• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Today is a sad day for the gaming discussion side of GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I don't know why it's such a big deal. For the people who own an Xbox, are you no longer getting your games on your system? Do you own stock in Microsoft and fear you are going to lose money? Is someone holding you at gunpoint? What is actually changing in your personal life as a result of this?
Consoles are an investment. They cost $500 and don’t come with any games. They come with a promise of games to come in the next 7 years.

While those games will still come to xbox, the people who invested in the xbox ecosystem at the expense of skipping the PlayStation 5 have all the right to feel like they were misled into investing in the wrong ecosystem. They missed out on PlayStation 5 exclusives but those who invested in the ps5 instead of Xbox now get the Xbox exclusives. At least a few of them for now but we all see the sitting in the wall. We know where this leads.

At the end of the day it’s about money. We are literally the only industry that spends $500 plus an extra $400 just to be able to play $70 games in the future. We have a right to be miffed about stuff like this. I personally decided to take that $900 investment i would’ve made on Xbox and put it towards a new graphics card. So this doesn’t impact me but those 25 million Xbox owners have a right to be upset.

Guilty_AI

Is thats so?
kusuriya-no-hitorigoto-the-apothecary-diaries.gif
Indeed.

Seriously though. Clowns? Really?

twilo99

Damn so many topics….about nothing and we finally see the real Colors of some users here…I’m saddened you guys are usually the best.

The desire for xbox to fail is so strong that it simply clouds any logic or reason... I find it very entertaining actually, and today was rather disappointing in terms of meltdowns

OverHeat

« generous god »
The desire for xbox to fail is so strong that it simply clouds any logic or reason... I find it very entertaining actually, and today was rather disappointing in terms of meltdowns
Competition is a good thing but a lot of users dismiss that.

OverHeat

« generous god »
I don't know who thinks today is the end of the world, I guess.

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live

Nydius

Since I've been critical of Xbox all day, I decided to change my avatar to show my criticism is out of love.

twilo99

Competition is a good thing but a lot of users dismiss that.

It's simple tribalism... "our" team vs "your team" , its human nature and perfectly visible in team sports for example, same concept here.

Some people feel a very deep connection to Sony's hardware, especially to the PlayStation branded boxes, so anything that could be potential competition or threat, simply must not be allowed to exist.

This is why a lot of the fanboyz are perfectly fine with Sega and Microsoft being in the gaming business, but ONLY if they don't make hardware that can potentially compete with PlayStation, otherwise it's no good.

Nintendo is only tolarated because their hardware doesn't directly compete with Sony, if it did, they will get a similar treatment.

Last edited:

proandrad

When your casual Joe can connect the dots of years of what Phil Spencer has been saying while the hardcore forum user keeps believing the otherwise, you know how it would end. He's not some random executive who joined Microsoft in 2013, he's Satya senior at workplace length, saw Xbox and multiple ventures being born at Microsoft.

He's been telling for almost six years that the numbers aren't adding on, game development is taking much longer at multiple times more expensive to a stagnant number of users, not even a higher share of spending per user is offsetting these issues, and god forbids to have everyone understanding that the industry may need to scale back in scope and visuals because "Its not worth the 70 bucks", so your resort is increasing the access to the software by other means.

This is what happens capitalism runs wide. Making billions of dollars isn't enough, you have to make at least 1 dollar more than last year's billions. Why does gaming need to keep growing? Gaming doesn't need infinite growth, that's just some bullshit shareholder speak. This is why I hope valve never goes public.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
When your casual Joe can connect the dots of years of what Phil Spencer has been saying while the hardcore forum user keeps believing the otherwise, you know how it would end. He's not some random executive who joined Microsoft in 2013, he's Satya senior at workplace length, saw Xbox and multiple ventures being born at Microsoft.

He's been telling for almost six years that the numbers aren't adding on, game development is taking much longer at multiple times more expensive to a stagnant number of users, not even a higher share of spending per user is offsetting these issues, and god forbids to have everyone understanding that the industry may need to scale back in scope and visuals because "Its not worth the 70 bucks", so your resort is increasing the access to the software by other means.

Plenty of users sit on this forum and rant about how Phil is a lier when he speaks candidly, yet they can't do simple maths and see that development costs have been ballooning for years to the point they cost more than a Hollywood blockbuster to make and take like 6 years to release and when they do they are BROKEN to shit....but the console market has stayed the exact same size since the 360 era....

I really can't understand how daft some users can be.

Bridges

Why? I dont understand this.

A FIRST PARTY publisher literally decided to put not but 4 games on not just one but two rival platforms. People are going to make a big stink about this.

If not this then what? I feel like today is the day where shit like this is appropriate. This is a huge news story.

Let me get this straight.

One console is bringing 4 of their games to the competing platforms (and are also not denying they are bring more over in interviews.)

And people are actually acting like this isn't a big deal and just nothing.

Are you actually serious right now?

Then I ask, when in the fuck (aside from Sega) has this ever happened?

Seriously wtf is wrong with you guys.

This is literally unprecedented.

So yeah, you're correct some people are showing their true colors.....

images

images

images

images

Yup, you're right. Nothing like this has ever happened. And when Marathon comes out on Xbox it won't be weird either.

Topher

Gold Member

Someone not liking Xbox ain't the end of the world my man. Yeah....shitty thread though.

Nydius

You're thanking him for a braindead response? That sure is something.

Minecraft was due to an agreement with Mojang
MLB The Show was forced by Major League Baseball.

Hardly the same as simply deciding they needed to port them to make more money.

• Fire
Reactions: XXL

XXL

A bunch of disingenuous takes
Are you serious right now?

Why MLB is multiplatform

Why Marathon is multiplatform

You had to go back to the fucking Gameboy Advance to get to the amount of games that were announced TODAY.
Happy Big Brother GIF by MOODMAN

Jesus, you guys are unbelievable.

Last edited:

jm89

There is no need for desire. It's failing.
you-may-not-like-it-but-accept-it-wwf.gif

Last edited:
Isn't Bungie next multiplayer game coming to Xbox too just like SoT and Grounded is coming to Playstation? Ok that is whatever. A bigger usrbase is good for multiplayer.

I guess the big story is Hi Fi Rush and Pentiment. But those games sold like shit. So I dunno.

Three

Certain people were very concerned about competition during the Activision case...

But now they can't wait for Xbox to die. Actively cheer it on.

Interesting.
Conversely people in the Activison case were saying "Nintendo is a competitor, they should be allowed" but now that xbox isn't doing great "there will be no competition for PS without xbox". It's a double edged sword with these hot takes.

Mr Moose

What will the world think when all of bungies games are multiplatform.
You mean like they said over two years ago? I'll be fucking shocked and fuming!
Q. Bungie has future games in development, will they now become PlayStation exclusives?
No. We want the worlds we are creating to extend to anywhere people play games. We will continue to be self-published, creatively independent, and we will continue to drive one, unified Bungie community.

Robb

Gold Member
This whole ordeal was obviously blown out of proportion on all sides, but that’s just part of the fun imo. Just enjoy the ride and don’t take things all that seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom