• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jazz funerals, normally a 'celebration of life,' are silenced: New Orleans grieves differently now

From an early age, Ellis Marsalis III knew what grief in New Orleans sounded like.

The shuffle of leather shoes walking a lost soul to the grave. The slow wailing of a brass band setting the pace. Some Sundays he chased the sound, his ear catching the mournful notes of “Just a Closer Walk with Thee.” And when he heard the music switch from a somber dirge to an upbeat rhythm, he knew it was time to join in.

“Once a person is buried, you have the second line. It’s the party. The good time. The celebration of life,” Marsalis III said. “It’s a community’s responsibility to celebrate the life of someone. Even if I didn’t know them, I pull out my umbrella, get my best dancing shoes on, and we’re gonna have a good time.”

In traditional jazz funerals, that moment between grief and catharsis when the deceased is lowered into the ground and the family says a final farewell is known as “cutting the body loose.”

Just as a casket feels lighter if more hands are carrying it, that metamorphosis of a private funeral march into a jubilant, street-winding second line is a way to process the death of one by joining arms with many. And for generations it’s been an important way to cope for the city’s historic black neighborhoods that through fires, plagues, and countless hurricane seasons have had to get used to saying goodbye.

But the novel coronavirus pandemic has put jazz funerals on hold at a time when communities need it most.

belmarduk

Well, they're going to have to start changing their diets a bit.
Obesity is a major factor is coronavirus morbidity, which is seven times higher in New Orleans than New York.

oagboghi2

Obesity is a major factor is coronavirus morbidity, which is seven times higher in New Orleans than New York.
The fuck kind of response is this?

You're take away from this unique cultural tradition is "well, they are fat."

Last edited:

belmarduk

The fuck kind of response is this?

You're take away from this unique cultural tradition is "well, they are fat."

Yes. The coronavirus is why they haven't had many jazz funerals lately. New Orleans is a hotspot for the disease and they will have to change many of their traditions in the near future, unfortunately.

oagboghi2

Why would the coronavirus prevent them from dancing at a general? You do know this isn't going to last forever right

the song started playing in my head as soon as i was 70% into reading the thread title

now its in my head all day

and now yours too

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

You DO realize that many people who've died don't have underlying conditions, right? Not obesity, heart disease or any other Illness...

Also, even if they have underlying conditions, why would you go STRAIGHT for obesity? All black people are fat? WTH, man?

Grinchy

Banned
Yeah, weddings aren't happening, funerals aren't happening, lots of things aren't happening. We know already. You could write 100 different articles about the 100 different things that aren't happening because people can't group up.

belmarduk

You DO realize that many people who've died don't have underlying conditions, right? Not obesity, heart disease or any other Illness...

Also, even if they have underlying conditions, why would you go STRAIGHT for obesity? All black people are fat? WTH, man?

Obesity is a factor in hospitalizations and death involving coronavirus.

Race is irrelevant here. What is relevant is that New Olreans has a very high obesity rate.

Top Bottom