• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox is on track to knock Sony PlayStation down to third place for the first time in history

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Happy Daniel Bryan GIF by WWE

Topher

Gold Member
And Avalanche software went from licensed forgettable games to the biggest selling new game in Hogwarts Legacy just by being handed a decent budget and scope.

Ain't always that simple, but WB seems to have a knack for producing games from existing IP. They did the same with Batman and Shador of Mordor.

FrankWza

A survey of staff in gaming showed there was a higher number of engagements announced in 2023 in Microsoft than the number of engagements by Tencent, Sony or Nintendo staff.

Congrats Microsoft staff and good luck with the weddings.
Standing by for reach numbers Richard

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
They are, Activision is first party. 🤷‍♂️
No they aren’t. Stop the stupidity, they bought publisher with already top ranking
Oh, so just write a check for already successful companies…that’s just as impressive to you as Microsoft starting up the initiative and actually releasing a killer app Perfect Dark game?
No, he knows the difference. He is acting obtuse because he has to root for a plastic box that does nothing for hiim, but take his money. People like this are who corporations know they can do anything to and they will take it in the bum and just say ok.

It is quite embarrassing and pathetic people are like this, but every company has them.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Well, if you liked MWII who am I to claim otherwise. Thing is, they turned the DLC into a full game (MWIII) because MWII did not have the player retention they wanted. The game was just not as good as it should have been, opinions aside.

COD is not like Madden/NBA2K, because those games have licenses that make them relevant. COD is just a brand, if it is shit game after shit game then people will find another shooter to play. MS cannot rely on inertia alone. I think there is plenty of evidence that Activision can no longer handle the dev cycle they established in the late 2000s at the quality it needs to be at.

Who is gonna make it? Deviation Games? Nobody else can crank out a competent competitive FpS every year.

ungalo

And they are on track to have the first console since the Wii U that sold less units in its third year than before.

Comparisons are getting more meaningless every year. Xbox is as much a third party publisher as it is a console manufacturer.

X-Wing

I’m curious how much revenue would be killed by taking CoD onto gamepass

My guess is Phil won’t put their games day and date on the service like other MS first party
Microsoft only represented less than 10% of the COD revenue. If they do that only for console they won't be losing much.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
The difference is Sony made those games, MS didn't make any of these Acti/Blizz/Bethesda games, they were already being made. The article is giving MS the credit for opening their cheque book.
It's like giving Sony credit for Destiny.
What's the difference? Games are still being made by the same studios. They all just have different owners now. Nothing has changed aside from the name over the door. Weird flex..

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Oh, so just write a check for already successful companies…that’s just as impressive to you as Microsoft starting up the initiative and actually releasing a killer app Perfect Dark game?

No they aren’t. Stop the stupidity, they bought publisher with already top ranking

The whole premise of the article is combining Activision's revenue since becoming a first party.

Y'all need to chill.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Who is gonna make it? Deviation Games? Nobody else can crank out a competent competitive FpS every year.

They dont need to anymore, and Activision's insistence they do is maybe part of the problem. The entire company revolved around them releasing a $70 game for their simps and shills every year, and even when they tried to get away from it they couldn't. If Activision cannot operate at this scale then nobody can - we KNOW Microsoft cannot, they cant even put together a battle pass for their FPS.

Gavon West

The article is not that bad. Some good bits that make it a little more than copium:

It is true that buying Activision means that Xbox will obviously continue to exist in the foreseeable future. But we all know that it won't help them in the console front unless they do drastic mesures like putting COD on Gamepass, and that would cost them a lot. For me the most interesting will be the reaction of the market to that move. Will Sony work with EA to make a COD killer? Will Take Two use the opportunity to have a hard stance against Xbox and like Activision did for COD have a great deal to put GTA 6 on Xbox? Will Xbox manage Activision studios better as unlike previous management they may want to give Blizzard the time to make the games that they were known for? Or will the studios no longer feel the fear of failure as they know that Microsoft has basically infinite money?

In a few years some gamers will play their first game and for them what happened in 2023 will be ancient history. Outside of them it will take decades for that to happen IMHO and a lot can happen in the next few years that will change the industry even more like Steam will maybe selling itself when Gabe Newell will inevitably grow old/ die/ stop caring as much about his company. I am angainst it, but we have to recognise that it is a really big move from Microsoft in the gaming space.

Amen to that.
The #1 reason Microsoft bought ABK, Bethesda and other studios is because Xbox goes beyond just consoles. Xbox is no longer a console, it's the platform. Where Sony counts on console sales almost exclusively, console is just a part of the platform itself with Xbox. They Garner much more with software by allowing you to play on pretty much any device you want. There's a stark difference there.

Topher

Gold Member
The whole premise of the article is combining Activision's revenue since becoming a first party.

Y'all need to chill.

And? That wasn't the premise of the post being discussed....

Meh. I'd actually be impressed if they did this with their own studios and IP.

Clearly he is saying it would have been more impressive if Xbox studios could have achieved this on their own without buying ABK. And yeah, that would certainly have been more impressive. So....perhaps you need to chill?

Last edited:

Vlodril

What does it matter how much revenue they are making. How much profit will the new company bring? They spend 70 billion for it. How much time will it take to recoup that and start actually making money from this acquisition?

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University

Y'all need to chill.

Y'all need to chill.
I think what folks are saying is that people like you and that Riki kid, are full stop the documentary Idiocracy. Don’t worry though my youngest son is 22 and his nickname is half-retard because he pays real money for digital currency to buy digital haircuts and outfits that have no value in games all the time.

So I put a box by the TV that says half retard to Dad fund, so he can at least give it to someone who will save it for him. Some of you seem worse than him and that is embarrassing.

It’s the bending over for a corporation that doesn’t care or even know of you that weirds people like me out.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
And? That wasn't the premise of the post being discussed....

Clearly he is saying it would have been more impressive if Xbox studios could have achieved this on their own without buying ABK. And yeah, that would certainly have been more impressive. So....perhaps you need to chill?

I'm not the one denying objective reality though.

The sooner people realize Activision *is* indeed first party now, the sooner we can move on from being surprised at articles like this.

th4tguy

This only works if they can maintain or grow those revenue streams. MS just can’t do it. They lack cohesive management to handle this long term.
I bet within 10 years they have been forced to shutter half of the studios.

Gavon West

Modern Warfare 2 was quite good IMO. Maybe it’s because I hadn’t played CoD in a very long time but I got like 200+ hours out of the multiplayer.

CoD is kinda like Madden and NBA2k. Even if everyone knows it sucks this year theyll still buy it because there’s no viable competitor every year and nobody else has the resources to get it done at their pace.
So people still buy CoD because they've got nothing else to spend their money on in the FPS space? Doesnt compute.

People who are buying CoD buy it because they want to play it. Regardless what the vocal minority may think, the annual numbers suggest otherwise. Greatly so, I might add.

Sony bought out Insomniac Games in 2019, Housemarque in 2021, Guerilla Games in 2005, Bluepoint Games in 2021, Nixxes in 2021, Sucker Punch in 2011, Naughty Dog in 2001, none of those studios were founded by Sony. My point being is give it a few years and people will adjust to the idea that Bethesda games and Acti-Blizz games are MS first party games too.

Friday Movie GIF

Put it on the list of things that aren’t an issue if it’s Sony doing it. I assume a lot of people here are too young to remember Sony coming into the industry and putting their foot in the door by spending a lot of money. It’s taken MS three generations to realize they should probably do the same thing, but now they’re doing it.

Yes, they’re set up to make a fuckton of money. And still some think they want to exit the hardware space and give up all that revenue 😬

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Friday Movie GIF

Put it on the list of things that aren’t an issue if it’s Sony doing it. I assume a lot of people here are too young to remember Sony coming into the industry and putting their foot in the door by spending a lot of money. It’s taken MS three generations to realize they should probably do the same thing, but now they’re doing it.

Yes, they’re set up to make a fuckton of money. And still some think they want to exit the hardware space and give up all that revenue 😬
We now enter the Psygnosis stage of the cope

X-Wing

Exactly he and anyone following him are idiots.

Euh...The tweet you are quoting is most likely wrong though.
Microsoft accounts for less than 10% of Activision's revenue (last time it was more than that was in 2020), even if you take that out they still surpass Sony after the merger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom