• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sony PS4 costs ~US$ 1850 in Brazil

Marvel

could never
6xk.gif

Damn...

It's highly likely the PS4 will be at some point too, but it's probably not feasible for around launch. I'm guessing the price will drop then. Foxconn are currently building a plant in Brazil to sidestep tariffs.

That`s good, but it doesn`t explain the price gap between Xbone and PS4 in Brazil.

Polari

That`s good, but it doesn`t explain the price gap between Xbone and PS4 in Brazil.

I guess Microsoft have decided it's worth diverting resources in order to manufacture Xbox One in Brazil. Maybe they have more control over production there than Sony do, could be a million reasons.

Acording to Playstation Brazil Blog, using today's conversion rate, it would cost US$82.

That's really weird because Steam introduced Brazilian regional pricing a year ago and they're much cheaper than US prices - sometimes I have a Brazilian gift me games from his cheap region.

n64coder

A rough estimation for the majority of electronics that I buy here in Brazil (like consoles, PC parts, etc ) would be: price in USD x monetary conversion x 2 (for absurd taxes and stuff) = aproximate final price in R$ for us.

For example the XONE: U$499 x 2,20 x 2 = R$ 2.195, which is roughly the price of the pre-order here. But R$3.999??? Jeez..

So are these prices really high for the average Brazilian? How much is the average income in Brazil?

Do most people pay these prices or do they try importing themselves to see if they can get away with not paying taxes?

There's no explanation for this. Absolutelly none.

We gonna have BGS next week and I'm looking foward to the Playstation Panel and how they are going to spin/justify this.

Guess I'll have to go to the States for this. I just hope to have one by the time Infamous SS is out.

Lehow

A lot of people here saiyng its the tax, the tax the tax,!. The hell it was the tax.

Below are ALL the taxes videogames must pay to be sold in Brazil:

Imposto de importação 20%(Importation tax)
Pis 1,65% (Social security tax)
Cofins 7,60%(Another social security tax)
ICMS (Estado de São Paulo) 25%(State sales tax, São Paulo has the highest one)
IPI 50%(Industrialized product tax)

Doing the math we have around 164% of taxes.

399,99*2,64 = 1055 dollares with tax included!

C.T.

I have always wondered why are electronics so expensive in developing countries when in contrary it would make sense them to be cheaper so that more people had money to buy them.

Brazil is is part of the BRIC countries, countries identified as emerging powers. I don't think economy is the reason why, but a multitude of reasons, including corruption, weak infrastructure and currency. It even has it own wiki entry:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazil_cost

M3d10n

What the fuck? Not even Apple's price gouged products are this overpriced:

mba_usduasch.png

mba_brlqus25.png

Sony knows that even a "fair" priced PS4 would be too expensive for most and prefer to get 200%+ profit over smaller sales during the first 6 months. Everyone else will buy from smugglers anyway.

Mercado Livre here I come.

Already did that. Unsucessfull search. =(

I guess Microsoft have decided it's worth diverting resources in order to manufacture Xbox One in Brazil. Maybe they have more control over production there than Sony do, could be a million reasons.

We are going in circles.
There's nothing confirmin that the Xbone is goig to be manufactored in Brazil.

As far as we know it's beeing imported too.

KidBeta

A lot of people here saiyng its the tax, the tax the tax,!. The hell it was the tax.

Are video games taxed the same as the actual consoles.

Frodo

Thanks for the break down.

It might simply be supply and demand as Xbone isn't releasing in Brazil right now and PS4 is struggling to meet production if preorder rumors are anything to go by.

So high price means less buyers and less demand, lessing the pressure on Sony to produce PS4s at a fair price in the Brazilian market while they focus on US and EU with Japan following.

Tiops

Yup, there's no way this price can be justified. I always thought that Sony Brazil was a piece of garbage, but they really surprised me.

In 2010, they officially launched the PS3 in Brazil, for R$1999 when the dollar was like US$ 1 = R$ 1,70.

Sony is greedy when it comes to Brazil.

M3d10n

Thanks, based Sony BR!

Amazon, my credit card is ready. 800 USD with shipping and all taxes included, sail ho.
Such a bargain.

It's announced on the BR PSBlog too, btw.

When buying directly from Amazon (where you always pay the ridiculous 60% import tax plus 15% courier fees on price+shipping) is less than half the price it sells by in Brazil you know something is wrong.

Zurres

Ufff, at least in Chile it's only 640 usd XD.

It's common to find here computer / electronic stores with many Brazilian tourist.

KaidoRacer7

Importing is cheaper. If you're taxed, you'll pay about 2x price + shipping, which is gonna be around $1000 at worst. And there's always the chance of not being taxed.

The downside is costumer support.

You can get cheap roundtrip air tickets for as low as $700, so travelling to buy one is also cheaper.

Plus, you're gonna be robbed by brazilian customs or post office

Peterthumpa

It might simply be supply and demand as Xbone isn't releasing in Brazil right now and PS4 is struggling to meet production if preorder rumors are anything to go by.

So high price means less buyers and less demand, lessing the pressure on Sony to produce PS4s at a fair price in the Brazilian market while they focus on US and EU with Japan following.
Brazil is a Tier 1 country. Xbone comes out here in November too.

Freeman

Banned
This makes no sense, you can import from amazon, paying all taxes and it costs about $800.

For the announced price you can almost fly to the US and buy it there.

I'm ashamed to live in this country, such a disgusting place full of ignorant people that willingly pay the price.

Great news to wake up to.

Caderfix

Already did that. Unsucessfull search. =(

I believe Massa will sell PS4s on Mercado Livre for HUGE profits.

I intend to do something similar. I'll get some PS4s from the US for U$399 each and then resell it here for ~R$1,500.

The buyer will be happy, and I'll be even happier.

p3tran

Banned

so, if your calculations are correct, where does the extra almost 50% of total cost (1055$ to 1850$) comes from?

M3d10n

I would like to know the prices for PC hardware in Brazil, that's just insane.

For that price I can build one hell of a PC, I assure you.

so, if your calculations are correct, where does the extra almost 50% of total cost (1055$ to 1850$) comes from?

There's shipping, local marketing costs and retailer margins. The rest is extra profit to make up for the expected low sales during the system's early life.

Top Bottom