• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The most popular game console on Black Friday 2021 isn't the PlayStation 5 — it's the $300 Xbox Series S (due to availability)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So why can’t it run games in native 4K like the Xbox one X that was released in 2017?

I am sure Phil has some of you on pay roll in this thread … 😆
You must have missed the million promotional pieces that clearly stated it was DESIGNED to run games at 1440p resolutions or less. System power is not solely derived from the max resolution the games run at. Name a game on the X1X that has hardware based raytracing. Just one. Someone should pay you to go learn what you are talking about before popping off.

People are happy to buy a SeriesS most likely for a number of reasons.

Imo SeriesS is a calculated and clever move. A 2nd console option, impulse buy, family console, budget console, not other consoles in stock, gamepass portal, Xbox exclusives portal.

Whatever the reason Xbox is happy.

Its certainly a different approach instead of going toe to toe with the competition (they are doing that too), its like a "why not both 🤷" strategy
Welcome back. Please try not to get banned anymore you have some insightful commentary.

Not really. Just look at the situation in Europe xss sitting on shelves whilst xsx sells out within minutes, the demand from casuals is more towards xsx than xss.

One of the biggest European markets for xbox is the uk and you can easily buy xss right now and some retailers have offered discounts in the past to get rid of them. Just go check stock alert accounts for xbox the majority of people are asking for xsx, hell I've seen people come on ps5 stock alert account and ask for xsx and these are casuals trying to find a console for their kids for christmas.
The Xbox hasn't been really huge in the UK since the X360. The X1 was not nearly as popular and that is a big part of the slower adoption of the XSS is due to the drop in popularity of the Xbox brand. The XSX is so scarce it isn't a good indicator of overall popularity. MS will have to rebuild the good will it lost last generation. Thankfully they are off a much better start than last generation.

Maybe the reason is the s is taking away developers time that could be better spent on the premium consoles. All so people could save $100.
Then those developers are going to be happy to learn the XDK allows for multiple versions of games to be made in a single development cycle. Also the XSS is $200 cheaper than the the XSX. Someone looking to get on Gamepass can't find a cheaper place to do that. Of course I'm sure you knew that since we can always rely on your vast knowledge of all things Xbox right Frank?

Stuart360

I think so, especially among the casual crowd. Also cant help but lol at how triggering this thread was for some gaf users
For me i think XSX will sell more when we get to the end of the gen. Itts simply impossible to judge this stuff when XSX is still so hard to find, while XSS is widely available.
There is no doubt XSS will do well with the casuals though, and with parents at Christmas, birthdays, etc.

Umbasaborne

Banned
For me i think XSX will sell more when we get to the end of the gen. Itts simply impossible to judge this stuff when XSX is still so hard to find, while XSS is widely available.
There is no doubt XSS will do well with the casuals though, and with parents at Christmas, birthdays, etc.
Yeah absolutley. I think youll have kids who get a series s now then in 5 years when they are a little older will want a series x

Depends how cheap the Series X will get over time or not
Outselling the Switch is a big deal.
The Switch OLED.
Not all Switch SKUs combined

ManaByte

They made a XSS bundle with a Fortnite skin but they didn't do the same with the XSX. Why? Because they know parents will buy their Fortnite obsessed kid a $299 next gen console, but they won't buy them a $499 one.

MonarchJT

Banned
It would appear that all the bets Spencer and Xbox have made are paying dividends in the end. Gamepass is growing immensely, releasing on PC makes Microsoft titles consistently in the top 10 of steam sales, Producing more XSS than XSX knowing that in a period of gifts (and post COVID) a next gen console would have sold easily and at the same time being full digital ... every XSS sold is very, very, very very likely that it will turn into a gamepass subscription....which for Microsoft is even more important than the hardware sale itself

Last edited:

Goalus

It would appear that all the bets Spencer and Xbox have made are paying dividends in the end. Gamepass is growing immensely, releasing on PC makes Microsoft titles consistently in the top 10 of steam sales, Producing more XSS than XSX knowing that in a period of gifts (and post COVID) a next gen console would have sold easily and at the same time being full digital ... every XSS sold is very, very, very very likely that it will turn into a gamepass subscription....which for Microsoft is even more important than the hardware sale itself
Yes.
Good summary.

ManaByte

• Games released on Xbox/Windows/Steam
  • Cloud streaming on Phones/Tablets/TVs
  • Monthly subscription to access all first-party games on day 1
  • $299 entry to next gen, $499 option for high-end
"When everybody plays, we all win"

FrankWza

Also the XSS is $200 cheaper than the the XSX.
Not if they had just released a $400 digital x which is what I was saying.
Then those developers are going to be happy to learn the XDK allows for multiple versions of games to be made in a single development cycle.
would have been even easier and no doubt if they made the digital x. Maybe those series x games wouldn’t have some of those bugs?
Of course I'm sure you knew that since we can always rely on your vast knowledge of all things Xbox right Frank?
Hell no! I thought gamepass was $1 a month and it was actually $1 for 3 years(.03 cents a month) I thought the subscriber numbers would be over 30 million and I was over by 40%(only 21 million) I thought the s and gamepass was the best value in gaming and here they are sitting on shelves on the biggest shopping weekend of the year. And I also thought the series s would be discontinued within 2 years and then Microsoft decided to gimp series x production for their servers and made a ton of s consoles available within the same quarter they released 2 flagship titles. I’m wrong a lot.

M16

Best selling individual sku =/ bestselling platform.
That's the point.
you said the switch oled, i corrected you that it also beat the regular switch too. thats the point. the console that dominated black friday was the xbox series s. and based on how many series X vs switch oled there were, and how much more the series s outsold the regular switch,its very possible the xbox platform sold the most combined.

Last edited:

MrA

Banned
you said the switch oled, i corrected you that it also beat the regular switch too. thats the point. the console that dominated black friday was the xbox series s
Saying dominated is a bit of a stretch without numbers, obviously xss did well,
But it also doesn't answer if xsx+xss out performed switch+switch oled+switch lite on the strength of xss

M16

Saying dominated is a bit of a stretch without numbers, obviously xss did well,
But it also doesn't answer if xsx+xss out performed switch+switch oled+switch lite on the strength of xss
from the business insider article. "An unlikely video game console is dominating sales on one of the biggest shopping days of the year: The $300 Xbox Series S console from Microsoft, according to the Adobe Digital Economy Index."

Last edited:

Neo_game

I don't think the APU is the most expensive component any more. A single 16gbit GDDR6 chip costs almost $30 these days. Sony/MS will obviously have different contracts but even at half price then it's still $120 for the 8 chips in a PS5.

Given the shortage then I don't think it's surprising that MS would prioritize the Series S. It only needs 5 chips compared with 6+4 in the X so they can probably produce a lot more of them. And in return they gain more GP subscribers and software sales.

Yes RAM and SSD also adds up. But I think they already compromised on it. Because the initial plan was to have 20gb for SX and PS5 memory was suppose to run at 16ghz to give 512gb/sec according to github leak.

twilo99

People cant seem to accept that fact. They think you need 3080 like console to enjoy the next gen games. Most pc gamers play dota, counter strike and those low end gaming pc games. same thing for consoles. Graphics or fps is just rich people's word.

Ye, most games are developed with that mind.. devs know what kind of install base they need to cater to.

It's mainly for show on forums and social media where Series S gets hate. People who spend all of their time talking about video games are the ones who have the problem with it. People who actually play video games don't have a problem with it.

Seems to be that way, but I think the negative marketing the media managed to generate around the series s will certainly turn people away, they don't even know why, but they want an series x ..

Kagey K

Banned
I thought the s and gamepass was the best value in gaming and here they are sitting on shelves on the biggest shopping weekend of the year. And I also thought the series s would be discontinued within 2 years and then Microsoft decided to gimp series x production for their servers and made a ton of s consoles available within the same quarter they released 2 flagship titles. I’m wrong a lot.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Ooh Xbox Series X is available now on the same website! Get in!

ManaByte

People being salty in this thread because the Green Rat Army is growing? That was inevitable.
rats GIF

TLZ

Banned
Says site unavailable when I click your link.

They never updated the tweet, in the comments they say still available.
I tried here, scrolled all the way down and says out of stock. So I figured that’s what that other link being not available meant.

So why can’t it run games in native 4K like the Xbox one X that was released in 2017?

I am sure Phil has some of you on pay roll in this thread … 😆
Who cares about 4k when you’re stuck in the mud at 30 frames?

last gen systems were ass because they couldn’t have the horse power for field of view changes and solid 60 frames. The S brings that next gen feature to people who want that.

ManaByte

last gen systems were ass because they couldn’t have the horse power for field of view changes and solid 60 frames. The S brings that next gen feature to people who want that.

I don't think people get that the S has the Zen CPU and RDNA2 GPU that the X has and it's not stuck with the shitty Jaguar CPU the previous gen had.

Last edited:

johnjohn

Nope. I said they should have just made an all digital x and priced it at $400 or put in a smaller drive and charged $349-359.
But that's more expensive than the Series S... The Series S' price point is what's going to help it continue to sell well as the gen goes on and the Series X and PS5 refuse to drop in price.

Topher

Gold Member
The logic "console is available = the console does not sell" is ridiculous.

Who said XSS "does not sell"? If someone said that then they are obviously incorrect. I think most are saying the console is selling so well because it is more widely available. Personally, I think XSX and PS5 would outsell XSS easily if supply were not an issue.

Last edited:

Del_X

This "well it's all that was available!" argument is pure cope. People didn't buy the Wii U and it was pretty available. People buy things they want. We're past enhanced UI and free stimmies (for the time being) so people will naturally buy what they can afford and $300 has always been an attractive/reasonable price for a game console.

DaGwaphics

This "well it's all that was available!" argument is pure cope. People didn't buy the Wii U and it was pretty available. People buy things they want. We're past enhanced UI and free stimmies (for the time being) so people will naturally buy what they can afford and $300 has always been an attractive/reasonable price for a game console.

Yeah, availability definitely didn't help the DreamCast much when PS2 was sold out. A game console is a long-term buy, you don't just grab whatever is there if what you want is unavailable. If it worked like that the new Atari VCS would be flying off shelves.

Topher

Gold Member
Yeah, availability definitely didn't help the DreamCast much when PS2 was sold out. A game console is a long-term buy, you don't just grab whatever is there if what you want is unavailable. If it worked like that the new Atari VCS would be flying off shelves.

I don't get comparing XSS to failed consoles though. How are we getting from the XSS being "available" to XSS being characterized as a failure? XSS is obviously not a failure. The question here is whether XSS is "more popular" than XSX or PS5 or is it outselling those because XSX and PS5 are more constrained by the supply. The answer is obviously speculative regardless.

Last edited:
It's a tad surprising that on a tech based gaming forum there's comments like these that prove that people don't know anything about tech.

1- The Xbox One X was designed to run base Xbox One games at a higher resolution.

2- The Xbox Series S was designed to run Xbox Series X games at a lower resolution.

Huge difference.

You just made my point in response to the person I was directing it too.

The Series S can't do what a console that was released in 2017 (previous gen) can do, that was the point. If you go back and read the comment I was responding to, you would have a better understanding of the context of the comment.

Never said anything about FPS or that anyone preferred 4K to 1080p.

I simply said the Xbox Series S can't do what a console from the previous gen can do in response to someone saying other wise.

People need to stop taking comments about the Series S as personally attacks its ridiculous you are not being paid by MS to push Series S sales.

Last edited:

ManaByte

You just made my point in response to the person I was directing it too.

The Series S can't do what a console that was released in 2017 (previous gen) can do, that was the point. If you go back and read the comment I was responding to, you would have a better understanding of the context of the comment.

Never said anything about FPS or that anyone preferred 4K to 1080p.

I simply said the Xbox Series S can't do what a console from the previous gen can do in response to someone saying other wise.

People need to stop taking comments about the Series S as personally attacks its ridiculous you are not being paid by MS to push Series S sales.

The Series S is a 1080p/1440p console. It's not meant to be a 4K console.

kingfey

Banned
can that little console do 120fps? or 60fps? can the games on that console run faster?

Because that is what the series S can do. That little console can run the game faster, has 60-120 fps support.

That's pretty naïve.

This thread sums it up, some people buy it just because there is nothing else to buy.

A fair few people in there wanted something / anything and immediately regretted it. And go on to advice the OP against the idea. It happens.

I feel sorry for them then because they have zero impulse control and I fear what other things they've purchased without considering it as a need vs. a want.

Even so, people always have regret over certain purchases. I've seen people have regret picking up Series X's and PS5s as well, there's been enough of those types online to blow up some one-off anecdotal incidents as if it's a recurring theme when it isn't, so what?

Fact is, people still purchased it, they didn't NEED to purchase one and the fact they did so anyway means they had some desire to buy it. Like I've said, no one just blows away $300 on something they don't want and if they do and aren't fat in the pockets, they should go get help from a financing expert and maybe a psychiatrist.

There's no downplaying.

Many Xbox fans don't want to accept the fact that the Xbox Series S is readily available compared to the Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5.

1. It's widely available during Black Friday week
2. It's still in stock at many retailers.

No one can really dispute this. The only thing people are going to say is, "you're downplaying it" Because they don't want to accept the truth.

If it's the best-selling game console for BF, and still in stock, why are you so mad about Series S's sales and not more concerned with how shit supply is for Sony and apparently Nintendo?

Also, what about all the months Switch was outselling PS5 while also being readily available? Does that mean Switch wasn't selling?

As explained in the article this is just due to availability.
It's not just the PS5, it outsold the Switch as well during that particular day.
It was basically the only console widely available.
PS5, Switch and XSX are selling out in seconds as soon as new stock is available.
In the end it's meaningless since what should be compared are total shipments throughout the week and whole month and we know that Nintendo is going to win that with Sony in second place.

The sheer amount of cope in this one post is laughable. None of this has anything to do with Black Friday, you're just looking for something to comfort you and apparently that comfort involves Xbox coming in 3rd with console sales for the month.

Unbelievable how hard it is for some of you to either just give Xbox a simple congrats or just shut up if you can only try downplaying in whatever way you like to downplay. Egos are extremely fragile ITT.

The problem with your point is that ms is just happy with the money their studio's is making.
They need games from these studios on their system. That is main reason they bought it for them.
They aren't going for the money they are bringing. They want new games to drop on their system. We aren't seeing that right now. That is the entire point.
Roadmap is good. But you need games asap. Industries like this dont wait for future games. You will leave your customers restless.

One of the main reason X1 failed badly, was the decline of the 1st party games. All we saw for this gen right now, is repeat of old IP, and 1 Kickstart game.

It will improve in the future, but as of now, I dont see anything new from MS.

TBF, what does Sony have that's genuinely new? Astro's Playroom is a spinoff in a pre-existing IP. Miles Morales was a content expansion for a 2018 game. Demon's Souls was a remake of a 2009 game. Sackboy's Big Adventure is a weaker Super Mario 3D World for an IP from the PS3 days. Rift Apart is yet another sequel in a series dating back to 2002. The only major new game from them so far has been Returnal, as Destruction All-Stars was a mediocre take on vehicle combat (and basically Sony's Bleeding Edge in terms of failed new IP).

Same can be said of Nintendo, even. Metroid Dread is basically Super Metroid mixed with some Dark Souls, but it's a sequel in a series dating back to the 1980s. Every Mario game they've released the past year is just a sequel in one of the many spinoff genre Mario games that've been around since the late 1990s/early-mid 2000s. The new Pokemon games are yet again sequels to games in an IP going back to 1995.

You can't use the "nothing new" excuse against Microsoft when the majority of Sony and Nintendo's input the past year have also been sequels or small spins on IP that have been around for years if not decades. Your other fallacy is tying "quality" with "newness"; I don't think anyone would argue the games I just mentioned (unless specified otherwise) are bad, but they're also not really that "new", either. If the argument is quality, it's pretty clear MS's 1P has improved quite a lot in that respect. After all, FH5 and Flight Sim are two of the highest-rated games of the past year, unless MetaCritic is now no longer a metric to go by?

It's really weird seeing this argument that Microsoft aren't bringing any games, particularly in the back half of this year, when they're at the forefront of that WRT platform holders, and Nintendo somewhere behind. Sony is very far behind in that respect, but yes their 1P releases will pick up again around the early half of 2022.

Last edited:
Ok let me make this easier....

Someone commented that the Series S is better than all previous gen consoles in everyway and my response to that was "that isn't true because it does not have a feature (4K) that a previous gen consoles has.

Holy crap ... I am done with this thread :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom