• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Capcom just casually elevate RE4 Remake to GOAT status?

Is RE4 Remake + Seperate ways one of the best games ever?

• Yes

Votes: 67 69.1%
  • No, but actually yes

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • No, but OP is right anyway

Votes: 12 12.4%

• Total voters

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I just finished the Separate Ways DLC from RE4 and am blown away. I don't know what I expected but I sure as hell didn't expect it to be as good. In the original the Addon was more of a nuisance I went through every time after I finished the main game. Here it's a legit part of it. Not only did they add all parts of the original game that were missing in the Remake but they also added meaningful and super fun new content.

Still trying to grasp all this. The original RE4 was for the longest parts of my life my favourite game of all time and just to think that Capcom didn't just manage to Remake it extremely well but now, with the DLC, even surpass it as a whole blows my mind and it should be more talked about.

Seriously guys, if you haven't already. Buy the main game, buy the DLC and enjoy 20-25 hours of varied and thrilling peak gaming.

I really hope the same team gives either RE5, RE Remake Remake or RE CV Remake the same treatment.

Last edited:
I was kinda disappointed by RE2 remake.

Will this be any different?

I prefer newer games like RE7/RE8 that are not shackled by games released decades ago.

Remakes just take away any tension with smooth 60 fps and responsive controls that you used to feel when you originally played them.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member

I prefer newer games like RE7/RE8 that are not shackled by games released decades ago.

Remakes just take away any tension with smooth 60 fps and responsive controls that you used to feel when you originally played them.
RE8 took many of it’s elements directly from RE4. The first village encounter was for instance basically a carbon copy of RE4.

So yeah, I think if you like Village you’ll like RE4 for sure.

Certinty

I had never played the original 1-4 games and in all honesty I never really loved the RE2 Remake. It wasn’t bad but just kind of dull.

But RE4 Remake was spectacular, if someone told me it wasn’t even a remake but a brand new game released in 2023 I would have believed them. About half way through Separate Ways now too and it’s almost as good as the main game. Crazy how cheap it was as well at $10 whilst so many devs charge far more for less.

Neff

RE4 remake + DLC is one of the very best Resident Evil games and one of the most impressive, complete, and endlessly replayable high-value packages available in gaming right now.

I'm genuinely entertaining the idea that it may have surpassed the original. GOTY and it's not even close.

It's a great game but ultimately I felt the same, I missed the original play style, the fixed perspective, and I felt cheated when I realised how much the B scenarios had been gutted. I don't feel that about RE4 remake though. Even though it had cut content it felt negligible because the game was so large and many legacy areas were either remixed or expanded upon, and the gameplay itself, while modernised and refined, felt true to the original while adding a new dimension with the parry. And now we have the DLC which brings a lot of the cut content back to the experience. I couldn't ask for more. It's a definite remake on par with REmake.

Last edited:

killatopak

It’s definitely the one of the best remakes they’ve ever done after Separate Ways. RE2 falls short because of the lack of proper B side story. Honestly you can still make the case for RE2 with the additional side stories added but in terms of proper remake, RE4 takes the cake.

Just add Assignment Ada and the PRL as an update or DLC and I could actually see RE4R taking the crown from REmake as the best remake Capcom ever did.

Anything that was missing from the original RE4 game was added in Separate Ways in a more tasteful and lore interesting way. Not to mention the setups added for the reintroduction of Wesker makes me hopeful for future releases.

Really, the only nitpick I can see is the omission of Operation Javier from Krauser and Leon’s relationship as well as Krauser’s and Wesker’s.

Last edited:

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
No I think it is worse than RE1-6 and Revelations. It is above Code Veronica but that isn't hard. This team obviously has a very, very, very different concept than mine of what makes RE games good.

Dice

I don’t understand. We can debate about the RE2 Remake but the RE4 Remake is at least as truthful to the Original as was RE Remake to the original RE…
If you look only at story, sure. The gameplay has been completely ruined. They tried to shoehorn their RE2R gameplay into an RE4 context and it fucking sucks.

RE2R was the last RE game I liked and it has me worried about the future. RE was my fav franchise for 20 years but 7/8 and these Remakes are sacrificing everything about the gameplay for cheap tricks.

squarealex

I don’t understand. We can debate about the RE2 Remake but the RE4 Remake is at least as truthful to the Original as was RE Remake to the original RE…

At least.. worst Leon. S Kennedy, we lost the "Dante 2001" Mood...

re4-leon-s-kennedy-1.jpg

VS.

But it's fit Perfect for 2023 mainstream... a no cool guys...

resident-evil-4-remake-5-1-889x500.jpg

resident-evil-4-release-time-ps5-xbox-capcom-leon-kennedy.jpg

Souless Logo

resident-evil-4-state-of-play-june-2022_cf6w.jpg

VS

Resident_Evil_4_Logo.png[img]
Resident-Evil-405082021-051902-98013.jpg

But like said Dice, gameplay is awful to me... is less arcade and more "sUrViVal LoL"...
I hate the thing how a perfect headshot did nothing to ennemy... RE2:R Sucks for this... AND THEY DO THE SAME THING AGAIN.

Last edited:
I’ve not played the DLC yet, but RE4 Remake is my favourite RE game. I’ve been playing them since the original on PS1. The new remake is just perfectly paced and super fun to play in my opinion. Definitely one of the front runners for game of the year. Only other game in the running for me is BG3.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
If you look only at story, sure. The gameplay has been completely ruined. They tried to shoehorn their RE2R gameplay into an RE4 context and it fucking sucks.

RE2R was the last RE game I liked and it has me worried about the future. RE was my fav franchise for 20 years but 7/8 and these Remakes are sacrificing everything about the gameplay for cheap tricks.
The gameplay is actually so perfect for RE4, it’s hard for me to go back and play RE2 again with it.

I can relate to your feelings because I shared them at first. But 1-2 hours into it I have troubles believing you did not adapt to it.

I actually feel stupid for not really using the parry mechanic on my initial runs. I just used it all the time and it makes the game even better than it already is.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member

re4-leon-s-kennedy-1.jpg

VS.

Souless Logo

VS

But like said Dice, gameplay is awful to me... is less arcade and more "sUrViVal LoL"...
I hate the thing how a perfect headshot did nothing to ennemy... RE2:R Sucks for this... AND THEY DO THE SAME THING AGAIN.
I actually agree with you here. The only thing I still miss from the original is the camp tone and atmosphere. But it’s hard to blame Capcom for changing it when Mikami HIMSELF said the story is the only aspect of the original that needs extensive rework…

Dice

I can relate to your feelings because I shared them at first. But 1-2 hours into it I have troubles believing you did not adapt to it.
It's very simple, I didn't find the one and only way it wants you to play to be fun.

I actually feel stupid for not really using the parry mechanic on my initial runs. I just used it all the time and it makes the game even better than it already is.
It feels every bit as gimmicky and disjointed as the one in Arkham games. If you want to see parry done right, get good at RE6. That one blends with and extends the action and your options. The mechanic in this game very frequently limits them to one and as a forced interruption of anything else you might have had in mind, which is usually only so easily interrupted because every single move takes ages for your character to animate into. If you want to see a much more limited system for parries but with much better targeted aim and vulnerability mechanics, see Revelations.

Even a headshot from a SNIPER RIFLE can just be absorbed like standard sponge bullshit on a normal pleb villager. Upgrading weapons doesn't seem to change this one bit, either. Now 3 maybe 4 headshots and you can then melee them, which will knock them over and they will get up still. Or maybe you got lucky with crits or used all your shotgun ammo to blow some heads off, now 2/3 of them all have the plagas come out. Not enough flash grenades or ammo in the world for that with how they always string you along on a tiny amount, unlike RE4 where by the end you have the US military in your pockets.

Last edited:

skneogaf

Resident evil 4 remake is not only game of the year but it is top 10 for best games ever.

It is absolutely amazing!

It would have been nice to have dlss 3.5 though but that is my only criticism.

Last edited:

skneogaf

re4-leon-s-kennedy-1.jpg

VS.

Souless Logo

VS

my0vDJF.jpg

The start screen is this though?

Rykan

Someone arrest this man. Anyone.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It's very simple, I didn't find the one and only way it wants you to play to be fun.

It feels every bit as gimmicky and disjointed as the one in Arkham games. If you want to see parry done right, get good at RE6. That one blends with and extends the action and your options. The mechanic in this game very frequently limits them to one and as a forced interruption of anything else you might have had in mind, which is usually only so easily interrupted because every single move takes ages for your character to animate into. If you want to see a much more limited system for parries but with much better targeted aim and vulnerability mechanics, see Revelations.

Even a headshot from a SNIPER RIFLE can just be absorbed like standard sponge bullshit on a normal pleb villager. Upgrading weapons doesn't seem to change this one bit, either. Now 3 maybe 4 headshots and you can then melee them, which will knock them over and they will get up still. Or maybe you got lucky with crits or used all your shotgun ammo to blow some heads off, now 2/3 of them all have the plagas come out. Not enough flash grenades or ammo in the world for that with how they always string you along on a tiny amount, unlike RE4 where by the end you have the US military in your pockets.
I replayed original hd mod right after finishing remake 2 times.
The original is very easy. But it’s also clunky and deliberate.
The remake makes the combat feel how you remember original feeling. The tense action!

Edmund

Re4 remake is really fucking good. Buy it with confidence. Capgods deserve every single cent for this masterpiece.

killatopak

Actually, it does.

Flinching and damage are actually mutually exclusive. A single upgrade of the bolt action rifle headshot actually one shots most enemies pre island. This is on Professional difficulty.

To test this, use an upgraded red9 vs an unupgraded one to headshot people. Flinching occurs more frequently on the former.

To completely deprive of plaga popping up, you have to drain them of their HP immedietly. Try this with a fully upgraded normal shotty. I guarantee you no plaga will pop up. Make sure to shoot them in the chest. Body parts actually have their own HP. Hitting the arms decreases body damage and allows a sliver of HP to be left which makes plagas appear.

It's so easy to stack up flash grenades. By the end, I can easily get more than 20 flashy just by crafting. Just have to equip a case that allows more large resources to drop.

My problem with the remake stems more from the lack of iframes from recovery actions or contextual actions such as getting up after getting hit, climbing up or down ladders, jumping down ledges and such. It's a problem that dated back to RE3R that you can get swarmed by tentacle heads who will ping pong you among themselves.

Also, whoever made the default case make you pick up more handgun bullets need to rethink their actions. I would rather have no bonus handgun drops as it changes any random drop you get to more likely be handgun bullets.

Last edited:

Dice

To completely deprive of plaga popping up, you have to drain them of their HP immedietly. Try this with a fully upgraded normal shotty. I guarantee you no plaga will pop up. Make sure to shoot them in the chest. Body parts actually have their own HP. Hitting the arms decreases body damage and allows a sliver of HP to be left which makes plagas appear.
So waste more ammo to drain health = less plagas to be wasting your ammo? And this makes gameplay options even more limited, and who even has that much time to be shooting things so much when you do it so slow and there are 15 dudes to parry? What idiot thought of these designs? They succeeded at making it a nightmare to me, but not how they wanted. There is a difference between a challenge and just being a trolly pain in the ass. You can have two completely different designs of game at equal amount of skill and effort to overcome them and one waaaay more annoying than the other. As I said before, I think this team has a completely different vision of what makes RE games enjoyable.

Last edited:

killatopak

So waste more ammo to drain health = less plagas to be wasting your ammo? And this makes gameplay options even more limited, and who even has that much time to be shooting things so much when you do it so slow and there are 15 dudes to parry? What idiot thought of these designs? They succeeded at making it a nightmare to me, but not how they wanted. There is a difference between a challenge and just being a trolly pain in the ass. You can have two completely different designs of game at equal amount of skill and effort to overcome them and one waaaay more annoying than the other. As I said before, I think this team has a completely different vision of what makes RE games enjoyable.
It's just one shot of a shotgun compared to 15 shots of handgun if a plaga comes up. Well you can say a single shotgun bullet is more important for you due to the abundance of handgun bullets but what you're failing to recognize is that you're actually saving time. Not just for a higher ranking which isn't important for the average player but time you spent dispatching an enemy so you won't get swarmed if you diligently waste time using your handgun.

Besides, these problem are nonexistent on lower difficulties as you have plenty of ammo and tools to genocide the whole populace.

Also, places you can get swarmed are not abundant in the beginning when you're most vulnerable. That's the places where you actually use your saved up resources. Most instances, you can get by using your lower damage tools. The game even gives you a reusable weapon if you really want to save up ammunition. I'm talking about the Bowgun.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
RE4 remake + DLC is one of the very best Resident Evil games and one of the most impressive, complete, and endlessly replayable high-value packages available in gaming right now.
Speaking of replayabilty, it never ceases to amaze me just how random the difficulty in this game is. No matter the initial difficulty chosen, you never know what you get.

I just finished the main game this week and had no issues whatsoever with Del Lago. No I’m playing it again and that fucker almost killed me…

Both playthroughs on normal by the way.

I’m really curious how this adaptive difficulty works. I always thought the game just gets easier the more you die but I’m pretty sure that is not true. Just died more often than in my earlier playthrough and the game is still harder…

Neff

Speaking of replayabilty, it never ceases to amaze me just how random the difficulty in this game is. No matter the initial difficulty chosen, you never know what you get.

I just finished the main game this week and had no issues whatsoever with Del Lago. No I’m playing it again and that fucker almost killed me…

I’m really curious how this adaptive difficulty works. I always thought the game just gets easier the more you die but I’m pretty sure that is not true. Just died more often than in my earlier playthrough and the game is still harder…

IIRC remake Del Lago takes about 20-25 harpoons to kill, which is close to double the original. Also the water gets rougher and he starts jumping around the lower his health gets, so it can be tricky.

And yeah there are random elements. Critical hits are random, parasite heads are random (after a certain point, and are localised to specific areas), and of course ammo drops are random, with variables factored in depending on what you have in your inventory. And then all of the above gets factored into how long ago you died. The longer you don't die, the more aggressive enemies will be, more will spawn in, they'll have more HP, and you'll receive less goodies. I think this gets toned down on Hardcore and Pro though, as difficulty starts high and for the most part just stays that way.

FUBARx89

I'm biased because I think the original is vastly overrated. But REmake 4 is an amazing game, falling just short of topping REmake 1 and RE2. Deserves all the praise it got.

killatopak

I’m not sure how the adaptive difficulty in the remake works but in the original RE4 it is based on accuracy, damage taken and how fast you are. All difficulties have adaptive difficulty aside from Professional which has it cranked to the max all the time.

So if I assume it to be the case for the remake, you can actually get to Professional difficulty if you play good enough. The differentiating factor seems to be additional enemies such as one more pig head ganado or two blind wolverine instead of one.

The different difficulty choice is probably just to set the upper limit of adaptive difficulty. Like for Standard, the max difficulty you could get is around Hardcore and the lowest is like Assisted. For Hardcore, max is Professional but lowest is Standard. For Assisted, the upper limit is Standard.

All of that is just my assumption so take it with a grain of salt.

Disclaimer: Ada and Wesker voice acting suck in this and so does the DLC filled with it. You are better off playing the characters in Mercenaries with better mechanics.

P.S. The main game is pretty good overall. Special weapons suck ass unfortunately. It also misses some of the moments that made the original great.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It was already GOAT.

The excellent SW just made it more GOAT-ier.

my0vDJF.jpg

The start screen is this though?

Furry icon at the bottom right aside, the title screen changes to a 3D panoramic view of the village after you beat the game.

It's the same in OG RE4 as well.

Last edited:
It was already GOAT.

The excellent SW just made it more GOAT-ier.

Agree. RE4R is my GOAT and SW is the GOAT DLC. Capcom reached perfection with both.

RE has so many weird fans though. Whatever Capcom does with this franchise, there will be always someone complaining that it's not scary enough anymore, or that there's a tiny detail in the original that makes it 1000x better than the remake, or the actress doesn't sound like a B-movie actress anymore and now... 60 fps removes tension.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
IIRC remake Del Lago takes about 20-25 harpoons to kill, which is close to double the original. Also the water gets rougher and he starts jumping around the lower his health gets, so it can be tricky.
Remake Del Lago regenerates its health if you're not quick to hit it, so the more time you take to land careful hits, the longer the fight may seem.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
SWR is good. The only thing bad in it IMO is that Ada/Wesker voices suck. Ada is 50/50 while Wesker has no chill and just sounds like a hotheaded gangsta.

The rest is pretty good.

RE2R is still king IMO for the Survival Horror and atmosphere.

RE4R is more actiony where you kinda know what you are in for.

FeastYoEyes

I think the inclusion of cut segments from the main game and removing a lot of the forgettable aspects of the original Separate Ways really helps it. I can't help but think about how good the main campaign could've been if it included these segments though. I felt like in the original you cover so much more ground than you do in RE4R and Separate Ways combined and the original's scope is so much grander because of it.

Last edited:

Neff

Disclaimer: Ada and Wesker voice acting suck in this and so does the DLC filled with it.

Ada is a LOT better in Separate Ways than she is in the main game, even if it's still the weakest Ada performance we've had to date.

I don't agree on Wesker. While the campiness of D.C. Douglas is notably absent, I think this all-business, no-nonsense Wesker is great and I hope to see more of him.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Ada is a LOT better in Separate Ways than she is in the main game, even if it's still the weakest Ada performance we've had to date.

I don't agree on Wesker. While the campiness of D.C. Douglas is notably absent, I think this all-business, no-nonsense Wesker is great and I hope to see more of him.
Nah I prefer calm calculated Wesker and I prefer he lose his cool when Chris Redfield is on the scene. Wesker just becomes an angry hamster here and is a sidepiece Saturday Morning Cartoon Villain.

Top Bottom