• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sony PS4 costs ~US$ 1850 in Brazil

johnny956

I guess you speak for us just because your username is the name of our country?
This isn't completely Sony's fault. The only reason they can use high taxation as an excuse is because...well, taxation is very high. If that weren't the case, I'm sure we'd have a reasonable price tag.
Look at that list and show me a country with low import duty rates that's being ripped off as well.

People wouldn't be complaining at Sony if they priced it below or close to the same level as the Xbox One there. When the Xbox One is half the price in Brazil and pretty much more expensive in every other country then Sony should explain itself. That's the uproar. Instead Sony Brazil PR goes silent? I love the PS4 and it's my only planned next gen console but Sony is being greedy there plain and simple

Tunin

Why doesn't someone take to twitter and get a response on the pricing matter than ?

I'm pretty sure it was done already. They won't reply, not until BGS next week or they're going to simply blame the taxes and try do get away with it.

I said before and I'll say it again: People are going to be maaad at BGS, this might be the backfire Sony wasn't expecting (or was, who knows).

Ogimachi

Look, no one here is denying the taxes are pretty bad or that they are helping the price. However, even when you add the taxes (like some gaffers did in this thread), or even compare to the Xbox One (which is not produced in Brazil either), you realize there is a pretty big gap that can't be explained.
You're absolutely right, but the only reason this is happening is because taxes are very high. Do you think Sony would give us the middle finger if the tariff was low?
Sony is probably sending very few units to Brazil for launch, so they're charging R$4000 because: a) high taxation and b) very low supply. They wouldn't price it this way if they didn't think they could sell most of them.
There's no mystery here, it's clear that Sony didn't consider Brazil an important market, and that's not Sony Brazil's fault either.

ZodR_ARG

Neo Member
ok, now this is ridiculous, this isn't "thanks" to any government, like some idiots say, the one to blame is clearly Sony Latin America...
first Argentina, now Brazil... and look at the xbone price...

Caderfix

Look, no one here is denying the taxes are pretty bad or that they are helping the price. However, even when you add the taxes (like some gaffers did in this thread), or even compare to the Xbox One (which is not produced in Brazil either), you realize there is a pretty big gap that can't be explained.

No, there's no logic in anything you said. It's ALL the government's fault.
/s

FuuRe

And before you ask, Brazil is a gaming journalist in Brazil.

That's OK, it gives him a lot of credibility, but does he have factual proof of the greediness? or simpler, has he done an analysis of the price, in order to get to the inicial price of the cosole (before taxes) to counter the "high taxes poor govt." claims of the other GAF members?

Those are actual questions, i'm not trying to imply anything.

Ogimachi

That's OK, it gives him a lot of credibility, but does he have factual proof of the greediness? or simpler, has he done an analysis of the price, in order to get to the inicial price of the cosole (before taxes) to counter the "high taxes poor govt." claims of the other GAF members?

It's not greed, it's supply and demand. Sony gave us the middle finger only because they can. Supply is low enough that they're probably going to sell most units anyway, even with this backlash. Maybe they'll cut R$500 if people riot in BGS or something, but that's it.

Atomski

This don't even make sense.

How does the XBox One, more expensive, become cheaper here?

This some kind of joke, right?!

Wow! I wasn't expecting that!

I can see that PC is the best option for us for next-gen...

PC has been the best option for south america for a while hasn't it?

Zeroth

You're absolutely right, but the only reason this is happening is because taxes are very high. Do you think Sony would give us the middle finger if the tariff was low?
Sony is probably sending very few units to Brazil for launch, so they're charging R$4000 because: a) high taxation and b) very low supply. They wouldn't price it this way if they didn't think they could sell most of them.
There's no mystery here, it's clear that Sony didn't consider Brazil an important market, and that's not Sony Brazil's fault either.

Jack Tretton himself said he considered Brazil a crucial market and mentioned wanting a sub $1000 PS4 in Brazil back in June. I don't think he suddenly changed his mind about the importance of the PS4. And regarding your supply argument, please elaborate how the biggest gaming market in Latin America will receive the lowest supply of consoles, or how it will be the only country in the launch ones to have a priced based on supply.

A few gaffers already applied the taxes to the PS4 in this thread (importation taxes, since the PS4 is not produced here). The price gap is still too big.

Freeman

Banned
Like I posted earlier, Steam introduced Brazilian regional pricing a year ago and they are a bit below US prices.
Hardware is way more expensive tho. As long as we can use US PSN we are fine in the software front for Sony platforms.

Consoles, PC Hardware, are ridiculously expensive as a rule. PS$ at 3999, 2,509, 7999, it just doesn't matter, whomever is paying those prices deserves to be ripped off.

Frodo

The taxes are a problem, but NOT explains the fact that PS4 costs US$ 1845 and the X1 costs US$ 1015 here

Stop this lie!

NO! IT IS THE GOVERNMENT FAULT! STOP BLAMING POOR SONY! Microsoft is also using slaves in sweetshops built in the middle of the jungle to mass produce Xbone for cheap!

Also, Sony VAIO laptops are in no way over expensive in Brazil as well. They are very competitive priced. I know. GAF told me. There is no such a thing as a Sony tax.

I've also heard that your capital Buenos Aires is very pretty. Peace.

Some people, geez

Kssio_Aug

I really believe that PS4 is the best option over the world.
But this way, im going with Xbox One probably. May do my pre-order tonight.

Its a shame. But I can't let myself pay over 1800 USD on a console that costs 400 USD. Also, the grey maket will suffer its influence, and they will charge at about 1100 USD for the console after that, and I will not pay that much with no safe guarantee.

Im still thinking about importing it. But still the guarantee counts, and I may have to pay the taxes when it arrives (what will become something like 800 USD when it comes here).

I dont know yet... but I think Ill go with Xbox One this time.

Unai

Hardware is way more expensive tho. As long as we can use US PSN we are fine in the software front for Sony platforms.

Consoles, PC Hardware, are ridiculously expensive as a rule. PS$ at 3999, 2,509, 7999, it just doesn't matter, whomever is paying those prices deserves to be ripped off.

Well, Nvidia Titan is $1000.00 in the US, and R$ 3300.00 here. If we use Sony convertion rates, the Titan would be R$ 10000.00.

Subaru

Ok, we know that our government is screwing us, but that's not the whole story.

Cars are expensive here because people will buy it! Brazilians loooves to pay for expensive stuff, I don't know why... I usually import everything, but I must admit that recently I was buying some games in good promotions here (i've bought The Last of Us at launch for 117 Reais, 55 USD).

That said, Sony is a very respected brand here, everybody thinks that Sony = quality. (Sony TVs are also very expensive comparing with others). People can say what they want, but Microsoft isn't the leader around here.

Ok, we got a bunch of Xbox 360 who only plays pirate games and better X360 retail sales because Sony BR always sell their stuff very expensive. But most people still import, and this doesn't "count" for those researches.

Honestly, when Microsoft told us the price of Xbox One in Brazil, I was already expecting that PS4 would cost a little bit more (because of Sony BR), even knowing that PS4 is cheaper than XBONE in US. But this is an INSULT.

So yes, it's Dilma's fault that Xbox One costs that much, but it's not the government faults that PS4 costs twice than a Xbox One.

This is Sony BR being greedy as always, this is brazilian stupid people buying expensive things without thinking... c'mon, Sony's rate is bigger than Apple's!

The funny part is that I'm gonna travel to Europe in May, and I was thinking: "oh things are SO EXPENSIVE there, I wish that I could buy in US". Suddenly, 399 EUR seems SO CHEAP.

So, a question: should I buy my ps4 in London, Paris, Amsterdan or Berlin?

swen

Neo Member
I would like to know the prices for PC hardware in Brazil, that's just insane.

I've bought a brand new PC here in Brazil (Rio de Janeiro) two months ago and spent around R$ 3600,00
Specs:
CPU - intel i7 3770K
Mobo - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H
GPU - Sapphire HD 7970 3gb
PSU - Seasonic X760W 80+ gold
mem - 2x Corsair Vengeance 8gb
Case: Corsair 600T
HDD: Seagate barracuda 1Tb and an 120gb Samsung 840 SSD
Blu-Ray drive

Freeman

Banned
Stop this lie!

NO! IT IS THE GOVERNMENT FAULT! STOP BLAMING POOR SONY! Microsoft is also using slaves in sweetshops built in the middle of the jungle to mass produce Xbone for cheap!

Also, Sony VAIO laptops are in no way over expensive in Brazil as well. They are very competitive priced. I know. GAF told me. There is no such a thing as a Sony tax.

I've also heard that your capital Buenos Aires is very pretty. Peace.

Some people, geez
Go sell your house\car for the "fair" price instead of the price set by the market.

Lets just see how the market will react, don't buy and the price will drop.

Frodo

So, a question: should I buy my ps4 in London, Paris, Amsterdan or Berlin?

Anywhere but London, I guess. Today's conversion rate: PS4 would cost 412 EURO.

Go sell your house\car for the "fair" price instead of the price set by the market.

Lets just see how the market will react, don't buy and the price will drop.

It is not about being fair. No one is asking for Sony to become a non-profitable organization. But US$1800 is a little tiny bit too much.

There are three major components of high prices in Brazil:
1. Tariffs and taxes - often adding more than 50% to the price
2. Shitty infrastructure - it costs more to get goods to their destination
3. High margins - unlike in the U.S., consoles are not a mass market good, and they are marked up like luxury goods, as that is what results in the biggest profits for retailers. In order to get their product stocked, at a unified price, manufacturers often have to offer these high margins to retailers.

Road

Microsoft is offering the Xbox One for a lower price than the PS4, which is the opposite of the situation in all other countries in the world. There is no other explanation than Sony being greedy, because Microsoft gets hit by the same taxes as Sony does and the Xbox One does indeed cost more in Brazil than in the US.

You don't even need to go to Microsoft.

Sony's own MRSP for the Vita for R$ 1399, which is about US $650. That is 3.25 times the US price of $200.

The PS4 MRSP of $1850 is 4.625 times the American one.

Textbook price gouging.

I mean, nope, Sony-sama is doing a favor to all the stupid Brazilians who only know how to type "huaheuheuhe" on online games. We should feel blessed.

Amen. *jumps in bathtub*

Welcome to Brazil.

Sony is doing what car companies have always done here. Charge a ridiculous high price and blame taxes (which are high, but they don't tell the whole story).

People will eat it up (because they think owning an expensive item will give them a high "status"), the government will do nothing (mainly because the car companies finance political campaigns) and we will be locked into a cartel, with shitty products at absurd high prices.

Zok310

Banned
Just import. Also with the insane amount of piracy that takes place in Brazil, I can't really say I hate Sony for doing this.
Still a dumb move, and hopefully they reduce the price quickly after launch.

Freeman

Banned
It is not about being fair. No one is asking for Sony to become a non-profitable organization. But US$1800 is a little tiny bit too much.

No one will chose to sell a product for less than what people value it for. If we don't buy then the price will be corrected accordingly. My guess is that it will sell regardless ,at least initially.

Caderfix

I mean, nope, Sony-sama is doing a favor to all the stupid Brazilians who only know how to type "huaheuheuhe" on online games. We should feel blessed.

Amen. *jumps in bathtub*

Don't forget that they are also giving us a console that is not, I repeat, is NOT the master system nor the mega drive(Genesis). Bless 'em.

Metra

Brazil is pretty trustworthy and well known as a source, and his assumption is valid considering what he (and other forum members) brought up.

I don't know him and I think that the fact he's a game journalist working for UOL jogos doesn't make him - necessarily - trustworthy, or an insider. Besides, his claim that PS4's absurd price tag is justified by sony's greed does not make sense. Trying to sell something with an absurd price, while having competition (X1 will be sold for half the price) is not "greed", it's "stupidity" from Sony. You don't have to be a genius to figure out that you'll be selling much, much less consoles than you could with a lower price tag. That's why this "greed" argument doesn't make any sense.

But I digress. I'll take your word, since you have been here longer than me and you probably know what you're talking about (regarding Brazil's credibility as a source).

qko

Gotta Subsidize the $399 price somehow. Europe is doing their part by paying 399 Euros for it. Chin Up Brazil. And thank you for taking the blow for 'Murica.

Sincerely,
American gamers

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Don't feel like it..

Too bad.

With all due respect, I don't. I think that you're angry (like most of us) and you're assuming that "Sony being greedy and wanting to screw Brazil over" is the only possible explanation since, even with all the absurd tax that we have over here, PS4's price tag is way too high. And I admit it, it's a possibility, but nothing more (at least, for now).

I can respect that, if this is your opinion. But if you're claiming to be an insider (because you work for UOL jogos) - with access to concrete proof to back your claim - then, please, post and prove it. If you can't prove it, because you have a secret source or something like that, I think that you should be checked by a mod. Forgive me if you have already been checked.

Don't take it the wrong way though. I just get suspicious when people claim that what they say is the "truth", without offering any arguments to sustain it.

Fair enough. I could post proof - like the names of the Sony PR representatives I know and have had their Facebook and Twitter profiles blocked since this morning - but I won't for obvious reasons.

If any mod has a problem with that and wants to check my sources, they are obviously free to PM me.

Yeah, as a non US/UK person, watching people freak out over $599 PS3 was fun.

When someone was selling a used PS3 for about that much, I immediately jumped on the amazing opportunity. It was half off!

Zeroth

I don't know him and I think that the fact he's a game journalist working for UOL jogos doesn't make him - necessarily - trustworthy, or an insider. Besides, his claim that PS4's absurd price tag is justified by sony's greed does not make sense. Trying to sell something with an absurd price, while having competition (X1 is will be sold for half the price) is not "greed", but "stupidity" from Sony. You don't have to be a genius to figure out that you'll be selling much, much less consoles than you could with a lower price tag. That's why this "greed" argument doens't make any sense.

But I digress. I'll take your word, since you have been here longer than me and you probably know what you're talking about (regarding Brazil's credibility as a source).

Don't get me wrong, I certainly understand your concern. The reason this whole situation doesn't impress me is because this wouldn't be a first time for Sony Brasil (who are already well-known for overpricing). It's worth noting there's also a cultural aspect behind overpriced stuff.

Freeman

Banned
Welcome to Brazil.

Sony is doing what car companies have always done here. Charge a ridiculous high price and blame taxes (which are high, but they don't tell the whole story).

People will eat it up (because they think owning an expensive item will give them a high "status"), the government will do nothing (mainly because the car companies finance political campaigns) and we will be locked into a cartel, with shitty products at absurd high prices.

People should vote with their wallet but they don't, so they get what they deserve. They will finance overpriced cheap car in a 10 years payment plan and they will love it. Good luck for them, they are not blameless victims, ignorance can't be an excuse for everything.

ledman

Can't believe I can travel to Miami and bring a PS4 for a lower cost than buying it here.
Fuck you Dilma, the rest of the government and Sony.

DeviantBoi

I know!

Why don't all Brazilians spam message boards and the comments section of unrelated articles hoping that Sony changes the price?!

Oh, wait... some of you are already doing this.

Maybe it'll work out for you guys... or maybe you'll just get a lot of people annoyed.

Top Bottom