• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prediction: Microsoft will become third party by the end of next gen.

This is entirely untrue. GamePass which is basically just the front-facing brand for XCloud, which in turn is the consumer monetization arm of Azure, is MS' future.

They are buying IP at extreme cost, purely to create the content pipeline needed for all the above to succeed.
Nope. Azure is a server service and doesnt require any content whatsoever, even Sony uses Azure.

What your pointing too is the potential to use Azure for cloud gaming and having the content to back that up. But you're omitting that Azure doesn't NEED content at all, it already does extremely well just being what it is.

Nice try.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
What in tarnation no way Jose

I was expecting this maaaaaayybe if the Activisions deals didn't go through but nows if MS gets it they are in goods shape in the future and Starfields will be biiiiiggggggg

Corndog

Banned
John Candy No GIF by Laff
I think if Xbox does poorly Microsoft would just sell them.

Stuart360

I forgot to put in my other post that the PC market is around 200mil gamers, which is like Xbox and Sony put together, a large part of Switch too. So yes they def have enough potential customers for Gamepass.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
This is certainly a take

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Nope. Azure is a server service and doesnt require any content whatsoever, even Sony uses Azure.

What your pointing too is the potential to use Azure for cloud gaming and having the content to back that up. But you're omitting that Azure doesn't NEED content at all, it already does extremely well just being what it is.

Nice try.

You do realize that all the "cloud" is, is somebody else's computer right?

What data the racks in the datacentres are serving matters less than the revenue generated by providing those services.

If consumer revenue didn't matter to MS, they wouldn't have launched Xbox in the first place.

Roni

Gold Member
If anything, Xbox might become a general purpose computing device that runs Windows and can play games. There's no reason to sell a machine that powerful just for games...

With the right input device they could start offering office and other stuff and have people not buy an actual Desktop...

Last edited:

Ansphn

Honestly this would be the most profitable route for them. I don't think they can get their base to buy games even with Activision under their umbrella.

Unknown?

That's one smoking hot take right there!

Xbox cant compete? They launched the xbox brand into thin air, turned that into the smash hit 360. This gen has been pure recovery for the worst console release since dreamcast(xbox1/kinect).

As usual ppl conflate not being first place with not be being successful.

Becoming 3rd party is a step backwards. You dont spend 70B and become an unholy monopoly to then not leverage your position.

Gamepass is irrelevant longterm. It's not core to their overall identity and if it's bad they can drop it. It's great value and PR right now and is frankly thier saving grace this gen. It could easily act as a band aaid this gen while they build IP for the next gen (which finally seems to be happening? 2024 good?). If not they can keep sinking money into it until it works.

Ppl are way too concerned about winning. Fact is, MS can afford to lose 100 X what Sony and Nintendo can, that matters. Sony built thier brand off 10/10 sp games and are now banking hard on mtx MP games. I'd argue that's a much bigger gamble than gamepass, as Playstations brand is what carries them and losing that would be a huge blow. What will MS lose? Money? Like they give a fuck. Let's not be so short sighted.
Affording to lose more isn't competing. Competing would be making a better product.

LRKD

I do believe that is their end game is to be a service, not a platform. Hence the push of gamepass, while they now people aren't ready for it quite yet, they are doing everything they can to get a headstart on the others.

I'm actually looking forward to what they do for PC gaming in general... I would trust them more than Sony/Nintendo when it comes to that. There is zero chance Microsoft will keep games away from PC and just put them on xbox

Why include Nintendo in that part of the conversation? Nintendo's made it clear they intend to stay exclusive, occasional mobile side game nonwithstanding.

twilo99

Why include Nintendo in that part of the conversation? Nintendo's made it clear they intend to stay exclusive, occasional mobile side game nonwithstanding.

Because they are withholding their games from PC players and Microsoft won’t.

It’s a hypothetical IF Sony or Nintendo acquired ABK they might take away more games from PC than Microsoft would.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Anyone paying attention can see their only goal now is to drive gamepass subs by any means necessary. They want people locked into those recurring payments and their ecosystem.

twilo99

Anyone paying attention can see their only goal now is to drive gamepass subs by any means necessary. They want people locked into those recurring payments and their ecosystem.

You are not “locked” into anything, it’s not like it’s a 12 month contract with early termination fees.

Lasha

If anything, Xbox might become a general purpose computing device that runs Windows and can play games. There's no reason to sell a machine that powerful just for games...

With the right input device they could start offering office and other stuff and have people not buy an actual Desktop...

I've been waiting for that future since Microsoft announced that it sees Xbox as a platform. Commodity hardware is the end game of consoles. Xbox PC with productivity and media services is a logical step towards that reality.

Last edited:

tr1p1ex

MSFT loves their Azure. they want everyone paying them $$$ every month to game from the cloud.

I don't see it any time soon. after all, video still buffers so you don't get hiccups. And even then you sometimes get hiccups. gaming has to work in real time.

I stop reading once i seen they own more than half of the gaming. Don’t believe you really know how big gaming is and this really don’t even make much a difference even just for the console market.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
They can become 3rd party AND 1st party at the same time, no reason to give up on xbox especially when the bulk of their gamepass subs are on xbox.
This merger is the antithesis of what op is stating. Its literally the COMPLETE opposite. I can't even fathom how you spend $70 billion on the largest acquisition in the history of gaming and then go 3rd party. Not a chance in hell ..

Because they are withholding their games from PC players and Microsoft won’t.

It’s a hypothetical IF Sony or Nintendo acquired ABK they might take away more games from PC than Microsoft would.

Nintendo shouldn't have to put their games on PC if they don't want to. And they almost never do permanent 3rd party exclusives.

BlackTron

This merger is the antithesis of what op is stating. Its literally the COMPLETE opposite. I can't even fathom how you spend $70 billion on the largest acquisition in the history of gaming and then go 3rd party. Not a chance in hell ..
Anyone paying attention can see their only goal now is to drive gamepass subs by any means necessary.

Gaming studios buy other gaming studios all the time, even though their goal is not to sell silicone. I see MS having a console just as an easy option to access Gamepass. Gamepass is already on PC, and MS already publishes games third party. They spent 70bn to bolster their software portfolio. From their vantage point, Xbox consoles could have been the main force behind accessing it, but it doesn't have to be.

In other words, they're already third party. If you buy a digital Xbox game, you can use the Xbox app on PC to play it on your PC. They have stuff on PS and Nintendo. The Xbox console itself is just another access point and icon of the brand you wouldn't want to take away. It's there so no one will say "they went third party!" even though they already did. Hell, the CEO recently said he hates exclusive games.

dem

Highly doubt it.

They have to keep that console bet out there for the foreseeable future. The prospect of owning a market leading storefront is too lucrative.

You have to keep those chips in play.

StueyDuck

You don't spend 70bil with the plan to "outspend Sony out of the market" in order to just go 3rd party 🤣.

The plan is to be the only console available and create a stranglehold on the market.

ahtlas7

Xbox leadership already admitted they lack ability to make good games so how would that sell as 3rd party.

Rykan

While the deal for Activition is still not closed yet, it’s extremely likely it will. Microsoft now owns more than half of the gaming industry (something many people predicted when they announced they would enter the gaming industry with the Xbox).
Eh...No they don't? It's not even close. How do you even make such a blatantly inaccurate statement in your opening paragraph?

Last edited:

REDRZA MWS

keep Dreaming. They already have the largest install base by FAR, Xbox+PC. All they need to do now is pump out great games and exclusives FTW.

Sony and playstation will be more than fine. Playstation is a word renown brand known for their excellent consoles and games.

No reason at all either company will ever entertain the thought if 3rd party only.

You know, I thought about this for a second. If Sony ever allowed GamePass on their platform I'm sure MS would jump at the chance to put a more expensive version of GamePass (30% to cover the liscense fee) on the PS5. Certainly wouldn't affect me in any way, so I'd welcome you all to the best deal in gaming.

No chance they stop making consoles though. Of course you have a flying pig's chance of rooting for a snowball in Hell that Sony ever allows this, so 🤷‍♂️.

That's one smoking hot take right there!

Xbox cant compete? They launched the xbox brand into thin air, turned that into the smash hit 360. This gen has been pure recovery for the worst console release since dreamcast(xbox1/kinect).

As usual ppl conflate not being first place with not be being successful.

Becoming 3rd party is a step backwards. You dont spend 70B and become an unholy monopoly to then not leverage your position.

Gamepass is irrelevant longterm. It's not core to their overall identity and if it's bad they can drop it. It's great value and PR right now and is frankly thier saving grace this gen. It could easily act as a band aaid this gen while they build IP for the next gen (which finally seems to be happening? 2024 good?). If not they can keep sinking money into it until it works.

Ppl are way too concerned about winning. Fact is, MS can afford to lose 100 X what Sony and Nintendo can, that matters. Sony built thier brand off 10/10 sp games and are now banking hard on mtx MP games. I'd argue that's a much bigger gamble than gamepass, as Playstations brand is what carries them and losing that would be a huge blow. What will MS lose? Money? Like they give a fuck. Let's not be so short sighted.
Yup, Apple is behind Android in terms of overall install base worldwide, that means they not successful?

Being no.2 or 3 doesn't mean you not successful. Xbox is successfull, they just not as successful as PS or Nintendo.

That's light saying Ferrari is behind coz they sell less cars than Toyota..

Last edited:
You do realize that all the "cloud" is, is somebody else's computer right?

What data the racks in the datacentres are serving matters less than the revenue generated by providing those services.

If consumer revenue didn't matter to MS, they wouldn't have launched Xbox in the first place.
Do you? By nature the cloud is just a server and servers do not NEED games or a gaming service with owned IP.

Sorry kid, this isn't a debate. Look at Azure figures right now and then explain how it NEEDS Gamepass, it doesnt, end of.

Is the plan to have full vertical integration from IP, to Publisher, to studio, to hardware and server provider, yes ofcourse that is the current plan.

Is it necessary and does Azure exist solely for this purpose, no, not even close.

Many companies own servers and none of them are required to own video game content to make them profitable.

Again, nice try. Figures dont lie.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Right, makes perfect sense they would want to be at the whims of other companies and give up 30% of thier revenue. I mean who wouldn't want to own a company that requires the permission of other companies just to sell product.

Top Bottom