• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sony PS4 costs ~US$ 1850 in Brazil

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
UPDATE

Mesmo a R$ 3.999, Sony diz que perderá dinheiro com PS4 no Brasil

http://jogos.uol.com.br/ultimas-not...inheiro-com-ps4-no-brasil-leia-entrevista.htm

Mark Stanley detailed the reasoning behind the Brazilian price, and told us Sony "doesn't want to sell a single PS4 at this high price", but due to their strategy, they thought it was important to be here in 2013 to show Brazilians that they're "critical and important to PlayStation". They're planning on manufacturing the PS4 here ASAP.

---

http://jogos.uol.com.br/ultimas-not...er-playstation-4-custara-r-3999-no-brasil.htm

R$ 4.000

Take that, rest of the world.

For comparisons purposes, the Xbox One will arrive here for R$ 2.200, which is around US$ 1.000.

Viva a vida.

I have always wondered why are electronics so expensive in developing countries when in contrary it would make sense them to be cheaper so that more people had money to buy them.

Can Brazilians not purchase online on sites like Ebay and have it imported? Or would they somehow know and charge you the difference in customs duties or something?

Forgive me. I live in the US and AFAIK we don't really have import duties on foreign goods unless it's in quantities sufficient for resale. I could be wrong, about that but even if we do I doubt it would make anything nearly 5x as expensive.

Dr. Kaos

Banned
I assume this is because there is too much tax evasion going on and the govt needs to increase consumption tax to make up for it?

I live in florida and I see brazilians shopping here all the time.

Tiu Neo

...the fuck?

Seriously? They take all this fucking time to announce the price, and it costs almost the double of what the Xbox One costs? This isn't the government fault, or even the taxes, this is pure greed.

Fuck you, Sony.

Road

huehuehahuehue

I knew it would cost more than the Xbox one because of the change in currency, but that goes beyond my wildest guesses.

They already lost here.

For those saying taxes, nope. They double the price, yeah, but do not cause a nearly 5x hike.

Vitter.

Guys, the gov steals from us in any possible matter in Argentina. Sadface.
On the Amazon matter, i was surprised that i could even purchase it that E3 night of announcement because they usually don't ship these type of items here

Tiops

I assume this is because there is too much tax evasion going on and the govt needs to increase consumption tax to make up for it?

Nope, the government is incredibly corrupt, taxes are absurd for everything. But this is also Sony Brazil being a piece of shit, even with all the taxes it couldn't be this price.

Polari

That may seem bad, but chew on this: without Brazil's absurd tariffs, Duke Nukem 3D for Genesis/Mega Drive would have never existed.

Feichaw

This doesn't even make sense.

How does the XBox One, more expensive, become cheaper here?

This some kind of joke, right?!

Wow! I wasn't expecting that!

I can see that PC is the best option for us for next-gen...

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

You're missing one information from the OP. The Xbox One costs half of the PS4's price.

Shengar

We here in Asia didn't even have official support yet the price in local store will be about $600 or so. Gotta give loves to those sellers.

cacildo

...the fuck?

Seriously? They take all this fucking time to announce the price, and it costs almost the double of what the Xbox One costs? This isn't the government fault, or even the taxes, this is pure greed.

Fuck you, Sony.

Year after year, in brasil, people blame " goverment taxes" for game prices here. But when you ask em, they always talk about IMPORTING taxes.

Yes, importing taxes are high. What i want to know is why Sony has the nerve to charge R$ 4000 for the brasilian version of the system. I bet theres not a tax that get the price this high

Vitter.

Buy a plane ticket to the US, buy a PS4 here, and bring it home. Probably cheaper.
Believe ot or not, im going on vacation and i'll be there for launch, but amazon tells me that if i change the shipping adress i'll prolly won't get it day one, so im burning 200 dollars in taxes and getting it shipped to Argentina while im in the US or I cancel the order and pray I get it in a store on the 14th night, mmm, sounds difficult!

Polari

Difference is Microsoft manufactures Xboxes in Brazil, thus avoiding some of the tariffs/taxes. It's not Sony being greedy.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
620 USD in Sweden... 1850 is fucking crazy.

edit: How much does a game cost there?

cacildo

Nope, the government is incredibly corrupt, taxes are absurd for everything. But this is also Sony Brazil being a piece of shit, even with all the taxes it couldn't be this price.

oh yeah, but keep blaming "taxes" and "government". Its easier.

Top Bottom