• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sony PS4 costs ~US$ 1850 in Brazil

mjswooosh

Banned
This issue is explained in that video. Taxes are applied over previous taxes. I don't know if it's the same thing, but it's like the "simple interest and compound interest" reasoning. PS4 has a higher base value/price than the 3DS and, when you apply the taxes, that difference upscales greatly. Besides, Nintendo could be subsidizing the 3DS, like MS is doing with the X1 in Brazil and (probably) other territories.

In the end, PS4 has an absurd price in Brazil mainly because of high tax, and because Sony is not subsidizing it (unlike MS with the X1). In my opinion, that's the most reasonable explanation so far.

The reason MS is partially able to subsidize exports to compensate for import taxes/tariffs is because they utilize massive subsidies here in the US courtesy of the US tax-payer via bought-and-paid-for US Congress. The US tax-payer is essentially getting shafted because MS pays little or no taxes here...instead the US middle class has to pony up more so that MS can then justify subsidizing in other countries. Japan based Sony has no such system in place in which they basically own the government and shaft the Japanese citizens in order to compensate for idiotic Brazilian import policies.

mantidor

This issue is explained in that video. Taxes are applied over previous taxes. I don't know if it's the same thing, but it's like the "simple interest and compound interest" reasoning. PS4 has a higher base value/price than the 3DS and, when you apply the taxes, that difference upscales greatly. Besides, Nintendo could be subsidizing the 3DS, like MS is doing with the X1 in Brazil and (probably) other territories.

In the end, PS4 has an absurd price in Brazil mainly because of high tax, and because Sony is not subsidizing it (unlike MS with the X1).

MS is not subsidizing around $R 2000 per unit, not even they are that crazy, that's close to four times the original cost!

BDGAME

This is a old image (the woman is ours president):

DilmaPS4.png

I don`t know who did it, but sony likes this image.

mjswooosh

Banned
MS is not subsidizing around $R 2000 per unit, not even they are that crazy, that's close to four times the original cost!

You misunderstand the point we both made. It doesn't matter if the entire import cost is subsidized, only that SOME of it is. Like many US corporations MS doesn't pay any taxes here due to subsidies and tax breaks that they get implemented by purchasing the Congress. Like many of the US based companies in the Fortune 500, they spend a few 10s of millions buying off Congressmen and implementing tons of tax-break policies and save literally BILLIONS in taxes. This is a massive revenue short-fall for the US, which is mostly put on the backs of the US middle class tax-payer. Microsoft can then justify subsidizing some of the import cost to other countries, whereas a Japanese based company like Sony cannot do this simply because they have a more balanced corporate/government system in which the government actually does its job and is not owned by multinational corporations.

Road

The others are not videogame related.

3DS has a MUCH smaller size and weight compared to the PS4.

But more importantly, Sony Brasil is going REALY bad .... I heard some stuffs about Sony Pictures Brasil starting to print games =P

Also
Vita WiFi edition at FNAC
10RngPa.png

Same vita at amazon
auO19ks.png

Not THAT diferent from the ps4

VERY different.

Now this thread is a mess of Sony fanboys + people who have little knowledge of basic Math. =P

The delusion is strong in this one.

Metra

Now this thread is a mess of Sony fanboys + people who have little knowledge of basic Math. =P

I like NeoGAF and I think that it's the best forum to discuss videogames. But even here, we're not safe from this kind of posts. You come here - without any tangible argument to refute what has been presented as an explanation to PS4's abusive price in Brazil - just to insult people and call them fanboys? That's pure biased ad hominem.

I never reply to posts like this, because I think it's unproductive. But I'm tired of this. Really tired. I should just stop posting on the game side of this forum, and stick to the off-topic.

Platy

VERY different.

I am probably in the math people xD
Almost half of the price vita = almost the price of ps4 looks the same both in the usa and here.

But then again the basic idea of this article in portuguese is that NOBODY understand brazilian taxes =P

Also, there are people saying that the Xbox One prices will rise since they were announced when the Dollar price was smaller than now

Frodo

I wouldn't be surprised if MS somehow played a more direct role in this. As part of the agreement to manufacture the X1 in Brazil, Sony got hit with every tax that it was legally possible to apply to their product.

There's no way that Sony is doing this out of "greed" because it's only going to tank the product there. Literally no chance in hell. Something else is afoot.

That tinfoil hat.

People, there are loads of posts in this thread comparing the prices of different electronics and even a comparison with the price of the Vita, that would be taxed exactly the same way the PS4 is, and in all comparisons the PS4 is way over the curve.

I guess many people posting have absolutely no idea how things work in Brazil or other South American countries and the easiest route is to put the blame on the taxes and convoluted taxing system.

Sony think that there is demand and think people will buy it at that price anyway. Stop the conspiracy theories of MS being evil and bribing politics so they add extra tax on Sony's toys. Of Sony being a special company that doesn't know how to take advantage of the loopholes in the taxing laws as evil MS surely knows and does.

The PS Vita is not being taxed as much as the PS4 is. Why is that??

Road

Almost half of the price vita = almost the price of ps4 looks the same both in the usa and here.

But then again the basic idea of this article in portuguese is that NOBODY understand brazilian taxes =P

Also, there are people saying that the Xbox One prices will rise since they were announced when the Dollar price was smaller than now

In the US, the PS4 ($400) is double the price of the Vita ($200), yes.

But here, the Vita is R$ 1400. If you double that you reach R$ 2800. That's R$ 1200 away from the PS4, R$ 4000.

If you think R$ 1200 is not a big difference, then, all I can say is not everyone is that rich. =P

Tunin

HAHAHA, even banks are mocking it!
Translation:

With 4.000 reais you can:
- Buy a 3D LED TV.
- Do the trip you always wanted to.
- Reform your house.

Or buy a videogame...

(HAHAHAHA)

allansm

Sony think that there is demand and think people will buy it at that price anyway. Stop the conspiracy theories of MS being evil and bribing politics so they add extra tax on Sony's toys. Of Sony being a special company that doesn't know how to take advantage of the loopholes in the taxing laws as evil MS surely knows and does.

Exactly. The ones who will buy the console at launch have enough money to pay for it anyway, I good reason for the crazy price. Taxes are part of the problem, but in no way they can explain this price. I can't understand why people keep on blaming taxes.

Also, it is a fact that many products are sold in Brazil with a larger profit margin than in other countries, automobiles are an example. It's not like Sony intends to sell the PS4 to the lower middle classes, they want to sell it to the high middle class and the rich and those have money to buy it anyway, the high middle class is specially known for buying overpriced stuff just to increase their social status.

Sblargh

Banned
Here's my reading:

In Brazil, the Playstation brand is considered a luxury item, so Sony applies their Bravia strategy (that, yeah, I know, works wonders, but maybe works in Brazil) of overpricing something to pretend it is a premium piece of tech.

Ok, whatever, but what pisses me off is this thing of blaming it on taxes. Really you multinational corporatio known to lobby for evil things like SOPA? You really want to stick your finger in our politics?
Go fuck yourself. We may have a tax problem, but then again, we're a country who are just now eradicating hunger. Whatever our tax problems are, I hope that when we do get to make an exception, it is not for Sony and its toy.

allansm

Did you noticed that the article you linked mention that the profit margin is 30% for console games? That's higher than the usual in the US and Europe, even more so if you take into account that price drops and sales are uncommon in Brazil. I really doubt the profit margin on a console is smaller than that.

Mentok

Banned

HAHAHA, even banks are mocking it!
Translation:

With 4.000 reais you can:
- Buy a 3D LED TV.
- Do the trip you always wanted to.
- Reform your house.

Or buy a videogame...

(HAHAHAHA)

Thank you for sharing this, it made my day!

Just out of curiosity, would legal importing even after taxes be significantly cheaper?

Tunin

Thank you for sharing this, it made my day!

Just out of curiosity, would legal importing even after taxes be significantly cheaper?

Yep. You can read along the thread, the subject was covered before.

For example, you can legally import thru' Amazon, with 100% taxes we'll pay about R$2000, half of what is being proposed by Sony Brazil.

That's why it's so ridiculous.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
My Brazillian friend texted me the news this morning so I could laugh at his misfortune.

I laughed so hard when I heard this. I mean how can they think that is ok?

I just ordered a PS4 on Amazon UK.

Im not going to get on launch day but they say they will get it till Christmas.

I paid with shipping 300.14 pounds. That is roughly 1050 reais.

Even if I pay the huge 60% tax in Brazil, thats another 630 reais, totaling 1680 reais for the console.

Less than half what they are charging here.

I have a couple of questions though:

1) Isnt the PS4 349.99 pounds? Why did they charge me just 300?

2) What is Amazon EU S.a.r.L.? Is that the real name of Amazon? That is the name on the "Sold by" line.

I cant believe Im getting the PS4 this cheap. Im so used to a lifetime of being ripped off here in Brazil lol

Even if I pay the huge 60% tax in Brazil, thats another 630 reais, totaling 1680 reais for the console.

2) What is Amazon EU S.a.r.L.? Is that the real name of Amazon? That is the name on the "Sold by" line.

I cant believe Im getting the PS4 this cheap. Im so used to a lifetime of being ripped off here in Brazil lol

Sorry for the double post. GAF moves too fast and I would like to know the answer. :p

Skyzard

Banned
It should be about £350 yeah, weird :S -- sounds like you didn't get charged tax? not sure...

EU S.A.R.L is amazon, see it all the time, no clue exactly though.

It should be about £350 yeah, weird :S -- sounds like you didn't get charged tax? not sure...

EU S.A.R.L is amazon, see it all the time, no clue exactly though.

Actually they charged me 291.24 for the PS4. The rest is shipping,

Im just anxious to receive an date on the delivery. The email I received said they will contact me once they can give me an estimate.

Its probably going to be a month or so waiting. I hope everything is fine.

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry for the double post. GAF moves too fast and I would like to know the answer. :p

I went shopping with my brazillian friend once in london. Half our time was spent him asking in every shop "whats the catch?" He couldnt believe everything was so cheap.

I personally didnt know what the fuck he was on about until afterwards.

t0rment

I think it's because of the VAT tax, foreigners are not charged for that, i believe.

I went shopping with my brazillian friend once in london. Half our time was spent him asking in every shop "whats the catch?" He couldnt believe everything was so cheap.

I personally didnt know what the fuck he was on about until afterwards.

Yes, third world country living does that to you. :p

PS - Apparently unlike Amazon US, Amazon UK doesnt automatically charge you for customs in your country.

So I guess that could make things take longer to get the PS4 in my hands.

TTOOLL

Thinking about doing this next year, but from Amazon US. Dollar is cheaper than pounds I think.

maouvin

So I guess that could make things take longer to get the PS4 in my hands.

It depends. If it gets sent to you via courier (a la Fedex/UPS), you will receive the PS4 with an import fee invoice (um boleto), which you must pay or - I suppose - bad things can happen. All that without the usual delay on our custom offices. Happened with me once when I imported my Rock Band drum's cymbals from Barnes & Noble.

But if it gets sent by normal Royal Mail then yes, it will be treated like a normal package, transit thru Correios and Receita Federal and possibly take a month more to reach you.

Thinking about doing this next year, but from Amazon US. Dollar is cheaper than pounds I think.

Yes, but its all out on US at the moment.

PS - Bom ver outro brazileiro fugindo da roubalheira que é o preço do PS4 aqui.

"nice to see another brasilian escaping the criminal price of the PS4 here."

It depends. If it gets sent to you via courier (a la Fedex/UPS), you will receive the PS4 with an import fee invoice (um boleto), which you must pay or - I suppose - bad things can happen. All that without the usual delay on our custom offices. Happened with me once when I imported my Rock Band drum's cymbals from Barnes & Noble.

But if it gets sent by normal Royal Mail then yes, it will be treated like a normal package, transit thru Correios and Receita Federal and possibly take a month more to reach you.

I choose the Standard Shipping. That means the bad one right? :(

TTOOLL

Yes, but its all out on US at the moment.

PS - Bom ver outro brazileiro fugindo da roubalheira que é o preço do PS4 aqui.

"nice to see another brasilian escaping the criminal price of the PS4 here."

Oh yeah, I will never buy for this price. Pau no cu da Sony.
It is sold out on Amazon, but I would wait for next year anyway.

For me is not the matter of the price, is the attitude, even travelling I will not buy ps4, and look Almost everything I have is from sony, TV, HEADPHONE, Cellphone, every ps...

maouvin

I choose the Standard Shipping. That means the bad one right? :(

I suppose. The site says only the AmazonGlobal options charge the import fees together with the order - and that's how courier services work.

Since buying with Standard Shipping doesn't charge you the Import Fees Deposit, it seems that it's the bad one.

I made a simulation (brazil here too): by the cheaper AmazonGlobal shipping rate, the order total goes to GBP 615 (300 pounds of import fees), but with no surprises - you pay it, it gets to your door, screw correios and receita. Maybe you can make some math and see if it's worth it.

I suppose. The site says only the AmazonGlobal options charge the import fees together with the order - and that's how courier services work.

Since buying with Standard Shipping doesn't charge you the Import Fees Deposit, it seems that it's the bad one.

I made a simulation (brazil here too): by the cheaper AmazonGlobal shipping rate, the order total goes to GBP 615 (300 pounds of import fees), but with no surprises - you pay it, it gets to your door, screw correios and receita. Maybe you can make some math and see if it's worth it.

Yeah, I wanted to avoid paying too much in one go. This way at leat my bill gets divided.

I just hope it doesnt get stuck on customs never to be heard from again. :(

chepu

Welcome to Latin America

a New PS3 costs around 2.000$ here in Venezuela ( 15.000Bs, 1$= 6.3Bs[official rate])

Top Bottom