• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There are more Disney subs than Gamepass subs. OP reaches stupid conclusion.

Bryank75

Banned
No subscription model will work longterm....

Games just cost way too much to make, far more than films and tv shows and also take far longer. Then the potential audience is far smaller than film streaming.

As you said, they have to compete with COD Warzone, Fortnite, Genshin Impact, Apex Legends and all sorts of other free to play games.

A massive portion of gamers are Fifa, COD or Madden only gamers, they buy their game every year and don't want to know about anything else...they just don't care.

Then you have hardcore gamers.... most of which love buying their games, love physical and collectors editions and value ownership.

At the moment it is just conversion of Xbox customers to Gamepass customers.... they have in or around half of their userbase changed over, which is impressive.
But my feeling is that it will slow down at some point in the next few months rather quickly and the curve will flatten out and either hold or drop when promotions start going away. Assuming existing customers will no longer be able to avail of promotions.

I think a lot of people are missing one of the main business reasons for Gamepass. Even if it only ever reaches people who are hardcore gamers, it gives you a solid reason to be in the Xbox ecosystem. That ecosystem stills sells a ton of games, DLC, and other microtransactions . Ecosystem lock in is the ultimate goal here. Get you used to using your Xbox, or the Gamepass app, or the Xbox/Windows store to download, play, and sometimes BUY.

I also think that Gamepass streaming will continue to grow, especially once the TV and PC apps become common. Even Gamepass streaming on Android/IOS could help Microsoft break into the Asian market, where 70% of gaming revenue goes to mobile game companies. I know they aren't yet doing this, but wait until their streaming is really rolling and you are able to BUY a game that is not on the subscription that you can play on PC or Xbox or Stream on your TV or on your phone/tablet......This is the eventual goal, and the eventual market could be massive.

What is actually interesting about the Gamepass vs Netflix/Disney+ comparison is that Netflix/Disney/HBO only get your subscription dollars, but Microsoft gets that + whatever other games, DLC, addons, etc.... you spend money on.

j0hnnix

Canceling Gamepass, What a POS.
Outer Banks Gd GIF by NETFLIX

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
This is the dumbest thread ever. Considering it has a much larger potential audience (not limited to certain devices) its half the price, and has a ton of content including what many consider to be the most popular franchises of all time, why does this thread even exist? Just another troll trying to discredit gamepass for no good reason?

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
It's been said so many times that gamepass will cater to the 2 billion casuals out there. That it will be the Netflix of gaming one day. But is it really though?

Few of the reasons why I disagree:

Reason #1: Movies and shows appeal to the casuals. AAA gaming is niche.

Reason #2: It's different how we consume games from movies and shows. A gamer would play 1 game or 2 for months and months. A gamer would find no value in a service with thousands of games if what he wants to play is not included in such a service.

Reason #3: A streaming service of games that you have to play for $10-$15 will have to compete with free-to-play games that are very popular among the casuals.

If even among the console and PC gamers, gamepass is a hard sell. How could one expect that it will appeal to casual gamers?

Wow, people are really reaching now to come up with novel ways to claim Game Pass is doomed, Game Pass sucks, why I hate Game Pass, but this is a new level of stupid.

Why are you comparing Game Pass to Disney+ instead of PSNow, you know compare similar services??? Oh wait I know why, Game Pass has almost 10 times the number of members even though it hasn't been around as long and that would make the PlayStation service look bad/doomed/struggling instead of the Xbox service you're trying so hard to concern troll.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I win. Pay up, motherfuckers.

Some of you seem to have Game Pass Derangement Syndrome. This service simply lives rent free in your heads. I truly, truly don't understand why you are so threatened by it.

Game Pass has been, and will continue to be, an amazing value. Pointing out that more people watch TV shows and movies than play videogames doesn't prove jack shit.

Get over it.

Well, see you in the next "ACTUALLY, GAME PASS SUCKS" thread in the next couple days.

You win NOTHING, buddy! You said 48 hours, but it's only been a little over 24 hours. Maybe we can get a fresh, new Game Pass sux thread every day.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I signed up for free with Disney. It came with my phone service

Kerotan

The xbox brand is by far the weakest of the big 3 for gaming. There's literally no chance it ever gets near D+.

Boss Mog

18M seems pretty good for XBOX. I mean if you compare console user bases XBOX is dwarfed by the combined numbers of PlayStation and Switch. And then on PC there's still a lot of piracy and those that don't pirate are mostly happy sticking with Steam and just getting the games they want on sale.

carlosrox

Banned

Says the Mando Bandwagoner.

Dark Crystal was 10x better than Mando. I couldn't even be bothered to finish the first season.

And I wanted desperately to like the show. I figured it would match Dark Crystal but fuck no it didn't even come close. Such a disappointment.

Everything about The Dark Crystal is better. Every. Single. Thing.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
It's been said so many times that gamepass will cater to the 2 billion casuals out there. That it will be the Netflix of gaming one day. But is it really though?

Reason #2: It's different how we consume games from movies and shows. A gamer would play 1 game or 2 for months and months. A gamer would find no value in a service with thousands of games if what he wants to play is not included in such a service.

Reason #3: A streaming service of games that you have to play for $10-$15 will have to compete with free-to-play games that are very popular among the casuals.

If even among the console and PC gamers, gamepass is a hard sell. How could one expect that it will appeal to casual gamers?

how about compare Gamepass to PSnow or does that not fit the agenda?

or how about the title Disney+ has 80 million subscribers PSnow only has 2.2million lol

Last edited:

FastOrc

Gamepass has more content than Disney+, I get more from Gamepass than I have for my year subscription to Disney+.
Going to cancel D+ in march.

Chukhopops

Gamepass has more content than Disney+, I get more from Gamepass than I have for my year subscription to Disney+.
Going to cancel D+ in march.
I was about to say the same, it was nice catching up on the MCU shit but I don’t see myself keeping it when there’s literally two running shows I watch (Mandalorian and Wandavision which isn’t even that good). Even Soul was actually disappointing.

GP on the other hand is consistent value and every month I finish at least one GP game (indie or not) so it feels worth the can of Pringles I had to buy to get 3 years of GPU.

S0ULZB0URNE

Says the Mando Bandwagoner.

Dark Crystal was 10x better than Mando. I couldn't even be bothered to finish the first season.

And I wanted desperately to like the show. I figured it would match Dark Crystal but fuck no it didn't even come close. Such a disappointment.

Everything about The Dark Crystal is better. Every. Single. Thing.
wow

jufonuk

not tag worthy
One is passive entertainment of varying lengths you can dip in and out that require no effort to View and the other contains games that can take up a lot of your time, demand a varying length of time and if you don’t have the time to dedicate you cannot complete them.

a tv show you dedicate the run time to You progress and complete it

Dedicate the same amount of time to the game. You might not have even make significant progress.

It doesn’t make sense as games as an on demand service. You could end up paying the same fee for the one game. The more games you play on the service the more you have to complete in the end it becomes too much. You’re better off just buying one or two games and devoting time to them.

Justin9mm

Not even comparable.

The percentage of people who watch TV shows and or Movies.. Families with kids etc. Is like majority of the world lol

Plus Gamepass is full of filler and when you do get some really good games they are on short rotation. And where is this $1 subscription coming from? We had that once in Australia like two years ago otherwise its $15.95 per month.. I don't know how its always $1.. Its not $1 most places around the world.

Allandor

That's simple: TV audience >>>>>>>> gaming audience

This is really a fanboy made thread, should just be closed.
Why does every slightly positive news from MS has to create negative threads for them? Just accept the number, accept that it is because of their $1 start entry and it is good.
Are those numbers doctored? For sure, at least as far as they can go, as no company wants to put themselfs into a bad light, especially if they want to start something "new". If you compare those numbers, compare them to some kind of the "same" service. E.g. PS Now, the nvidia streaming service (just don't remember the name), google stadia, ...
But taking something that is just not comparable is not leading anywhere.

Seeing this thread reminds me of that fun-statistic
https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Ferikaandersen%2Ffiles%2F2012%2F03%2Fw1467103173.jpg

Less pirates -> higher temperatures. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Edit: of I forgot the source of the picture True Fact: The Lack of Pirates Is Causing Global Warming (forbes.com)

Last edited:

Games just cost way too much to make, far more than films and tv shows and also take far longer. Then the potential audience is far smaller than film streaming.

As you said, they have to compete with COD Warzone, Fortnite, Genshin Impact, Apex Legends and all sorts of other free to play games.

A massive portion of gamers are Fifa, COD or Madden only gamers, they buy their game every year and don't want to know about anything else...they just don't care.

Then you have hardcore gamers.... most of which love buying their games, love physical and collectors editions and value ownership.

At the moment it is just conversion of Xbox customers to Gamepass customers.... they have in or around half of their userbase changed over, which is impressive.
But my feeling is that it will slow down at some point in the next few months rather quickly and the curve will flatten out and either hold or drop when promotions start going away. Assuming existing customers will no longer be able to avail of promotions.

shhhhhh..

Here we go.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

I know this will likely get brushed aside as a "Sony Pony post", but this can lead to a meaningful discussion.

#1: I don't think MS is going after the AAA industry anymore. Yes, they will produce some AAA games every now and then (especially after that Bethesda acquisition), but take that last-minute Bethesda acquisition out (calling it last-minute, because I don't believe it was in their initial plans, as Matt also said in Nov. 2019 that their focus is now no longer on studio acquisition after all the recent picks), the main focus for MS would be to fill GP with content = AA games. Most of their acquisitions (NinjaTheory, Double Fine, InXile, etc. also validate that theory).

Also, AAA game development costs are too much -- only to have those games day one on a subscription service. I don't see MS producing many $100-$200 million games going forward, like Sony is currently doing.

#2: That's the most interesting point. I can definitely relate to it. Here is how I see it:

I prefer and play high-quality AAA games more often than not. And I know that no AAA third-party games go on GP day one (except for MS's first-party exclusives that are still years away). Like I still have to buy Assassin's Creed, Cyberpunk, Red Dead Redemption 2, etc, despite having GamePass.

This means that I'd be paying $180 per year as a baseline and then $60 or $70 per AAA game when it launches. Yes, GamePass has plenty of awesome games, but does it have the game I want to play right now?

It isn't necessarily a GamePass problem, but it's a problem with most subscription services.

Last edited:
OP's comparison is probably not as insane as it first appears (but it really does appear insane until you really think about it).

Sure, traditional AAA console gaming is super niche compared to TV and movies, but that's the entire point of gamepass and, important to bare in mind, Xcloud.

Those two combined are meant, and likely by Microsoft upper management, expected to bring gaming to the same mainstream audience that non interactive streaming subscriptions like Disney Plus do.

And in that context, I would strongly suspect those same upper management types are indeed asking why Gamepass has only sold 18m when Disney Plus has sold 80m.

Of course the real reason it hasn't, and never will get, the mega subscriber numbers that successful streaming services get, is because while the mainstream audience does play games, the games they play are mobile ones. Free time wasters with zero depth or value.

And as good of a value as Gamepass is, it's not free, so it's never going to get that big audience other streaming services need to offset the costs.

Which does lead to the question, are Microsoft going to be happy if gamepass and Xcloud only ever get an audience of a few dozen million people, like Xbox does? Is that financially viable long term? Or was the entire project sold to the higher ups that hold the purse strings, on the idea that this would bring AAA console gaming to the masses, bypassing the need for expensive hardware entirely, and truly being 'the Netflix of gaming'?

I suspect it's the latter, because the numbers involved in the cost and comparative revenue generated by gamepass compared to traditional gaming, given the potential audience of 100% of Xbox owners (being as generous as possible), has never added up.

Add in the hundreds of millions of of normies that are counted as gamers because they play candy crush, that both journalists and executives outside gaming have no idea are a completely different animal to traditional gamers, and suddenly those numbers balance. Except, well, they won't, will they?

Hence why most everyone so far in this thread has looked at this comparison and laughed, because we know it's stupid.

But everyone who thinks Gamepass is a good thing better hope Microsoft (note Microsoft, not the Xbox division) would have laughed too.

N30RYU

I don't know where I have read it that MS needs 40M subs to sustain que gamepass service?

Last edited:
Top Bottom