• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The most popular game console on Black Friday 2021 isn't the PlayStation 5 — it's the $300 Xbox Series S (due to availability)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingfey

Banned
They would know the development roadmap when they purchased the studios, no point in rushing the games when this Xmas you have millions of people playing your first party releases in Forza Horizon 5 and Halo Infinite, easily the best first party line up this Xmas. There is no comparison with the X1 release schedule as we know for a fact with just what's announced the line up is stacked, there will be more we don't know about.

In 12 months we've had Gears Tactics, Flight Simulator, Psychonauts 2, Forza Horizon 5 and Halo Infinite. Looking at the Metacritic score for the released games, that's a pretty solid line up.

Starfield is less than twelve months away and I suspect the next gen Forza game may be next year too, also Microsoft seemed to be the first to leave next gen behind so we will see the first games leveraging the full RDNA2 feature set.

They are in a good spot.

Look at this launch up first. Compare the 2nd year launch with current 2nd year launch. Its day and night. Even when xbox one had limited 1st party support, it had more launch games than xseries console.

General people don't really care about metacritic score. I didn't even bother with them, when I was buying games.

Even if they are ok, with road map of those purchased studios, they didn't bother with 3rd party games. They only had medium as timed exclusive.

If it weren't for that gamepass, this launch window you are talking would have been a disaster. You dont wait millions in hope of dropping your big games late. That is just bad business management.

kingfey

Banned
Not really. Just look at the situation in Europe xss sitting on shelves whilst xsx sells out within minutes, the demand from casuals is more towards xsx than xss.

One of the biggest European markets for xbox is the uk and you can easily buy xss right now and some retailers have offered discounts in the past to get rid of them. Just go check stock alert accounts for xbox the majority of people are asking for xsx, hell I've seen people come on ps5 stock alert account and ask for xsx and these are casuals trying to find a console for their kids for christmas.
You understand low stock sells fast right? You are kinda proving the point in your 2nd paragraph.

The fact that there is alot xss, attributes to higher stock. You dont struggle selling 10 consoles. You will sell them fast.

Parent won't spend 500$, when there is 300$ console for their kids. They won't do it. They are casuals for a reason.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT

Look at this launch up first. Compare the 2nd year launch with current 2nd year launch. Its day and night. Even when xbox one had limited 1st party support, it had more launch games than xseries console.

General people don't really care about metacritic score. I didn't even bother with them, when I was buying games.

Even if they are ok, with road map of those purchased studios, they didn't bother with 3rd party games. They only had medium as timed exclusive.

If it weren't for that gamepass, this launch window you are talking would have been a disaster. You dont wait millions in hope of dropping your big games late. That is just bad business management.

They delivered higher scoring games during a global pandemic.

MaulerX

So why can’t it run games in native 4K like the Xbox one X that was released in 2017?

I am sure Phil has some of you on pay roll in this thread … 😆

It's a tad surprising that on a tech based gaming forum there's comments like these that prove that people don't know anything about tech.

1- The Xbox One X was designed to run base Xbox One games at a higher resolution.

2- The Xbox Series S was designed to run Xbox Series X games at a lower resolution.

Huge difference.

jm89

You understand low stock sells fast right? You are kinda proving the point in your 2nd paragraph.

The fact that there is alot xss, attributes to higher stock. You dont struggle selling 10 consoles. You will sell them fast.

Parent won't spend 500$, when there is 300$ console for their kids. They won't do it. They are casuals for a reason.
They have higher stock that is not selling a huge amount, if you look at the countries we have sales data the diffrence between sales of XSS and XSX isn't that big, this is whilst there is plenty of XSS in stock, alot of casuals people are waiting for XSX to comeback in stock than rather get the XSS. Parents are paying scalpers right now to get a hold of XSX rather than get and XSS, you only need to go on twitter and see that.

Ozriel

M$FT
It's the enthusiasts who have a problem with it. It's the same with any market. People would buy any cheap and cheerful shit but go into enthusiast forums for that market and people aren't fans of it. I mean if I go into a motorhead forum I don't think there would be many fiat 500 fans but it doesn't mean they don't drive. The fiat 500 still sells though.

Nah. It’s not the same. Go to any PC gaming forum with a GTX 1060 and you’ll get tips on how to optimize your gaming for that card. Not pompous gits with RTX3080 cards shitting on you.

Yet to see any Tesla Model S owners crap on Model 3 owners.

It’s mainly insecure console owners.

kingfey

Banned
They have higher stock that is not selling a huge amount, if you look at the countries we have sales data the diffrence between sales of XSS and XSX isn't that big, this is whilst there is plenty of XSS in stock, alot of casuals people are waiting for XSX to comeback in stock than rather get the XSS. Parents are paying scalpers right now to get a hold of XSX rather than get and XSS, you only need to go on twitter and see that.
Difference between xsx and xss in Japan is 17k. Xsx is at 67k, while xss is at 50k. Following the Japanese trend, there is demand for the xss. And its selling alot.

The more xss ms makes, the more it will sell.

Also your Twitter metric is hilarious. No parents follows that shit. That is how shit your point is. I doubt you know what casual spend.

I am a casual. The only thing that stops me from xss is storage. Otherwise, I would bought it day1. Still, I won't spend 500$ on xsx. 500$ is alot of money to spend for a person like me.

Ozriel

M$FT
So why can’t it run games in native 4K like the Xbox one X that was released in 2017?

I am sure Phil has some of you on pay roll in this thread … 😆

the Series S has a CPU that’s more than twice as fast as the Jaguar CPU in the One X. In most cases, it runs cross gen games at double the framerate of the One X.

imagine thinking performance is solely about resolution.

Jaysen

Banned
The switch is also a handheld. A good amount of people who use the switch don’t even hook it up to the TV. That’s why Nintendo created the switch lite.

When it comes to electronics price is a small factor. People will spend money they don’t have to get the best version phone, TV and console.

Let’s be honest if this shortage wasn’t a issue the disc PS5, Series X and Nintendo Switch would out sell the Series S by a land slide.

I think people in this thread think everyone is out to hate on the Series S but it’s really just the reality that the Xbox Series X will never hit it’s potential from a tech standpoint because of the Series S and that’s a fact.
And millions upon millions connect them to 4K TVs. That’s why Nintendo created docks, and also why Nintendo updated the dock with Ethernet, because they knew the demand was there.

jm89

Difference between xsx and xss in Japan is 17k. Xsx is at 67k, while xss is at 50k. Following the Japanese trend, there is demand for the xss. And its selling alot.

The more xss ms makes, the more it will sell.

Also your Twitter metric is hilarious. No parents follows that shit. That is how shit your point is. I doubt you know what casual spend.

I am a casual. The only thing that stops me from xss is storage. Otherwise, I would bought it day1. Still, I won't spend 500$ on xsx. 500$ is alot of money to spend for a person like me.
But there is more demand for the XSX even with plenty of XSS stock, the fact that XSX is selling more or close to the XSS even with it's scarcity shows alot of people are waiting for XSX. XSS is selling but would be overshadowed if XSX was in stock.

The fact that you discount twitter shows how detached you are. You honestly think this entire year people have just walked into a store and got one easily? Most of those sales are happening online with twitter accounts putting out tweets they are in stock and are gone within minutes. Stores have allowed people to queue up in the last few months but they are nowhere close to the frequency of stock drops and sales that happen online.

Rykan

General people just care if they can play COD/Fortnite/FIFA/Madden. If they can do that for $300 and it looks better than their current system, then they buy it.
And if General people find out they can play CoD/Fortnite/FiFA/Madden on a box that looks significantly better for just 100$ more, they'll go with that.

I'm always puzzled by the assumption that "Casuals" or "Main stream" gamers don't care about graphics or would only go for the cheapest option. That argument is based on no evidence at all.

kingfey

Banned
But there is more demand for the XSX even with plenty of XSS stock, the fact that XSX is selling more or close to the XSS even with it's scarcity shows alot of people are waiting for XSX. XSS is selling but would be overshadowed if XSX was in stock.

The fact that you discount twitter shows how detached you are. You honestly think this entire year people have just walked into a store and got one easily? Most of those sales are happening online with twitter accounts putting out tweets they are in stock and are gone within minutes. Stores have allowed people to queue up in the last few months but they are nowhere close to the frequency of stock drops and sales that happen online.
The fact that you showed Twitter out of all, shows how detached you are.

I am well aware of how demanding the xsx. The main reason for that, is the low supply, which generates more buzz. Since the current stock for xsx cant satisfy everyone, the console will be higher demanding. Its why people are glued to their phone, checking the next available stock.

Xss isn't scarce, giving that its available for people to buy it. Scarce would be, when something is hard to find. The current supply for xss contradicts that.

When xsx has more supply, the demand for it would be low. But as of now, that isn't happening due to the shortages.

kingfey

Banned
And if General people find out they can play CoD/Fortnite/FiFA/Madden on a box that looks significantly better for just 100$ more, they'll go with that.

I'm always puzzled by the assumption that "Casuals" or "Main stream" gamers don't care about graphics or would only go for the cheapest option. That argument is based on no evidence at all.
You are advocating for people to spend more money.
Sorry buddy, world doesn't work that way. Not everyone has disposable income as you. People will away go for cheaper option, since they have no choice, due to the budget.

Looks are for rich people. Poor people are satisfied enough with normal graphics. As long as they get to play games.

Your point is coming off as someone who scream people to buy 3090, instead of 1060, because 3090 has better graphics.

As somone who works at walmart, people are trying to get whatever they can. Most desired console is the switch hands down, i get more questions about it than everything else combined. And alot of parents are buying series S's for 1, they're most of the time the only console in stock. And 2, they don't understand the difference between the S and X and think they're buying the same thing.

Rykan

Sorry buddy, world doesn't work that way. Not everyone has disposable income as you. People will away go for cheaper option, since they have no choice, due to the budget.

Looks are for rich people. Poor people are satisfied enough with normal graphics. As long as they get to play games.

Your point is coming off as someone who scream people to buy 3090, instead of 1060, because 3090 has better graphics.
You seem to have this extremely weird concept that "most people" are poor who will always go for the cheapest option. This simply isn't based on anything at all. The Xbox one was cheaper than the PS4 when it dropped Kinect. PS4 outsold it. The Xbox 360 was cheaper than the PS3. The PS3 still outsold it. The Gamecube was the cheapest option in that generation: The PS2 smashed it and the PS5 will also smash the Series S.

comparing it to a 3090 and 1060 is just ridiculous. The price difference between a 3090 and 1060 is like 1200$. The price difference between a PS5 DE and Series S is 100$. This isn't a comparison.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Series a is in demand because it isn’t claimed to be the most powerful but because it’s the only console available. Microsoft pumped money into the series s and x but it’s hard to get a series x so what happens they spend it on a series s, a less powerful console.

Deerock71

Eh, I get what the guy is trying to say, not gonna split hairs over the semantics. Bottom line is people are buying lots of XSSes right now. Cool.

Side note, I think the most likely use of the S as a “companion console” is with a PS5. I am guessing people still have DVDs/BluRays, and neither the Switch nor PS5D can play them. And those who have the X don’t need an S. Probably.
Oddly enough, the XSS will likely be a companion piece to my XOX.

Hari Seldon

I do 95% of my gaming on a PC and have a PS5 which I don’t touch. I bought a XSS primarily because it is small and I couldn’t fit both an XSX and a PS5 on my tv stand. The other reason is that forza and halo finally broke me down and I got gamepass, so if I’m paying for it on PC I might as well just pay a little more and get it on both.

oldergamer

I bought a series S for my brother at Walmart. last weekend I was shocked they had 4 or 5 in stock. He won't care about 4k like most of the public or that a game can use dynamic res. That is honestly something only us nerds in forums give a shit about. The general public are fine with 1080p or even 720p.

Series S was probably the smartest move MS made this gen. With the chip shortage continuing, they can still produce an amount of these devices. Not only that, they will likely drop price when they are able to manufacture more consoles. I have a seriex X, but I keep thinking the S would make an excellent Kodi/emulator box

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

I don't know if I'd phrase it like that. They were in a tough spot to be sure, that's why the big move of the Bethesda acquisition was such a master stroke. It allowed them to sell the "hopes and dreams" aspect just a bit longer until things started to hit. GP is huge for MS, so they were always going to sell that as the primary reason to buy-in to Xbox. I think the management has been completely on point. I'd much rather that they shore up first-party indefinitely than do the stop gap thing with 3rd party.

I honestly thought they would launch a little flat and need to make it up later. The fact that they've done this well even before the steady stream of first-party hits only makes me more bullish about where they'll be in the future. This gen is going to surprise some people I think.

I wouldn't sleep on the smaller studios they picked up earlier before Bethesda either. NT seems like a graphical powerhouse while Obsidian shouldn't never be counted out.

You seem to have this extremely weird concept that "most people" are poor who will always go for the cheapest option. This simply isn't based on anything at all. The Xbox one was cheaper than the PS4 when it dropped Kinect. PS4 outsold it. The Xbox 360 was cheaper than the PS3. The PS3 still outsold it. The Gamecube was the cheapest option in that generation: The PS2 smashed it and the PS5 will also smash the Series S.

comparing it to a 3090 and 1060 is just ridiculous. The price difference between a 3090 and 1060 is like 1200$. The price difference between a PS5 DE and Series S is 100$. This isn't a comparison.
The Xbox One wasn't cheaper than PS before holiday 2014. And guess what. Xbox One outsold the PS4 during that time.

But the Xbox One also was weaker and later in the gen had worse game output. And now you have to battle against the market leader.

By year 4 Ps4 sold more at a higher price.
Your Ps3 and Xbox 360 claims are soo wrong.
When Ps3 was more expensive, it sold less. And later in the gen, PS3 was even cheaper than the non entry X360 models.

It's a combination of all factors, but price is one of the most important.

oldergamer

Series a is in demand because it isn’t claimed to be the most powerful but because it’s the only console available. Microsoft pumped money into the series s and x but it’s hard to get a series x so what happens they spend it on a series s, a less powerful console.
To most, it doesn't matter if its less powerful, but more important it can't play the same games.

FrankWza

It also never gets answered but when the PS5 and XSX to a much lesser extent doesn't run a game at 4k no one bats an eye but when the XSS doesn't run a game at 1440p MS lied to its customers. So crazy the standard the budget box is held to.
Maybe the reason is the s is taking away developers time that could be better spent on the premium consoles. All so people could save $100.
So as far as series X being held back by the series S being "a fact", that's a complete fiction created here on these boards.
So is the thought that series s isn’t holding back devs from devoting time to the premium consoles.
In defense of the consumer the PS4 Pro sucked
Imagine if someone typed this about 1x.
The medium
Hahaha
The Xbox Series S was designed to run Xbox Series X games at a lower resolution.
There are no series x games. FS is a pc game that went to both consoles.

Rykan

The Xbox One wasn't cheaper than PS before holiday 2014. And guess what. Xbox One outsold the PS4 during that time.
The Xbox one became cheaper after they dropped the Kinect. At no point did the Xbox One outsell the PS4 for any significant amount of time.
But the Xbox One also was weaker and later in the gen had worse game output. And now you have to battle against the market leader.
Exactly my point. Hardware specs matter.
By year 4 Ps4 sold more at a higher price.
Your Ps3 and Xbox 360 claims are soo wrong.
When Ps3 was more expensive, it sold less. And later in the gen, PS3 was even cheaper than the non entry X360 models.
...But it had an entry model that was cheaper? You claim I'm wrong but then say that I'm right. The Xbox 360 had a cheaper model (which according to the person I'm responding to means you sell the most) and yet it was outsold by the PS3 eventually. Again, at no point was the PS3 cheaper than the Xbox360. Even the cheapest superslim was still more expensive than the Xbox 360.

FrankWza

, they don't understand the difference between the S and X and think they're buying the same thing.
Wait until the storage drive space runs out and they find out they need a proprietary drive that costs over half the console price.
Sony managed to put out a cheaper option that only sacrificed a disc drive. I’m pretty sure anyone opposed to the s existing would be perfectly content with that. If you can’t afford $400 over $300 you need to find a cheaper hobby or make other sacrifices to get it. Especially when you will be spending more than $400 when you upgrade that storage.

kingfey

Banned
Wait until the storage drive space runs out and they find out they need a proprietary drive that costs over half the console price.

Sony managed to put out a cheaper option that only sacrificed a disc drive. I’m pretty sure anyone opposed to the s existing would be perfectly content with that. If you can’t afford $400 over $300 you need to find a cheaper hobby or make other sacrifices to get it. Especially when you will be spending more than $400 when you upgrade that storage.
Let me see, people should spend alot of money, or they should get another hobby. Got it then.

FrankWza

Let me see, people should spend alot of money, or they should get another hobby. Got it then.
Is that what I said? I said from $300-$400 It’s not a lot of money. It’s $100 more. If that is putting you out or if it’s a decision you’re going to lose sleep over then yes, find something else to do because having a new product isn’t your priority. All of the questions and doubts and BS surrounding the series s and all the time being wasted instead of devoting development time to another system could have easily been avoided by making an all digital series x that was $100. Hell, they could have put the same small SSD in it and charged $349 or $359. And by the way, it’s Sunday morning and it’s still available at Bestbuy, GameStop, target…..you get the idea.

I think this is a bit misleading… they’re selling as many PS5’s and Series X’s as they can make
Which is not enough to outsells the series S. Nothing misleading about it.

people want those 60 frames and they are saving $200 in the process. Probably saving a couple hundred more if you count gamepass

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Is that what I said? I said from $300-$400 It’s not a lot of money. It’s $100 more.

Haven't payed attention to the sales trajectory of previous generations at all then? It is typical for sales to start to level off at a certain point, then the price drop by $50 or $100 reinvigorates sales. Proof positive that there are buyers that simply will not jump past a specific price point. That's just reality.

Maybe the reason is the s is taking away developers time that could be better spent on the premium consoles. All so people could save $100.

So is the thought that series s isn’t holding back devs from devoting time to the premium consoles.

Imagine if someone typed this about 1x.

Hahaha

There are no series x games. FS is a pc game that went to both consoles.
Too much hurt in this post.

kingfey

Banned
Is that what I said? I said from $300-$400 It’s not a lot of money. It’s $100 more. If that is putting you out or if it’s a decision you’re going to lose sleep over then yes, find something else to do because having a new product isn’t your priority. All of the questions and doubts and BS surrounding the series s and all the time being wasted instead of devoting development time to another system could have easily been avoided by making an all digital series x that was $100. Hell, they could have put the same small SSD in it and charged $349 or $359. And by the way, it’s Sunday morning and it’s still available at Bestbuy, GameStop, target…..you get the idea.
You are saying people should just buy the ps4D, instead of xbox cheapest option. That is your 1st mistake.

2nd, how will people play xbox games on ps5d? Like how?

We have a console, that is 300$. That does what the xsx do. Which is playing the games.

The xss development is on MS part. But that 300$ price is great point for that console. Its good entry for gamers who want to play next gen games.

And the fact that you said its available now, allows people to buy that console.

Show me now, which website has ps5/xsx currently? None. The availability of that console now is great news for gamers, who want to experience next gen games. Its isnt a bad news for xss.

FrankWza

Haven't payed attention to the sales trajectory of previous generations at all then? It is typical for sales to start to level off at a certain point, then the price drop by $50 or $100 reinvigorates sales. Proof positive that there are buyers that simply will not jump past a specific price point. That's just reality.
I guess you haven’t paid attention to the world we live in today. The series x is going for and selling at 35-40% above retail and the ps5 is higher. You know what’s happening with graphics cards too. If you want to know what demand is, look to reseller sites. That’s the true value of something. When you take away the marketing aspect of companies not want to hit certain price points from the equation you see what something is worth….what someone is willing to pay for it. Even PS4 pro trade in value at GameStop is $275 and are selling for more than that new.
Too much hurt in this post.
Those are 5 posts genius
Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

You are saying people should just buy the ps4D, instead of xbox cheapest option. That is your 1st mistake.

2nd, how will people play xbox games on ps5d? Like how?

We have a console, that is 300$. That does what the xsx do. Which is playing the games.

The xss development is on MS part. But that 300$ price is great point for that console. Its good entry for gamers who want to play next gen games.

And the fact that you said its available now, allows people to buy that console.

Show me now, which website has ps5/xsx currently? None. The availability of that console now is great news for gamers, who want to experience next gen games. Its isnt a bad news for xss.
You’re wasting your effort trying to explain things to people who are ideologically possessed. His worship of Sony runs so deep that he is no longer able to think like an objective consumer. Just bullshit point after bullshit point saying nothing of consequence or actual meaning.

His self worth is intertwined with a video game company.

I guess you haven’t paid attention to the world we live in today. The series x is going for and selling at 35-40% above retail and the ps5 is higher. You know what’s happening with graphics cards too. If you want to know what demand is, look to reseller sites. That’s the true value of something. When you take away the marketing aspect of companies not want to hit certain price points from the equation you see what something is worth….what someone is willing to pay for it. Even PS4 pro trade in value at GameStop is $275 and are selling for more than that new.

Those are 5 posts genius
You’re struggling to make any sort of cogent post. It’s quite entertaining watching you flail so dedicated so wrong.

FrankWza

Nope. I said they should have just made an all digital x and priced it at $400 or put in a smaller drive and charged $349-359.

DaGwaphics

Those are 5 posts genius

There are certain people that will pay above MSRP, sure. However, I'm sure that number is far outnumbered by those smart enough to never pay a penny more than MSRP. It is what it is.

Chiggs

My mom surprised me with a Series S after Thanksgiving dinner. Had to endure an 8 hour drive home from Florida before I could hook it up, but my initial impressions are extremely positive. Currently using it in my bedroom, with my Series X in the living room.

FrankWza

There are certain people that will pay above MSRP, sure. However, I'm sure that number is far outnumbered by those smart enough to never pay a penny more than MSRP. It is what it is.
Sure. But now you don’t have much of a choice. Either you pay it or wait. But the point I was making is, if the series s is such a bargain, you would still see it selling out and even going for markups. It’s not. And it’s without a doubt the best deal in gaming right now. I’ve said it plenty of times. A series s and gamepass for 3 years @ $480 plus tax is pretty good. It just has too many shortcomings that could have easily been avoided or completely avoided with a digital series x for $100 or less more.Since there is no precedent for this type of console, we don’t know how it will alter game developers approach for the duration of this gen. So far, it seems to be a distraction.

DaGwaphics

Sure. But now you don’t have much of a choice. Either you pay it or wait. But the point I was making is, if the series s is such a bargain, you would still see it selling out and even going for markups. It’s not. And it’s without a doubt the best deal in gaming right now. I’ve said it plenty of times. A series s and gamepass for 3 years @ $480 plus tax is pretty good. It just has too many shortcomings that could have easily been avoided or completely avoided with a digital series x for $100 or less more.Since there is no precedent for this type of console, we don’t know how it will alter game developers approach for the duration of this gen. So far, it seems to be a distraction.

I've never argued that demand was not higher for XSX/PS5. That's perfectly fine.

The XSS doesn't have to sellout in seconds to be a success. It's already proven itself and will represent a healthy percentage of lifetime Xbox series sales. Once last-gen gets axed in terms of local play, there will be an increase in interest in XSS. But it is doing just fine now.

teezzy

Banned
General people just care if they can play COD/Fortnite/FIFA/Madden. If they can do that for $300 and it looks better than their current system, then they buy it.

I'd actually argue that these people seem to have things figured out more than the enthusiast crowd. Seems like a far more relaxed and healthy approach to the hobby.

kingfey

Banned
Nope. I said they should have just made an all digital x and priced it at $400 or put in a smaller drive and charged $349-359.
You are shunning people away from next gen consoles.
We in a pandemic. 400$ will still make people hesitant to buy your console.

MS has 1 goal, sell gamepass. They are doing this with 300$ console. Gamepass+300$ console is an instant buy for people during this pandemic. Since its cheaper for them to pay for gamepass, than pay 60$ for games.

Look at switch. 300$ console, and its selling alot. If Nintendo did it 400$, not alot of people will buy it.

JLB

Banned
The conclusion in the title of this thread is literally counterfactual. Maybe if all consoles were fully available xbox series S could still be the #1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom