• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Treme - the creators of The Wire look at life in New Orleans - S3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Makes me sad this is only a barely 4 page thread with the amount of trash tv that GAF fawns over.

Love observing these characters in their world every week

Blackhead

Redarse
Davis and Annie seem likely to make it through the holidays together but *sigh*, fucking Sonny.. I forsee a shortgun wedding in his immediate future.

Oh man, that's a shame, I wish it was a full season. But at the same time, I'd rather have 5 episodes full of excellence than 10 of half-greatness and half-filler.
On the other hand I wouldn't want them to rush through a season long storyline in too few episodes like Simon arguably had to do for Season 5 of the Wire. Besides, the 'filler' on Treme consists of legendary musicians playing a set and I can't get enough of that :p

I'm glad it's lasted this long, really. It doesn't seem to have really found a large audience like The Wire did, but those of us who are fans are quite dedicated. I wonder what David Simon has planned next?
I think he's done. :(

New episode tonight:
Careless Love

Sonny misses the boat; Antoine tries to get reading help for Jennifer; Janette endures corporate hell; Toni and L.P. Everett get a witness; Desiree gets a new ally.

kingocfs

I'm surprised they haven't touched on Obama getting elected much at all. Maybe a bit more when he's actually in office? I don't know if he did anything differently to help them but after all of that Bush vitriol from season 1 I thought Davis especially would have something to say. (or sing)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm surprised they haven't touched on Obama getting elected much at all. Maybe a bit more when he's actually in office? I don't know if he did anything differently to help them but after all of that Bush vitriol from season 1 I thought Davis especially would have something to say. (or sing)
My timelines are all messed up... how close are they to the BP oil spill in the show?

The focus seems to be local corruption and making it small scale anyway.

Blackhead

Redarse
My timelines are all messed up... how close are they to the BP oil spill in the show?

The focus seems to be local corruption and making it small scale anyway.

Season 3 started in the fall of 2007 (last episode was set around Christmas '07). Obama wasn't even the frontrunner for the nomination then. There was a also reference to the Bush administration's justice department partisanship in the last episode.

Edit
David Simon earlier said season 4 would be set in late '08 amidst the start of the recession. They might change the timeline given the confirmed series ending 5 episodes but we're unlikely to get to the Oil Spill (2010):
David Simon talks 'Treme,' America, and a possible end to his TV career: 'Maybe I'm in the wrong line of work.' (Inside TV | EW.com)
It’s interesting to hear you say that, since the third season of Treme is set in 2007 — before the start of the Recession.
That’s the reason to do season 4. The allegory is revealed. You get to the fall of Lehman Brothers, and the collapse of the market, and the sudden realization that people were selling s— and calling it gold, which profoundly affected the world economy.

:| does Treme even need to be on HBO's TV schedule?! I'd take a straight-to-Bluray if it meant more episodes...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Season 3 started in the fall of 2007 (last episode was set around Christmas '07). Obama wasn't even the frontrunner for the nomination then. There was a also reference to the Bush administration's justice department partisanship in the last episode.

Edit
David Simon earlier said season 4 would be set in late '08 amidst the start of the recession. They might change the timeline given the confirmed series ending 5 episodes but we're unlikely to get to the Oil Spill (2010):
David Simon talks 'Treme,' America, and a possible end to his TV career: 'Maybe I'm in the wrong line of work.' (Inside TV | EW.com)
:| does Treme even need to be on HBO's TV schedule?! I'd take a straight-to-Bluray if it meant more episodes...

It's really too bad that he won't get to touch on it, considering he's setting it up with the Vietnamese fisherman thing. But what can you do?

And I'm sure this isn't a show that could be kickstarted any time soon. It probably costs millions to make a single episode... although I guess not having to shoot in NYC anymore probably helps some.

Even with the previous reference, never thought I'd see eyehategod on Treme. And in kind of extended fashion no less! Great episode, glad Sonny finally hit rock bottom.

- Waiting for Godot in New Orleans: The Bootleg Video
For five nights in November 2007, artist Paul Chan, working with New York's Classical Theatre of Harlem, and the public arts group Creative Time, staged free site-specific outdoor performances of Samuel Beckett's emblematic play Waiting for Godot in two New Orleanian neighborhoods destroyed by the flooding from the levee breaks during Hurricane Katrina. The play featured Wendell Pierce, a native of New Orleans and star of the HBO television series The Wire. Over 5,000 people attended the performances, one staged in the middle of the street in the Lower Ninth Ward, and the other in front of an abandoned house in the Gentilly neighborhood. The performances were part of the larger project which also consisted of a fund to help local rebuilding and reorganizing efforts, and a series of dinners, lectures, classes, and events that unfolded throughout the city during the fall of 2007. The project was entitled Waiting for Godot in New Orleans: a play in two acts, a project in three parts.

Because Godot was never meant to be seen outside its original context and form, and because of legal issues, there was hardly any video documentation of the performances themselves. But there are some. And tonight, he’ll show them for the first time in New York.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Maybe it's just me, but I wish that the nola.com pieces talked more about the history of the police corruption stuff. Did they basically imply that a transit cop was beat to a pulp and that the police tossed a gun on him to make it look justified? Is that how bad it got down there? It makes The Wire's police force seem absolutely stellar by comparison. :p

Blackhead

Redarse
Maybe it's just me, but I wish that the nola.com pieces talked more about the history of the police corruption stuff. Did they basically imply that a transit cop was beat to a pulp and that the police tossed a gun on him to make it look justified? Is that how bad it got down there? It makes The Wire's police force seem absolutely stellar by comparison. :p
?

"Also:
- Treme Explained: The Promised Land":
Nola.com said:
Colson and Det. Nikolich (Yul Vazquez) arrive at the Beachcorner Bar and Grill to survey the aftermath of this incident. NOPD officers interview a witness (Hunter McGregor)
this incident:
Nola.com said:
New Orleans Police Superintendent Warren Riley on Tuesday denounced several former police officers, saying they were behind the "severe beating" of two city transit workers in a barroom melee more than 20 months ago.

Riley's testimony in the civil service appeal hearings of two officers he fired from the force shed additional light on the explosive incident inside the Beach Corner lounge on Mardi Gras night in 2008, a case that has roiled the department's rank-and-file...

After the hearing Tuesday, Riley said he is "constantly embarrassed" by officers who do "dumb, dumb things" and noted that the NOPD can't seem to go 90 days without an officer misconduct case. He said he is a strict disciplinarian and will continue to dole out punishment to officers guilty of violations.

Yeah, cop aspect of the show is so demoralizing. Because even before reading that report you know shit like that is 100% true. And the murder stuff they're uncovering. It's almost too much when you're cutting it together with Today appearances and Sonny's totally ground level recovery story.

I have to say (Next Week Preview)
LaDonna and Albert "joining forces" against whatever rape creeps have emerged is something I'm really looking forward to.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Figures. Because of the free form nature of the blog, I searched for "police" instead of "officers" or "NOPD". lol

Yeah, cop aspect of the show is so demoralizing. Because even before reading that report you know shit like that is 100% true. And the murder stuff they're uncovering. It's almost too much when you're cutting it together with Today appearances and Sonny's totally ground level recovery story.

I have to say (Next Week Preview)
LaDonna and Albert "joining forces" against whatever rape creeps have emerged is something I'm really looking forward to.

What's funny is that this NOPD stuff makes S5 of The Wire seem reasonable. :p

Vert boil

I need a gif of Annie getting dressed then hopping backwards.

treme1p1qsk.gif
treme2epp4e.gif

treme97bp01.gif

Man I have the biggest crush on Annie. The things I'd do...

Loved this episode. Wish I could go to Mardi Gras sometime. Looks like such a fun amazing time and of course David Simon captures it beautifully. Man it's going to sad when he hangs up his TV hat.

Blackhead

Redarse

haha, those scenes were so much more amusing than titillating. Interesting how the show plays off sexy janette and sweetheart annie. From the characters you'd find it hard to tell that the actresses were
born 20 years apart :O

Other (sexy and then some) sides to Lucia Micarelli:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efZxd3KEnYg
http://www.fhm.com.ph/fhm-tv/sub/most-recent?gid=729

So, New Orleanians, does a Mardi Gras fuck really count as cheating?

New episode tonight:
Don't You Leave Me Here

Desautel's opens; Sonny pawns instruments to buy jewelry; LaDonna is threatened; Sofia is evicted; Terry's popularity declines; Desiree confronts Robinette.

kingocfs

Edit

Man, you're totally right, I've been thinking we were in 2008 for some reason.

Just managed to watch last week's ep - I think this season turned out to be great, all of the storylines are developing really well.

CrankyJay

Banned
Is there any explanation asto what it means when two tribes of Indians meet in the road? Are they supposed to hate one another?

Albert said something to the affect of "it won't go down like this again"...not sure what that meant.

Real meeting...and you can see Clarke Peters in a hat watching it go down: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlETXBzPgNk

http://www.mardigrasneworleans.com/indirank.html

Good shit:

The greeting of the Big Chiefs of two different tribes often starts with a song, chant, ceremonial dance, and threatening challenge to "Humba"--the Big Chief's demand that the other bow and pay respect. The retort is a whoop and equally impressive song and war dance with the reply, "Me no Humba, YOU Humba!"

"You know when you've won, you see it in their eyes." - Larry Bannock

Although there was a history of violence, many now choose to keep this celebration friendly. Each Big Chief will eventually stand back and, with a theatrical display of self-confidence, acknowledge the artistry and craftsmanship of the other's suit.

Before the progression can continue, the two Big Chiefs will often comment privately to one another, "Looking good, baby, looking good!"

"After Mardi Gras, you thank GOD that you made it." - Larry Bannock

Mardi Gras is no longer a day to "settle scores" among the Mardi Gras Indians. Violence is a relic of the past. It is now Mardi Gras tradition and practice for the Indians to simply compare their tribal song, dance and dress with other tribes as they meet that day. Each Indian has invested thousands of hours and dollars in the creation of his suit, and is not willing to risk ruining it in a fight. This tradition, rich with folk art and history, is now appreciated by museums and historical societies around the world. It is a remarkable and welcome change from the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom