• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There are more Disney subs than Gamepass subs. OP reaches stupid conclusion.

It's been said so many times that gamepass will cater to the 2 billion casuals out there. That it will be the Netflix of gaming one day. But is it really though?

Few of the reasons why I disagree:

Reason #1: Movies and shows appeal to the casuals. AAA gaming is niche.

Reason #2: It's different how we consume games from movies and shows. A gamer would play 1 game or 2 for months and months. A gamer would find no value in a service with thousands of games if what he wants to play is not included in such a service.

Reason #3: A streaming service of games that you have to play for $10-$15 will have to compete with free-to-play games that are very popular among the casuals.

If even among the console and PC gamers, gamepass is a hard sell. How could one expect that it will appeal to casual gamers?

Last edited:
Vine Ok GIF

MagnesG

Banned

Reason #2: It's different how we consume games from movies and shows. A gamer would play 1 game or 2 for months and months. A gamer would find no value in a service with thousands of games if what he wants to play is not included in such a service.

Reason #3: A streaming service of games that you have to play for $10-$15 will have to compete with free-to-play games that are very popular among the casuals.
No. Disney have the biggest IP trove in the world right now. If anything them 80m sub is still small for their standards and could get bigger in the long run.

Tschumi

I really think... Familiarity needs contempt. You have access to every game, games seem less valuable. So you cbf so much. Maybe some gamers get a hunch along these lines and kind of make a lowkey choice built on how they perceive themselves in relation to game ownership... Which might, i dunno, have some connection to how much they care about games.

Movies on the other hand are one use things, i mean not strictly but they're self contained messages that get across in one, or a few different, sittings. So having access to heaps of these self contained joypacks is different to having hundreds of thousands of hours of hugely varied and inconsistent forms of entertainment.. sitting in your lap..

I said it on another thread but i really resent his much money i have set aside to spend on games these days, because for the last decade or so I've been building up a huge library of games, and I'm sure I've missed out on some gems purely because of how crowded my library is.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Oh come on now. You may as well compare Gamepass to Netflix and Amazon Prime too while you're at it. A gaming subscription service isnt going to get close to those numbers, even if it was the only way to actually play games.
There is one thing i know, i bet if you offered Microsoft 18mil subs in 3 years before Gamepass first launched, they would of bit your hand off.
Its been a huge success, and growing by millions every quarter. Just wait to the starfileds, Fallouts, Dooms, Halo's, ElderScrolls, etc launch on it, subs will be huge imo.

ZehDon

Gold Member
"Why the postal service has hundreds of millions of users at 75 cents a stamp, while Gamepass is struggling with just 18 million users with $1 promotions"
"Why are people calling this the Netflix of games? You can't even watch movies on it - all you can do is play games!"
"Why are people comparing the disruption of the traditional video game model with a game subscription service to the disruption of the traditional movie model by a movie subscription service? Doesn't. Make. Sense."

This is some galaxy brain shit, OP.

oldergamer

It's been said so many times that gamepass will cater to the 2 billion casuals out there. That it will be the Netflix of gaming one day. But is it really though?

If even among the console and PC gamers, gamepass is a hard sell. How could one expect that it will appeal to casual gamers?
This topic is trying to hard to make it a negative? They never said gamepass is for 2 billion casuals. You are hopelessly misquoting what had been said. You can't compare gamepass to disney plus. You compare netflix to disney +.

seriously this shit drags the forum down.

Over/Under -

48 hours until the next "Well, actually, Game Pass kinda sucks and HERE'S WHY...." thread gets posted.

I will take the under. Place your bets.

I win. Pay up, motherfuckers.

Some of you seem to have Game Pass Derangement Syndrome. This service simply lives rent free in your heads. I truly, truly don't understand why you are so threatened by it.

Game Pass has been, and will continue to be, an amazing value. Pointing out that more people watch TV shows and movies than play videogames doesn't prove jack shit.

Get over it.

Well, see you in the next "ACTUALLY, GAME PASS SUCKS" thread in the next couple days.

Last edited:

cdthree

I personally would rather have the balance sheet of a gaming company rather than Netflix or Disney+. Large subscription numbers are deceptive. Customer engagement on that product and residual sales off that product is more important than 80 million vs. 18 million. There is a reason f2p is so insanely profitable. They need to ask Microsoft at their next board meeting to clarify how and when Xcloud goes fully live and what that means. Xcloud only or a mix of free Gacha style mobile games included in gamepass to reach that next 2 billion causal gamers.

Interfectum

jonah hill no GIF

MetalRain

Total addressable market is way bigger with Disney+. Any person with modern phone, PC or smart television can just order and watch.

Gamepass is great but you have to have Xbox or gaming capable PC.

But I would argue that Gamepass subscribers are less likely to stop using the service than Disney+ subscribers, there is less competition and games take longer to complete than movies/series.

Well, time will tell.

Last edited:

Sorcerer

If you have little kids Disney Plus is already gold, I would guess most households that subscribe to Disney Plus probably have one serious gamer in the family at best, maybe some teens who casually play. The value of the two cannot be compared. Passive entertainment such as movies and tv is always going to be more popular and cheaper for families.

Last edited:

TransTrender

Gold Member
I mean to me 18 million seems kinda great. I'm guessing most of those are on console since the PC store is AIDS, which makes it even more impressive because that's a pretty high attachment rate.

Full disclosure: I have no interest in GamePass or any other subscriptions like them.

Top Bottom