• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Henderson: Forza Motorsport not until Spring 2023

Kagey K

Banned
There wasn't any blowback for FH5 so hopefully not, i think it still looks great even if it is a crossgen engine that's refined. I just hope people don't have unrealistic expectations of the game being something it's not. This "it's because it's a next gen only new engine" thing is being overblown and I think MS just has less reliance on FM to fill in their racing genre. Plus they don't rely on sales anymore for revenue so biannual releases doesn't make as much sense now. New release live service game and you're done.
They should just do a tenth anniversary re-release of an old Forza game already playable on Series X. I hear ppl really love those.

It's going on five years since the last Forza Motorsport....

Last circuit racer that took five years was GT5 and that...that one didn't pan out too well (took a while for it to get up to par).

Honestly we have no way of knowing, and that's part of the problem. If something were planned, even a game they've shown previously that could be coming out this year, you think they could've at least named them around the time they announced those delays. Why not at least make the mention at that time?

So I'm inclined to think, until proven otherwise, they don't have anything for 2022 outside of the Deathloop port to Xbox. I guess they may have Forza after all and even Gears remake collection, those sound plausible, but even people like Jez and Tom are saying one's delayed 'till next year and the other doesn't exist.

Only good news could be, MS is intentionally misdirecting the insiders. Which they could've done a while ago TBH since they were spoiling secret projects WAY early last year.
Oh shit we have an insider

Three

They should just do a tenth anniversary re-release of an old Forza game already playable on Series X. I hear ppl really love those.
They don't even sell old Forza games in the store. A rerelease would be pretty dumb instead of a new, likely GaaS, game which includes all the tracks and cars. Unless you're making a tongue in cheek reference to something I'm missing.

Umbasaborne

Banned
If they literally have fucking nothing except for deathloop this year, then they begged cough up the dough for some big day one game pass deals

It's a bummer but I'm okay to wait few more months to get a proper next-gen racing experience. I don't want another cross-gen, MTX filled bullshit that does next to nothing to push the genre forward.

Delays don’t necessarily mean that will happen as in the case of GT7. Not saying the same will happen with this one FYI.

Vognerful

Sorry Chicken GIF by happydog

Ragnarök was officially announced for 2022 and for all we know it might still be released in 2022.

I'm still confused. What it has to do with Forza Motorsport?

That delays can still happen even if nothing was officially announced. Like if Forza was planned for this year and the devs decide to delay it to next year that’s called an internal delay. According to Jason and Gamereactor Ragnarok was delayed internally. Same thing can happen to any other game. Which is what I believe Tom is suggesting with this.

Mind you I’m not trying to pull out your intestines or anything. Seems like it’s just part of a normal development cycle and I don’t think it’s anything to worry about.

Edit: With all the recent talk about delays I thought Forza 8 was rumored to release this year. Turns out I was mistaken about that. Sorry about that I didn’t mean to upset anyone. I guess I got mixed up with all the rumors.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
That delays can still happen even if nothing was officially announced. Like if Forza was planned for this year and the devs decide to delay it to next year that’s called an internal delay. According to Jason and Gamereactor Ragnarok was delayed internally. Same thing can happen to any other game. Which is what I believe Tom is suggesting with this.

"Internal delay" ≠ delay. I don't care how many times something is "internally delayed". If they never promised us an official release date, it's a fair game.

That's how development works, you are very rarely on time. There a massive difference in announcing a release date, taking pre-orders (like in case of GT7) and failing to deliver on that date VS. never announcing anything and releasing your game few months later than what "iNsIdErS" on Twitter told you to believe.

"Internal delay" ≠ delay. I don't care how many times something is "internally delayed". If they never promised us an official release date, it's a fair game.

That's how development works, you are very rarely on time. There a massive difference in announcing a release date, taking pre-orders (like in case of GT7) and failing to deliver on that date VS. never announcing anything and releasing your game few months later than what "iNsIdErS" on Twitter told you to believe.

Then I guess I’m happy they didn’t push a release date on us then. Your right that it’s bad when any company gives you a date (Starfield or Ragnarok for ex) and then fail to deliver it.

Edit: Just wanted to point out that I’m aware on why the two examples that I cited were delayed.

Last edited:
It better be really good. Over five years of dev time vs two years should result in no compromises.

I was kind of looking forward to the last half of this year.

Xenoblade Chronicles 3, Forza Motorsport, Zelda and Starfield. That would have easily taken up most of my free time for the remainder of the year. Now it'll be Xenoblade and straightback to playing Game Boy Advance and Indies.

RespawnX

It better be really good. Over five years of dev time vs two years should result in no compromises.

I was kind of looking forward to the last half of this year.

Xenoblade Chronicles 3, Forza Motorsport, Zelda and Starfield. That would have easily taken up most of my free time for the remainder of the year. Now it'll be Xenoblade and straightback to playing Game Boy Advance and Indies.

The development of the game was practically started at the end of 2019. Considering that a completely new engine is used, both for physics and graphics, the development time is not particularly long. Besides, the developers keep publishing small blogposts and videos with info about technical aspects and progress. Since internal tests are rumored to start this summer, a release in spring 2023 sounds realistic.The brand lost too much trust among fans with the previous Motorsport. Forza Motorsport has to be a hit and Microsoft knows that. A few months more or less don't matter. The first Horizon 5 expansion is coming in the next weeks and the second one will be released in winter, that will shorten the waiting time. In return we get a real next gen racer - in worst case spring 2023. Turn10 has effectively spent most of its development time on Pandemic, which certainly wasn't easy.

Last edited:
I’m more concerned about a proper step forward from the franchise than a winter or spring release date. The minimal information revealed about the game sounds good. I’m looking forward for more information tomorrow. In the meantime, there are many great racing games to play.

That's crazy because a modern remake for Gears 1-3 would actually have been pretty hype. Gears 1 especially; it looked great at the time but it's an early-gen 360 game and it shows.

It's next-gen only, but there's some thought it could be crossgen due to a leak weeks back showing it running on XBO.

Assuming this rumor's even true, yeah this is going to be a super black-eye kind of year for MS in terms of software lineup. There's really no excuse for it; a platform holder should have consistency in 1P releases every year. Even Nintendo managed that with N64 and that system had SUPER long dry spells of several months at a time at points.

Yeah I think with how open they've been showing Hellblade II off so far, if it were due for this year they would've picked a good moment to at least announce it.

Like, when they delayed RedFall & Starfield to take the sting off the impact of that news with something immediately uplifting.
The best thing they could've done to temper the sting of Starfield/redfall delays is at least put out some 4k/60 updates for some of the Xbox one exclusives that never got updated: Ryse-looks like shit at whatever resolution it has now but would look amazing in 4k/60; sunset overdrive-same thing, gears 1 ultimate-this got 60 fps but never got 4k; and they can fix the bad job they did with fh4 series x and put ambient occlusion back in.

Varteras

Gold Member
Like they did with Halo and Halo 2 on the 360 and Xbox One? That would be so rad!

Last edited:

Vognerful

The development of the game was practically started at the end of 2019. Considering that a completely new engine is used, both for physics and graphics, the development time is not particularly long. Besides, the developers keep publishing small blogposts and videos with info about technical aspects and progress. Since internal tests are rumored to start this summer, a release in spring 2023 sounds realistic.The brand lost too much trust among fans with the previous Motorsport. Forza Motorsport has to be a hit and Microsoft knows that. A few months more or less don't matter. The first Horizon 5 expansion is coming in the next weeks and the second one will be released in winter, that will shorten the waiting time. In return we get a real next gen racer - in worst case spring 2023. Turn10 has effectively spent most of its development time on Pandemic, which certainly wasn't easy.
What happened with Forza 7?

The best thing they could've done to temper the sting of Starfield/redfall delays is at least put out some 4k/60 updates for some of the Xbox one exclusives that never got updated: Ryse-looks like shit at whatever resolution it has now but would look amazing in 4k/60; sunset overdrive-same thing, gears 1 ultimate-this got 60 fps but never got 4k; and they can fix the bad job they did with fh4 series x and put ambient occlusion back in.

Some updates the day of would've definitely calmed down the circus that followed. Gotta disagree on Ryse tho; that game actually still looks pretty damn good IMO. Yeah it's got a soft resolution but the artstyle really pulls through for it even to this day.

I agree it'd look bonkers in 4K & 60 FPS tho and probably pace well with a lot of games releasing today, maybe even look better than a few of them.

Nydius

If this ends up accurate than this is a MEGA OOF on Microsoft's part.
It really shows they had absolutely nothing ready for 2022 and were leaning hard on Bethesda to carry them this year.

As for the FH5 Hot Wheels DLC rumor, it's hard for me to give a damn about it because:
  1. It's a straight copy of the same DLC concept they did with Forza Horizon 3, illustrating perfectly the complaints that the FH series has become bland and overly recycled; and,
  2. There's a whole ass Hot Wheels racing game available that includes more Hot Wheels features than this DLC will (i.e. track editors and more Hot Wheels car types).

JLB

Banned
Perfectly fine with this.
This is a new engine, a foundation for both Motorport and Horizon for the next decade. If theres an entry to not rush it, this is it.

Pallas

Easy Tom Henderson belief guide:

If he posts something you want to hear: Believe him.
If he posts something you don't want to hear: He's full of shit.
That’s pretty much standard with any leaker on here, followed by “LOL” reaction emoji and pretend concern.

Top Bottom