• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox is on track to knock Sony PlayStation down to third place for the first time in history

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Kevin Bacon Good Luck GIF by PeacockTV

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
This is wrong.

They couldnt afford for Starfield (a brand new IP from Bethesda) to go Sony exclusive because this wouldnt benefit the brand in any sense of the word. From Gamepass to consoles to their cloud initiative, etc. You gravitate to consoles because, again, you think its the ONLY metric for success. It just isnt. Not anymore.

Microsoft figured out long ago that they couldnt compete for console sales with Sony and Nintendo as both companies made consoles their bread and butter over the span of decades. Both companies have mastered the traditional business method when it comes to consoles.

So, they figured out how to compete on an entirely different path with software and more importantly, Gamepass. software is Microsoft's bread and butter. Since then, they've been increasing their revenue with their own business model - a page out of their own playbook. They were never gonna beat Sony or Nintendo at their own game. Now, you see them growing Gamepass, buying developers and publishers to feed the same machine. What's happening now is their revenue is increasing. By adding ABK (mobile) to the game with so many billion dollar IPs, the revenue is about to skyrocket - even past Sony for top revenue in the gaming business. When ABK and Bethesda were acquired, they weren't simply buying publishers, they were cementing their own business model as viable and profitable, even moreso than their closest competitor. GaaS games have ALWAYS been on the menu for Xbox, as well. This new business mode Microsoft has introduced is the "gaming landscape" thats changed people, are talking about.

Sony has been learning this. Again, this is why they are now offering their own games on PC. Their trying to grow their own brand from depending exclusively on consoles as that business model just isnt sustainable anymore. You hear developers talking about how it just isnt sustainable to depend on simply single player games. GaaS HAS TO become a part of the equation as well.

So, yes. the game has changed, exponentially. And though many may not agree, Sony is behind in it. Still a great steward in this industry but, they need to get busy. and I say that as someone who prefers Xbox but still want Sony in the game for years to come.
I don't understand your first sentence. I was talking about Starfield not being mutiplatform. How is allowing that game on Playstation like Bethesda planned to before making the game bad for Gamepass, their cloud initiative, etc? When we know that COD will be for at least a decade? For me it is a sign that they still want their console to be succesful.
Sony got in the gaming market with the Playstation on Japan in December 1994. Xbox did it in 2001. And they had games since the 90s. So I hope that by decades you are not saying decades more than Xbox. Only Nintendo had that. And Sony found a way to enter the market and be very good at it anyway. I do admit that Xbox is trying another strategy. They are pivoting to Gamepass. But we know from the FTC leakthat Gamepass will be a small part of Xbox for the next few years at least. Phil said that it was 15%. So the console is still a important part of the gaming market. I am curious about your vision of Xbox in the next 3 years. How will for example the rumored PS5 Pro and Switch 2 change Xbox marketshare? If we are in a new era it should not harm them at all right? Or the possibility of them to have a next gen console early. As for Sony, they are working on GAAS. We will see how that work out for them.

Fabieter

We have to wait a year at least to see what they do with avb and where they go with that revenue because buying one of the biggest companies in the world and tell investors we make more money is pretty stupid. Imagine paying investors 70b in dividends instead of spinning this.

Banjo64

cumsessed
From reeeeee :messenger_loudly_crying:

I am absolutely giddy to hear this this news, and Phil deserves profound praise for the steady and enterprising growth the Xbox division has seen under his watchful care. It's so awesome to see one of the industry's big three players evolving to new heights under the capable care and supervision of an individual that champions games and gamers first.

It's been a continued pleasure continuing to witness Microsoft plan and execute bold moves; and support, embolden, and empower their internal development teams to help showcase their best and ready their focus on key releases (across platforms in many cases); and I can't wait to celebrate the new Microsoft, Bethesda, and Activision releases being readied down the pipeline. This is a win for all of us.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
This is like controlling an award show and giving yourself the top award. Also lol @ spending 60+ billion so you can brag about being number 2, when the actual number 2 just did the work needed to get there.

Sir, this is a Windows Central article, not an Xbox blog post.

It's hard to tell the difference.

It's not even a Windows Central article, he's reporting another source.

Analysis firm Newzoo recently released a detailed report

This isn't mentioned in the OP, of course.

I am absolutely giddy to hear this this news, and Phil deserves profound praise for the steady and enterprising growth the Xbox division has seen under his watchful care. It's so awesome to see one of the industry's big three players evolving to new heights under the capable care and supervision of an individual that champions games and gamers first.

It's been a continued pleasure continuing to witness Microsoft plan and execute bold moves; and support, embolden, and empower their internal development teams to help showcase their best and ready their focus on key releases (across platforms in many cases); and I can't wait to celebrate the new Microsoft, Bethesda, and Activision releases being readied down the pipeline. This is a win for all of us.

No lies detected ;)

Last edited:

BrunoCoel

Probably from a mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom