• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sony PS4 costs ~US$ 1850 in Brazil

So who here is going complain about the 1850.00 price tag on the PS4 and then go ahead and pay the 1000.00 price tag for the XBone?

Sounds like if you decide to import, then the PS4 is the cheaper option but if you don't decide to import you will only have the option of getting screwed over somewhat or getting screwed over majorly. Why not import? Not a criticism, would really like to know why anybody wouldn't import if interested in the systems. Is it breaking a serious law in Brazil or something.

Platy

Long live the 3DS with canadian eshop and Steam for multiplat games =P

I might loose a random Halo and Last Guardian ... but at least I have the comfort of knowing that Last Guardian will not be released =P

Nope, it's not. At least Nintendo supports the 3DS decently here on Brazil.

At least Nintendo of Canada supports the 3ds decently here in Brazil xD

A lot of people here saiyng its the tax, the tax the tax,!. The hell it was the tax.

Below are ALL the taxes videogames must pay to be sold in Brazil:

Imposto de importação 20%(Importation tax)
Pis 1,65% (Social security tax)
Cofins 7,60%(Another social security tax)
ICMS (Estado de São Paulo) 25%(State sales tax, São Paulo has the highest one)
IPI 50%(Industrialized product tax)

Doing the math we have around 164% of taxes.

399,99*2,64 = 1055 dollares with tax included!

It is a little bit more complicated (transportation and storage is ridiculously expensive here) , but those taxes are for games.

LONG STORY SHORT :

Microsoft builds the xbone here (considerably smaller tax), has Subsidio (the goverment gives less tax so that big companies can come here) AND is doing good enoght to handle the xbox one without profit margins.

Sony ships the console in the box (bigger tax), has no subsidio since there is no place to build here, and Sony Brasil is almost a zombie that can't handle to sell a console without at least a little bit of profit.

GunBR

Long live the 3DS with canadian eshop and Steam for multiplat games =P

I might loose a random Halo and Last Guardian ... but at least I have the comfort of knowing that Last Guardian will not be released =P

At least Nintendo of Canada supports the 3ds decently here in Brazil xD

It is a little bit more complicated (transportation and storage is ridiculously expensive here) , but those taxes are for games.

LONG STORY SHORT :

Microsoft builds the xbone here (considerably smaller tax), has Subsidio (the goverment gives less tax so that big companies can come here) AND is doing good enoght to handle the xbox one without profit margins.

Sony ships the console in the box (bigger tax), has no subsidio since there is no place to build here, and Sony Brasil is almost a zombie that can't handle to sell a console without at least a little bit of profit.

MS isn't building the Xbox One here (at least in the beginning)
So the taxes are the same for both.

Xena

I'm so sorry to hear that, especially for my Brazilian friends who import games over there. Ten years later and they still have abusive tax laws.

I'm so glad I had the opportunity to leave that country, thanks to having a foreigner parent.

Caderfix

Please, provide a link to back it all up.
That's all new info for me.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm going to assume the racial stereotyping was joking tongue in cheek, but it did derail the thread and wasn't relevant discussion, so I've deleted the posts. Back on track please.

jaaz

Fly to Miami and buy one. Flight + PS4 will probably still be cheaper and you get to visit Miami in Nov/Dec, when the weather is awesome...

Zeroth

LONG STORY SHORT :

Do they? Seems to be contradicting what was stated before in this thread.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
ITT: a lot of GAFers from outside Latin America who have no idea how it works post their opinions.

Also this really sucks, since Uruguay is Tier Z and both borders have the most expensive PS4 in the continent, looks like I'll have to go to all the way to Chile to get one :(

Tyrael

Microsoft is not building the Xbox One in Brazil yet, only the Xbox 360.

I'm sure this is in their's plans, but it will take some time to adapt the facilities at the Zona Franca de Manaus (Manaus Free Zone, where most of the brazilian industries build their electronics) to build the Xbox One.

When this happen the console should had a big price cut and will be even more competitive.

Burt

What's the black market like for game consoles in Brazil? I remember back when I was in China consoles were illegal, but still all over the place and not even marked up that much. Think most of them came over through Hong Kong. Or maybe it was just the Foxconn back door.

swen

Neo Member
-Sony at E3: We are gonna try to match the U$ 399 MSRP for Brazil.
-Sony tries to make an agreement with brazillian government for reduced taxes for their new console.
-Brazilian government: Fuck that! Gimmie all the tax money.
-Sony: Well, then fuck you!
-PS4 R$4000
-Every brazillian costumer imports PS4
-All that vydia money goes to outside Brazil
-Everybody Mad

mantidor

How big of a market is Brazil for this console anyway?

This is really the worst part, the whole continent is a huge market, yet none of the big three seems to step it up, you see MS doing sometimes things here and there, and that's it.
I'm sure they think piracy makes the region not viable, but is their loss, they're leaving lots of money on the table and it seems only Steam and mobile stores are picking it up, and they are also oblivious that they directly can thwart piracy with a better pricing system.

Subaru

1385644_555365024535223_1208156864_n.jpg

Marketing agencies here are going crazy with PS4 price.

allansm

LONG STORY SHORT :

It really makes me sad to see so many Brazilians believing taxes are to blame for all the abusive prices in the country... Let me tell you, they are not. The profit margins in Brazil are huge compared to other countries. Huge profit margins were a common practice to protect companies against the effects of the hyper inflation during the 80's and early 90's. However it's been 20 years since the hyper inflation is gone and the profit margins are still high...

Also, many middle class citizens here in Brazil are happy to pay expensive prices for luxury goods because many view this behavior as a sign of a successful in life, thus increasing they social status in the view of friends and the like.

So if every company sells their products with huge profit margins and people still buy the products, companies blame the taxes and the consumers believe them, what is the incentive for a company to sell their products for a affordable price?

skybaby

Sony likely realized they can't win against people buying it overseas or buying on the grey market, so they just said fuck it, let's profit off of this and sell as many games as we can to everyone else. Launching games and no console would look a bit weird.

Subaru

It really makes me sad to see so many Brazilians believing taxes are to blame for all the abusive prices in the country... Let me tell, they are not. The profit margins in Brazil are huge compared to other countries. Huge profit margins were a common practice to protect companies against the effects of the hyper inflation during the 80's and early 90's. However it's been 20 years since the hyper inflation is gone and the profit margins are mostly the same at the ones from the time...

Also, many middle class citizens here in Brazil are happy to pay expensive prices for luxury goods because many view this behavior as a sign of a successful in life, thus increasing they social status in the view of friends and the like.

So if every company sells their products with huge profit margins and people still buy the products, companies blame the taxes and the consumers believe them, what is the incentive for a company to sell their products for a affordable price?

You're absolutely right =/
It's funny, I've bought Pokemon X in Canadian eshop this week and all my friends: "Why did you bought digital when we have the game on the launch date here?".
Because it cost almost 30 USD less.

Subaru

Sony likely realized they can't win against people buying it overseas or buying on the grey market, so they just said fuck it, let's profit off of this and sell as many games as we can to everyone else. Launching games and no console would look a bit weird.

That's not the true.
If there's no competition, why release here?
Because even imported consoles are still expensive for the average brazilian, so they buy consoles paying in 12 months. Grey market doesn't offer this option.

allansm

That's not the true.
Because even imported consoles are still expensive for the average brazilian, so they buy consoles paying in 12 months. Grey market doesn't offer this option.

Also, the concept of "vote with your wallet" doesn't exist here. It doesn't matter if it is crazy expensive, people will still buy it, specially those who wants the increase in social status associated to owning expensive products.

skybaby

That's not the true.

Have you been to any electronics shop overseas? It's most likely packed with Brazilians. We break the record of money spent overseas month after month after month. People will import for friends, family and some will buy on the grey market. That market must be huge by now.

maouvin

Phades

Ive never stepped a foot on brazillian soil and this was my immediate thought. Like I said, up until a few years ago, Sony did the same thing in the UK on a smaller scale, blaming VAT. Its funny how now they are more desperate for their products to sell and not the luxury brand that people will buy regardless, that everything they put out is now so competitive in price.

That sounds more like collusion with corrupt government officials. The higher the base price, the more tax revenue drawn per sale. Government profits, company profits, the classic "win/win" situation since the consumer can't shrug off the government and the company defers the blame.

$2,000~$4,000 USD pricing (regardless of exchange rates) is freaking rediculous for a game console that is not as open of a platform as a PC.

allansm

Have you been to any electronics shop overseas? It's most likely packed with Brazilians. We break the record of money spent overseas month after month after month. People will import for friends, family and some will buy on the grey market. That market must be huge by now.

The number of people buying consoles locally is still far larger than the number of people shopping overseas.

guina

This price is a joke, not even Apple uses such high margin for their products in Brazil. Grey market will love it.

allansm

That sounds more like collusion with corrupt government officials. The higher the base price, the more tax revenue drawn per sale. Government profits, company profits, the classic "win/win" situation since the consumer can't shrug off the government and the company defers the blame.

$2,000~$4,000 USD pricing (regardless of exchange rates) is freaking rediculous for a game console that is not as open of a platform as a PC.

Consoles sales are too few to have a significant impact in the tax revenue. Besides, the government has enough money at the moment, they are not looking at increasing taxes. They are even in favour of a tax reform that will lower the taxes (the problem is reaching an agreement about a reform).

Tecl0n

Damn we were down in Argentina cause of the 1200U$S price tag (Technically 700U$S if you posses the dolars and sell them in the black market), but this is even worse how.

Subaru

Yes I've been, and I always buy my consoles importing them (from friends/boyfriend usually).

Still, Brazil is a giant country and the official market is growing up every year, because the price difference is not so big anymore (for X360/PS3).
Like I said, I saw on my facebook at least 15 brazilian copies of Pokémon X/Y, The Last of US, GTA V... never imagined that I would see this 2 years ago.
3DS games are VERY expensive here, 150 BRL, the same as most consoles launch, and still everybody woke up early on 12th October to buy the newest Pokémon game. This is new here, a new phenomenon.

I have 10 friends that already pre-ordered Xbox One, and these 10 friends imported their Xbox 360 last gen. See? The market IS changing, and Sony will lose these train here.

Of course, lots of people will buy a imported PS4 anyway - like me. But not everybody have this chance.

FuuRe

Someone should start to sell gold-coated ps4's, that way elitists will have a premium product, social status and the like, and commoners can buy an affordable plastic version.

AND THE PRICES WILL GO DOWN

SJscharr

Neo Member
-Sony at E3: We are gonna try to match the U$ 399 MSRP for Brazil.
-Sony tries to make an agreement with brazillian government for reduced taxes for their new console.
-Brazilian government: Fuck that! Gimmie all the tax money.
-Sony: Well, then fuck you!
-PS4 R$4000
-Every brazillian costumer imports PS4
-All that vydia money goes to outside Brazil
-Everybody Mad

Not everybody...shipping companies are high five ing this pissing contest!!

mavs

It really makes me sad to see so many Brazilians believing taxes are to blame for all the abusive prices in the country... Let me tell you, they are not. The profit margins in Brazil are huge compared to other countries. Huge profit margins were a common practice to protect companies against the effects of the hyper inflation during the 80's and early 90's. However it's been 20 years since the hyper inflation is gone and the profit margins are still high...

If margins are so high why don't they reallocate most of their worldwide shipments to Brazil to take advantage of those high margins? A small market size is probably what's driving margins, along with an audience they can depend on to spend.

Top Bottom