project or just going to see bands he wants to see.

Antoine is such a dog, lol, and his wife called it. Dog off the leash...

And poor Albert. =(

kingocfs

Yeah. Both of the men in these situations seem shady.

As for Annie you get a sense that maybe Davis is starting to realize she will eventually slip away from being on the road so much. He's kind of a selfish jerk anyway with the way he prioritized his own self interests whether its his passion project or just going to see bands he wants to see.

Antoine is such a dog, lol, and his wife called it. Dog off the leash...

And poor Albert. =(

I don't know if I see Davis as selfish as much as he's just too embedded in the traditional music culture of that city to fit anywhere else. I agree that Annie's career will eventually whisk her away from NO, and Davis is definitely not following her, but I don't really see that as a bad move on his part. It'd be different if he starts having a problem with Annie doing her thing, though.

New episode tonight:
The Greatest Love

L.P. continues to dig deeper into his investigation of police cover-ups and corruption after Katrina, but worries that his work is starting to attract some unwanted attention. Meanwhile, Janette interviews applicants for her kitchen, but frowns on Tim's choices for the front of the house; Delmond talks to a developer about a music project and helps Albert find medical assistance; LaDonna and Larry go house hunting; and Nelson feels left out of the lucrative business deals he's sure are coming.

God, this show is so good. The cops shadowing Everett all over the place- talk about feeling uncomfortable. That episode was shot really well too.

Show is still good. But stuff like Davis keeps me from enjoying it these days. He's just such a boring and useless character. I don't give a shit about his musical endeavors at all.

Do we know if they'll cover the BP Horizon Oil Spill? Because as I'm watching Janette's storyline (I've always liked her; but now more than ever since I started working in an actual kitchen); a part of me thinks that her new restaurant will actually take off and then the oil spill happens which fucks up all local seafood.

Greg

Show is still good. But stuff like Davis keeps me from enjoying it these days. He's just such a boring and useless character. I don't give a shit about his musical endeavors at all.
Really? I know the culture/music/history are all tied together, but I'm most interested in the bits of the show that revolve around the music. He's one of my favorite characters now because his storyline is less dictated by the events of the city.

Anthony Anderson finally showed up this week at the end of the episode.

God, this show is so good. The cops shadowing Everett all over the place- talk about feeling uncomfortable. That episode was shot really well too.
Yeah, there was a huge feeling of dread in a number of scenes this week - both from the cops and the possibly failing relationships of a few characters.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Such an amazing episode. I really do wish this show was more popular, I'm totally in love with it.

Dachande

That last episode was some scary shit. All the cop intimidation scenes had me cringing.

I love how in this season, Antoine's wife has become more fleshed out and actually has her own storyline dealing with Nelson and his shady deals rather than just being a support character.

Also, LaDonna is still amazing. No one messes with her.

Amir0x

Banned
CygnusXS said:
People will discover and love this show in 3 years, after it's over. Good news guys, we all get to be Treme hipsters!

Can I be a Treme hipster too? I've been watching this show since day 1. But I always catch the show on Monday night instead of opening night, 'cause there's too many Sunday shows. I'm not sure if this disqualifies me or not.

Anthony Anderson finally showed up this week at the end of the episode.

Yeah, there was a huge feeling of dread in a number of scenes this week - both from the cops and the possibly failing relationships of a few characters.
I won't lie... that scared me more than the cops.

Amir0x

Banned
So what is this show comparable to? I'm thinking about watching it.

Really, the thematic direction is similar to The Wire in that this is fundamentally a show about a city, only it's New Orleans instead of Baltimore. But it's not similar to anything else: long ponderous sections of the regional music, which you may or may not enjoy depending on your taste, married to fantastic character development centered around what it takes to recover when your city literally drowns. And specifically, it's about trying to recover the soul of an entire culture.

It's really good most of the time.

New episode tonight:
I Thought I Heard Buddy Bolden Say

Desiree's mother's house collapses; Annie's parents learn about her record deal; Albert's children find out about his lymphoma; Toni appeals to a police captain; Janette has a reunion.

CrankyJay

Banned
Really, the thematic direction is similar to The Wire in that this is fundamentally a show about a city, only it's New Orleans instead of Baltimore. But it's not similar to anything else: long ponderous sections of the regional music, which you may or may not enjoy depending on your taste, married to fantastic character development centered around what it takes to recover when your city literally drowns. And specifically, it's about trying to recover the soul of an entire culture.

It's really good most of the time.

Spending a long weekend in New Orleans for a buddy's bachelor party and seeing a bunch of the restaurants and musical venues really made the show real for me. Seeing cameos on the show by people I just recently saw in person makes the show so much more real.

I always like to describe the show as a look in on the lives of people in the city. The city is as much a character as the cast.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Man, the police look like shit this season. If the effect they were going for was to make the police something that inspires fear rather than safety, they've done a good job. I wonder if there's been any reaction from the actual police to the arc this season? At least last season had Colson to show "good police" as it were. Here, even he is fed up with the entire system.

- Final 'Treme' season to feature five episodes
Sepinwall said:
Last month, HBO ordered a fourth and final season of "Tremé," giving creators David Simon and Eric Overmyer a lump sum of money to stretch as far as they could. At the time, Simon told me they would likely be able to make somewhere between 4 and 6 episodes, and today it was announced that the creative team had split the difference and settled on 5.

A post on the show's Facebook page (which I confirmed with HBO) says "Strike up the band. Production on the 5-episode final season of Treme begins November 5th."

The current season still has 5 episodes to go, starting with one this Sunday at 10.

Dachande

Oh man, that's a shame, I wish it was a full season. But at the same time, I'd rather have 5 episodes full of excellence than 10 of half-greatness and half-filler.

I'm glad it's lasted this long, really. It doesn't seem to have really found a large audience like The Wire did, but those of us who are fans are quite dedicated. I wonder what David Simon has planned next?

Oh man, that's a shame, I wish it was a full season. But at the same time, I'd rather have 5 episodes full of excellence than 10 of half-greatness and half-filler.

I'm glad it's lasted this long, really. It doesn't seem to have really found a large audience like The Wire did, but those of us who are fans are quite dedicated. I wonder what David Simon has planned next?

Did The Wire ever really find a large audience? I'm sure the DVD sets sell decently, and vastly outsell the sets for Treme, but almost nobody watched it when it was originally airing.

Yeah The Wire didn't really find it's audience until later too. I'm amazed it got to it's full 5 seasons.

this one, I'd be sad to hear this news last season since S2 was so good. But I'm not feeling Season 3 at all, it's just dull to me right now.

Brinbe

Eh, it's not perfect but considering the circumstances, five eps is fine. I'm loving this season so far and I appreciate that I/we're getting anything at all knowing that we're part of the couple dozen people that even follow and love this show.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Eh, it's not perfect but considering the circumstances, five eps is fine. I'm loving this season so far and I appreciate that I/we're getting anything at all knowing that we're part of the couple dozen people that even follow and love this show.

Word. I'm converting my SO into a fan though I think, so there's one more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom