• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Treme - the creators of The Wire look at life in New Orleans - S3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
hC43J.jpg

Treme is back for Season 3. The critical acclaimed HBO show about Post-Katrina New Orleans headed up by David Simon (The Wire) returns to the Sunday night lineup at 10pm ET on September 23rd.

HBO said:
From David Simon, creator of 'The Wire' and 'Generation Kill,' and Eric Overmyer, writer-producer of 'Homicide' and 'Law & Order,'  'Treme' is set in post-Katrina New Orleans. It chronicles the struggles of a diverse group of residents as they rebuild their lives and their city. ‘Treme,' pronounced Truh-may, takes its title from the name of one of the city's oldest neighborhoods, an historically important source of African-American music and culture.

Season 1 began in fall of 2005, three months after Hurricane Katrina. Season 2 picks up 14 months after the federal levees failed. While many of the old challenges persist, much has changed. The profiteers have arrived, though the insurance checks haven't. Crime is on the rise, but the ability of the police department to keep pace with the criminals is questionable. Life in New Orleans is getting better, but it's not happening fast enough to keep residents from wondering whether things would be easier, better, elsewhere.

What keeps the city afloat through all of this is its culture. Mardi Gras Indian chief Albert Lambreaux (Clarke Peters) is sewing in preparation for Mardi Gras. The social aid and pleasure clubs are getting ready to hit the streets in their colorful, fast step finery. And those loveable rogues, Davis McAlary (Steve Zahn) and Antoine Batiste (Wendell Pierce) have cooked up a new set of schemes on and off the bandstand.

The ensemble cast of 'Treme' includes:  Wendell Pierce (HBO's 'The Wire,' the HBO documentary 'When the Levees Broke:  A Requiem in Four Acts'); Khandi Alexander ('CSI:  Miami,' HBO's Emmy®-winning 'The Corner'); Clarke Peters ('Damages,' HBO's 'The Wire' and 'The Corner'); Rob Brown ('Stop-Loss,' 'Finding Forrester'); Steve Zahn ('A Perfect Getaway,' 'Sunshine Cleaning'); Kim Dickens (HBO's 'Deadwood'); Melissa Leo (Oscar® winner for 'The Fighter'; Oscar® nominee for 'Frozen River'); Lucia Micarelli; Michiel Huisman ('The Young Victoria'); David Morse ('The Hurt Locker'; HBO's 'John Adams'); India Ennenga, and Jon Seda (the upcoming 'Larry Crowne'; HBO's 'The Pacific'). 

National and Louisiana-based musical performers featured include Dr. John, Juvenile, John Hiatt, Lucia Micarelli, Steve Earle, Shawn Colvin, the subdudes, the Radiators, Henry Butler, Wanda Rouzan, Cyril Neville, Christian Scott, Donald Harrison Jr., Ron Carter, Kermit Ruffins, Rebirth Brass Band, Galactic, Dirty Dozen Brass Band, Hot 8 Brass Band, Leroy Jones, John Boutte, Paul Sanchez, Glen David Andrews, Susan Cowsill, Walter "Wolfman" Washington, Steve Riley, Katey Red, Big Freedia, Sissy Nobby, Ingrid Lucia, Mem Shannon, Al "Carnival Time" Johnson, Tom McDermott, George Porter, Evan Christopher and members of the Pineleaf Boys and Redstick Ramblers, among many others.

'Treme' was created by David Simon and Eric Overmyer; executive producers, David Simon, Nina K. Noble, Eric Overmyer, Carolyn Strauss; Consulting Producers, James Yoshimura and George Pelecanos; supervising producer, Anthony Hemingway; directors, Brad Anderson, Rob Bailey, Adam Davidson, Roxann Dawson, Ernest Dickerson, Anthony Hemingway, Agnieszka Holland, Simon Cellan Jones, Tim Robbins, Alex Zakrzewski; writers, Lolis Eric Elie, Mari Kornhauser, Eric Overmyer, George Pelecanos, Tom Piazza, David Simon, James Yoshimura, Anthony Bourdain.
oxPFy.jpg

New cast members this season include: Anthony Anderson, Chris Coy, and Isabella Rosselinni.

VideosLinks
Upcoming Episodes
- Knock with Me, Rock with Me, Sept 23rd
Antoine Batiste toys with martyrdom; Janette encounters an old nemesis and a new suitor; Delmond and Albert debut their album; Toni meets a new ally; LaDonna struggles with living with her in-laws.
- Saints, Sept 30th
Antoine's students show interest; L.P. Everett gets a new case; LaDonna is forced to move; Hidalgo finds a new angle; Janette's resistance slips; Albert receives news about his health.

k2Hgl.jpg

Details on S3 from David Simon's blog:
  • Number of episodes filmed: 10
  • Number of shooting days: 113 for first unit, plus 10 days of second unit or splinter unit shooting.
  • Number of feet of film shot (excluding the last day of filming, which had not been compiled: 1,165,570
  • Number of feet of film shot for Mardi Gras episode: 165,810
  • Number of total company moves during filming: 280
  • Number of locations: 370
  • Number of no-parking signs posts due to location shooting: 7,000
  • Number of New Orleans restaurants featured: 27
  • Number of restaurants built as sets: 2
  • Number of New Orleans bars featured: 40
  • Number of New Orleans bars built: 1
  • Number of speaking parts, seasons three: 347
  • Number of recurring characters, season three: 95
  • Number of extras: 9,421
  • Number of New Orleans musicians filmed: 371
  • Number of travel memos issued by production office: 383
  • Number of script revisions: 66
  • Number of total script pages: 597
  • Number of times a character says “brah” in dialogue: 21
  • Number of songs performed live: 106
  • Number of petty cash and credit card receipts: 12,149
  • Number of marriages within cast and crew: 2
  • Number of babies born to cast and crew during production: 2
S3 Poster

Does it get better than the cornball first half of the first season, as I never got past the horrid writing, acting and direction.

tokkun

Does it get better than the cornball first half of the first season, as I never got past the horrid writing, acting and direction.

I guess that depends on what you mean by 'cornball'.

My biggest complaint about the show has always been that it is awfully sanctimonious about aspects of New Orleans culture, mostly through these pontificating, Sorkin-esque characters. This is toned down slightly in season 2 with John Goodman's character gone and fewer facepalm scenarios like the Midwestern rubes who are seduced by the power of jazz music, but it's still present. The season has more of a focus on the police and crime, so there is less time spent on self-fellating.

Honestly, The Wire was often guilty of the same sort of thing, but it was easier to forgive the stilted, editorialized dialogue and scenarios when they dealt with significant social issues like unions, education, and the press. It's a little more needling when about New Orleans' inferior jazz, overseasoned food, and shitty bounce music.

Blackhead

Redarse
I guess that depends on what you mean by 'cornball'.

My biggest complaint about the show has always been that it is awfully sanctimonious about aspects of New Orleans culture, mostly through these pontificating, Sorkin-esque characters. This is toned down slightly in season 2 with John Goodman's character gone and fewer facepalm scenarios like the Midwestern rubes who are seduced by the power of jazz music, but it's still present. The season has more of a focus on the police and crime, so there is less time spent on self-fellating.

Honestly, The Wire was often guilty of the same sort of thing, but it was easier to forgive the stilted, editorialized dialogue and scenarios when they dealt with significant social issues like unions, education, and the press. It's a little more needling when about New Orleans' inferior jazz, overseasoned food, and shitty bounce music.
:| treme is also dealing with significant social issues. are musicians not from the same working class as the dockers? we had a storyline on the schools last season. And the activist lawyer covers similar muckracking ground as the press...

I'm going to try and get into this show again. I've only seen the first 3 episodes and thought they were pretty good, then I missed a week and just never got caught up again.

CrankyJay

Banned
I think people looking for a standard TV show is going to be disappointed...but if you're looking for what it might be like to swoop down in the lives of people like we are a fly on the wall you will love this. In that aspect, the show is amazing.

Literally nothing could happen and I'd love it.

Sliver

So excited. Just finished my rewatch of S2 today, actually. This and Boardwalk back on the air makes me very happy. Hoping to see Hidalgo die in a terrible fashion.

kingocfs

Went through the series over the summer and really liked it, although I'd watch Wendell Pierce in anything. Looking forward to it.

- Sepinwall Review: HBO's 'Treme' continues to cook in season 3
And over the 10 episodes of the new season, "Tremé" remains outstanding at what it sets out to do. The performances — by Wendell Pierce (as charming trombonist Antoine Batiste), Clarke Peters (as immovable Mardi Gras Indian chief Albert Lambreaux) and Khandi Alexander (as Antoine's fierce ex-wife LaDonna Batiste-Williams), among many others — are so good that the characters can drive the series whether their stories are big or small. The music is so well-chosen, and eclectic (this year, heavy metal joins the rotation with jazz, soul, alt-country, hip-hop and more) that the show can get away with pausing the (minimal) action several times an episode just to let us enjoy the performances. And the sense of atmosphere and local color is unmatched among any show in recent memory; even though "The Wire" was loaded with Baltimore specifics, it could have taken place in many cities, where "Tremé" could only be about New Orleans, and captures the city so well you'll feel like you've just spent an hour there.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
I'm going to take the unpopular opinion here.

I hate the seven musical interludes per episode and the show would be better if they were heavily truncated.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
The Wire is my favorite series period and I never knew about this series.

Well, the good thing is that I have two whole seasons to watch without waiting.

- Variety: 'Treme' Marches to Own Drummer (& Trumpeters)
For a hardy few, this is no doubt one of those series that will keep them subscribing as long as its on. Yet as much as I’ve admired Simon’s work in the past – including “Generation Kill” and “The Corner” – this one is just too narrow for me. And frankly, I’ve got enough homework.

- Reason.com: David Simon on Treme, New Orleans, the Drug War, Obama, The Wire - And Disappointing Libertarians (print interview + 20 min video interview on youtube)

tokkun

:| treme is also dealing with significant social issues. are musicians not from the same working class as the dockers? we had a storyline on the schools last season. And the activist lawyer covers similar muckracking ground as the press...

That's kind of beside the point. I was talking about Simon's propensity to insert unlikely scenarios and impassioned speeches into his characters' dialogue in a very obviously editorializing way. When done with regards to big issues, I can look past it. I'm not complaining about their treatment of the FEMA response, political corruption, law & order, etc. However the same devices feel self-indulgent and forced when applied to something like bounce music.

Is it really necessary for the characters to be constantly evangelizing the culture of the city they live in to other residents? This is pretty much the only function of Davis's character. You have several other characters traveling to New York and Texas seemingly for the sole reason of shitting on those places and Midwesterners coming to town just to make a show of how much better New Orleans is. What I take issue with is being subjected with large segments of that show that basically feel like a commercial from the New Orleans tourism bureau.

The old writing axiom "show, don't tell" really seems to apply here. Considering how often Treme directly shows you this stuff via the jazz sets, parades, Indian dances, etc there is no reason that they also need to have all this additional editorializing. Let people come up with their own opinions rather than telling them what to think. It's just bad writing.

- Grantland: Treme Returns for a Third Season, Still Stubbornly Committed to Trumpeting Its Own Importance
More than 20 hours in, Treme remains the same admirable, well-intentioned, and even better-acted chore it’s been since the beginning. Its commitment to detail is unparalleled, its soundtrack is immaculate, and its drama is inert. I say this not with snark but with real respect: I don’t think David Simon much cares about making “good television,” at least in the serialized sense that we’ve come to expect. I think he cares more deeply about educating than entertaining.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I'm trying to like this I really am. So far I'm on episode 3. It's just not clicking with me yet.

I enjoy the music, in fact I've started listening to more jazz as a result. I just hope the plot gets a little better, hell I'm not even sure what the plot is yet.

- Nola.com: HBO's 'Treme' renewed for a fourth and final season
On the eve of “Treme’s” third-season premiere, the HBO drama’s cast and crew learned that there will be a fourth season, albeit abbreviated. Series co-creators David Simon and Eric Overmyer made the announcement at a screening for production participants Saturday (Sept. 22) at the Joy Theater.

The fourth season’s episode total is undetermined, as its premiere date.

At the start of production on season three, the 10 episodes of which debut starting at 9 p.m. Sunday (Sept. 23), Simon and his writers presented the network with a plan to finish the series in four seasons.

HBO recently agreed to a shortened fourth season to allow that plan to be realized
More via the link.

Sliver

It's a shame that it's shortened but really HBO was more than generous letting this run as long as it has. This has to be it's lowest rated show currently on, right?

Fuck yes! The way I look at it, Treme season 2 is longer than any Game of Thrones season will be, so it's all right. At least it's getting an ending.

It's a shame that it's shortened but really HBO was more than generous letting this run as long as it has. This has to be it's lowest rated show currently on, right?

I think Enlightened is lower, and Luck (which was renewed once!) definitely was.

- Sepinwall: HBO renews 'Treme' for abbreviated fourth and final season
Simon also explained that this wouldn't be a season the length of the first three, which ran 10, 11 and 10 episodes, respectively, and that HBO executives "fought very hard to give us half a loaf" to finish things.

I emailed Simon to ask for clarification on what "half a loaf" means, and he wrote, "HBO has offered us a lump sum to budget a conclusion to 'Tremé,' and we are trying to figure out how to stretch that amount in the best possible way. Right now, we are tentatively looking at anywhere between four and six hours of programming, depending on a variety of things. It's half a loaf, but it represents a sincere effort by Mike Lombardo and Richard Plepler to end the narrative properly. We'll do the best we can with the story arcs and try to conclude 'Tremé' in a resonant way."

Because the nature of this final half-season doesn't fit the terms of the actors' contracts, the entire cast was free to walk away at this point. The producers spent the past week speaking with each actor, and Simon told the premiere audience, “To a person, they all came back, We’re happy for a chance to finish the story on our own terms.”

It's not an ideal solution, but given the ratings for "Tremé" relative to HBO's other original series, the existence of any kind of fourth season is something to be celebrated.

I'm glad to hear it was renewed and I trust David Simon and the rest of the cast and crew to make a fitting conclusion with the budget they've been given.

totowhoa

Banned

Funny to see this, only an hour ago I was telling my fiance, "it's probably about time we start picking up the Treme BDs soon, we could probably start watching it now, since not long after we finish the first two seasons, the third will be released, and the show itself probably won't be renewed much longer." Sure enough. :( Sad news. Don't have cable or HBO, else I'd be tuning in, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom