• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TLOU 1, 2, or RE4 Remake which is the tps horror king?

Who is the king?

• TLOU

Votes: 26 10.2%
  • TLOU 2

Votes: 53 20.9%
  • RE4 Remake

Votes: 137 53.9%
  • Other (specify)

Votes: 38 15.0%

• Total voters

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I'm REALLY enjoying Resident Evil 4, but even with the updated gameplay, it's still behind TLOU and far behind TLOU 2.

Mr Hyde

As much as I love TLOU it's RE4 remake that is the king of third person horror. It's not even a question. It's the best game ever made being remade so it can be the best ever again.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Considering the state of it's PC port, it's obviously TLOU Part 1. I mean, between the frame rates, VRAM requirements, crashes and numerous bugs, if that's not horror, I don't know what is.

Well, I lied, true horror was Cyberpunk 2077 at release on PS4 and Xbox One.

Fbh

Dead Space feels more like a horror game IMO.

RE4 is an action game with some horror elements.
TLOU is going for the whole "humans are the real evil" angle which works well for storytelling but doesn't make it particularly scary.

Madflavor

RE4 has good variety but, whats the point of enemy variety if they all attack you in the same way? Most of those zombie dudes in RE4 attack you in the same way, they just have different skins.

Essentially they either just slowly walk towards you and lunge, or try to spear you/throw an axe at you.

For as much enemy variety as RE4 Remake has, its actual moment to moment gameplay is nowhere near as varied as TLOU 2.

Im kicking and parrying zombies the exact same way for the entirety of RE4. In TLOU 2 im switching up my approach in the middle of an encounter, and choosing how I want to approach each encounter.

But the enemy types is what offers variety. Enemies in TLOU2 might offer variety in how they attack, but one might value enemy types over just two enemies that attack in multiple ways. Most of TLOU2's enemies can all be killed the same way. That's not the case with RE4R. Enemies have different weak points and optimal ways to defeat them without consuming too much ammo.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I never really found TLOU games scary at all. In terms of horror, RE4 destroys them IMO. What makes TLOU great games is their narrative strengths and character building, which RE4 doesn't do best.

For my personal tastes, I'm more of a gameplay guy, so I like RE4 better than TLOU games, but I love all of them.

Strategize

On pure gameplay terms, on harder difficulties of course.

Control fluidity and animation - TLOU2
Mechanical Freedom - TLOU2
Encounter Design - TLOU2
Encounter Variety - RE4R
Gameplay Pacing - RE4R, TLOU2 has much high aspirations with it's story meaning it needs to take charge every once in a while
Peak Intensity during regular combat - TLOU2
Resource Balancing - RE4R slightly, TLOU2 very good here too on harder difficulties, it's also a harder game to balance because of less bullet sponges + stealth
Out of combat gameplay - RE4R
Bosses and Setpieces - RE4R, again TLOU2 very good here too, but RE4's wackiness allows it to do more without worrying about realism, same can be said about it's out of combat gameplay.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
None of those are really that much of a horror game. Dead Space and Silent Hill yes and I'm a total pussy when it comes to horror games.

For me, The Evil Within. Bullets feel limited, and one missed shot can spell the difference between life and death. The gunplay in it and The Evil Within 2 are still unmatched imo. Especially in the first game...the whole partial headshot/full headshot system is genius. Also, the game is dripping in atmosphere...visually and musically, which is important for a survival horror game

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
None of those are really that much of a horror game. Dead Space and Silent Hill yes and I'm a total pussy when it comes to horror games.

gonna cry tobey maguire GIF

dan76

REmake 4 all day long. There is more gameplay in any two chapters than the whole of TLOU 1 or 2.
Edit: and way more verity in enemies, maps and combat.

Last edited:

Markio128

Horror grounded in realism has always been my favourite kind - The Exorcist and the original Wicker Man (and most recently midsommar) are the kind of horror films that I love, so my vote goes to TLOU2.

Horror tps ? RE6, gameplay is superb!
RE4r has great combat, but overall the Original is better

TLOU only fits in a "most woke" games poll, nothing more than that.

Looks like im trolling, but im NOT, it's the price to be yourself, just my opinion!

Last edited:

RyRy93

I played about 60 seconds of the RE4 Remake demo and feel qualified enough to say it isn’t close to being the king of TPS horror.

Seriously what the fuck are those controls and how can anybody seriously prefer them to TLOU II?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Regenerados in re4 are the most effective.
But rat king in tlou2 is stuff of nightmares too.
Tlou2 gives me that existential dread too

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
REmake 4 all day long. There is more gameplay in any two chapters than the whole of TLOU 1 or 2.
Edit: combat.
Nonsense. All you can do in RE4 is kick, shoot and parry. In the OG version, you cant even move and shoot at the same time lol.

How is that, in any way, more varied combat than TLOU 2? Ellie is a super soldier in comparison to Leon. And lets not even mention Abby. Again, all you can do with Leon is kick and duck.

Im shocked at how the "gameplay is king" types cant recognize how TLOU 2 combat is in a league of its own in this genre.

TLOU2 combat is way more free flowing, gives you way more options in encounters, has more verticality, and is just frankly better.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Survival Horror (most are TP anyway) the winner for me would be Silent Hill 3. Wanna talk about a dark, twisted, intelligent, concise, focused Sequel with great visuals and music/sound design that can be completed quickly and has replay value, fire up the original SH3. Probably my favorite horror title.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Resident evil and last of us are two different things, the hbo show has been incredible for the game. The resident evil movies are absolute trash.

dan76

Nonsense. All you can do in RE4 is kick, shoot and parry. In the OG version, you cant even move and shoot at the same time lol.

How is that, in any way, more varied combat than TLOU 2? Ellie is a super soldier in comparison to Leon. And lets not even mention Abby. Again, all you can do with Leon is kick and duck.

Im shocked at how the "gameplay is king" types cant recognize how TLOU 2 combat is in a league of its own in this genre.

TLOU2 combat is way more free flowing, gives you way more options in encounters, has more verticality, and is just frankly better.
Because you are only facing a few different enemy types the whole game! You have a larger move set, but the amount of time spent actually using it is a fraction of the time compared to just wandering around. RE4 is virtually all combat, loads of enemy types, more weapons, loads of bosses and different areas that impact how you go about engaging them. its also more spooky. TLOU isn't even trying to be that is it? TLOU2 in pure gameplay terms wasn't much different from the first game. You could duck... I guess. I couldn't believe that lack of enemy's variety and how similar a lot of the combat situations were.

It's not "better" in any definable way. You just prefer it. And don't get me wrong, I still play factions and enjoyed both games, they're great. But RE4 takes it in terms of gameplay and atmosphere for me.

Last edited:

Chiggs

RE4 all day long.

You couldn't pay me to play TLOU2 again...unless there's a good PC version which has ray-tracing and a level select option available at new game.

Last edited:
RE4 Remake

The enemy variety and bosses and pacing put it well above TLOU...not to mention even the looting is way better since you can see where it is and there's less of it that you have to scavenge

ND just doesn't have a whole lot of breadth when it comes to their gameplay variety and it brings their games down a bit. TLOU even has the opportunity for a wide variety of combat/enemies/bosses but they just stick with mostly the same tried and true outside of a few rare exceptions

Top Bottom