• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This LGBTQ+ Steam Sale is ridiculous

Shai-Tan

Banned
Doubling down on identity politics is moving in the right direction? I guess if you want to watch the West burn, you could see it that way.

While there are valid criticisms of identity politics as forms of "militant particularism" let's not be hyperbolic because you're feeling defensive. Trying to read too much into adding some PoC designation to the lgbtq flag misses the basic fact that party politics is built on a coalition of interests and rhetoric and messaging is primarily instrumental to building solidarity for political causes.

So that's what this is about? You're arguing with me about having a sale for games that are the straight equivalent to "Agent Loves Dick" because of discrimination? That makes zero sense. Why anyone would be against a sale for any sort of demographic is beyond me.
The straight demographic is so well represented in games, it hardly needs a special sale to highlight those games. Just pick any game from your library and chances are it features a straight person. Not so much for the LGBT demographic. I don't see why that is so hard to understand.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I'm not offended and i'm happy for them. Stop trying to paint me as anti lgbt. Steam has a whole suite of games specifically targeted towards a straight male audience, why can't those games get a sale too? You have games that are the straight equivalent to "Agent Loves Dick", but they can't receive a front page sale because why?

they do go on sale.Here’s a hint, you can still buy games in the LGBT sale if you want to, nothingstopping you. These games are aimed at a gay demographic it’s the reason there is a LGBT sale , is call of duty not aimed at the straight crowd? That type of game and when it goes on sale then there you go

bilderberg

they do go on sale.Here’s a hint, you can still buy games in the LGBT sale if you want to, nothingstopping you. These games are aimed at a gay demographic it’s the reason there is a LGBT sale , is call of duty not aimed at the straight crowd? That type of game and when it goes on sale then there you go

No.

bilderberg

Well if you have no problem with the sale then Why you commenting?
Because I'd like a sale for straights. Isn't it easier for you to just be like "alright, sure" than argue with me that their shouldn't be one for "x,y, and z reasons." I don't have any problem with an lgbt sale.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Because I'd like a sale for straights. Isn't it easier for you to just be like "alright, sure" than argue with me that their shouldn't be one for "x,y, and z reasons." I don't have any problem with an lgbt sale.
How about the fact there are more mainstream games aimed at straight people then there are games aimed at the LGBT comunity and this is a good way to highlight them?

bilderberg

How about the fact there are more mainstream games aimed at straight people then there are games aimed at the LGBT comunity and this is a good way to highlight them?
Having a straights sale and highlighting LGBT content aren't mutually exclusive. What are you talking about? Besides, if you're bi this sale is missing half the shit you're equally into. Everyone looses when everyone isn't included.

Last edited by a moderator:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Having a straights sale and highlighting LGBT content aren't mutually exclusive. What are you talking about? Besides, if you're bi this sale is missing half the shit you're equally into. Everyone looses when everyone isn't included.
Nothing stops you buying the games does it?

Wink

OP‘s argument is ridiculous. Can‘t believe some of you still don‘t get it, but heterosexual relationships haven‘t been on the receiving end of some real disgusting, hateful, inhuman treatment for hundreds to thousands of years.
What is so fucking hard about letting a themed videogame sale skate by your skin without ruffling your insecure feathers, let them fucking be, hetero is still the norm, no one has ever questioned what heteros feel is right for them and so there‘s simply no need to shine a light on the fact that being hetero should be viewed as ok cause it already is. Meanwhile a person who depending on which culture they live in might not feel attracted to that lifestyle has to really struggle to be accepted as a human being and some of you get riled up over the theme of a video game sale? Fucking hell, grow a spine, be a mensch.

mcjmetroid

A video game sale/advertisment based on ANYTHING sexual on a store accessed by kids shouldn't be a thing in general.

That's fucked up regardless. FFS.

(Unless the parental controls prevent seeing the advertisment)
The fuck is more sexual about being gay as opposed to being straight?

Are you trying to tell you what you're thinking of when you think of an LGBT person?

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
A video game sale/advertisment based on ANYTHING sexual on a store accessed by kids shouldn't be a thing in general.

That's fucked up regardless. FFS.

(Unless the parental controls prevent seeing the advertisment)

But gay people are normal, so what's the problem? GAF can be very weird sometimes.

OGay

Banned
Any OGAY games included?

I've been holding on to my lotion for quite some time, this is the perfect occasion.

Last edited:

s34ab

Banned
Trying to read too much into adding some PoC designation to the lgbtq flag misses the basic fact that party politics is built on a coalition of interests and rhetoric and messaging is primarily instrumental to building solidarity for political causes.

I"m not "reading too much into" anything. The pride flag was supposed to represent everybody (all races, all sexual orientations, etc.) But some people in Philadelphia people decided they needed special representation because "equality" doesn't actually mean equality anymore. So a brown and black stripe were added. And, magically, it's now the default flag being pushed by every "woke" company in the country. It's fucking absurd.

Last edited:

Winter John

😂😂😂

I really think you read what you want to read, if for you my post sound like a "total meltdown" you are a pretty sensitive person. Read again all my post here and tell me my point is: omagad I can't stand the LGBT community.

Still, I do think LGBT sale is ridiculous, same would go for straight people sale.

Hide behind all the emotes and denials you like son. They won't help you. These people might though -

Teslerum

The fuck is more sexual about being gay as opposed to being straight?

Are you trying to tell you what you're thinking of when you think of an LGBT person?

? Don't put words in my mouth. ?

Straight and Gay or whatever are both included in that comment (That's why I bolded anything btw). If there was an advertisment *STRAIGHT SALE* I would say the same thing.

Now you can make a *Romance/Valentine's Day* sale for example and include both (well not the obviously sexual games, unless again restricted by parental controls) and I wouldn't have a problem with it, but defining a front page sale over sexual preferences is what I do have the problem with.

Edit: But again, thats just my opinion and my grievances can easily be solved with proper parental controls, so ymmv.

Last edited:

ExpandKong

Banned
I got an email alert that Rocket League was on sale. Is Rocket League gay? Which car specifically is gay? I have a right to know

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Hide behind all the emotes and denials you like son. They won't help you. These people might though -

I'm from France so this won't help me. PLEASE leave a link so I can get help from my country :messenger_heart:.

Murdoch

Just ignore it like i do, especially when it's a mild thing like a steam sales event.

We live in a world where you can't really get mad for any woke shit because it's fucking everywhere and you are gonna get crazy sooner or later. (And i hate woke shit with a passion)

Yep. If you start to care too much about ANY given subject you'll drive yourself up the wall. Best thing to do is just ignore subject matter and move on (sometimes it's easier said, than done!)

Katsura

it's not that i believe it's made in good heart..it's that i don't care.
a good thing is a good thing, no matter the reason behind it.
they want pr point? let them have it.

again, we are talking about support, not celebration

are you even reading my posts or you just started with an idea in mind and you are debating that? where did i ever say it's fine to be discriminatory against anyone?
about homosexual discrimination, gay marriage is a relatively novel concept that still doesn't exist in many countries and (probably?) some us states. That is a discrimination, just to say the first one that comes to mind.
We can discuss for horus about why they should or should not have that right, but it's still a textbook discrimination.

aaand at this point i have no idea what are you talking about. You seem to have made a whole lotta of assumption and answered to those instad of what i wrote, so i'd say we have finished here.
I like how you deliberately avoided actually answering any of my questions so let me reiterate
- Who gets to decide what 'needs' support?
- Why is 'neeeding' support a requirement for something to be celebrated?

I never said you supported discrimination. I'm saying that your line of thinking is what led us where we are. The road to hell is paved with good intentions and all that

As for your last paragraph, it's pretty simple - you said that there will always be some dicks who will use the victim card in order to discriminate. I'm saying that homophobia is from a few dicks who discriminate. So if it's just a small number of idiots doing the discriminating, why do we need to give homosexuals special treatment? There is nothing equal about special treatment

Last edited:
Everything can be co-opted and commodified. When that happens it loses its original meaning and intent, and actually becomes a nuisance to non-LGBTers. It's all so forced, exaggerated, and pronounced that you can tell that it's not a genuine thing anymore. When you see these corporations with their rainbow avatars and banners, talking about "how important inclusion is", etc. it is not because they are virtuous but because they want to be seen as being on a moral high ground, that they see even the smallest groups of people as potential consumers.

Majukun

I like how you deliberately avoided actually answering any of my questions so let me reiterate
- Who gets to decide what 'needs' support?
- Why is 'neeeding' support a requirement for something to be celebrated?

I never said you supported discrimination. I'm saying that your line of thinking is what led us where we are. The road to hell is paved with good intentions and all that

As for your last paragraph, it's pretty simple - you said that there will always be some dicks who will use the victim card in order to discriminate. I'm saying that homophobia is from a few dicks who discriminate. So if it's just a small number of idiots doing the discriminating, why do we need to give homosexuals special treatment? There is nothing equal about special treatment
can't give you an answer that isn't there..there's no referee,is a culture as a whole that decides autonomously this kind of things..one decade we were ok with putting people with deformities in a circus as an attraction..then it became not acceptabe anymore..no one had the last word, this changes and decisions kind of happen on their own together with time, scientific discoveries, historic events, and many other factors

also,again, these kind of sales are a way to show support,not to celebrate..i don't think anyone is saying "look at howcool being trans/gay/whatever is through this kind of sales.

as per your last paragraph, you do realize that there are still countries where you are put to death for being homosexual right?
or the way a country like russia deals with homosexuality on their own media (so far from being "just a few dicks")
again, even if the US ( or your country since i0m only just kind of assuming you are from the us since it seems to be the majority here)somehow solved all the problems and prejudices with non-heterosexual (i somehow doubt it, but i don't live in your country so i can't have first hand experience of the situation), plenty of other countries did not, and the internet is not something limited to just one country

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
This implies that lgbt people like ohter stuff than "normal" people... wtf is even going on. I don't like this games content segregation
It's a sale promoting games with LGBT+ characters and themes. Not a sale for LGBT+ people. This is like Steam having a sale that promotes games made by French devs then complaining: "So Steam are saying French people refuse to play games made by non French devs?!" Stop being so silly.

Jesus, the amount of concern trolling, whataboutism and literal "Won't somebody think of the children?!" Pearl clutching in this thread is amazing.

mcjmetroid

? Don't put words in my mouth. ?

Straight and Gay or whatever are both included in that comment (That's why I bolded anything btw). If there was an advertisment *STRAIGHT SALE* I would say the same thing.

Now you can make a *Romance/Valentine's Day* sale for example and include both (well not the obviously sexual games, unless again restricted by parental controls) and I wouldn't have a problem with it, but defining a front page sale over sexual preferences is what I do have the problem with.

Edit: But again, thats just my opinion and my grievances can easily be solved with proper parental controls, so ymmv.

Fair enough. I don't just think even if it was Straight sale it's shouldn't be seen as sexual in most ways.

Besides
You cannot keep children away from anything that hints towards sexuality.
Even television ads/billboards use sex to sell products in some way or another.

Katsura

can't give you an answer that isn't there..there's no referee,is a culture as a whole that decides autonomously this kind of things..one decade we were ok with putting people with deformities in a circus as an attraction..then it became not acceptabe anymore..no one had the last word, this changes and decisions kind of happen on their own together with time, scientific discoveries, historic events, and many other factors

also,again, these kind of sales are a way to show support,not to celebrate..i don't think anyone is saying "look at howcool being trans/gay/whatever is through this kind of sales.

as per your last paragraph, you do realize that there are still countries where you are put to death for being homosexual right?
or the way a country like russia deals with homosexuality on their own media (so far from being "just a few dicks")
again, even if the US ( or your country since i0m only just kind of assuming you are from the us since it seems to be the majority here)somehow solved all the problems and prejudices with non-heterosexual (i somehow doubt it, but i don't live in your country so i can't have first hand experience of the situation), plenty of other countries did not, and the internet is not something limited to just one country
No, these sales are to exploit a group because it's culturally acceptable and even cheered on by naive consumers. There is no support here. If they wanted to actually support the cause, they'd host this sale in places such as Pakistan, Saudi Arabia and Nigeria. They could even take some of the profits and donate to human rights organizations in those countries. That's not what they're doing. They're having this sale in countries where there is little need to support the cause. How is this sale supporting the cause when it's not even displayed where it's needed the most? Are people from Pakistan going to accidentally read about it online and think 'oohhhh so killing gays is bad? I get it now'.? It's an empty gesture designed to maximize profits and nothing else

Next, we should arguable support heterosexuality more since it's the foundation of our very existence. That alone makes it a much more worthy cause so we're back to why we cannot have a straight male sale. Apparently it's some random 'cultural' thing? Do you admit that the reasoning is somewhat arbitrary considering you yourself, as a proponent of it, can't accurately define what makes you eligible for the special attention?

Finally, yes, i do realize there are countries where it's incredibly dangerous to be homosexual. That's kind of my point - why are all these shows of support always in regions where it's not only safe to do but also not really needed? Why aren't they pushing the cause where it actually matters? It's the same hypocrisy that seeps through all virtue signalling. Like hardcore feminists on Twitter arguing about micro aggressions and man spreading instead of women's rights in Saudi Arabia. It's hollow, meaningless and when used by corporations, somewhat disgusting

By the way, i'm from Denmark. We've had gay marriage for decades, the leader of one of the major political parties is openly gay, we've had a female prime minister and numerous gay politicians in prominent positions. I'm by no means against gay rights. It's should be a given that everyone gets the same opportunities no matter their ethnicity, sexuality etc. but that's also why i object to 'positive' discrimination. You don't solve discrimination by discriminating. That's insane yet that's what is happening

Last edited:

bobone

I'm late to this thread, but WTF is wrong with the people making these games.

How can all this trash be profitable? Is the rest of the world really this fucked up?
I would rather be doing LITERALLY ANYTHING than playing these games.

I recommend anyone about to buy these games go paint their walls and watch it dry; because that is much higher quality content.

Katsura

How can all this trash be profitable? Is the rest of the world really this fucked up?

I recommend anyone about to buy these games go paint their walls and watch it dry; because that is much higher quality content.
Sadly, it's a byproduct of game engines such as Unity being relatively easy to use. Seriously, if you know just a bit of C# and how to use your credit card on the Unity asset store, you can make games like this

Can't believe people are actually mad at this. lmfao.

Really? I guess the hate on the white males (more often derogatorily labeled as a cis white male/man/boy/scum) by feminists and the LGBTQ community isn't a thing...
It's partial truth, partial jealousy because they aren't the ones in power. No need to be mad about it though, normies out populate these people by large margin.

Ascend

I would not buy anything during an LGBTQ+ sale, even if they were games I'd like to have. I'd wait for another sale, simply to not support these practices. What's next? Black people sale?

fantomena

How do you know if the games in this sale are trash? Like, Life is Strange and Red Strings Club are fantastic.

I would not buy anything during an LGBTQ+ sale, even if they were games I'd like to have. I'd wait for another sale, simply to not support these practices. What's next? Black people sale?

Steam has for many years had demographically aimed sales. LBTQ+ sale, games from Australia sale, games from Germany sale, horror games sale and so on.

These practices have been very successfull for Steam. You know how I know this? Because Valve continues with them.

Ascend

Steam has for many years had demographically aimed sales. LBTQ+ sale, games from Australia sale, games from Germany sale, horror games sale and so on.

These practices have been very successfull for Steam. You know how I know this? Because Valve continues with them.
You really can't tell the difference between a Horror sale, a specific country sale, and an LGBTQ+ sale?

fantomena

You really can't tell the difference between a Horror sale, a specific country sale, and an LGBTQ+ sale?

I cannot and if there are, why should I care if there's a difference? My shopping experiences didn't change other than a 1 or 2 games on my wishlist receveing a discount. Didn't even know they were discounted because of the LBTQ+ sale until someone pointed it out.

It's just a name of a promotional sale, get over it.

Don't people have better things to do than getting angry over the name of a sale?

I guess many of you also don't know the "International Day of the Girl" sale is still going? https://store.steampowered.com/sale/warchilduk/

Last edited:

Ascend

It's just a name of a promotional sale, get over it.

Don't people have better things to do than getting angry over the name of a sale?
You and I both know it's a lot more than "just a name of a promotional sale". The name specifically designed to;
- Cater to a specific demographic
- Exploit a specific demographic
- Push a politically correct SJW agenda
- Normalize the... deviant (for lack of a better word)

Can all those things be said for a Horror sale, or a country sale? No they cannot.

fantomena

You and I both know it's a lot more than "just a name of a promotional sale". The name specifically designed to;
- Cater to a specific demographic
- Exploit a specific demographic
- Push a politically correct SJW agenda
- Normalize the... deviant (for lack of a better word)

Can all those things be said for a Horror sale, or a country sale? No they cannot.

Every themed promotion is about catering and exploiting a demographic.

LGBTQ+ being "politically correct SJW agenda" must be a US thing or something, never heard about that in my country (Norway). Or maybe because you don't like it it must mean it's politically correct SJW agenda.

What is "deviant"? What do you mean by that?

Last edited:

Ascend

Every themed promotion is about catering and exploiting a demographic.
"Horror" is not a demographic.
With countries, it's a bit more complicated... Let me put it this way. If you have a random country sale, there really is no problem with that.
But Bahamas was just hit with a Hurricane. Would it be a problem if they now have a "Bahamas sale", trying to get some people from Bahamas to buy games? If yes, how is that different from the whole LGBTQ+ thing? Because both are about trying to exploit a supposedly 'disadvantaged' group of people.

LGBTQ+ being "politically correct SJW agenda" must be a US thing or something, never heard about that in my country (Norway). Or maybe because you don't like it it must mean it's politically correct SJW agenda.
It's politically incorrect to not support LGBTQ+ movements or promotions. I'll let you google SJW. As for the agenda, well, it's everywhere. That you don't hear about it in your country doesn't mean it's not there. It's a global phenomenon now.

What is "deviant"? What do you mean by that?
The word speaks for itself. But since you can't google;
"A deviant is someone whose behavior falls far outside of society's norms; as an adjective, deviant can describe the behavior itself. For example, a fifty-year-old punk rocker has a deviant appearance, compared to his peers. "

Last edited:
Top Bottom