• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This has been the most technologically held back generation since the Wii.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
What are people actually expecting once last gen consoles stop 'holding the new consoles back'? Because nothing suggests that they currently have a bunch of overhead in performance that isn't being utilized.

And all these great games were released over the course of the PS5 generation within a similar timeframe, and through a global pandemic:

wBVLfs9.png

Plus Death Stranding, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Ghost of Tsushima, Spider-Man and Uncharted remasters.
The 2001 line up SMOKES that line up of games, Silent Hill 2 and MGS2 alone are some of the greatest games of all time.

SeraphJan

The 2001 line up SMOKES that line up of games, Silent Hill 2 and MGS2 alone are some of the greatest games of all time.
Both SH2 and MGS2 were my favorite game of all time.

But I would say the overall line-ups are comparable in terms of quality (I'm not talking about the full library comparison, only what had been shown on the image, as nothing beats PS2 full library wise).

These current gen games are great in their own ways.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
When did GTA 6 get very much confirmed to be cross-gen?
even if its not cross gen, it looks cross gen as fuck. it will be like dead space, need for speed, star wars, and other games that started off as cross gen games but publishers decided last gen ports was too much work for little revenue gain.

the core of the game will be designed around 1.6 ghz cpu cores, hdds, and last gen gpus.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Cross gen is here to stay. Especially since consoles aren't completely changing the entire architecture from one generation to the next. There has to be some give and take.

In this case, GTA6 is a stupidly expensive game. It makes economic sense to release it on as many systems as can adequately run it (if cross gen is really happening here)

Fbh

Cross gen gaming is awesome.
High framerates at good resolution on consoles.

We've had plenty of "next gen only" games this year and none of them offer any next gen gameplay. It's just the same stuff as last gen with better graphics and shitty performance.

You're not wrong. This is the least interesting generation that I can remember. None of the great games we've had this year couldn't be done on previous hardware, so it feels like a wasted effort, a scam in an industry full of scams.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
there's not a single game on the switch with as an expansive an open world as gta 5 - especially when it comes to multiplayer. and that was a ps3 game.
Tears... of the Kingdom? What's not "expansive" about that?
You can go to the skies and underground with no loading screens and you can create your own crazy floating machine and weapons.
It's one of the few games in which nature actually feels alive.

And you're giving GTA too much credit.
Although it's certainly complex, they don't have NPCs with schedules like in Skyrim. A lot of stuff spawns and disappears on the fly like vehicles and citizens.

TOTK would be a budget release on PS5 if it was not a Zelda game.
I'm saying if it were designed for PS5 or XBOX it would not have been a big deal.
573.png

SlimySnake

We've had plenty of "next gen only" games this year and none of them offer any next gen gameplay.
And now that the biggest arguably the best gaming studio of all time is going to release the same stuff as last gen, the trend will continue.

reinking

Gold Member
I am glad I am not as hung up on this "cross-gen" stuff that many seem to be. This generation has been pretty good and some of the games have looked great. SSD speeds on consoles and PC have been a blessing. My complaint about technology in this generation is in the opposite direction. I do not like that we are at a point where online availability has led us to required day one patches and lack of ownership.

Perrott

Gold Member
Well, Returnal is arguably the Bloodborne of this generation and, while not an exclusive, Elden Ring was just as critically acclaimed as SH2 or MGS2. Inscryption also came out within the first year and a half or so of the console lifecycle, and that's another groundbreaking title.

You also have to bear in mind that games take much longer to make nowadays due to their expanded scope and production values. It'd be borderline impossible to make, for instance, a Rockstar, Naughty Dog, Santa Monica, CDProjekt RED, FromSoftware, Hideo Kojima, Tetsuya Nomura, Ken Levine and Fumito Ueda games coincide within a two year window, especially at the beginning of a generation.

Last edited:

Thaimasker

Both the old and the current new leaks clearly show it being a cross gen game.

Remember, this is Rockstar. They made GTA 5, a PS3 game, look like a PS4 game.

So GTA6 on PS4 will look like a PS5 game.

This means that a GTA on current gen only such as a PS5, should look like a PS6 game.

And both leaks clearly just show an incremental upgrade from GTA5 and more in line with Read Dead 2.

even if its not cross gen, it looks cross gen as fuck. it will be like dead space, need for speed, star wars, and other games that started off as cross gen games but publishers decided last gen ports was too much work for little revenue gain.

the core of the game will be designed around 1.6 ghz cpu cores, hdds, and last gen gpus.

This is why devs don't show stuff early. This newest 7 second video is in debug mode on performance mode, well before release and before most of the graphical polishing and effects would even be done . Not to mention it's recorded in like 480p off screen.
nothing points to this game being designed around an HDD or 1.6 core lol.
wait at least until the trailer in 3 days lol

Perrott

Gold Member

Bullshit. Stop lying.

Concepting, planning, research and pre-production were all done for years as Red Dead Redemption 2 was the focus, but proper development didn't kick off in a big way until the launch of that game in 2018. So from 2019 up until late 2024 (the earliest delivery date for GTA VI), you're looking at over five years of production made on actual next-gen development units. Don't fucking compare that to Dead Space, Jedi Survivor and Need for Speed, all of which were made on last-gen engines, utilizing last-gen techniques and over dev cycles of around or less than three years.

Also, Rockstar literally dropped GTA Online support for the PS4 with some of the latest content because they're done with last-gen and looking at the future, even within GTA V. So there's no fucking way that, being the most technologically proficient development studio on the planet, Rockstar would half-ass the technological ambitions of the first GTA game in over a decade.
And you're giving GTA too much credit.
Although it's certainly complex, they don't have NPCs with schedules like in Skyrim. A lot of stuff spawns and disappears on the fly like vehicles and citizens.
Well, RDR2 had a really complex 24h schedules system for all the individual characters within the various towns in the game. So I wouldn't rule out GTA VI having some insane open-world AI director in charge of the entire city simulation and all the various kinds of citizens inside it.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

This is why devs don't show stuff early. This newest 7 second video is in debug mode on performance mode, well before release and before most of the graphical polishing and effects would even be done . Not to mention it's recorded in like 480p off screen.
nothing points to this game being designed around an HDD or 1.6 core lol.
wait at least until the trailer in 3 days lol
i want to believe but graphics polishing cant make a cross gen looking game look next gen. we went through this with spiderman 2 just a few months ago. the core tech will not change. you can watch the matrix clips at 480p and they will still look next gen.

im perfectly willing to wait till tuesday and want to be proven wrong but im also commenting on what im seeing right now. And i was talking about the EA games that we saw release exclusively on consoles. they might be next gen in name but they had last gen versions in development all the way up until the last year of development. IF and again, this is the key, IF gta6 is the same and releases only on next gen console, it doesnt mean the game was designed to take full advantage of modern day cpus and ssd.

Puscifer

It's crazy to me to see people complaining about the PS2 when GTA Vice City was 10 million dollars to make and was consideres Rockstars biggest project to date at the time or the fact that Silent Hill 2 remake is taking just as long to make as it took Team Silent to release Silent Hill 2, 3 and 4.

Game development isn't the linear pipeline it used to be, especially considering you can just make an 8/10 good medium game anymore without it somehow being considered a disappointment unless it's from a long standing series like Yakuza

Pelao

Three years into a mostly 60fps generation and I couldn't be happier. I've skipped every game that doesn't have a performance mode and, funnily enough, every one that doesn't has turned out to be underwhelming crap.

Thaimasker

i want to believe but graphics polishing cant make a cross gen looking game look next gen. we went through this with spiderman 2 just a few months ago. the core tech will not change. you can watch the matrix clips at 480p and they will still look next gen.

im perfectly willing to wait till tuesday and want to be proven wrong but im also commenting on what im seeing right now. And i was talking about the EA games that we saw release exclusively on consoles. they might be next gen in name but they had last gen versions in development all the way up until the last year of development. IF and again, this is the key, IF gta6 is the same and releases only on next gen console, it doesnt mean the game was designed to take full advantage of modern day cpus and ssd.
Even with a finished PC game, if you turn off the effects it can look vastly different. It's not just polishing, but actual effects that are off. Graphical direction that isn't implemented. Spiderman 2 footage was shown months before release, officially. This is a completely different scenario lol. Same with the matrix, that's a finished product with all the effects enabled. Now if you show me matrix 2-3 years before release in such a state, it would look like a PS4 game.

As perrot said, this game didn't start full development until 2019, and unlike EA, rockstar is all about pushing technology and graphics. Especially for such a flagship game. I think they'll deliver. If anything holds the graphics back, it'll be just the massive open world nature

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
And all these great games were released over the course of the PS5 generation within a similar timeframe, and through a global pandemic:

wBVLfs9.png

Plus Death Stranding, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Ghost of Tsushima, Spider-Man and Uncharted remasters.
Deathloop, Sifu, come on bro

SlimySnake

Even with a finished PC game, if you turn off the effects it can look vastly different. It's not just polishing, but actual effects that are off. Graphical direction that isn't implemented. Spiderman 2 footage was shown months before release, officially. This is a completely different scenario lol. Same with the matrix, that's a finished product with all the effects enabled. Now if you show me matrix 2-3 years before release in such a state, it would look like a PS4 game.

As perrot said, this game didn't start full development until 2019, and unlike EA, rockstar is all about pushing technology and graphics. Especially for such a flagship game. I think they'll deliver. If anything holds the graphics back, it'll be just the massive open world nature
The building quality isnt too hot and i doubt that gets improved.

the game's lighting is fantastic and it looks to be fairly complete. i dont know what other effects they can add to make it look like the matrix awakens. the game looks great, and will likely look on par if not better than cyberpunk and spiderman 2 when you take into account the production values and rockstar's consistency, but im no seeing anything truly next gen here. and simply adding high pc settings isnt going to change that.

lets hope im wrong and this is older footage. its a massive step up from the leaks from 2020, but not quite there with the matrix awakens still.

Perrott

Gold Member
Deathloop, Sifu, come on bro
Deathloop is objectively a critical darling and, going by Metacritic, the best Bethesda-published game in years, while Sifu is one of the most beloved hardcore indie games in recent times, alongside the likes of Immortality, Incryption, The Case of the Golden Idol, Tunic, Neon White, Loop Hero, Signalis or Norco.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Yeah it’s been a very boring generation overall thus far imo. Loads of cross-gen titles and even the games that aren’t cross-gen feel like they might as well have been/could also run on Ps4/XBO.

Zadom

Hopefully, soon they will make games for current gen with plans to port to next gen, but that is probably too far out and a gamble on a game’s popularity. I don’t know business but I’m sure any businesses big concern is maximizing profits.

Shakka43

wBVLfs9.png

Come on dude, some great games but...

GOW, GT7, Forbidden West, Morales and Sackboy are all cross gen. DS and TLoU while excellent are just remakes. Deathloop, Returnal and SIFU are fine. Only new gen experience there is my boy Astrobot.

Last edited:

Thaimasker

The building quality isnt too hot and i doubt that gets improved.

the game's lighting is fantastic and it looks to be fairly complete. i dont know what other effects they can add to make it look like the matrix awakens. the game looks great, and will likely look on par if not better than cyberpunk and spiderman 2 when you take into account the production values and rockstar's consistency, but im no seeing anything truly next gen here. and simply adding high pc settings isnt going to change that.

lets hope im wrong and this is older footage. its a massive step up from the leaks from 2020, but not quite there with the matrix awakens still.
The leaks were actually from 2021- mostly 2022. So just in 1 year based on 7 seconds in performance mode debugged you say it's a massive step up ...but building quality won't be improved? By that time this footage was made it was already likely better than what you see there with the right persons build/settings. This wasn't some vertical slice ready to show consumers like the trailers will be.

TheTony316

i really don't actually care about the consoles being powerful or not. there just aren't a lot of ps5 games. the switch doesn't have this problem. very few people seem to actually care how weak the switch is, judging by how successful it is.

The Switch doesn't have this problem because it's at the end of its life.

The first 2-3 years were mostly just Wii U and 3DS ports.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I'm playing Ragnarok on PS4 Pro(with good fidelity, 40-50 fps, 1080p). I think it should run games like Returnal, Demon's Souls as well. It will probably run GTA 6 at 30 fps with some drops. I don't recall such possibilities in older generations. Cross-gen games existed before but often weren't playable on older consoles to the same extent.

The power of the PS5 will likely come into question once games that won't work on the PS4 arrive. This generation is progressing quite slowly. They've kept people occupied with the SSD for quite some time.

Zuzu

I’m happy with the current progress in visual fidelity. The pace of improvement has slowed down but in return we’re getting vastly improved frame rates. And improved frame rates also improve visual fidelity a lot. The greater motion clarity of higher frame rates is beautiful in its own right.

If games were to go back to mostly 30fps then sure we’d get improved graphical features in some areas but then we’d lose the motion clarity of higher frame rates (not to mention a worse gameplay experience). Which visual trade off do you prefer?

Barakov

With the GTA 6 all but confirming that it is going to be a cross-gen game. It looks like we are heading into YEAR 3 with the most likely biggest selling game being available for PS4 and Xbone.

I can see cross-gen gaming still being a thing in year 5 at this rate.

EDIT:

Since some people are not too familiar with history, I am including some history from the PS2 release.

PS2 was released in 2000.

These 8 PS2 exclusive games were released in 2001. One year later.
8h58i0acc6011.jpg
Looking Around Star Trek GIF

Mooreberg

A lot of this comes down to economics. Outside of some great recent sales, two consoles that launched at $499 three years ago are still routinely sporting that MSRP. And while software sales are shifting more and more to "current gen", PS4 is still probably an enormous revenue generator for games like GTA Online, Fortnite, and COD Warzone. In fact, as of the Apple/Epic lawsuit, PS4 was the highest revenue generator for Fortnite.

Ten years ago you just had to move enough hardware to make the transition to a new hardware cycle logical for third parties. These days, you also need to migrate the players that make up the bulk of micro transaction revenue. Whatever numbers publishers are seeing about who spends how much and where probably determine a lot of the platform support decision making.

Mowcno

What are people actually expecting once last gen consoles stop 'holding the new consoles back'? Because nothing suggests that they currently have a bunch of overhead in performance that isn't being utilized.
30fps will go back to being the standard, performance modes will disappear, and then people will cry about that. There's no pleasing people.

Last edited:

DrFigs

I'm playing Ragnarok on PS4 Pro(with good fidelity, 40-50 fps, 1080p). I think it should run games like Returnal, Demon's Souls as well. It will probably run GTA 6 at 30 fps with some drops. I don't recall such possibilities in older generations. Cross-gen games existed before but often weren't playable on older consoles to the same extent.

The power of the PS5 will likely come into question once games that won't work on the PS4 arrive. This generation is progressing quite slowly. They've kept people occupied with the SSD for quite some time.
i think this is possibly true. but returnal runs at 1080p on the ps5. the way it is rn, it probably wouldn't run on ps4. but i'm not knowledgable enough to say whether that's just the devs didn't do a great job at optimization or whatever.

Last edited:

ButchCat

It does feel like the WiiU of gens, the only difference is Nintendo didn't get away with it but the others this time did around.

SlimySnake

The leaks were actually from 2021- mostly 2022. So just in 1 year based on 7 seconds in performance mode debugged you say it's a massive step up ...but building quality won't be improved? By that time this footage was made it was already likely better than what you see there with the right persons build/settings. This wasn't some vertical slice ready to show consumers like the trailers will be.
Pretty sure i saw that the leaked footage was dated 2019. It was leaked in 2022, but the footage itself was from 2019.

Comparing the current situation with previous generations is ridiculous and meaningless.

- 20-30 years ago, technological evolution allowed you to release machines dozens of times more powerful, with much more RAM, every 4-5 years, today that is impossible.

-20-30 years ago you could get games in just one year with teams of 20 people, today you can spend 4-5 years with teams of hundreds.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
i think this is possibly true. but returnal runs at 1080p on the ps5. the way it is rn, it probably wouldn't run on ps4. but i'm not knowledgable enough to say whether that's just the devs didn't do a great job at optimization or whatever.
Allow dynamic resolution and cap it at 30 fps, and there you have it, a half-baked ps4 port of Returnal. And I think ps4(especially pro) could do more than that.

Success

Comparing the current situation with previous generations is ridiculous and meaningless.

- 20-30 years ago, technological evolution allowed you to release machines dozens of times more powerful, with much more RAM, every 4-5 years, today that is impossible.

-20-30 years ago you could get games in just one year with teams of 20 people, today you can spend 4-5 years with teams of hundreds.

My friend, if it were so ridiculous you would have ignored this post and let it blow over. But you still posted and this means that even you agree to the extent that this gen going into its 4th year of cross gen is a bit surprising.

Top Bottom