• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prediction: Microsoft will become third party by the end of next gen.

MS will be 3rd party, Nintendo will be 3rd party. Keep hearing this the whole time. All that matters is games, good games. Period. With all the maths you made up, do you think MS, as 3rd party, will sell more games with their current output? I donā€™t think so.

Schmick

Makes you think if Xbox going 3rd party is actually a good thing for Sony. Just thinking about where the handheld industry is going at the moment with numerous companies bringing their own devices, why wouldn't they consider the console market if MS dropped out. Or even come out with their own Switch clone with their handhelds and introduce a simple docking system. I think Sony would have to seriously reconsider their stance on publishing games to PC if Xbox went 3rd Party.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Virtually impossible. Their war chest is pretty much infinite.

Ironically, I see Sony either going third party is the distant future or being bought out or merging with another company.

You guys are biased fanboys and frame your deep desires as objective analysis
Well...that infinite warchest didn't stop MS from dropping out the smartphone hardware market. They also made an earth shattering acquisition when they bought Nokia.

ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ

Anything's possible.

Last edited:

Ironically, I see Sony either going third party is the distant future or being bought out or merging with another company.

I hate this type of post more than any other in all of gaming discourse. ā€œMS infinite money therefore thing you say cannot happen, but Sony, on the other hand, it can happen toā€ what a cop out

Sanepar

This is it they have all the money and they will buy all they can to enforce people on their ecosystem model(gamepass and cloud future)

Well...that infinite warchest didn't stop MS from dropping out the smartphone hardware market. They also made an earth shattering acquisition when they bought Nokia.

ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ

Anything's possible.

You just reminded me of the ZUNE. I know one real life person who had that thing.

tusharngf

Given the BANK they have it will take another 50years. Azure and cloud business is booming rapidly and they know service sector has more money. They will keep gamepass on every device except nintendo or sony.

Sethbacca

MS will be 3rd party, Nintendo will be 3rd party. Keep hearing this the whole time. All that matters is games, good games. Period. With all the maths you made up, do you think MS, as 3rd party, will sell more games with their current output? I donā€™t think so.
Nintendo has well managed IP with consistent quality output. Microsoft.... well.... not so much.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ

Anything's possible.
At its peak (2015), MS revenue from smartphones was 1.3bn USD.

Xbox generated way more than that even at the worst of the XBO generation, not to mention todayā€™s results and growth over the past years.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
It would all come down to whether competitors like Sony or Nintendo would allow Game Pass onto their platforms, which I don't think is remotely possible.

I actually think Microsoft would like to exit the hardware business, and just provide Game Pass on PCs, consoles, and Smart TVs/mobile devices via xCloud, but the competition being uninterested in allowing Game Pass into their ecosystem pretty much forces Microsoft to continue to build their own hardware.

JackMcGunns

Microsoft wants Xbox to reach industry leadership by 2030, plans to double Xbox revenews

Prediction: Microsoft will become third party by the end of next gen

neogaf25rugz.gif

Beechos

I feel like I'm on a msg board about sports here and not gaming. Signing all the top players and winning a championship is fake and doesn't count. It's only supposed to count if you win with all homegrown players......can't one argue without aaa games the indie scene would not be as big along with growing aa.

Last edited:

Mr.ODST

Guy just posted Woketaku links ... LOL

On a serious note.

Xbox consoles are just a gateway into the ecosystem of Xbox, for example I can play my Xbox, carry my game on my PC or XCloud etc, games being cross buy and more.

People are so focused on Xbox not selling well forgetting that in the end they are trying to build an ecosystem across multiple platforms and things like Elder Scrolls, Starfield are "Platform Exclusive" not console exclusive, they have looked at he bigger picture of how this industry is shaping.

IF it works who knows but so much focus on Xbox Sales not realising they make a ridiculous profit off other platforms

I donā€™t see them going 3rd party at all. Microsoft can take losses that no one else can in the industry.

That being said I share the same sentiment it seems other here do. I have not REALLY enjoyed anything Microsoft has done since the 360 era outside of Forza Horizon and even that sort of died for me with FH5. I adore the original Xbox and I also really enjoyed 360 but XBO was meh (and I bought every single version of it sometimes multiple times) and Series X/S has been the same for me.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Guy just posted Woketaku links ... LOL

On a serious note.

Xbox consoles are just a gateway into the ecosystem of Xbox, for example I can play my Xbox, carry my game on my PC or XCloud etc, games being cross buy and more.

People are so focused on Xbox not selling well forgetting that in the end they are trying to build an ecosystem across multiple platforms and things like Elder Scrolls, Starfield are "Platform Exclusive" not console exclusive, they have looked at he bigger picture of how this industry is shaping.

IF it works who knows but so much focus on Xbox Sales not realising they make a ridiculous profit off other platforms
Sure woketaku has some shitty takes but court document are everything but a lack of receipts, something that Gavon West Gavon West has apprently trouble understanding but if you wanty you can look up online there's countless sources talking about it.
I do agree about Xbox being a footstep into the Xbox ecosystem, just as well as gamepass is too but since they don't want to share gamepass numbers and haven't been boasting a milestone in MAU in quite some time (unless I missed a statement from MS) but I'd argue that so far it doesn't look to be working that well.

Sethbacca

And it really helped them, especially during WiiU era, right?
The WiiU catastrophe was widely regarded an unforced error in marketing. It's all armchair quarterbacking at this point but had they gone with something like Wii 2 or Super Wii it would likely have turned out different.

If I'm being real, it probably still wouldn't have been great. Just less bad.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

Worldā€™s Biggest Weeb
The WiiU catastrophe was widely regarded an unforced error in marketing. It's all armchair quarterbacking at this point but had they gone with something like Wii 2 or Super Wii it would likely have turned out different.

If I'm being real, it probably still wouldn't have been great. Just less bad.
Man I think you could literally write a book about all the things they fucked up with Wii U (and I would read it!)

Iā€™m not sure how much the name really mattered though. Wii and DS both had weird ass names but became their two biggest successes in spite of it (or because of it?) Whereas by the end of the generation the ā€œWiiā€ name was old and busted. Seemed like by 2012 the vast majority of the casual audience had zero interest in a ā€œnext gen Wiiā€ regardless what it was called.

Lol Microsoft is already Third Party though. They put games on Nintendo Switch, PC and now that the Activision deal is sure to go through, they will make deals with Sony and bring Call of Duty to PS5. Microsoft is turning more into a content service company than a hardware company. I can see GamePass showing up on Switch 2 and PS5

ByWatterson

Maybe?

Aren't we learning that subscription services, writ large, are not as profitable as investors had hoped? And we basically know they're even less viable (outside of back catalog content) for games.

So Microsoft does have motivation to go third party, sure, but if they have to do so, it's because Gamepass has already failed.

Top Bottom